AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-01-20, 00:33   Link #1
Kudryavka

Wapanese, Weeaboo

Ok how do you feel about the term wapanese? White/wannabe Japanese. I don't like it because I feel it's a term to oppress people who like anything about Japan. They say that it's only for people who truly wish they were Japanese, but I see people call someone who watches only one anime a year a wapanese... not to mention the term is not nice since it says only white people can be wapanese, and says that non-Japanese Asians can't be wapanese (!? quite obviously untrue).

And have you ever even met a typical "wapanese" before? The only ones I've read tumblr stories about had mental problems and happened to like Japanese stuff. Their problem had nothing to do with Japan...

Anyway, thought?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 00:34   Link #2
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

People should leave the name calling for the playground.

Or use more sophisticated names like "Fascist" or "Reactionary"!
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 00:38   Link #3
Kudryavka

Yea that's what I think now too!

Now the word has morphed into a terrible slur that's just used to hate on people who like Japan.

Can't say it's worse than otaku tho.
Old 2013-01-20, 00:39   Link #4
Dr. Casey

It's amusing the way that overzealous anime fans who do things like wear Naruto headbands are considered such a terrible thing, given the riff-raff that tends to infests high schools and colleges.

"Jason? He's a homophobe that beats up gay kids just for something to do, but whatever, he's cool. Sarah? She stole $1,000 from her mom for a boob job, but eh who cares. Kyle? He makes fun of Special Ed kids, but I don't really mind. Stacy, Brad, John, Carol, and Cindy? They might be braindead sociopaths that don't care about anything but drinking and doing drugs, but they sure do know how to throw a good party. Lucas, though? That kid who wears the Naruto headband? Man, FUCK that guy, I can't stand him. I hate those damn weeaboos so much."
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 00:43   Link #5
Kudryavka

^True. High school is filled with weirdos who think that the only way to solve their problems is to make other kids feel worse than them through teasing. Instead of fix yourself, bring others down.
Old 2013-01-20, 00:43   Link #6
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

It is a fashion style they like. Like their Japanese counterparts who tan themselves to look black - gyarus. Fashion itself, like media and school cliques, are symbols and are subject to popular opinion - camps fight each other to prove that they are "the right way to go".

Insults beget insults. Depending on the person's fashion sense, you could simply discuss how the colours of their clothes and shoes don't match, how their hairstyle make them look like a voodoo warlord or lolita jailbait, etc.

Of course, you might want to think twice before returning that insult on a girl.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 00:47   Link #7
Kudryavka

Yea I've heard of Japanese trying to act black, which is just as bad if not worse (then again, chances that a Japanese black wannabe in Japan will annoy an actual black person to death with their misguided views on their culture are pretty low. Unfortunately in America I have seen some people hang out with other people, including Japanese, just because of their race, like they're collectable figurines or some shit).
Old 2013-01-20, 01:00   Link #8
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

This is why I stick to most boring kind of clothing possible.

Slacks and plain shirts.

I prefer to make a statement with what I say.
Old 2013-01-20, 01:03   Link #9
Kudryavka

WHAT clothing got to do with weeaboo? Except wearing cat ears and cat tail to school.
Old 2013-01-20, 01:05   Link #10
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I personally don't like those terms, but there are people who put everything Japanese on a special pedestal like it's "the best thing since sliced bread". I haven't met someone like that, fortunately.

That said, Japanese people can be quite weird sometimes too, I admit.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 01:12   Link #11
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Oh...so that's what the neg rep I got for posting a Japanese music vid in the music forum meant...

Is that all it means? Guess those who love using these terms are more pathetic than I thought
Old 2013-01-20, 01:13   Link #12
Kudryavka

Yeah, there are weirdos everywhere.

I just hate how ppl say I'm a weeaboo b/c they think I watch a ton of Japanese cartoons. tbh I only watch them when the internet explodes in praise for a series and it's not filled with stuff I don't like, so that's only about once every two years... I watch way more American animation yet I am still not happy in my skin and want to be from the glorious Nippon.

Are Nintendo fanboys weeaboos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Oh...so that's what the neg rep I got for posting a Japanese music vid in the music forum meant...

Is that all it means? Guess those who love using these terms are more pathetic than I thought
If they used one of the two terms specifically in their neg rep that counts as harassment/slurs and can be reported. Really, calling you a name because you like Japanese music is pretty much racist...

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2013-01-20 at 01:28.
Old 2013-01-20, 01:14   Link #13
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I'll admit, people who like Japan too much can be a bit annoying. Sure there's cool Japanese stuff, but I like to eat Burgers too. Japan seems to be particularly prone to this kind of behavior (along with France, Britain and the USA).
Old 2013-01-20, 01:18   Link #14
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I've never heard of "wapanese" before, but admittedly I do use the term "weeaboo" for folk in the very rare case who take their fandoms of certain Japanese media to such extremist lengths that they wish they too were Japanese. It's just very unsettling to imagine that they desire to be a whole different race of people so intensely. It also majorly defeats the purpose of being proud of who you are.

I've never actually met a person like this thank heavens, but I have seen them, and good lord is it just embarrassing beyond belief to just watch them do their thing sometimes.

And those who abuse the term are just shallow-minded, immature folks. Unfortunately there's not much one can do except reprimand or ignore them.
Old 2013-01-20, 01:23   Link #15
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
This is why I stick to most boring kind of clothing possible.

Slacks and plain shirts.

I prefer to make a statement with what I say.
You'd make a terrible cosplayer. And that is an insult to all otaku.

Go dress better. You are a shame to all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Yea I've heard of Japanese trying to act black, which is just as bad if not worse (then again, chances that a Japanese black wannabe in Japan will annoy an actual black person to death with their misguided views on their culture are pretty low. Unfortunately in America I have seen some people hang out with other people, including Japanese, just because of their race, like they're collectable figurines or some shit).
Actually I thought it was quite silly and funny at the same time - transforming what is deemed an inferior personal quality into a fashion statement. That is like giving a middle finger to those one-track fashionistas who dress in the same way everyone else does. Striking a visual appeal otherwise from the mainstream perspective of "cool" and "nice" is no easy task, let alone popularising it.

Quote:

Bro, think of it as a funny moment that these people doesn't bother to understand fashion. There are two kinds of people with bad fashion sense - people who mix gaudy colours that burn the eyes (like this and this), and people who degrade other people's perspective of fashion. The former has lousy fashion sense, while the latter has none; with these lines, there is a part of a table to put your respect on - namely the former party who tried to make a difference from the mainstream.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 01:30   Link #16
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Actually I thought it was quite silly and funny at the same time - transforming what is deemed an inferior personal quality into a fashion statement. That is like giving a middle finger to those one-track fashionistas who dress in the same way everyone else does. Striking a visual appeal otherwise from the mainstream perspective of "cool" and "nice" is no easy task, let alone popularising it.
Umm... that's not very nice to brown people?
Old 2013-01-20, 01:35   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

He said the word, get the cricket bats and we'll paddle him

http://pbfcomics.com/71/

Old 2013-01-20, 01:37   Link #18
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
If they used one of the two terms specifically in their neg rep that counts as harassment/slurs and can be reported. Really, calling you a name because you like Japanese music is pretty much racist...
I actually thought weaboo was a spelling error and couldn't be bothered to check...so lol I guess?
Old 2013-01-20, 01:42   Link #19
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I personally don't like those terms, but there are people who put everything Japanese on a special pedestal like it's "the best thing since sliced bread". I haven't met someone like that, fortunately.
I was about to post the same thing, and unfortunately I have met such people. But the thing is that "such people" exist for all kinds of likes, fashions, etc. So you can't say that liking anime or Japanese stuff is stupid or automatically "weeaboo" based on some of the extremists.

On another forum I visit, a guy said that he "loathed the Japanese people and culture". He then explained one of the reasons as being his dislike for anime, and how it seems that people will blindly defend Japan, right or wrong, just because of that. While I myself have noticed a bias toward Japanese stuff as opposed to other Asian cultures (ex: why do we call Zen Buddhism by its Japanese name if it was founded in China?), the reason is probably historical and has something to do with Japan being the world's 2nd biggest economy, not because of an inherently skewed positive image of it from Western eyes.

The problem about weeaboos, as I see it, is not that they like Japanese stuff or anime, but because they are are shallow, obsessive, pathetic, and above all very demonstrative in their love of it, esp. in combination with the others. You have these kids who watch some animes and start to think Japan is awesome. In some combination or the other, they try to learn Japanese, watch more anime, attempt to do things "the Japanese way", and make their newfound Japaneseness known to all. Yet at the same time they are obviously failing at this. They don't really know much about Japan beyond the extremely limited idea they get from anime and perhaps a couple books or visits to a Japanese garden and the like. They are a far cry from the true enthusiast who really attempts to learn all he can about a subject.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 01:42   Link #20
Kudryavka

Quote:
I actually thought weaboo was a spelling error and couldn't be bothered to check...so lol I guess?
yea, at least reps are over so stuff like this will hopefully stop.

The original term is wapanese from "white" + "japanese". People on 4chan started harassing people who even so much as said that they liked sushi by calling them wapanese (the irony is that the accussers didn't realize how they were being straight racist in calling others names). So 4chan mods did a mass find-replace to change "wapanese" to "weeaboo" (I have no idea why that name). For w/e reason weeaboo is more popular, as is the idea that you can't like Japan if you're not Japanese.

Also funny that they never called ppl who play JPN games weeaboo.

Saintess your comment kinda shows that you think being black is inferior?