AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-08-05, 23:11   Link #1
ACSephiroth
Lucy's man

Sins of a Solar Empire

Does anyone here play this game? Its an Empire building game similar to Civilization, only in space. It involves three factions fighting for dominance of the galaxy as you take over planets and negotiate and conquer other empires. No single player campaign but it really wasn't meant to have one in the first place. My favorite faction to use is the TEC for their really strong economy and relatively cheap ships.
ACSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 03:14   Link #2
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support

I used to be pretty into it, haven't played it in ages though.

Good game.
Old 2009-08-06, 03:50   Link #3
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Same here.

Back then (I think latest patch I played is like 1.03 or 04), Advent sucked in comparison to other races (worst economy upgrades, superweapon has of dubious value, late game they're pretty much outmatched either by Vasari's 'Endless Armada' or they get blown to bits by Tec's LRMs and/or Novalith cannon), but I still played them.

I dunno, an entire army run by overzealous religious female fanatics, bent on having their revenge through their massive array of pew pew weapons was too interesting to ignore. Seriously, having a bunch of illuminators, bombers, and/or fighters blasting the enemy to smithereens with thier blue white beams was a beautiful sight to behold lol.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 09:31   Link #4
ACSephiroth
Lucy's man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Same here.

Back then (I think latest patch I played is like 1.03 or 04), Advent sucked in comparison to other races (worst economy upgrades, superweapon has of dubious value, late game they're pretty much outmatched either by Vasari's 'Endless Armada' or they get blown to bits by Tec's LRMs and/or Novalith cannon), but I still played them.

I dunno, an entire army run by overzealous religious female fanatics, bent on having their revenge through their massive array of pew pew weapons was too interesting to ignore. Seriously, having a bunch of illuminators, bombers, and/or fighters blasting the enemy to smithereens with thier blue white beams was a beautiful sight to behold lol.
Well their Radiance Battleship is pretty nice. I learned from another forum that to do anything with them is rely on their capital ships at first while you slowly reasearch for trade ports. Their starting frigates really suck though.

This game has superweapons? Which are those for each the races?

And do you guys play with pirates active or inactive? I leave it inactive since I find it unrealistic how the pirates can easily be more powerful than the strongest empire in the game.
Old 2009-08-06, 12:40   Link #5
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

I enjoyed that game. I stopped only because it takes at least 2.5 hours per game, a decent 3v3 takes 7 hours, and I no longer have that kind of time.

Quote:
Same here.

You obviously haven't tried using illuminators. They shoot beams, right? Well, they have one frontal beam dealing whatever beam damage they've specified, and two side beams dealing half that damage each, and they each fire on their own. That means if you maneuver enough (~40-50) illuminators into the enemy mass, they can deal a ridiculous amount of damage. Combined with shield projectors from support vessels and damage propagation from the Progenitor mothership, things will just die in a bright fire.

If you're trying to play with brute force, you should stick with TEC. Advent is for ridiculous shield tech, most effective culturing (they do a lot of economic damage), and crazy cap ship abilities stacking one on top of another.

LRMs fall like dominoes as soon as you get the illuminators into range.

Quote:
Well their Radiance Battleship is pretty nice. I learned from another forum that to do anything with them is rely on their capital ships at first while you slowly reasearch for trade ports. Their starting frigates really suck though.

This game has superweapons? Which are those for each the races?
You're doing it wrong. I once had only 4 trade ports as Advent and did pretty well economically. They're not supposed to be good at this. >_>

TEC has this railgun that can shoot to any system, and basically carries planet bombs. Two shots at once is enough to clear a planet most of the time.

Advent has basically the same thing, but it deals culture damage instead.

Vasari has a portal that generates units for free. (The point is to hit them before they get to set up Returning Armada.)

Hint: If you resort to superweapons, you're both way too slow. If you're Vasari I might understand because they're late-game-dominant, but these things are useless. If you have that kind of resources, spend them on teching up your ships and building more of them.

Quote:
And do you guys play with pirates active or inactive? I leave it inactive since I find it unrealistic how the pirates can easily be more powerful than the strongest empire in the game.
I always play with pirates active. It's a very clever game mechanic, and I usually just let the enemy pay them to come to me, because my cap ships just get XP from chewing them up. They're not that hard. You just need to anticipate them. I micromanaged 6-8 illuminators I spoke of above to take out an early-game pirate force.

They're not that powerful. It's one planet. Sometimes I wipe their planet out just for fun and XP. They're useful because you can use them to distract the enemy and take the lead in front of your own invasion force.

Last edited by Claies; 2009-08-06 at 12:55.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 12:54   Link #6
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Advent is Deliverance Engine. All it does is it make culture in a target well go up in your favour. If it could make an enemy system yours with multiple shots, it would have some value, but back then it can't. All you can do with it is blast a contested system so that ships in that grav well has increased firepower/shield mitigation, while the oponents ships lose a bit of theirs. Now the thing is, shots take forever to reach large maps, so coordinating your strikes and when it hits is hard, not to mention to actually get it is through culture upgrades, which isn't exactly cheap nor have a big effect in combat.

Vasari is Kostura Cannon. It only deactivates enemy structures for like a few minutes, which is lackluster to say the least. But really, their 'true' super weapon is Returning Armada, which lets you get an endless stream of ships that can either be used for money via scuttling, or obvoisuly through combat. IIRC it even let you go over your supply limit, allowing you to have larger fleets w/out the upkeep costs of higher command levels.

Tec's Novalith Cannon is by far IMO the best though. Once you get it up running, you can literally wipe away an enemy's homeworld in a shot or two. Get an entire network and you can systematically blow every world an enemy has, and there's nothing they can do about it apart from hunting down said cannons. And gee, to get it running, its up the rocket upgrade tree, where all you're improving are the LRM frigates which back then were EXTREMELY good.

As for Advent Cap ships, Progenitor is heads and tails the first ship you should get. Shield Recharge is so awesome, while Colonize helps your rather weak econ. Malice + Radiance's Cleansing Brilliance though was an auto-win against tightly clumped enemy fleets, at least back then. Now the only problem was that Tec's LRMs (if they spammed) will maul your capital ships from afar before they even get close to using it... dunno if they nerfed Javelis now.

As for pirates, I usually play it on. If I can scout out where they're going to go, it's free XP for my cap ships. And besides, a fully upgraded world with 5+ Hangars can easily dispatch any pirate attack, is enough of a deterrence that enemies can't just hit and run with siege frigates, and give enough time for your fleet to come in before you lose all the upgrades spent on that world.

@Claeis
Back then (1.03/04) Illuminators were CRAP. They dealt capital type damage, which meant that they actually did NOT do their full damage to anything but heavies. Which meant during the early to mid game, they get pwned by practically anything the enemy throws at them, while in late game Heavy Cruisers just deals so much more damage and are so much more durable on a per resource/supply basis.

And if the enemy was TEC, LRM spam will massacre you... LRMs moved fast enough that good players will retreat the section you are trying to attack while the other section pounds its way with their crazy DPS. No, the way you play against TEC back then was with a heavy carrier focus and run away as far as possible on the z axis to get away from the range of the LRMs, but even that gets trumped by a few flak turrets on their part. Hopefully you got a significant enough bomber squad to take away those flaks...

Finally, if your average game was taking 3 hours, thats way more than enough time to get superweapons. Novalith Cannon and Returning Armada were gamebreakers then, and Advent has nothing of that sort. Culture sucked because it takes time to get it off the ground, and by then either your worlds were systematically bombarded by Novaliths or you're facing a numerically superior fleet that can recoup their losses more than you can.

Of course things might have changed in the latest patches (its 1.17 now), but back then Advent were SERIOUSLY underpowered.

Last edited by DragoonKain3; 2009-08-06 at 13:17.
Old 2009-08-07, 23:21   Link #7
Tr3adst0ne
Rogue Agent

I like the game, problem is is that it's got a steep learning curve. That and it requires a certain amount of time to complete, time which I don't necessarily have enough to spend on...
Tr3adst0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 01:05   Link #8
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr3adst0ne View Post
I like the game, problem is is that it's got a steep learning curve. That and it requires a certain amount of time to complete, time which I don't necessarily have enough to spend on...
That's why I read the Ironclad forums. There are crazier people crunching those damage numbers for me. >_>

Watching other people play and seeing their builds also helps. Bots tend to teach bad habits.
Old 2009-08-08, 11:10   Link #9
Tr3adst0ne
Rogue Agent

I've been outta the loop lately and haven't played Sins for awhile. And I only played against the AI so far...
Tr3adst0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 12:23   Link #10
ACSephiroth
Lucy's man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
That's why I read the Ironclad forums. There are crazier people crunching those damage numbers for me. >_>

Watching other people play and seeing their builds also helps. Bots tend to teach bad habits.
Especially since the AI tends to abandon planets if you even have one more ship than their fleet has, which happens all the time for me .
Old 2009-08-11, 15:58   Link #11
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Now I have played around with Entrenchment, well, how times have changed.

LRM used to king of long range frigates and Illuminators the worst, now the Illuminator pwns even Heavy Cruisers with the help of guardians (which you need anyways) while LRMs are nothing more than cannon fodder for the most part.

Advent used to be the weakest in early game, now they have the best scouts/light frigates combat wise.

Novalith used to be conisdered the best superweapon and Kotsura the worst, but with Entrenchment, it's the other way around. Novalith is near useless when one can build starbases to prevent losing the planet from bombardment (novalith included) at a price of 2 starbases per 1 Novalith built. While Kotsura which did nothing in vanilla apart from damaging/stunning structures, can now move the ENTIRE fleet of the Vasari onto the targeted planet.

(Granted, they needed to buff Kotsura since Returning Armada ain't free anymore, so I understand that. XD)

And man, speaking of starbases, I thought they would be easy enough to take down. But man, they're tough to crack outside of bombers and the specially made ships designed to take them down. Made me respect a starbase with full defense upgrades, to say the least.
Old 2009-08-11, 20:10   Link #12
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Now I have played around with Entrenchment, well, how times have changed.

LRM used to king of long range frigates and Illuminators the worst, now the Illuminator pwns even Heavy Cruisers with the help of guardians (which you need anyways) while LRMs are nothing more than cannon fodder for the most part.

Advent used to be the weakest in early game, now they have the best scouts/light frigates combat wise.

Novalith used to be conisdered the best superweapon and Kotsura the worst, but with Entrenchment, it's the other way around. Novalith is near useless when one can build starbases to prevent losing the planet from bombardment (novalith included) at a price of 2 starbases per 1 Novalith built. While Kotsura which did nothing in vanilla apart from damaging/stunning structures, can now move the ENTIRE fleet of the Vasari onto the targeted planet.

(Granted, they needed to buff Kotsura since Returning Armada ain't free anymore, so I understand that. XD)

And man, speaking of starbases, I thought they would be easy enough to take down. But man, they're tough to crack outside of bombers and the specially made ships designed to take them down. Made me respect a starbase with full defense upgrades, to say the least.
And I was stunned and awed when I read that the Vasari starbase can *move*. It shouldn't surprise me, but the mental image is just amazing.

I have yet to play it (and I'm afraid that time is running out), but I've purchased it.
Old 2012-07-02, 00:29   Link #13
Velsy

I been playing this game over the last 2 weeks. I'd have to say TEC is my favourit, so I have played them the most. I dont mind the Advert, seem to always want to get the Rapture Battlcruiser. And I just cant stand the Varsai. Something about them makes my ears bleed. I thought about muting the sound when I play them, but then I'd miss out on the *pew* *pew* sound effects :/

The Kol Battleship seems to be my favourit captial ship, and the Aircraft carrier, which both makes up my first 2 Capitals for my first fleet. I've only just learned to manage my Artimiater properly, I always left skills on auto use, and during a battle I found I had no Artimiater to use skills such as finest hour or so. But now I disable auto cast and only put it on when I want the ship to use it also keeping those points for finest hour.

my 2nd fleet I like to use the Marza Dreadnaught and Dunov Battlecruiser.

One thing I I find annoying so far is I cant seem to get random map making the way I'd like it :/. And the more values I change, the worse it gets.
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 00:30   Link #14
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

What an epic revival. Well anyways, my friend wanted me to play this. While I'm looking up for things about this before deciding.
Old 2012-07-04, 14:58   Link #15
Velsy

Well couldnt be helped right? I only have Trinity and why start a new thread ? ^_^

I picked up Trinity not knowing Rebellion was coming a week later, and I was looking for a space game until I waited and checked out for Endless Space. I dont know if I should really get Rebellion, I guessing it be another $50 - $90 for new games in Australia. The Titan ships sound interesting. But I havent convinced myself if I should pretty much *repurchase* the game.... Would EB let me trade Tinity back in? and then pay the excess ?

Anyway for now I got Trinity

Theres been one thing thats bugging me atm, According to the user manual, the Kol Battleship has 2 gun laser battery, but by looking at the ship, it has 3 guns just by the hanger port.
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 17:48   Link #16
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Hmm... now this reminds me to get Rebellion. Strapped for cash for the month though.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2012-07-06, 02:19   Link #17
freshoutofthepan

I've been trying out Trinity recently too, still quite new to the game. The learning curve seems to be quite steep at the start, also since there's no campaign to help you get used to it...BUUUT, extremely fun to watch your fleets battle, especially once you have 16 capital ships on field~

And the Star Wars mod is awesome too.
freshoutofthepan is offline   Reply With Quote