AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

View Poll Results: Madoka Magica - Favourite Character(s) Poll
Kaname Madoka 131 41.85%
Akemi Homura 211 67.41%
Miki Sayaka 89 28.43%
Tomoe Mami 102 32.59%
Sakura Kyoko 132 42.17%
Kyubei 80 25.56%
Shizuki Hitomi 7 2.24%
Kamijou Kyousuke 5 1.60%
Kaname Junko 38 12.14%
Kaname Tomohisa 6 1.92%
Kaname Tatsuya 17 5.43%
Saotome Kazuko 6 1.92%
Other 7 2.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-05-06, 09:56   Link #41
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Our Holy Lady Kaname Madoka, KYOUKO-CHAN, Our Exalted Apostle Akemi Homura, Sayaka, Mami

Pretty much the main girls...
Old 2011-05-07, 08:46   Link #42
xx89
Do the Kyubey Dance ~ ♫

Favorite Characters eh?

Homura - who doesn't like a girl who's cool (referring to Hawt Homu) and Moe (referring to Megane Homu) and at the same time someone who's extremely devoted to keeping promises to her friends

Madoka - perhaps because of her selflessness, kindness (that's enough to melt all the polar ice caps in this world XD) and a brave and noble heart

Kyubei - I also have my vote for this guy... He's the most intriguing "Frienemy" anyone will ever encounter... hands down
xx89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 07:54   Link #43
kitten320

My list:
Homura - if there is anyone who doesn't like her, they must be crazy especially if they saw episode 10... She had to go through the same pain of lose over and over, not everyone can handle it. And each time she had to change her tactics and develop, I must say it is one of the best excuses as to why she acts cold towards everyone. Much better than many other characters have.

Mami - was really sad when she dies so quickly... what I really liked was tgis mysteriouse look she was giving, almost like psycho. And I liked her gun magic, she also is a nice person. Too bad she snapped in one of the lifetimes...

Kyoko
- didn't like her at first, when I saw her first I was like "Ah great, another mean character with some complecated past has appeared... so who is going to brainwash her now?". Thankfully I was wrong, she did have bad past but she was not forced by anyone to become all goody goody. She was kind hearted on her own and acted on her own as well, no one had deep into her soul to make her good like it is usually done. And it was a huge sacrifice she had done at the end. Also liked her design the most as well as the weapon, though time machine full of guns is also cool

Kyubei
- the reason I vote for him is because I can't call him cruel, more like clueless. He didn't have bad intentions, only that he was doing things wrongly and most of his logic wasn't really that much off. I had to agree with a lot of things. And now that the world has changed, he is not evil. He is just working by the new scheme that was created. And he didn't lie about wishes, he really grants all of them. Even if they back fire on him.

Junko
- because she is a nice, carrying and understanding mother. Too bad she doesn't remember Madoka anymore...
Old 2011-05-08, 09:41   Link #44
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
Oh wow, Kamijou and Kazuko have been voted for at last. Now the world's at peace.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 08:20   Link #45
Paperplane
Guy on the Couch

Homura became the most interesting character for me, considering the timp skips of conflict she had to go through for friendship. I really symphathized with her the most. Otherwise, I voted for Homura but I also liked the way Madoka came to her senses about her wish and trying to understand and resolve everyone's moments of dread and conflict. Other then that, both votes for them,
Paperplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 08:36   Link #46
Thousand Mistress
Glory to the Wind!

Send a message via Yahoo to Thousand Mistress
Kyouko - Since I love her personality and her lifestyle. We have the same attributes too XD I'm so much of a rebel. And also, her personality is what fans should look up to. She is a character that should be respected much like Homura. And she's honest too, and religious. Her weapon is basically what I use in my training, and during Episode 9, she's special that her ultimate attack has been shown for her to be able to save Sayaka. And no, I don't count Mami's Tiro Finale as an ultimate attack, it's just a signature one.

Homura - her cold-heartedness made me hate her in the first few episodes, but in the last four I started to show sympathy over her and welcomed her to my faves list. She's an amazing character at that, and would do anything to save the person important to her. Her real attitude, I miss that a lot. I cried so much at Episode 10 knowing what Homura and Madoka had gone through. The way Homura handles her weapons is magic-related (manipulating trucks and some other things, so cool~).

Sayaka - I love her because of her idiotic side. Sure, we all know she became a witch due to her feelings of depression over her loss on Hitomi, but aren't we mostly like her? We experience sad things, and we intend to get angry...Sayaka is the representation of a girl's feelings when she's madly in love. And wow, what amazed me on Sayaka is her skill to wield a sword and her extremely incredible power to heal. She's a rare Puella Magi, due to her wish having connection to her powers. AND HER WITCH FORM IS OSM TOO. XD

Madoka - One thing's for certain, I loved her at Episode 12 only. No questions asked. And yes, Kriemhild Gretchen. Yes, that. XD

lastly..

Mami - Totally loved her until her death...she was a strong and dependable character (although she denies this) and a role model. But it greatly shocks me that she can be mentally impaired when she learns the truth about the Puella Magi. We learn the truth about her true personality, and of course some of you would avoid a person like that. But for me, Mami is still a cool character and that won't change.
Old 2011-05-09, 11:32   Link #47
Snork
Twilight lander

Speaking of Sayaka's swordsmanship... Madoka's profile and CV gives us no info of her ever joining an archery club, and I'm not sure if Kyouko used to walk around with a spear since childhood either. I think it comes with magic powers. Magical girls don't have many chances to practice (especially if your weapon is like Mami's), and engaging a witch without being able to use your powers efficiently... cannot end well. Incubators had to work out the technology to this extent at least.
And no, I'd never try to avoid Mami, she's a great and relatively sane person. Her breakdown in ep 10 looks pretty justified in the context.
Old 2011-05-09, 11:44   Link #48
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
And no, I'd never try to avoid Mami, she's a great and relatively sane person. Her breakdown in ep 10 looks pretty justified in the context.
Lol, relatively sane?

Anyway, it looks like I'm the only one who's voted for Kamijou...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 14:04   Link #49
otacu
Flag forever

1) Mami
2) Miki
3) Homura
otacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 14:11   Link #50
kaigan
Segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by otacu View Post
1) Mami
2) Miki
3) Homura
congratulations! you just cast the 100th homu vote
kaigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 16:59   Link #51
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thousand Mistress View Post
We learn the truth about her true personality, and of course some of you would avoid a person like that. But for me, Mami is still a cool character and that won't change.
Heh, if you'd avoid someone with the potential to snap, you'd end up pretty lonely. Actually, I think, one thing the show did exceedingly well is to show that anyone can mess up, good intentions or no, and you'll just have to take it and move on. Nobody's perfect. So I wouldn't say we've seen her true personality, but rather how she holds up under pressure. So we have a more complete view of her.

Actually, when Mami first appeared her controlled and calm behaviour made me so suspicious, I didn't trust her any more than Kyubei. They so looked like a team. (How wrong I was.)

Mami is the only of the girls who didn't get a vote from me. I've always been sort of wary of her, especially all that focus on style while fighting, and the way she put the gun to doll-charlotte's head and pulled the trigger with an expression of smug satisfaction... that was sort o creepy to me. (Though her transformation theme is one of my favourite pieces of music in the show.)

Still, I'd be proud to have any of them as a daughter, even Mami. (Boy, did I just say "daughter". When have I grown so old, lol.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak
Anyway, it looks like I'm the only one who's voted for Kamijou...
When I think of Kamijou, I mostly think of wasted potential. It seems there's more to the character than we see, and that it would have been important for the show's theme, to explore that a bit. I have the same feeling (only worse) with Hitomi. It's as if they had plans for both characters, realised that they needed to cut stuff to fit it all into 12 eps, and then, economically, ptiched them together. I'd have been grateful for any development. Sayaka's memorial service (before or after) would have been a wonderful opportunity. (It could have just been Madoka hurrying away, before Hitomi could reach her, and Kamijou reacting to that somewhat. A short, inconclusive scene that nevertheless would have told you so much.)

Unlike many, I never disliked Kamijou for his behaviour towards Sayaka. Not that I condone it, but I think it's understandable. It's just that, since we only have Sayaka's perspective, I don't know what he really thinks about her. That "Sayaka" on stage after the show, thus, came across as a bit contrived and cheesy to me.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 07:45   Link #52
Snork
Twilight lander

Quote:
Lol, relatively sane?
For a girl who lost her family and now lives all alone, fighting nightmarish creatures and risking her life on a daily basis... scratch relatively, she looks outstandingly sane.

Quote:
It's as if they had plans for both characters, realised that they needed to cut stuff to fit it all into 12 eps, and then, economically, ptiched them together.
I'm afraid that might be a possibility. Urobuchi did mention that they compressed things a bit.
Old 2011-05-10, 17:41   Link #53
Cream

Tomoe and Sakura > All :/

lol'd at Akemi being best atm.
Old 2011-05-10, 22:22   Link #54
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

The main girls... weren't really that likeable, despite the interesting story.
Mom and co. didn't have much character anyways.

But Q-Beh! Dang, talk about evil character made just to be hated. Total a**, but that is what is good. So bad that it is actually good.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 23:56   Link #55
sa547
*Author

^
I suppose you're expecting depth of character, lots of facial expressions and memorable, colorful personalities, but you have to fathom more into their minds than just watching these girls onscreen. Lest you're watching carefully (and not just once but twice or even thrice), you may have a hard time getting the gist of what Urobuchi Gen is telling you about through his characters in a twelve-episode straitjacket.

OBTW, judging from your previous posts, you do sound cynical, as if you've just seen it all and done that.

Last edited by sa547; 2011-05-11 at 22:28.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 01:28   Link #56
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

YAY! homura's leading!!! <<3 i love you homerun!! LOL

so, homura for AST and KBM 2011, right??!!

i'm counting in it!!! XDD
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 10:51   Link #57
kitten320

Kyoko is getting slowly to over taking Madoka and by that taking 2nd place.
Old 2011-05-11, 11:52   Link #58
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Voted for
1- Homaru - was my fave magical girl from the minute I saw her. Under all the tsundere that she had for nearly half the show, epi 10 was my fave. I love a good backstory and knowing that really she was the reason for all this was a twist I didnt see coming. Sucks she had to once again loose her best friend though.

2- Kyubei - sorry but I like him/it. He's basically if you crossed a Vulcan with a cat The fact that he never believed what he was doing was wrong for the entire series yet he's seen so many girls become witches and die and keep the balance of the universe in tact is kinda creepy I dont view him as evil basically he was a business man with a bit of used car salesman on the side, had to keep his commodity up so why not only tell the good things about being a magical girl. As he stated "you didn't ask". And they didn't. Good character.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 12:34   Link #59
VentAileron

Voted for Tomoe Mami. Gun and binding magic. Loved how she snapped at episode 10, just shows that every single one of them are just normal people.

Not that I really like any of the characters, even Mami is a bit dull. But the others are even worse...

Madoka: "I absolute do nothing but manage to be the most important person anyway! Instead of directly wishing to be god, I used a roundabout way to achieve the same thing while not sounding childish!"
Akemi: "I wonder how many other characters in other shows have my personality."
Miki: "Don't feel like confessing to Kamijou even though Shizuki gave me the chance. Instead I pretend I already lost Kamijou to Shizuki."
Sakura: "I was antagonistic at first, but then I turned friendly all of a sudden!"
Kyubei: "I need to keep pretending not to understand humans despite being here since the beginning of humankind! I need to make this clear to everyone all the time too."
Shizuki: "Sorry guys, I'm only here for the love-triangle."
Kamijou: "I've no idea that Sayaka-san was in love with me even though she kept visiting me and buying me CDs! I even shout at her for being nice!"

If I didn't vote for Tomoe, I would've voted for Madoka's mother Junko. Best thing Madoka did in the entire series was killing Mami when she snapped. Maybe Madoka isn't as innocent as we imagined?
Old 2011-05-11, 22:47   Link #60
sa547
*Author

So I think some of you feel that character development is an issue, which explains for personality and relationship discrepancies, and sudden changes in behavior.

I suspect that when this show was at its planning stages, they were considering how many episodes they want to devote to this show, but at the time they suffered severe losses from previous productions that failed to sell (i.e. Maria+Holic, Arakawa, etc.), so to save production money, one of their ways to stretch their budget was to limit the number of episodes to 12 (or 1-cour) instead of the riskier 26 episodes. This restriction, IMHO, severely impacts the amount of time needed for character development, hence the sordid fact we could glean little much in the way of the girls' personalities and rely on visual cues for further guidance, and thus this issue makes it too easy for some critics to blame Gen for not giving more depth and personality into his "children".