AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2007-06-10, 20:19   Link #221
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

I'll post up the original Japanese scans for you to compare

Quote:
Chap6, page 6, lower-right scene:
Saha: "Just ask anyone in school and you'll get your answer quickly enough"
NLB: "These conferences can just as easily be done during the in-school interview session."

そんなの学校で面談すば済む話でしょ?

Quote:
Chap6, page 12, bottom scene, left speech balloon:
SaHa: "I love my mother for all the things she does for me."
NLB: "... never forget the times my mother combed my hair."

私は、お母さんに髪をとかしてもぅのか大好きです。

Quote:
Chap6, page 15, mid-left scene, 'thoughts' outside ballons:
SaHa: "This isn't good. I'm supposed to treat all of my students equally. Even though it's been bothering me since I got here."
NLB: " Not really. 'Treat all students equally,' That's always been my guiding principle."

タメだ…「生徒の扱いは平等に」ってこの前思ったばっかりなのに

Quote:
Chap6, page 17, all speech balloons for both scenes on top:

宝宮先生はとうします?その…片親の子とか…
はい?
別にどうもしませんよー?他の子と同じほめたりしかつたり

Quote:
Chap6, page 17, bottom-right scene, right-most speech balloon.
SaHa: "Don't worry. Just act like you usually do..."
NLB: "So, just treat them like you would the rest of your students."

いいんです普通にしてれば

Perhaps a neutral party who's well verse in Japanese might care to comment ?

Edit :- There, now I've type out all the Japanese Texts presented. People here can at least run the text through a web translator to judge for themselves.

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2007-06-10 at 20:39.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 02:06   Link #222
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Nothing like peer review and comparison to get a good consensus. Too tired at the moment, will look tomorrow.
Old 2007-06-11, 02:22   Link #223
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

EDITing my post lol

ne way, Im not one to be anal but since u asked...

Chap6, page 17, bottom-right scene, right-most speech balloon.
SaHa: "Don't worry. Just act like you usually do..."
NLB: "So, just treat them like you would the rest of your students."
Tatertotz: show her the same affection as you do the other kids... or give the same praise and scoldings as you do everyone else.

いいんですyo普通にしてれば
that's fine, how about acting normal?

edit: dont u hate it when u click on a thread and reply thinking you were at the last post just to find out that you were somewhere on page 7

Last edited by Potatochobit; 2007-06-11 at 02:39.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 04:48   Link #224
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Read chapter 11. Now I think the reason why Rin is mature might not be because of some trauma. Maybe this is just my optimistic thinking. Shouldn't it because of the environment where Rin grew up. (mom getting it on with cousin). Then again that would be a little to simple. Anyhow the serie got my interest This Reiji hasn't done anything bad yet. It seems he's getting tempted(that or the author is just teasing us with some possibilities.) I'm just hoping he can keep his pants on and keep playing the overprotective "young-dad" role.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 10:01   Link #225
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

<blink> the "cousin" aspect is fairly irrelevant to the situation (I think that cousin-relationships have been clarified enough times in this forum. It just isn't a big deal in Japan or even most of the USA).
A hint:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-06-11, 10:58   Link #226
VanGosroth

Yeah, if you guys see anything that's really off please PM me and I'll get in touch with the translator to double check it over.
VanGosroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 11:23   Link #227
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

If anyones wants my honest opinion....

The SaHa translation is way off.

Quote:
SaHa: "Just ask anyone in school and you'll get your answer quickly enough"
Original :-
そんなの学校で面談すば済む話でしょ?

The kanji "面談" denotes Interview, and there's no mention of it in their Translation. Further, Aoki is asking about speaking to the parents face-to-face, earlier. What does "asking anyone in school" have to do with that ?

Quote:
SaHa :- SaHa: "I love my mother for all the things she does for me."
私は、お母さんに髪をとかしてもぅのか大好きです。

The Kanji 髪 means "Hair" Now where's the mention of that ? "とかしても" means "lend" or "give" which in this context "comb", why no mention in SaHa's version ?

Quote:
[Aoki] "How did it go, Houin Sensei? You know... with that one family you went to see..."
[Houin] "Huh? Oh, nothing special, I guess. The same as I do with all the other kids, I suppose. Praise them, scold them... that sort of thing
宝宮先生はとうします?その…片親の子とか…
はい?
別にどうもしませんよー?他の子と同じほめたりしかつたり

What happen to the translation of 子 meaning "Child" or "Kid" ? And I don't see anything that means "Going to see" in the original Japanese Text. And Hoin's answer to that question ? You mean, she treats the Family like a child ?

It's as I said, there's no love for the contents, hence no exmaining the translation to the suitation in the story and thus the lousy errors.
Old 2007-06-11, 12:06   Link #228
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've only done a sampling... but yeah, the SaHa translation is MUCH further off in left field, at times almost to the "Whats up Tiger Lily" level. If SaHa was the scanlation the SSE people were referring to, I can see why they trashed it as inaccurate and used it to try and derail people who wanted the release as "not understanding"....
Old 2007-06-11, 12:35   Link #229
Hayami
lonely soul

Here is a very nice article that explains why this release was cancelled:
http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/lawpoli/you...nstigation.php

Sad but true. There were many discussions about Aoki's response, especially because it was (or at least was interpreted as) one of DeAngelis' arguments. But the truth is - it's not the real problem

P.S.
I apologize if this posts detracts from the main discussion and I could delete it...
Old 2007-06-11, 12:44   Link #230
VanGosroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I've only done a sampling... but yeah, the SaHa translation is MUCH further off in left field, at times almost to the "Whats up Tiger Lily" level. If SaHa was the scanlation the SSE people were referring to, I can see why they trashed it as inaccurate and used it to try and derail people who wanted the release as "not understanding"....
Chapters 1-5 were not scanlated by SaHa. The ejaculate inside me bit was released by soem other group a while ago.
Old 2007-06-11, 15:12   Link #231
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Um, ya I know

Ah I see, you surmise SSE meant that other older work was the source of confusion for supporters of KnJ ... yeah, I took a few pages of that at random to spot check as well .... and after that it went into the /dev/null bucket.
That said, the SaHa project seems to be large amounts of randomness as well.

I just can't get to some of the decisions SaHa made on even innocuous lines so at best I'd call it a "liberal rewrite" rather than an interpretation.

@Hayami: that article is completely flipping brilliant. As I read it, not just a light bulb - but a large xenon flash fired off over my head. It explains the motivations of the irrational (even if they themselves deny it) beautifully. I highly recommend everyone read this article by Matthew Skala.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-06-11 at 15:41.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 19:01   Link #232
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

I love to see what SaHa's stand on their mistranslation is now that we prove that their release are sloppy chop shop works that mangle the original meanings

If they have pride in their work, they would put their releases on hold and do a re-interpretation, re-translation and re-release of previous chapters instead of pushing out more.

If they persist, than we know where their agenda with this release lies, banking on fame and glory with the hype of this title getting canned in the states.
Old 2007-06-11, 19:14   Link #233
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm not *that* great a translator and I just don't see where they're pulling whole phrases and nouns out of thin air. Its almost as bad as ... o never mind.
Old 2007-06-11, 19:58   Link #234
VanGosroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
I love to see what SaHa's stand on their mistranslation is now that we prove that their release are sloppy chop shop works that mangle the original meanings

If they have pride in their work, they would put their releases on hold and do a re-interpretation, re-translation and re-release of previous chapters instead of pushing out more.

If they persist, than we know where their agenda with this release lies, banking on fame and glory with the hype of this title getting canned in the states.
SaHa has no such agenda with this title. They are a commission based translation group that mainly does doujins. They aren't releasing it to get fame or anything else.

Just look on the bright side, everyone will delete the lousy 'speed scans' that I've commissioned when your high quality (and hopefully perfectly translated) ones come out and replace it with yours.
Old 2007-06-11, 20:04   Link #235
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanGosroth View Post
SaHa has no such agenda with this title. They are a commission based translation group that mainly does doujins. They aren't releasing it to get fame or anything else.
I see, I take back my statements.

But I must remind the translator that the primary purpose of translating is to interprete the intended meaning of the orignal message as closly as possible.

That is unless the the cilent demands a speedy release of this title, then I understand.
Old 2007-06-11, 20:14   Link #236
Pedobear

I certainly see the screw-ups in SaHa's version, but I think it may be best that you let sleeping dogs lie. It may be worth mentioning that I did notice a fair number of screw-ups in your own version. That's to say, on top of the ones you've already fixed in re-releases because you or your editors were being "sloppy". Then again, with your "love" for the contents, I'm sure you'll go back and dig them up yourself so you can fix your own mistakes. I'm afraid to say that both translations have their respective innacuracies, though it's hardly surprising that yours aren't being pointed out seeing as this is basically your thread.
Pedobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 20:28   Link #237
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedobear View Post
I'm afraid to say that both translations have their respective innacuracies, though it's hardly surprising that yours aren't being pointed out seeing as this is basically your thread.
I never said that my translation are the best but being human, mistakes are generally unseen and unknown by the person making them unless they are pointed out or upon self reflection.

So, people are welcome to point out the supposed mistakes if and when spotted (As I have pointed to SaHa's).and we'll correct them if we see the reasoning. Just as bleakessence attempt, to which we responded to.

So let it be known here that SaHa will be the speedsub, while our release be the refined version.
Old 2007-06-11, 20:35   Link #238
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That's because they're being pointed out back-channel for the most part (at least that was my intent so as not to clutter up the thread).

I'm not clear why speed at the expense of meaning is useful at all. I mean.. .its one thing if the speed translation is "truck run over hedge!" rather than "Oh, the truck backed over the hedge!" but if it comes out "horseless box in conjunction with shrubbery is angry" ..... O.o
Obviously, if the patron is getting what they want.... but even speedsubs need to be somewhat "correct" (whatever that means).
To me the accuracy is more important, so it goes. As any U.N. translator will tell you, speed is great but.... (oops, faux pas on the xlate).

@pedobear: hmmm, first post.... if you haven't already, be sure and browse the forum rules. They are enforced (which many new members discover the hard way) And no one "owns" a thread, other than the mods

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-06-11 at 20:50.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 20:55   Link #239
VanGosroth

I'm impatient :P
Old 2007-06-11, 21:00   Link #240
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanGosroth View Post
I'm impatient :P
Patience pay.

I'm inclined to pushing my rough translation to my typesetter and ask him to just photochop it in for the sake of exposing it to the masses.

But out of the love of the material, I submit it for editing and wait for the course of nature.

Tags
comedy, growing up, loli, school life, seinen