AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-04-22, 22:53   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 784 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Well, now that Oda's break is out of the way, what surprises does he have in store for us before the magazine goes on break at the end of the month? Let's find out! Pics and summary are out, courtesy of AP's Redon and Aohige, respectively:

-Chapter title is "Gear 4". The splash page is a color page (a rather amusing one involving the Straw-Hats having a picnic with zombies, at that! )

-The citizens continue to evacuate from the Birdcage. Viola tells Usopp that even in the center of the city, they aren't safe from the cage, since it's closing with Dofla at its center. However, that doesn't stop Zoro from running towards the cage in an attempt to stop it. Meanwhile, while Law has his arm mended by the Tontattas, Cavendish tells him that regardless of whether or not they manage to defeat Doflamingo, the world will go in turmoil over this event, and the allied pirates will be the eye of the storm. Law agrees with the man.

-Back to the fight, Luffy blows air into his CoA-hardened arm, making his body grow huge. His body is now like a huge rubber ball, bouncing around the place. For this is Gear 4.... the Bounding Man.

Spoiler for SGJ4 Luffy:

^Doflamingo scoffs at Luffy's strange new ability, thinking that becoming like a ball is useless. However, Luffy explains that in order to fight the huge beasts on that island during his two years of training, he needed to increase both his size AND elasticity, and this was the answer he came up with. Dofla continues to mock him, but Luffy says that his opponent won't be able to do anything to him now. He then retracts his fist into his arm, and shoots it out like a spring. This is a new technique of his.... Gomu Gomu no Kong (Monkey King) Gun! So powerful was the punch that it not only sent Dofla flying through a building but straight to the middle of the city!

-Not only the citizens, but even Dofla himself is confused as to why he was sent sailing that far. However, he has no time to consider this, as Luffy literally flies after him! He can do a Geppou/Skywalk style technique by retracting/bouncing his legs in the air! He then reaches Dofla, and knocks him through another building with another technique called Rhino Schneider. Dofla is irritated that the "mere" rubber man is giving him such a rough time, but he has a better grasp as to how Gear 4 works now: Using armament haki, Luffy strengthens the tension of his rubber body severalfold! Luffy then attacks him with another attack called Gomu Gomu no Culverin, but this time Dofla dodges it and manages to make a counterattack!

-....Only, it doesn't work on Luffy. Thanks to the CoA-strengthened rubber, his kick merely bounces off his opponent. On the other hand, Luffy controls his Culverin, making it stretch at multiple different angles as it homes in on his opponent. At last, it lands a clean hit on Dofla's face...!!!!

Well, say what you will about its appearance, it turns out Gear 4 is damned effective in battle. And I must say, it's quite satisfying to see Luffy layeth the smacketh down on Dofla's candy ass!

Last edited by marvelB; 2015-04-23 at 01:03.
Old 2015-04-23, 00:28   Link #2
Belise
Rokushiki User
*Artist

Did Moria get into Luffy somehow..?

I feel let down ._.
Old 2015-04-23, 01:06   Link #3
marvelB

Full summary's up! Gear 4 impressions are extremely mixed from what I see, but frankly, I find it damned awesome. Really impressed with the crazy ways Luffy can use his rubber (even if in this case it's sort of like a mix between Bellamy's spring abilities and Kaku's Pasta Machine, lol ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belise View Post
Did Moria get into Luffy somehow..?

Well coincidentally, the color splash page DOES feature zombies on it....
Old 2015-04-23, 01:14   Link #4
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

?? I thought it was a two week break including Golden week? Did I miss some thing?

I am disapointed with Gear 4 Luffy, he really does look like Shadow Luffy from Thriller Bark, the flippin fandom was right on guessing that.

Wonder how quick this fight will go down? I really wish Oda had done this earlyer so it wouldn't feel so well..

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Old 2015-04-23, 01:15   Link #5
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

After looking at the spoilers, I felt uncomfortable and disappointed.

After looking at the Raw pics, I find Gear 4 badass.

The style of the appearance and application of it suits the manga perfectly. Better than "Super saiyan god super saiyan" as far as power ups go.
Old 2015-04-23, 01:22   Link #6
marvelB

BTW, I also guess that Dofla's shades are fused to his face or something if they can stay perfectly intact despite the beating he took.
Old 2015-04-23, 01:27   Link #7
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Just from that picture alone I'm so happy Gear 4 is way more creative and silly looking than I was expecting, which suits One Piece to a tee.~

If anything it makes him look more overweight than jacked up.~

It's also cool how his haki looks like a tribal tattoo now in this form.
Old 2015-04-23, 01:34   Link #8
Starway

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
BTW, I also guess that Dofla's shades are fused to his face or something if they can stay perfectly intact despite the beating he took.
No maybe dofla shades is his real body the human shape is just a puppet that the shades are controlling that why he's never without them he is the true dofla
Old 2015-04-23, 01:35   Link #9
marvelB

The more I look at it, the more I find it hard to hate Gear 4. IMO, the best thing about it is that putting aside the Bellamy/Kaku comparisons I made before, Luffy is essentially a pseudo-Franky now. Heck, his arm even looks like a Mega Man-style arm cannon when he shot off the Kong Gun!

And speaking of Mega Man..... to heck with the anime, I really wanna see how well this form translates to games like Pirate Warriors and so on.

Edit: One more thing..... even if the Birdcage doesn't destroy Dressrosa, Luffy sure as heck will.

Last edited by marvelB; 2015-04-23 at 01:45.
Old 2015-04-23, 02:03   Link #10
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

Probably lacks the speed or power of 2 and 3 but real power of four seems to rely on unpredictable strikes. That one panel sure looks disappointing at first but he other leaked pages revealing actual attacks...The way his ranged attacks twist and change rotation seems extremely fast and dangerous...Even kenbunshoku haki would have a hard time keeping up with that level of random combos.
Old 2015-04-23, 03:16   Link #11
Starway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrz View Post
Probably lacks the speed or power of 2 and 3 but real power of four seems to rely on unpredictable strikes. That one panel sure looks disappointing at first but he other leaked pages revealing actual attacks...The way his ranged attacks twist and change rotation seems extremely fast and dangerous...Even kenbunshoku haki would have a hard time keeping up with that level of random combos.
Chapter out and well
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2015-04-23, 03:22   Link #12
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Spoiler for chapter:
Old 2015-04-23, 03:29   Link #13
Farodin

Man I love it!Didn't expect Gear 4 to take that form. I don't know how Oda does it,but he always manages to make something that's supposed to be silly or goofy looking somehow still look badass at the same time.
Old 2015-04-23, 03:35   Link #14
Ultragunner

wow, I have to say that gear 4th exceeded my expectation

Spoiler for gear 4:

Also, am I the only one who had the impression that Luffy got the idea (or at least the appearance) from Sengoku's Devil fruit? They both look top-bulky while the lower body is not that big in comparison (except when Luffy uses his legs to attack)
Old 2015-04-23, 03:44   Link #15
Esclair

The eyeshadow reminds me of Hermit Mode. Overall the look is both silly yet badass.
Old 2015-04-23, 04:44   Link #16
The One Above God
Kamijou

Just read the chapter...it was glorious...not to mention the fact that Doflamingo got his dose of asswhoopin'! What a satisfying chapter indeed...

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
Old 2015-04-23, 04:56   Link #17
noktown

I like this new transformation, I don't know how anyone could dislike it, I hope the One Piece fanbase won't turn into DBZ fanbase where people expect more hair and something "cooler" with each transformation.
Like any other transformation this one makes sense and that's all that matters, I wouldn't even be surprised if he was actually inspired by his Shadow Form, I don't understand why steam is coming out of his body though.

I'm impressed a lot of people predicted correctly though, not a titan form, but the idea was predicted pretty well.

Btw, on page 11, Mingo is standing there while Luffy is launching Rhino Schneider, was Mingo actually using Haki on his face trying to defend from Luffy's attack, or he didn't even use Haki, I can't tell ?

Next chapter : Most of Mingo's strings will probably finish the "surgery" inside his body and he will start using string abilities on Luffy and possibly revealing a new transformation of his own.

Last edited by noktown; 2015-04-23 at 05:07.
Old 2015-04-23, 05:37   Link #18
Belise
Rokushiki User
*Artist

I'm disappointed. I don't hate gear 4, but I'm not crazy about it. It's creative in it's function, not appearance. Interesting without a doubt.

And what's with the haki on Luffy's arms? It's forming a pattern! This is unusual. One thing I really actually like is Luffy using his own Geppou variant! I love that.

Also how the heck did he inflate his muscles? Biting them?? I assume the drawback will be fatigued muscles. Can't do anything in that state >_>.
Old 2015-04-23, 05:50   Link #19
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

I am incredibly happy with 4th Gear, it's something few people have expected. I'm also happy Oda didn't go the easy way out with the vulcanization or some of the other theories that were thrown around. This is imagination taken to the max and I love that not only does it share some similarities (visually) to Shadow Luffy as that was one of my favorite gimmicky Luffy transformations.

This thing has unbelievable power, he stays fast enough to even catch Doffy off guard, his movements are unpredictable thanks to the bouncy nature, his body is though enough to nullify Doffy's blows with haki and bounciness and I kinda love that he uses a kind of variation of Geppo to fly around. It also shows yet again Luffy's ability to learn techniques and moves from others he fights. Hell...did his punch use Geppo to change trajectories? xD

I also liked how he's pretty much assimilating Bellamy's techniques with those sprint attacks, making his appearance this arc a bit more relevant.
Old 2015-04-23, 05:51   Link #20
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
Also, am I the only one who had the impression that Luffy got the idea (or at least the appearance) from Sengoku's Devil fruit? They both look top-bulky while the lower body is not that big in comparison (except when Luffy uses his legs to attack)
He probably got the idea for the form from the Nightmare Luffy time. His appearance is very similar to that time.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Closed Thread