AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-06-15, 08:16   Link #1241
Peanutbutter

Interesting. The English translation comes before my usual Chinese translation. And this chapter 98 gives us something to ponder about.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 08:38   Link #1242
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post
Interesting. The English translation comes before my usual Chinese translation. And this chapter 98 gives us something to ponder about.
You mean... Whether the Miyanaga Sisters are actually human? Are we pondering about that, or something else?

Last edited by Scarletknive; 2012-06-15 at 09:02.
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 09:27   Link #1243
night_sentinel

Quote:
did Koromo even played in the last national tournament? I thought she didn't play in the national at all.
Yes, Koromo played two matches in the nationals. The first round and the quarter final round. Ryuumonbuchi reached the semi-final only for a school to be knocked down to zero in the vice captain match. This is because Rinkai's Megan was scared of Cold! Touka that instead of fighting her directly she targeted one of the weaker school knocking it below zero. This naturally resulted in the match ending with Ryuumonbuchi's loss without Koromo being able to play the captain round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive
You mean... Whether the Miyanaga Sisters are actually human?
I think a lot of people are wondering about that same question.

Spoiler for colored picture "Miyanaga mode" Saki and Teru:

Btw, someone pointed out to me that Shiraitodai members are watching this match. Remember back at the earlier chapters with Jindai going back to sleep and hitting Yuuki on the last hand. There are several people shown giving a reaction to this - one of the panel showed Takami and Awai of Shiraitodai observing. They are also most likely watching the captain match too. I wonder what they think of the latest development?

Though, I wonder if this means that Shiraitodai thinks their greatest threat is coming from side-B than from Side-A ?

And then there is that observation made by Hiroko, maybe Senriyama is also watching this match?

Come to think of it the Quarter finals Block C is very intense.
It has:

Eisui - the 3rd seed of the tournament and the much hyped monster player Jindai.
Himematsu - 5th seed or 5th placer on the previous tournament
Miyamori - also a popular team ( I think they defeated many notable persons from the individuals)
Kiyosumi - on their first match they didn't even need their vice-captain and captain plus Kiyosumi defeated Ryuumonbuchi.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 09:34   Link #1244
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I thought they did say that Teru played against Koromo and completely dominated her?
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 09:36   Link #1245
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
You mean... Whether the Miyanaga Sisters are actually human? Are we pondering about that, or something else?
What Saki is plotting after ch 98 of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I thought they did say that Teru played against Koromo and completely dominated her?
Okay, let's get this clear. I've seen a few posts on this and now it's getting me irritated.

Refer to night sentinel post.

Saki was Koromo's first and only recorded loss. Period.

Achiga hen Ep 10 should be clear on this.

EDIT: Just like to add this, after some reading from some very observant people.

Spoiler for Ch 98:

Last edited by Peanutbutter; 2012-06-15 at 10:02.
Old 2012-06-15, 09:57   Link #1246
Qilin
Romanticist

Having read chapter 98, I'd say that it felt way too short... Or maybe I'm just too used to the spin-off's pacing.

That aside, watching Saki go into that "monster state" was a bit unusual since this is the first time she has done this, based on my memory. I mean, she gets quite a few winning streaks once she gets into the game, but here, it's like she transformed into a completely different person. The way she holds absolute command over the "flow" in her current state is sort of reminiscent of Cold Touka's style.

Now that the match is nearing its end, I'm a bit sad that Miyamori probably won't be moving on to the semi-finals. Toyone really is becoming my favorite character in this entire arc.

Whatever the case, Saki Time is now afoot, you guys!
Old 2012-06-15, 10:37   Link #1247
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Refer to night sentinel post.

Saki was Koromo's first and only recorded loss. Period.
Alright. Fair enought. Educate me. This is the line I'm referring to. Achiga hen ch 8, page 61
http://imgur.com/VzTjV

Mistranlation? Contradicted somewhere else?
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 10:42   Link #1248
night_sentinel

@Proto

Sigh... Its mistranslation.

Koromo is beaten by Teru in terms of points or hand value. But, Teru and Koromo did not face each other in the tournament.
Old 2012-06-15, 11:12   Link #1249
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter
Regarding Saki's 2000/3900 win, Saki's next turn is Kasumi. From that winning hand, Kasumi seem to have dealt that 1m for Saki to call a kan. That should not be possible with the "Missing 1 suit" force field in place.
This is the first hand in the chapter right?
I don't know since all we got is Saki's winning hand and we don't have any idea how the hand was formed. We don't know for sure if Kasumi was the one who discarded that 1 man, it could be discarded by Toyone or Kyouko.

After all, Saki's winning hand has two kans or 4 of a kind - the red dragon and the 1 of characters. If Kasumi is the one who discarded instead of Toyone/Kyouko it is more likely the tile she discarded is the red dragon. Saki could promote the pon into a kan after all which is possible considering the red dragons' arrangement compared to the one of character...

Then, to make it muddier its also the hand not won by rinshan kaihou so there must be at least another go round after Saki made a kan since she won by drawing the 2 of character or 2 man from the live wall.
Old 2012-06-15, 12:18   Link #1250
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
@Proto

Sigh... Its mistranslation.

Koromo is beaten by Teru in terms of points or hand value. But, Teru and Koromo did not face each other in the tournament.
Ok ... this is good to know. I was wondering about that too.

In other news, with regards to Koromo - yes, she is powerful indeed. But remember that Saki defeated Koromo when the latter was at full power level (i.e. night and a full moon) without going into whatever mode she is entering now - that is, if the external manifestations of paranormal type phenomena are any indication, of course.

THAT'S scary.
Old 2012-06-15, 12:28   Link #1251
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
But the Toki in the anime is 怜 not 時. Which means.... (insert what Sumeragi puts in the meanings.)
I think homophones are not uncommon when you want to interpret things... (due to their accent though I don't know if they are pronounced the same typically)
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 13:48   Link #1252
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
As an aside, do we have the names of the rest of Kirame's team?
Old 2012-06-15, 13:53   Link #1253
Sumeragi
Banned

There are two more. I'll add them when I do my revised version.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 19:39   Link #1254
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
This is the first hand in the chapter right?
I don't know since all we got is Saki's winning hand and we don't have any idea how the hand was formed. We don't know for sure if Kasumi was the one who discarded that 1 man, it could be discarded by Toyone or Kyouko.
If you chi from the previous player, you turn and place your tile to the left of your two tiles.

If you pon, say from the opposite player, you turn and place it in the middle. This is also the same for your next player.

For the next player, you turn and place it to the right of your tiles.

Now observe that 1m that made Saki's kan. Where is it placed? And who's sitting after Saki?

Very observant.
Old 2012-06-15, 20:43   Link #1255
kona~chan
ヘタレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post
If you chi from the previous player, you turn and place your tile to the left of your two tiles.

If you pon, say from the opposite player, you turn and place it in the middle. This is also the same for your next player.

For the next player, you turn and place it to the right of your tiles.

Now observe that 1m that made Saki's kan. Where is it placed? And who's sitting after Saki?

Very observant.
ah yes you were right there.
if ritz not make a mistake here, then it seem kasumi's one suit ability can be cracked by making a call or changing the drawing order, what a disappointment
kona~chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 20:50   Link #1256
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona~chan View Post
ah yes you were right there.
if ritz not make a mistake here, then it seem kasumi's one suit ability can be cracked by making a call or changing the drawing order, what a disappointment
Maybe Saki's monster mode > Kasumi's demon god :<
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 22:13   Link #1257
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Yun View Post
Maybe Saki's monster mode > Kasumi's demon god :<
We know about that already... Though Saki's awaken monster mode< Teru's INFERNO mode, she is still stronger than the others.

Can win Saki, but the chances of winning is low when you think about it...

Problem: No one kans any tile in the first place. So if no one kans and Saki kans, higher possibility of her getting rinshan kaihou... Otherwise, "you know what happens."

Solution: Maybe if one of the 3 were to kan before Saki does, there is a possibility that you can beat her. But the possibility is 50/50.

But here comes the problem... Saki always get a 3 of a type after some go-around or even at the start of the game.
Old 2012-06-15, 23:22   Link #1258
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona~chan View Post
personally i would agree with you here, but the problem is for some character their surnames do have a meaning
for example:
染谷 in 染谷 まこ someone believing this name coming from mahjong term 染め手/染める which mean "A one suit" using the fact mako did often aim for honitsu or chinitsu for her hand.
the same case also can be found in 浦 数絵 (nanba kazue) she is strong in the south round right.
and this is not only with their surnames sometimes their first name also use mahjong term as references just like saki coming from rinshan kaiho

Agree, but in these case the link should be apparent too see, and usually superficial.
Old 2012-06-15, 23:36   Link #1259
Sumeragi
Banned

Chibi versions of almost every single girl students from Saki:

Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 23:53   Link #1260
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Chibi versions of almost every single girl students from Saki:
No Arakwaka Kei and her legion of mental patients? Boo!

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri