AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-24, 14:27   Link #81
amonet

The voices just don't work for me at all! It just doesn't seem right listening to them in English...now I know I'm a "sub, not dub" person! The way they pronounced "HiME" too, it was just weird...
Old 2006-03-24, 16:08   Link #82
Solitaire

I like the voices...Shiho sounded annoying in japanese anyway >_>. Personally I always adapt to the english voices since I can't stand reading anymore than I have too.
Old 2006-03-24, 16:24   Link #83
Fishbait

Natsuki sounded okay...from the voice clips

I dont have the DVD so I have no clue what Shizuru sound like...but oh well

lol
Old 2006-03-24, 23:24   Link #84
miyu chan

Wink my hime special edition dvd vol.1

I just bought the dvd and finished watching all episodes...

What i didn't like the most about the dvd is that they put the omake clips at the end after the credits for episode (one per episode) instead of putting them in the special features section, and they didn't sub the promo reel in the special feature section, plus the artbox is way too flimsy. The Dub?... ok i've seen a lot worse, at least it's watchable. Shizuru sounds like a southern belle, it sorta fits her voice, i can see why they picked it, it's not a horrible choice, i would of liked a soft british accent better, but i'm nitt picking, all in all not bad, the sound and video are high quality and the subs not bad either.

Yet, i still wish they had put more effort into the r1 special edition dvd and promoted it more, they haven't even mentioned it on their (bandai) website. I expected more from bandai, I think they are putting all there money into their release of Eureka Seven that comes out at the end of next month, can't wait!.

oh well, i'm not sorry i bought it, i think its worth the money... but still! my poor wallet... and after that have to buy Kamichu! and Ichigo Mashimaro from Geneon and Moonphase from Funimation. I think I need a second job... *cry*

Last edited by miyu chan; 2006-03-24 at 23:29. Reason: spelling errors :(
Old 2006-03-25, 00:16   Link #85
Diodati
The very united ACROSS

Hmmm I think I'm going to have to watch it in action.....but I wouldn't say 'no' to being alone with the dub voice of Natsuki though lol...I dunno there's something about her =P

Obviously, when you become accustomed to the Japanese originals, then the sub is always going to come across as melodramatic - plus I appreciate some of the difficulties in language transition in the script. Things in Japanese do not sound cheesy, whereas they painfully do in English.

Mai's voice seems to have bit too much 'attitude', but some of the later moments in the clips weren't quite as bad. As to Shizuru - I haven't got the box-set so I have no idea if this is a reasonable choice or a massacre to mine ears. We shouldn't be surprised - even though yes, the particular Kyoto accent does not produce the same effect as the more frequently found Kansai one (which always tends to get Southernised for the dub)

Does it at very least have a feeling of well spoken-ness? Or do we feel like we've stepped onto the cotten fields of the Old South?
Old 2006-03-25, 00:48   Link #86
Sakuya
*Artist

Exactly what is a "southern belle" accent? I've never heard of that before.
Old 2006-03-25, 01:01   Link #87
miyu chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya
Exactly what is a "southern belle" accent? I've never heard of that before.

ever watch gone with the wind? aka scarlet ohara, sounds like that.. its a high class type of southern accent
Old 2006-03-25, 01:02   Link #88
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu chan
ever watch gone with the wind? aka scarlet ohara, sounds like that.. its a high class type of southern accent
No...but since it's that film, it seems really elegant to me with my not watching it. Does it not match Shizuru?
Old 2006-03-25, 01:08   Link #89
USCPharmacist

AAAAAAAAAaarrrrrrrrrrgggg the ear plugs, they did nothing.....

Ok let's be realistic, Sunrise hire big ass name VA to do My Hime, we can't really expect the same quality here in the states. I mean, can you imagine they pull a Disney casts from Aladin or Mulan to do Hime?
Old 2006-03-25, 01:11   Link #90
miyu chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya
No...but since it's that film, it seems really elegant to me with my not watching it. Does it not match Shizuru?
Its ok... It just sounds wierd to me cause I like her japanese voice so much and she's the only one with an accent. The voice does seem dated a little, I don't think many people from the south use that kind of accent anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCPharmacist
AAAAAAAAAaarrrrrrrrrrgggg the ear plugs, they did nothing.....

Ok let's be realistic, Sunrise hired famous voice actors to dub My Hime, (in japanese) we can't really expect the same quality here in the states. I mean, can you picture them putting a Disney cast like from Aladin or Mulan into my-Hime?
-sorry, i edited your quote-

I have to agree, its stupid to expect a really good english dub, but we can still wish...

Last edited by miyu chan; 2006-03-25 at 01:26.
Old 2006-03-25, 01:23   Link #91
riznar
Save the Lesbians!

Quote:
The voice does seem dated a little i don't think many people from the south use that kind of accent anymore.
Not many, but they still exist, a girl who goes to my college came from a small town here, and her accent was thick. It was cute though, but that may have been because she was cute.

She really felt out of place though, and made efforts to lose the accent.
Old 2006-03-25, 01:31   Link #92
miyu chan

Ah thats too bad,

I generally find southern accents indearing, but i do know a lot of people like your friend who felt self concious about their accents.
Old 2006-03-25, 02:39   Link #93
paTKany
Aasu Ⅷ

Send a message via MSN to paTKany
Quote:
What i didn't like the most about the dvd is that they put the omake clips at the end after the credits for episode (one per episode) instead of putting them in the special features section
Maybe you already know this, but the omakes was handled the same way in the japanese R2 DVDs. So this is the original order.
Old 2006-03-25, 04:39   Link #94
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
Takumi sounds alright.

Mai is just meh.

Tate...something about him doesn't make him sound Tate-ish...

Natsuki is a bit decent.

Shiho...

Shiho's voice made me naseous...
Old 2006-03-25, 07:42   Link #95
Ansa

Takumi sounded half geek/half okay.

Mai sounds nothing but bitchy

Tate doesn't sound like Tate

Natsuki is fair

Shiho is ebil.
Old 2006-03-25, 07:44   Link #96
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
i can't imagine Midori or shizuru voice é_è
Old 2006-03-25, 15:07   Link #97
riznar
Save the Lesbians!

Wasn't Mai kinda bitchy at first? I watched the first episode again recently and was amazed it was the same person.
Old 2006-03-25, 16:23   Link #98
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by riznar
Wasn't Mai kinda bitchy at first? I watched the first episode again recently and was amazed it was the same person.
So she improves later on? I'm curious as to what everybody will sound like when they go crazy.
Old 2006-03-25, 17:19   Link #99
Preston
I am the lies in you.
*Author

I listened to one, and I've heard all I need to. Good GOD. Then again, I have never, ever, ever, ever been a dub person, I always watch my anime subtitled. Except Evangelion, that I like in English as well as the Japanese.
Old 2006-03-25, 22:22   Link #100
AKOL
~Innocent Starter~

Send a message via AIM to AKOL Send a message via MSN to AKOL
I think the reason everyone doesnt like the dubs is because we're too used to how the original voice actresses and actors sound. If we didn't know how they sounded, we wouldn't automatically be comparing them.

Me personally, because i watched it, im like OMG wow i do NOT want to watch it in english, but ROD the TV, i never saw in Japanese and only watched on G4 tv, and i didnt find the english voices that bad, but im sure if i listened to the Japanese voices first and got used to that, then i would hate the english G4 tv version.

While they may be bad, its all opinion, and if you're a subs person, then you're a subs person. Some people enjoy dubs just as much, so more power to them i guess. ^_^;
Closed Thread