AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-06-16, 23:07   Link #201
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddle! View Post
I am also wondering about what was on the screen of information that Fumie stole from Isako shown at the end of episode four. Yasako seemed to have a reaction after reading it but there was not a translation of what it was in Ureshi's fansub. Does it say anything specific or is it just random text?

I don't know what Ureshii had, but from my understanding, looking at this screencap:

Spoiler:

That's what I understood. On the closeup you see the bottom right hand which shows up close "Michiko e no" (the _____ towards Michiko) and "kodomo" (children), as well as what looks like a "yoyo" on the third and fourth line, but it's not "yoyo" (ヨヨ), it's "wowo" (ヲヲ).
Michiko-san refers to that mysterious figure you hear in urban rumours, she sounds like some kidn of scary ghost who'll punish bad kids or something (for example if kids are trying to theaten each other they'll mention "Michiko-san", and in ep 2 the rumour at the beginning of the episode was "According to urban legend, children who call out Michiko-san will get dragged over to The Other Side." or something like that.)

There's also a "Kanazawa", "futari" and "angou" that are only seen in that brief shot. "angou" makes sense (暗号 = code, from 暗号屋 = "encoder", which is what Isako is), but why is Kanazawa there? (That's where Yasako was from.)

Also I failed to mention this before but the 2nd DVD release info is already out; it will contain eps 3-5 and the normal version costs 3990 yen (US$32), including a metatag card, and first press editions contain a "Coil Extra" (a booklet? Don't know)
The limited ed version costs 8190 yen, also 3 eps, plus storyboard for eps 3-5, and a 10 minute talk between Yasako and Isako's seiyuu. (DVD 1 was Yasako x Fumie)
Old 2007-06-16, 23:40   Link #202
tgirl
Mystery User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
That's what I understood. On the closeup you see the bottom right hand which shows up close "Michiko e no" (the _____ towards Michiko) and "kodomo" (children), as well as what looks like a "yoyo" on the third and fourth line, but it's not "yoyo" (ヨヨ), it's "wowo" (ヲヲ).

There's also a "Kanazawa", "futari" and "angou" that are only seen in that brief shot. "angou" makes sense (暗号 = code, from 暗号屋 = "encoder", which is what Isako is), but why is Kanazawa there? (That's where Yasako was from.)
I see. Thank you! It did look like ヨヨ from that up-close screenshot. Ah well. That means I have to go back and open up the fourth episode. Scroll to the end and kick myself in the back for being lazy. Haha. ^^; Edit: Also, going back and correcting my previous post. Realized that it's not a "2" but a "question mark".

That is interesting from what you've gathered from the entire screen (since I can't read kanji ).

It'll be some twist if Isako also came from Kanazawa, or she did have some sort of a past there. Or maybe her mysterious "contact" is from Kanazawa. I have to wonder though how Yasako's "ヨヨ二-san" is going to play in all of this.

I just got done watching episode 6.
Spoiler:

Last edited by tgirl; 2007-06-16 at 23:53.
tgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-17, 15:24   Link #203
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
Just discovered this show. I can't help but wonder about a few things: for example, the utterdisdain Yuko's mother holds for Gramma/Mega-Ba. If she is employed in the "legitimate" tech industries, and here's mega-Ba doing all this underground stuff with knowledge nbody is supposed to have, I'm sure the only sparks flying are not going to be the ones we've seen so far on-screen. Is she going to tryi to keep her kids away from her =-- far, far away from hr -- and possibly even try to have her locked up (she is violating numerous laws, and apparently could easily be committed for mental reasons) providing a further impediment for Yuko solving the mystery of her past?

All with Yuko's best interests at heart, of course.

which also brings up the question that's been bothering me -- is there a true, objective reality or is the world literally what the people who have mastered the technology make it? what if Fumie's assumption that you can't die from data loss proves incorrect? What if children start disappearing as well as digipets? If Ayako does succeed in breaching the barriers as she seems to desire, what would be the result?
Old 2007-06-17, 15:45   Link #204
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Why are truck drivers in anime incapable of using brakes when there's a child in the road? Anyway...

Spoiler for ep6:

Quote:
And if you're really curious to see what Haraken's mysterious aunt looks like...
Spoiler:
Took the words right out my mouth. It has to be said, Haraken's Aunt is a babe. I understand from the mysterious 'w'* who posted at Psgels' blog that Haraken's Aunt is not really 17. That's an in-joke by the seiyuu Inoue Kikuko - who always insists she's just 17. Anyway I hope we see much more of her. I really want to see her in action against Isako. That would be a helluva battle I think...

* Who may or may not be AnimeSuki Member 7682 in disguise
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-17, 19:52   Link #205
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Spoiler for work unsafeness, unique censoring:
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-17, 20:03   Link #206
7Th
Mixtape

Heh, I have a few other different fanarts for Dennou. I'll upload them soon to help Maids! X 3 soon.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-18, 02:49   Link #207
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Why are truck drivers in anime incapable of using brakes when there's a child in the road?
It's possible that the same thing that happened in Kanna's case happened here, the truck was controlled using Dennou Navi which should have noticed when Kyoko was crossing the road and automatically stopped, but malfunctioned. Or it could just be that it was travelling at too fast a pace and couldn't break in time... or it could also be that the driver couldn't actually see Kyoko - it's completely possible, in Singapore they had this thing where cars had to have a brake signal installed on the rear window (i.e. placed higher up than the normal brake light) so that trucks behind them could see whether the car was about to brake or not - otherwise they couldn't acutally see it and there were actual cases of accidents happening due to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
I understand from the mysterious 'w'* who posted at Psgels' blog that Haraken's Aunt is not really 17. That's an in-joke by the seiyuu Inoue Kikuko - who always insists she's just 17. Anyway I hope we see much more of her. I really want to see her in action against Isako. That would be a helluva battle I think...

* Who may or may not be AnimeSuki Member 7682 in disguise
Just a clarification, Haraken's aunt's seiyuu is not Inoue Kikuko, but it's just a joke along the same line. I highly doubt she's really 17... if she is that's just really weird.

And I wonder about that

And hah, I was wondering when Maids!x3 would eventually descend on this thread (Although I'm not quite sure whether all the fanartists are happy with their art being pasted everywhere without consent or a link to the source, but I'm in no position to complain...)
Considering it's got nationwide reach in Japan and is so fanart-able with great designs and cute girls... oh, and you guys should have totally seen the TONS of 'shops that were going around during that one shot of Isako drinking lamune in episode 5. I LEAVE IT TO YOUR IMAGINATION *cough*

When seen in the right way this show can be pretty erotic to all you onii-chans out there, but again... I leave it up to you to figure out how :P

Michael Hopcraft: I can't tell with certainty whether the show will be going down that path or not. Currently I'm assuming that the virtual layer over reality and reality itself are still separate, and what is merely a virtual attack (mega-beams and all that) would only affect the virtual layer and nothing else. But it is indeed possible that there may be some way of linking them in the future. It's possible Isako and her mysterious contact are investigating this through the Illegals and whatever on earth that keyhole thing is... although I have really no idea how it would link at the moment.

But whether it's virtual reality or the "real" reality, surely there are some things that link between them. Like human feelings. If you get attached to the virtual world then something drastic that happens in there would affect your non-virtual feelings and temperament, etc... and while it's not a direct link it brings up possibilities or ideas, like linking mental states with virtual reality so that they might be manipulated in the same way digital information is (okay, I'm talking out of my ass now and am half-asleep, I guess I'll stop.)

That reminds me, I've been wondering. How is the virtual infrastructure in Dennou Coil maintained? As in, what powers it? Where do they get the energy to run it? It's not something that really bothers me greatly though, but I wonder what it's supposed to be.

Also, nice observation on the possible tension between Mega-baa and Yasako's parents/the Authority. I never thought about it, despite spending way too much time on this series... Mega-baa is technically selling illegal goods, isn't she? Surely things that hack the traffic light system to make it stop and ways to emit beams which stop Sacchis are outright illegal. Won't she eventually be found out... in the first place, I wonder what's Mega-baa's motivation for doing this. I'll be disappointed if they didn't have an episode about her backstory.
Old 2007-06-18, 09:51   Link #208
PastPrime

Quote:
Also, nice observation on the possible tension between Mega-baa and Yasako's parents/the Authority. I never thought about it, despite spending way too much time on this series... Mega-baa is technically selling illegal goods, isn't she? Surely things that hack the traffic light system to make it stop and ways to emit beams which stop Sacchis are outright illegal. Won't she eventually be found out... in the first place, I wonder what's Mega-baa's motivation for doing this. I'll be disappointed if they didn't have an episode about her backstory.
It will probably turn out that she and her husband originally designed the system.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-18, 09:58   Link #209
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
Ok, I sat down and watched 1-3 again, then I watched episode 4. MAN THIS SHOW NEVER STOPS!! I LOVE IT! I literally woke up this morning thinking about how good this show is! It's the best show I've seen in awhile. Never a dull moment with this one. All 4 episodes have tons so stuff going on in them. I definitely have to own this one. It's up there with those unsual good titles like 'Kamichu' and 'Petopeto-san'.

Episode 4 was awesome! 'Isako' is really one badass I tell you! Man I sound so geeky.

I'm really intrigued now to know the productive process it took going into this show. I would have never believed that this show was in production for 10 years. And it's a directorial debut. Like 'Kurau' was. There should be a column done about this guy's work and how he came upon doing this feature.

Can't wait to watch episode 5. Right on time. I wouldn't mind watching "raws" but I think I need some serious comprehension.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-19, 03:25   Link #210
te2rx

Send a message via ICQ to te2rx Send a message via AIM to te2rx
Quote:
That reminds me, I've been wondering. How is the virtual infrastructure in Dennou Coil maintained? As in, what powers it? Where do they get the energy to run it? It's not something that really bothers me greatly though, but I wonder what it's supposed to be.
didn't Iso say somewhere that the virtual world is all innernets? That would mean all the eyeglasses are wirelessly connected to the internet, and the virtual infrastructure of Daikoku is all on some internet servers somewhere. The glasses could be powered by batteries, but since I've never seen them on a recharging station, I'd like to think they work through Tesla-esque wireless energy transfer technology of the future or another 202X mystery technology.

The interesting thing (but probably only to myself lol) is that after watching ep5 translated, it seems like my prediction about how Augmented Reality space works is true -- that dennou megane users are constantly uploading and uploading the status of the physical world to the city's virtual infrastructure as they look through the glasses. Isako takes the club to a largely abandoned place with crap signal strength. "Nobody comes here, so the data was never updated" says someone after Daichi steps through the floor of the bus, and then Isako tells the club to turn off their "data update" function in order to preserve the corruption for proper metabug excavation

Chrno: for Mitsuo Iso's work before Dennou Coil, see here, here, and see Rahxephon ep 15 which is probably the most similar thing he's done to Dennou Coil. It'd be nice to read something on the development/production process of Dennou Coil. Wao translated a few interviews much earlier in this thread
te2rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-19, 09:38   Link #211
zetsumei

Up to ep 5 now and I must say this show is very good; very different and very unique. Also very fun and entertaining to watch.
zetsumei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-19, 09:42   Link #212
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Well,Ep 5 was intresting.

Haraken seems to be very skilled too which isn't suprising considering how useless Fumie thougt he was.

And yeah,Isako's badass.
Old 2007-06-19, 09:42   Link #213
chrno

Quote:
Originally Posted by te2rx View Post

Chrno: for Mitsuo Iso's work before Dennou Coil, see here, here, and see Rahxephon ep 15 which is probably the most similar thing he's done to Dennou Coil. It'd be nice to read something on the development/production process of Dennou Coil. Wao translated a few interviews much earlier in this thread
Thanks! I'll check that out.

Again another great episode. 'Isako' is now in control once more. It be interesting to see what her motives are. I wonder if there will be a revelation during the first half. Around episode 13 where things may get revealed. Or chances are we'll have to wait for the series to reach is end.

That stuff had my jaw drop about 'Haraken'. His name reminds me of "hadoken". It shows you that he's not just some lackidasical guy. As for 'Fumie', she's got some serious issues. It's a show about kids, doing kid stuff, getting mixed up in some crazy scavenger hunt.

Old 2007-06-19, 10:42   Link #214
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno View Post
Thanks! I'll check that out.

Again another great episode. 'Isako' is now in control once more. It be interesting to see what her motives are. I wonder if there will be a revelation during the first half. Around episode 13 where things may get revealed. Or chances are we'll have to wait for the series to reach is end.

That stuff had my jaw drop about 'Haraken'. His name reminds me of "hadoken". It shows you that he's not just some lackidasical guy. As for 'Fumie', she's got some serious issues. It's a show about kids, doing kid stuff, getting mixed up in some crazy scavenger hunt.
Yasako: "Does the word 'denial' mean anything to you?
Fumie: "That's that river in Egypt, right? The one that used to flood every year?"
Yasako: "No."

I find myself wondering that is a talented child like Isako can do such nasty and dangerous stuff with megane technology, what do grownups do with it? Well, we've seen one example -- the Saatchis, which are truly nasty pieces of work. Then again, adults may not have caught on to the technology's full potential; I don't even Mega-baa realizes everything it's capable of. (I suspect that if she did, she wouldn't be giving Fumie and Yasako such dangerous toys -- unless of course she really is as utterly insane as she looks).
Old 2007-06-19, 11:02   Link #215
chrno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
Yasako: "Does the word 'denial' mean anything to you?
Fumie: "That's that river in Egypt, right? The one that used to flood every year?"
Yasako: "No."

I find myself wondering that is a talented child like Isako can do such nasty and dangerous stuff with megane technology, what do grownups do with it? Well, we've seen one example -- the Saatchis, which are truly nasty pieces of work. Then again, adults may not have caught on to the technology's full potential; I don't even Mega-baa realizes everything it's capable of. (I suspect that if she did, she wouldn't be giving Fumie and Yasako such dangerous toys -- unless of course she really is as utterly insane as she looks).
Hahahaha!! Funny! Yeah she must be a crazy granny. After all she gave the youngest one power to go around and shoot things. That's like giving a kid a bebe gun and telling to go out and be responsible with it. But I think grandma hasn't seen stuff the likes of this when she was a "hacker" of some sort. Taking on the challenge makes her feel young and adventurous. Hahaha!

And yes the 'Saatchi's are a nasty piece of work. Sent to do a job but of course they're are a little too efficient as they can't tell a "problem" from a "person". They scare me when they show up. As well as everyone else because people run like hell when they show up. It's like the minute someone uses something to disrupt the "space" it's like you're marked as a threat. It's one way to keep disruptions off the street. Definitely a community watchdog. I noticed that they've been popping up more often. Operating in full force now.

Based on what you said about them creating these things, reminds me of the ep. in 'BakuTen' where the organizations created a automated patrol to enforce the law keeping felons off the street. If you had an outstanding "felon" it would come after you. But of course like all technology there are "flaws". The very idea of a person who once had a felon and is now clean somehow still gets hunted down mechanized watchdogs because of "error" thus ignoring the information imputed provided it was corrected and updated. So of course the people at the top don't care as they toss it up to system error and we'll fix it later.

Yeah, 'Isako' is truly a badass. She's really pretty devious.
I wonder if 'Daichi' actually liked 'Fumie'. More than likely. Or else he wouldn't keep putting differences aside and begging to be a part of their club. It's that whole deal "if I can't join then I'll make my own. And since it's my club I'm leader. I'll show her." And if you notice if he's rejected he acts out. In the case with 'Isako'.

I find it interesting that the teacher allows such behavior. But I noticed that she was watching out of the corner of her eye. The fact that the whole class could still go on while this was happening is quite impressive.

See 'Fumie' if you hadn't rejected him so much he wouldn't have turned into a "little rascal".

I'm still wondering what the deal was behind 'Yasako' being called out by 'Isako'. And of course 'Isako's not playing that game about being close. Really, good development with the characters.

Last edited by chrno; 2007-06-19 at 11:15.
Old 2007-06-19, 11:11   Link #216
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

Quote:

I wonder if 'Daichi' actually liked 'Fumie'. More than likely. Or else he wouldn't keep putting differences aside and begging to be a part of their club. It's that whole boy's club and girls club deal. And if you notice if he's rejected he acts out.

See 'Fumie' if you hadn't rejected him so much he wouldn't have turned into a "little rascal".
It's obvious,I have read enough shoujo manga to know it.It's a cliche,every character who used to be nasty in elementary school suddenly falls in love with their victims later.I have no idea why,what kind of weird pyschotic attention-seeker would do that?
Old 2007-06-19, 11:20   Link #217
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Quote:
Oh, I very much doubt that. Daichi is rascal to the bone. And so, in her own way, is Fumie. So if they finally do end up getting together or joining forces, much havoc shall be wreaked.

Quote:
I'm still wondering what the deal was behind 'Yasako' being called out by 'Isako'. And of course 'Isako's not playing that game about being close. Really, good development with the characters.
Isako was trying to guage whether she was a threat to whatever agenda she's got, and if she could be, intimidate her into not continuing to be so. I'm beginning to wonder whether she is an utter sociopath who sees herself and only herself as human, and everyone else as pawns in her game with the Universe. Clearly she does have a goal, and clearly she is approaching that goal with little or no regard to how it affects those around her. She has the secret knowledge of the Encoders, so to her mind if Fumie and Daichi are sorcerers (and middle-grade ones at that), she must be some kind of demigod. As Daichi's crew found out, if you're going to tussle with gods you'd best have a lightning rod handy.
Old 2007-06-19, 13:08   Link #218
Jimmy C

Ever since episode 3, there's been something I consider strange. Notice that when the teacher is teaching, all the kids have their glasses down, yet the teacher does not appear to use the virtual environment provided by the glasses during the lesson. Then after the lesson, the kids have their glasses up unless they're actually using the virtual environment.
Considering how attached they are to the VE, and its' non-use by the teacher, I would have thought it should be the other way round.

Off-topic, we've had desktop PCs for over 20 years, they still haven't been fully integrated into the educational system. I suppose it's unsurprising that the VE hasn't been integrated either after a mere 11 years in use.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-19, 13:23   Link #219
yura`

Finally caught up with the subs! This almost slipped under my radar, probably cause it aired halfway through the season, but I have to say, this is one of the best shows I've seen thus far.

The premise of the virtual vs. reality is really interesting. There's so much you can just glean from this show, and the different layers and intriguing plot makes for a captivating show with interesting characters. There's still so much we don't know about each individual's backstory (heck, the entire plot, to be specific, since we have yet to discover the origin of this whole virtual environment and the mechanisms of the technology), although I'm sure we'll find out as the show progresses...
yura` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-19, 14:14   Link #220
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Ever since episode 3, there's been something I consider strange. Notice that when the teacher is teaching, all the kids have their glasses down, yet the teacher does not appear to use the virtual environment provided by the glasses during the lesson. Then after the lesson, the kids have their glasses up unless they're actually using the virtual environment.
Considering how attached they are to the VE, and its' non-use by the teacher, I would have thought it should be the other way round.
That's because the students have better things to do with their time than listen to sensei -- things like plot their intricately mapped virtual vendettas or sneak onto porn sites.

This is why you don't see students allowed to bring their laptops into class in the real world -- and the megane are so ubiquitous, and so difficult to distinguish from prescription eyewear, that they're non-confiscateable. (Much like cell-phones today -- the schools would prefer they not be used in class for text messaging, but it's almost impossible to prevent it.)

Yusako's sixth-grade class is going to have to deal with the first round of 'exam hell" unless the education system is fundamentally different in 202X, anyway. I doubt we're going to see anything about it -- perhaps they use their Megane to take the exams (and Daichi wants to be an encoder to he can cheat and get away with it).

Tags
science fiction