AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-11-25, 22:55   Link #21
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Norris View Post
You need way more than five days to visit Madrid leave alone both. Ummm, the travel from Japan to Madrid is going to be really expensive, i checked Brithis Airways for London-Tokio and it costs around 650+ Euros alone so expect at least that money. One day in a three star hotel cost around 50€, with food or not i'm not sure, so taht makes 250€ more. We have a total of 900€ by now. Add transport fares ( 20€ at most,maybe even less), museums (There is a day in every week when they're free but probably it will be Sudnay and thus will be crowed tod eath adn you don't want that), a maximun of 5 euros for each and the must-visits are Prado, Reina Sofia or Thyssen and the Royal Palace which makes a total of 15 Euros. Now we have 935€. You should have at least another hundred or two for extra expenses as evrything is always more expensive that you thought at first.

You'll want to buy some goodies so be prepared. I will add more info later
Going to Europe itself is not a problem - I basically have enough frequent flyer miles racked up on my airline to go to anywhere in Europe twice in first class (which normally goes for an outrageous price of USD$10,000!!). If I were to go Economy, I can go to Europe four times. It's just finding the time to do so that bothers me.

So, I was asking whether or not 1000€ was enough to physically spend time visiting places in Madrid and Barcelona. Judging that I pay zilch for the airfare, I guess 1000€ is more than enough?

Also, any one from Greece to help me on pointers there as well? Like I said previously, Athens is actually the top of my list on places to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidas View Post
Yep thats it. Something else I just remembered, when I went they charged for entry and they charged an additional fee if you wanted to take pictures, and that photo fee wasn't cheap, even with the £'s strength over the Czech currency at the time. And they have all kinds of freaky souvenirs for sale too, so remember to take lots of cash there
They do accept Visa and/or Mastercard right...? Whenever I fly out of the country, I try to stick on using my credit cards instead for the fear of carrying loose cash around.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-11-26 at 01:10.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 07:27   Link #22
General_Norris
Ouendan member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Going to Europe itself is not a problem - I basically have enough frequent flyer miles racked up on my airline to go to anywhere in Europe twice in first class (which normally goes for an outrageous price of USD$10,000!!). If I were to go Economy, I can go to Europe four times. It's just finding the time to do so that bothers me.

So, I was asking whether or not 1000€ was enough to physically spend time visiting places in Madrid and Barcelona. Judging that I pay zilch for the airfare, I guess 1000€ is more than enough?
If you don't have to pay travel expenses then of course you can. However you better choose either Barcelona or Madrid as each city and surrodings takes at least one week.
General_Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 07:44   Link #23
Loniat
Paranoid Android

In my humble opinion, of someone who knows quite a bit of Europe, Spain is most certainly not the first destination for someone who has never been here.

In a historical perspective, Italy, Greece and France would be on the top of my list, especially Italy. After that I would choose England.

Regarding budget, even not counting the airfare, if you think about Scandinavia, a 1000 euros (and remember that Sweden uses the Swedish crown as currency, which is currently quite strong) would be the lower limit since hotel and food can be quite expensive here depending on your standards.

Last edited by Loniat; 2006-11-26 at 08:18.
Loniat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 08:46   Link #24
Supergrunch
Tegenaria gigantea

Send a message via MSN to Supergrunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
UK (I've been to London once, I'd like to go there again... But I *really* want to go around large chunks of the UK on train!)
Perhaps I should tell you that in the UK, trains are absolutely dire. They are always late and/or delayed/break down etc. I think the only feasable way that you coud get around the country easily would be to hire a car...

Anyway, I live near both Cambridge and London, both of which seem to be popular tourist destinations... Cambridge especially seems to have as many Japanese tourists as local inhabitants...
Supergrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 09:54   Link #25
ainin
Hello...

Heheh.... no one is interested in Malaysia? It is a nice place....... Well, maybe not as nice as all the countries mentioned by you all, but still, I think my country is nice.

But, there are many social problems here too...... Still I think it is nice.
ainin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 16:21   Link #26
Azrael_Azure
Femme Fatale

Send a message via MSN to Azrael_Azure Send a message via Yahoo to Azrael_Azure
Quote:
I don't know anything about it aside from the fact that I find the Welsh language very amusing
I was born in Wales. O_O

Well, there aren't that many places left that I really want to go visit. I've been around nearly all of Europe, I'm not so interested in places just outside of Europe because they're slighlty dodgey. (I mean to say that they usually have some kind of conflict going on).

Next summer I move permanently to Montreal. Right now I'm living in Ottawa, but I have to go back to London soon for a short while. :P

My uncle lives in Singapore, he has told me I can visit for free any time. That's awesome!
Azrael_Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-29, 16:44   Link #27
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeNX View Post
Hello!

I live in a City named Molde in Norway.
it looks like this from the place i work (when the weather is nice)
http://ventunoventi.altervista.org/immagini/Molde.jpg
Wow! I want to go there!...
Old 2006-11-29, 17:05   Link #28
General_Norris
Ouendan member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loniat View Post
In my humble opinion, of someone who knows quite a bit of Europe, Spain is most certainly not the first destination for someone who has never been here.

In a historical perspective, Italy, Greece and France would be on the top of my list, especially Italy. After that I would choose England.

Regarding budget, even not counting the airfare, if you think about Scandinavia, a 1000 euros (and remember that Sweden uses the Swedish crown as currency, which is currently quite strong) would be the lower limit since hotel and food can be quite expensive here depending on your standards.
It depends of what you want to see.

Some humble thoughts:

Greece and Italy are for Greeks and Romans mainly. Italy has a renaissence feel but if you want that it is better to head to Spain (Since in that epoch Italy was under the control of Spain and other historicals reasons that I don't feel like to explain right now). In some ways Rome and Madrid are dissapointingly similar and I'm serious.

Spain, France and Portugal are somewhat similar. Portugal is more sea-oriented/north oriented , France more XVIII centurish and Spain more XV centurish.

The British Isles are a weird case in Europe as they are isolated. They constitute a diferent group on it's own.

Unfortunatedly I don't know enough about East europe to talk about it but they have a very nice architecture as far as my model railroading experience can tell me.(Prague is really nice!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainin
Heheh.... no one is interested in Malaysia? It is a nice place....... Well, maybe not as nice as all the countries mentioned by you all, but still, I think my country is nice.

But, there are many social problems here too...... Still I think it is nice.
To be frank I didn't even know what the capital of Malasya is. "Sell " your country to us (or I) ignorant foreigners. Youa re the one who lives there.

I will update a bit the Spanish tour because i'm bored.
Old 2006-11-29, 18:35   Link #29
Loniat
Paranoid Android

Quote:
It depends of what you want to see.

In some ways Rome and Madrid are dissapointingly similar and I'm serious.
Wow! Lots of people miss that! But who would have guessed that the capital of the Roman Empire would be so similar to Madrid?

Anyway, if someone wants to crash in here I could offer some help, depending if I'm around and not too busy.
Loniat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-29, 18:43   Link #30
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
To be frank I didn't even know what the capital of Malasya is. "Sell " your country to us (or I) ignorant foreigners. Youa re the one who lives there.

I will update a bit the Spanish tour because i'm bored.
I've been there twice on business, and it's is a very hot and humid place. The capital of Malaysia is Kuala Lumpur. It is a country in South East Asia, with a bustling economy and is considered to be one of the new tigers of Asia along with Thailand and Indonesia. The country is very heterogeneous, with a mix of Malay, Chinese, and Indian ancestry, with the majority of the populace practicing Islam.

Several cool sites to see is the Berjaya Times Square, Chinatown, the Petronas Twin Towers. Obviously since the past two trips were on business, I didn't get to see much around.
Old 2006-11-30, 07:40   Link #31
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Quote:
Spain, France and Portugal are somewhat similar. Portugal is more sea-oriented/north oriented , France more XVIII centurish and Spain more XV centurish.
Portugal and Spain are very similar, but France isn't as much, I think. At least that is how I feel when I go to Spain. The fact that Portugal and Spain (the "Iberians") have a history of invasions could add to that. But that's in the past (economicaly, that is ).

The construction of both countries is similar, the mediterranean-type. Of course that Spain has a lot more monuments than Portugal, due to their more superior wealth over the centuries.

Portugal is sea-oriented, obviously, since it was the Portuguese who commenced the "Discoveries" in the XV century. Açores, Madeira (now part of Portugal's territory), Brazil (or "Terra de Vera Cruz", at the time), the western/south/eastern coast of Africa (S.Tomé e Principe, Angola, Mozambique, Cabo Verde (Cape Verde), India through sea, Indonesia, even Japan were first discovered by the Portuguese. The Cape of Good Hope was first crossed by Vasco da Gama on route to India.

Spain was more into conquering than discovering. After the Tordesilhas Treaty that was signed by Portugal and Spain kings, all the land that was to the west of the imaginary parallel that crossed Brasil in its west side was to Spain: all Latin America exclueding Brazil, basically.
Old 2006-11-30, 09:18   Link #32
General_Norris
Ouendan member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug View Post
Portugal and Spain are very similar, but France isn't as much, I think. At least that is how I feel when I go to Spain. The fact that Portugal and Spain (the "Iberians") have a history of invasions could add to that. But that's in the past (economicaly, that is ).

The construction of both countries is similar, the mediterranean-type. Of course that Spain has a lot more monuments than Portugal, due to their more superior wealth over the centuries.

Portugal is sea-oriented, obviously, since it was the Portuguese who commenced the "Discoveries" in the XV century. Açores, Madeira (now part of Portugal's territory), Brazil (or "Terra de Vera Cruz", at the time), the western/south/eastern coast of Africa (S.Tomé e Principe, Angola, Mozambique, Cabo Verde (Cape Verde), India through sea, Indonesia, even Japan were first discovered by the Portuguese. The Cape of Good Hope was first crossed by Vasco da Gama on route to India.

Spain was more into conquering than discovering. After the Tordesilhas Treaty that was signed by Portugal and Spain kings, all the land that was to the west of the imaginary parallel that crossed Brasil in its west side was to Spain: all Latin America exclueding Brazil, basically.
Good explanation. I only wanted to note that the Portuguese broke the Tordesillas Traty because they got too inland. If you draw the imaginary circle of 1550 kilometers you'll see that the portuguese you'll see that Portugal should have only "received" a very small part of the Americas but as Portugal and Spain were united by Philip II a bit later it had no importance until both kingdoms got divided again in 1660 (1640?). The Spanish-Portuguese empire was the biggest of all History of Humnity by the way.

Of course Portugal and Spain are more similar between them that with France but I still feel them similar. (I think my english skills have dissapeared. What the hell I'm writing?!)

What I would like to do is going to London this summer (Well, next year's summer) for three months, probably working in some random jobs. I need to practise my English and get a nice British accent.
Old 2006-12-03, 17:00   Link #33
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Lima, Peru (and Cuzco. One obvious reason: Macchu Picchu)
I was in Lima last July on a mission trip. Now, I love the place because of the people there, being a missionary, and all, but if it weren't for them... I'd have to wonder why a person would want to go. There must be something that attracts all those Japanese folk to Lima!

Cuzco, of course, needs no justification! It's a beautiful place, and I'm headed to Lima/Arequipa/Cuzco in January. I'll probably be making pretty regular trips out there for a good while.

Wherever you go in Peru, you can get by cheap. If you eat where most of the population does and you spend about what you would for a meal where you are, you're eating VERY well!

There is one thing I recommend spending extra on, and that is a hotel. We spent nearly what a hotel would cost in the US to stay in a rat's nest hotel with no hot water in some rooms, frequent unavailability of toilet paper (pack some extra), and drive-by shootings. While little else there costs much, to get a good hotel room in a good part of Lima will probably cost a good bit. It's probably not anything you would hesitate to pay for, though.

Do not--DO NOT--plan to drive! Traffic in Peru is crazy in general, with unexpected road hazards, nonsensical road layouts, and people, shops, and animals scattered across half the roads. And the traffic in Lima is beyond insane. Here is a video that will give you just an inkling. The video was from the Cebu in the Phillippines, but the people, sights, and traffic are all things you'll see in Lima, though--on the BEST of days. It's normally far worse. And if you don't know exactly where you're going, it's easy to get into a bad part of town, since Lima's a compact town and the bad parts are found right beside the good parts.

If you want some advice on what to put on an itenerary, or some personal recommendations for interpreters, let me know what kind of things you like and I'll try to get some information for you. I know people in Peru I can ask advice of or recommend personally for help.

Also, seeing your other desired visits, might I recommend Havana, Cuba? I've been there, and it's an amazing place, full of history. I can give some advice on if you or any one else here ever decides to vacation there.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-03, 18:11   Link #34
Vibeke
❤ Fabulous MAX~! ❤
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Vibeke
Well, I'm from Poland, so if anyone want to come here ask about anything.

Poland is very uniqe, we are the only country on the world, which has brothers for president and prime minister (twins!)

Anyone here have visited Poland?

Currently busy studying Japaneese language and culture on Warsaw University//my animelist
Vibeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-05, 23:01   Link #35
Theowne
耳をすませば

Well, I can volunteer info on Sri Lanka and Canada if necessary.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-05, 23:59   Link #36
Rurik
Golden

Well..Ill love to go to New Zealand and Mexico, those would be my first choice.

Im From Dominican Republic...I nice caribean island..anyone up to some of the best beaches in the best weather???? and its really cheap.

1 USD = 33 Dominican Pesos.
Old 2006-12-06, 00:32   Link #37
ImClueless
Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I can talk about Vancouver and a bit about the rest of Western Canada. Its a big country afterall.
ImClueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-06, 04:59   Link #38
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
If you want some advice on what to put on an itenerary, or some personal recommendations for interpreters, let me know what kind of things you like and I'll try to get some information for you. I know people in Peru I can ask advice of or recommend personally for help.

Also, seeing your other desired visits, might I recommend Havana, Cuba? I've been there, and it's an amazing place, full of history. I can give some advice on if you or any one else here ever decides to vacation there.
Thanks! That will be greatly appreciated! Havana, Cuba? I'm willing to try.
English, I'm pretty confident. Spanish...I learned two years but I'm sure it's degraded to a point of no return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeke View Post
Well, I'm from Poland, so if anyone want to come here ask about anything.

Poland is very uniqe, we are the only country on the world, which has brothers for president and prime minister (twins!)

Anyone here have visited Poland?
Warsaw looks pretty interesting too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
Well..Ill love to go to New Zealand and Mexico, those would be my first choice.

Im From Dominican Republic...I nice caribean island..anyone up to some of the best beaches in the best weather???? and its really cheap.

1 USD = 33 Dominican Pesos.
Hmm...maybe I can go to Santo Domingo to Havana to Lima/Cuzco then! That'll be a very interesting trip!!

But alas, no one here is from Athens, Greece? C'mon, I know I saw someone from there on this board!!
Old 2006-12-06, 07:50   Link #39
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
What?!!! I thought I'd never see another person from Sri Lanka on this board Granted I have never lived there (though I have gone there a number of times for visits since most of my extended family live there), but...

Coincidentially I find it amusing how a lot of old discarded Japanese vehicles are refurbished and reused in Sri Lanka, and they sometimes don't bother removing the tags... so you see these random food outlet vans cruising along here and there. Actually I think a lot of people there drive Japanese cars, come to think of it - my uncle himself actually drives a car directly imported from Japan, I helped him translate the funky control panel thing so he knew exactly what he was messing with.
Old 2006-12-06, 09:35   Link #40
Vibeke
❤ Fabulous MAX~! ❤
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Vibeke
Quote:
Warsaw looks pretty interesting too!
And Cracow (or Gdansk)) even better but that's only my opinion

Currently busy studying Japaneese language and culture on Warsaw University//my animelist
Vibeke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel