AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star OVA Rating
Perfect 10 71 44.38%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 22.50%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 32 20.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 8.75%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 3.75%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.63%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-01-26, 03:34   Link #81
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It was a cultural reference; a parody. So if you didn't know the reference it would make no sense. That can be a problem when watching any foreign film.

No, that segment wasn't terribly funny but the entire rest of the OVA was better.
Old 2009-01-26, 04:04   Link #82
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

People tend to view things on the internet thinking they're meant for international audience.

Alot of anime were badly reviewed because they are viewing it with a wrong mindset and background knowledge.

I always think things that I can't understand, I won't judge. One should only judge after understanding what they've seen. Once you understand everything then you can judge whether its good or bad.

Anyway, Tenchou's item list has a full list of Fate/Stay Night weapons.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-02-02, 08:42   Link #83
shinryou
--- semi-hikikomori ---

Correct C.A.!!

So many of my friends disiss many anime as horrible simply because they don't get it

I esspecially see this occur when it comes to lucky star, as many references and jokes are missed by the general audience
Old 2009-02-05, 07:34   Link #84
Solafighter
Hige

There are people, who dont like Lucky Star...? Impossible...

Old 2009-02-06, 01:59   Link #85
Yuka-Chan
柊ユカ
*Artist

the MMO/AFK parts were the funniest xDD!!
i hope there will be a second season .___.;
Old 2009-02-08, 02:47   Link #86
Ayano Katagiri
ĸ-on! : yυι - gυιтarιѕт;

It was ridiculously random at times, but I still loved the OVA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuka-Chan View Post
I second that.
Old 2009-02-08, 14:28   Link #87
MasterJ633

Send a message via AIM to MasterJ633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuka-Chan View Post
the MMO/AFK parts were the funniest xDD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayano Katagiri View Post
It was ridiculously random at times, but I still loved the OVA.

I second that.
I Third that. They REALLY should make 2nd Season.
Old 2009-02-10, 04:00   Link #88
shinryou
--- semi-hikikomori ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterJ633 View Post
I Third that. They REALLY should make 2nd Season.
Fourth, they should be able to... unlike other anime it doesn't have a plot so still possible...

"can't get away... from the sound of life..." - shinryou
Old 2009-02-18, 10:26   Link #89
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Wow after the Live Action Lucky Chanel there will be a concert!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-budokan-arena
Old 2009-02-21, 13:32   Link #90
Nerroth
NePoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Anyway, Tenchou's item list has a full list of Fate/Stay Night weapons.
Damn him and his Gate of Babylon.
Old 2009-02-27, 20:48   Link #91
Jin and Toanic
Vide supra
*Fansubber

Bandai licenses LS OVA. :3

Daze~
Old 2009-03-02, 14:58   Link #92
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I wonder how they're planning on releasing it.... it isn't really long enough for a stand-alone DVD...
Old 2009-03-02, 15:45   Link #93
Konatafan
Lucky Star Maniac

I know right. I'm hoping they throw in a translation of the radio shows, kinda of like how Funi did with Burst Angel. That new Kagami Figma as an extra would also be nice, but that's just fantasy. Volume 1 of the manga included would be pretty nice though too.

Guess we'll have to wait to find out. Who knows, it might even turn up included with volume 6 of the dvds for all we know.
Old 2009-03-02, 20:44   Link #94
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

It's hard to believe but I just found out about the OVA. I don't think there's a lot of cultural references from what I've heard but I have to see it first. I've been out of anime for so long it's hard imagine being so into it again (although I still watch J-news and J-shows like London Hearts). Only 5 page of discussion surprised me though... perhaps L*S fanbase isn't what it used to be. If I see some interesting non-otaku cultural references I write something I guess.
Old 2009-03-03, 02:18   Link #95
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The cultural references are pretty straight forward for the most part except for the one really surrealistic petshop segment that almost no one outside of Japan might get.

If you know how eroge games tend to play out -- then the first sketch about the dog is understood (though its not a rib-tickler).

The MMO sketch pretty much fits MMO play of any kind but particularly freeplay-cashshop MMOs popular in Japan and elsewhere.

The volleyball sketch is just a nice bit of character definition and bonding with a few "fourth wall" gags about secondary characters.

and so on (including a bit of implied KxK yuri) .... the Lucky Channel live-action piece was just silly tomfoolery by our two voice-acting stars..... though Akira-chan's VA doesn't really get to totally cut loose as much as I'd hoped.
Old 2009-03-03, 04:30   Link #96
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Welcome back, AVPlaya. It's been a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The cultural references are pretty straight forward for the most part except for the one really surrealistic petshop segment that almost no one outside of Japan might get.
Wait a minute...is the surrealistic style itself referencing something? I thought it was just somebody on drugs making up stuff about Keroro Gunso, Code Geass, and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (or similar parody of "oldies" Japanese film style), among other series that were popular at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
If you know how eroge games tend to play out -- then the first sketch about the dog is understood (though its not a rib-tickler).
Ah...didn't know that's supposed to be an eroge staple. I really should go play Little Busters. >_>
Old 2009-03-03, 13:42   Link #97
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Meh, I exagerrated while sleepy... I've not found a specific movie that the pet shop sketch might refer to but here's a collection of the references all posters think they've spotted so far:

1) Toilet no Hanako (maybe)
2) Code Geass: (I am Zero!)
3) Code Geass: (I will use you up like a ragged cloth!)
4) Sgt. Keroro
5) Macross (Aya Endo, Galactic fairy)
6) Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (Patty -"Zetsuboushita!" )
7) Soul Eater (Kagami advised the Konata: "This cat isn't a witch or anything." Kagami's seiyuu also does the voice of Blair from Soul Eater, who isn't a witch. Just a really, powerful kitty.)

I would lay money that the overall skit is a reference to some oddball film or film genre though. Just haven't spotted it.
Old 2009-03-07, 23:20   Link #98
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Well I've finally watched the OVA and I see a ton of anime/otaku references as usual... the are some really difficult cultural references but I did spot them (they did it on purpose I'm sure)... these guys really like cheezy tarentos and manzai comedians. I can recongize neta from at least 3 different comedians.... I especially enjoy the one Shiraishi sneaked in there at the end of Lucky Channel... when he screamed "Sutaffuu!" he was doing a parody of the currently infamous comedian "Kimoi Ikemen" Kano Eikou. Boy that dude was hilariously disgusting. I have to really dig where that Konata parody "Heaven has forsaken me!" line came from.. turn out to be an obscure movie called "Hakkoda san" or Mount Hakkoda , which depicted a true story of a group of Japanese soldiers training for WWII who got lost and freeze to death on Mount Hakkoda in Aimori Prefecture. Supposedly that was the famous line from the movie, and aptly appropriate for the scene. I think there's enough neta for a good post but I really have to do a lot of research... especially about some really dumb 笑い芸人 who could get famous in Japan for doing one dumb neta over and over again.
Old 2009-03-08, 22:17   Link #99
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
I especially enjoy the one Shiraishi sneaked in there at the end of Lucky Channel... when he screamed "Sutaffuu!" he was doing a parody of the currently infamous comedian "Kimoi Ikemen" Kano Eikou. Boy that dude was hilariously disgusting.
Please elaborate. I can't find such mention anywhere.
Old 2009-03-09, 18:13   Link #100
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Please elaborate. I can't find such mention anywhere.
It doesn't surprise me since I doubt many otaku watches mainstream shows... I dunno if I can find anything on the net to prove it either. It's this neta he has where he believe he's a big shot ikeman tarento, and he would scream to his "staff" for stuff like water in the manner Shiraishi does it, hand by the side of the mouth etc. Come to think of it, my goodness, Shiraishi even DRESSED like him.... Ever wonder why Shiraishi is suddenly in an ugly white suit? I guess you have to really be a regular view of London Hearts and other shows these tarento frequents to know how aweful he is... he has this most self-centered, pretentious and shallow presona which many believe is actually his own.

Here's what this douche Kano Eikou (狩野英孝) looks like:

Maybe I'm wrong on this but even my wife said Shiraishi is parodying this guy....

PS.. I feel so embarrassed about knowing so much about this... I must be more productive in my life like watching more anime.
Closed Thread