Old 2009-06-07, 00:11   Link #101
nicepace
The congueror Of The EAST

^ no! for sure
Old 2009-06-07, 02:07   Link #102
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
From what I've seen in your posts, you seem to be arguing that bounty has nothing whatsoever to do with strength.
If that is how you interpreted my posts, then you have misunderstood me. What does the word "primarily" mean to you? "Primarily" means mostly, largely, or mainly, not completely or entirely. I said that bounties are primarily based on threat and not strength. That doesn't mean that strength is not a factor at all, but rather it just means that it is not the main basis for determining the value of a bounty, as I've already greatly elaborated upon.

Anyways, if you still don't agree with me, I don't really care to be honest. If you reply to me about this matter again, I'll only provide you with a few examples to show you that bounties serving as an approximate indication of strength simply doesn't work. It is quite a flawed system when it comes to strength. Beyond that, I won't bother to try and persuade you to understand my valid reasoning. It seems like we've been getting newcomers on this forum who are stubborn and like to argue just for the sake of arguing, even when they are presented with well detailed evidence to suggest that they're wrong.
Old 2009-06-07, 16:26   Link #103
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
It seems like we've been getting newcomers on this forum who are stubborn and like to argue just for the sake of arguing, even when they are presented with well detailed evidence to suggest that they're wrong.
Newcomers....? Blackbeard D Kuma, it's not just newcomers who are guilty of such things.
Old 2009-06-07, 16:38   Link #104
james0246

^Was that a self-referential jab....

Joking aside, this chapter was fun, and it moved the story along quite nicely. I'm predcting 2 chapters, at most, before the climax of Impel Down starts. Specifically, before the Magellan v. Luffy fight officially starts.

Last edited by james0246; 2009-06-07 at 17:14.
Old 2009-06-07, 17:00   Link #105
Sakuranbo
So Like A Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankss View Post
Typical internet routine, some random internet kid finds it amusing to play the anonymous negative guy 24/7.

Judging by our everday mindless fanboi's view, this eposide sucked because jinbei didnt do a damn,Blackbeards fate is unknown,Iva is defeated in single blow.Dont even bother replying so that they can go and sulk in their little room.
The internet must spew out tons of these types everyday, I just wish I had banning privileges

I am very curious to see if Blackbeard shrugs Magellan's poison off.
Old 2009-06-07, 17:40   Link #106
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenal View Post
Newcomers....? Blackbeard D Kuma, it's not just newcomers who are guilty of such things.
Old 2009-06-07, 18:41   Link #107
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Was that a self-referential jab....

Joking aside, this chapter was fun, and it moved the story along quite nicely. I'm predcting 2 chapters, at most, before the climax of Impel Down starts. Specifically, before the Magellan v. Luffy fight officially starts.
I have a feeling Magellan would have a fight with Shiryuu instead of his rematch with Luffy.
Old 2009-06-07, 19:51   Link #108
Sakuranbo
So Like A Rose

Magellan allowing Shiryuu's release; biggest little mistake
Old 2009-06-07, 19:53   Link #109
Ermes Marana

Quote:

Additionally, in regards to "fan service", besides Buggy, we have known that all of these characters were in Impel Down for close to 150 chapters, far longer than Ace has even been captured. So, realistically, it would have been strange if Luffy hadn't run into them during his invasion of the Gaol.

Good point.

I guess it isn't the old characters appearing that bothers me, but rather that many of the other prisoners of Impel Down seem generic and the old characters stand out so much.

Mr 3 was the only one on level 2 who attempted escape before the Sphinx was defeated. Other prisoners should also have devil fruit powers and be strong, so I would think he wouldn't stand out so much on his floor. Similar with Buggy just happening to be escaping at exactly the moment to run into Luffy.

More than that, it annoys me that Luffy is kind of at a low point with all his losses lately and loss of his crew, and yet he is sailing through Impel Down itself by pure "main character" luck and family name and moving up to higher and higher weight classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
You appreciate to get the good out of something. You criticise to find room for improvement. When you want to enjoy something, you would like to appreciate.

I disagree. I think criticizing helps me enjoy things even more. If I didn't criticize, that wouldn't make me enjoy it any more. But I wouldn't know why, it would just be a mysterious sense of disappointment and I would have nothing to look forward to. However, by writing down some specific things I don't like, it is no longer mysterious, and I can let those things go as much as possible and look forward to when the things I don't like will end (which I expect will be very soon). I also criticize because I like the art of storytelling itself, and I like thinking about what works and doesn't work.
Old 2009-06-07, 20:01   Link #110
syler321

[QUOTE=Ermes Marana;2440684]

More than that, it annoys me that Luffy is kind of at a low point with all his losses lately and loss of his crew-QUOTE]

you mean his crew got saved yeh?
if kuma woudnt do what he did kizaru and sentomaru would have kicked all of there asses and u saw how zoro was,i think kuma did zoro a favour cos he likes him and i think garp might have told kuma to go and save luffy and the only way to do it was by teleporting every crew member to diffrent place,even if they r by them selfs it atelast not againts kizaru and the others...

i think oda wanted to giva an arc that tells the story more about luffy(the main charcter) and also about new charcters,and if thats his reason then i think ID arc is a pretty cool arc cos he did put new cool charcters with new powers,and we also saw luffy lost to magellan which is also cool cos oda wants to show that luffy isnt ready for the new world yet and he still needs to train much more and to be more stronger for the next time that he meets an admiral or someone else who is strong...
Old 2009-06-07, 20:05   Link #111
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well, we've been shown 4 zoan fruit users, the guardians, Magellan's Poison Fruit, Inazuma's Scissors, Iwa's Hormones, we learnt of someone who had a digging fruit. On top of that we had like 8 old characters with Devil Fruit abilities, Luffy, Hancock, Mr 0, 1, 2, 3, Ace and Buggy. Then Black Beard came crashing in with his ability and Lafitte may also have an ability for those wings.

We're actually shown almost 20 devil fruit users in this single arc that's not complete, I'm not sure if even Oda can fill in more.

Criticism does promote discussion if applied correctly and if the critic himself is up for discussion. If a critic's mind is not open and doesn't have any intention of viewing in other perspectives, that criticism ends up as nothing.

Anyway I'm also interested in what Shiryu is up to, could he be just a one dimensional character who just enjoys killing, or could he have some greater intention? Could Magellan actually be wrong in letting him out?
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-06-07, 20:12   Link #112
Ermes Marana

Quote:
Originally Posted by syler321 View Post

i think oda wanted to giva an arc that tells the story more about luffy(the main charcter) and also about new charcters,and if thats his reason then i think ID arc is a pretty cool arc cos he did put new cool charcters with new powers,and we also saw luffy lost to magellan which is also cool cos oda wants to show that luffy isnt ready for the new world yet and he still needs to train much more and to be more stronger for the next time that he meets an admiral or someone else who is strong...

I agree with you ID has many good points as well.

I never said it was terrible, even the worst chapter of OP is better than most mangas.
Old 2009-06-07, 20:14   Link #113
syler321

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Could Magellan actually be wrong in letting him out?

yeh pretty sure he knows that also...
im sure they will meet up also for a warden vs warden.
Old 2009-06-07, 20:18   Link #114
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermes Marana View Post
I guess it isn't the old characters appearing that bothers me, but rather that many of the other prisoners of Impel Down seem generic and the old characters stand out so much.
That is something Holypanl and I have discussed in various other threads. The moment Buggy appeared and the basic set-up of the prison was explained (the Level system) and that 4 of the Levels were dedicated to people with a bounty under 100 million, I knew that Impel Down was going to be like nothing any of us expected. Consequently, I ranted and raged for a chapter, until I simply adjusted to the fact that my preconceived notions were shattered. Afterwards, I came to realize that Oda deliberately set-up the prison to emphasis Level 6, and to make Luffy's journey more strenuous and exciting (the first 5 Levels are simply set-up for the final level where named prisoners are found). Now we are entering the conclusion of the prison portion of the arc, so, much the same as other arcs have ended with the destruction of the area, now Impel Down is going to hell in a hand basket, and I am almost expecting the prison to literally be destroyed by the end of this portion of the arc.

Quote:
Other prisoners should also have devil fruit powers and be strong, so I would think he wouldn't stand out so much on his floor.
Despite the amount of Devil Fruits we have seen during the course of the story, ultimately the fruits are fairly rare. So, the fact that the majority of the prisoners do not have DF powers is not that weird.

Though, again, it goes back to our preconceived notions regarding the jail. Originally, I expect that most of us would have assumed that the majority of the prisoners would have been DF wielders (and the few regular pirates that can stand up to DF wielders).

Quote:
More than that, it annoys me that Luffy is kind of at a low point with all his losses lately and loss of his crew, and yet he is sailing through Impel Down itself by pure "main character" luck and family name and moving up to higher and higher weight classes.
Honestly, I see Luffy at his most frantic in this arc. He's single-minded in his pursuit, and has pushed to side much of his joking attitude while traveling through Impel Down; the primary outlet for humour for this arc has been Buggy, Mr. 2 and 3, and Ivankov, not Luffy, which is unusual and a clear sign that Luffy is acting very different from the way he usually acts.
Old 2009-06-07, 20:31   Link #115
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A
Well, we've been shown 4 zoan fruit users, the guardians, Magellan's Poison Fruit, Inazuma's Scissors, Iwa's Hormones, we learnt of someone who had a digging fruit. On top of that we had like 8 old characters with Devil Fruit abilities, Luffy, Hancock, Mr 0, 1, 2, 3, Ace and Buggy. Then Black Beard came crashing in with his ability and Lafitte may also have an ability for those wings.

We're actually shown almost 20 devil fruit users in this single arc that's not complete, I'm not sure if even Oda can fill in more.
We are going to see tons more in the coming war and while luffy gets out of Impel down. This is awesome seeing so much Fruit Users. Just think how many more are down there not being shown. I always wondered what happend to captains who battle Kizaru on the Island. I wonder if they were sent to Impel Down? Oda as really out done himself on the creativity of the devil fruit users and the characters.

Last edited by grey_1960; 2009-06-07 at 21:27. Reason: for got to add a thought
Old 2009-06-07, 20:50   Link #116
syler321

[QUOTE=grey_1960;2440739]I always wondered what happend to captains who battle Kizaru on the Island. I wonder if they were sent to Impel Down?QUOTE]

i think kizaru left them alone after sentomarou called him,there main mission was to stop the 3 top supernova,luffy,kidd and law.

he did what he did to the other 4 supernovas just bcos he was bored,so i think after sentomraou called him he just forgot about them and went on his way to meet up with sentomarou...
Old 2009-06-07, 21:07   Link #117
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Quote:
^Was that a self-referential jab.....
You know better than anybody, Phenomenal don't debate, my scan/quote obliges...

I just pray to God that Magellan's plan is to move the battleships AWAY from ID so Luffy does not get off.....
Hopefully next week One Piece will pick up...

Last edited by Phenomenal; 2009-06-07 at 21:52.
Old 2009-06-07, 22:16   Link #118
james0246

^I'm kind of hoping that Magellan will just outright have the ships destroyed, effectively making it impossible for anyone to ever leave Impel Down.
Old 2009-06-07, 22:27   Link #119
Sakuranbo
So Like A Rose

^
I'm still wondering why Luffy didn't run into Arlong in Impel Down, I thought I recall reading he was arrested?
Old 2009-06-07, 22:36   Link #120
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
^I'm kind of hoping that Magellan will just outright have the ships destroyed, effectively making it impossible for anyone to ever leave Impel Down.
This is most likely where Jimbei is going to shine. Having the ships destroyed is no obstacle for the great knight of the sea. I won't be surprised if he is Luffy's mode of transportation to Marineford. Really now, with the current circumstances, it's like the plot is beckoning for Jimbei to take some kind of action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
^
I'm still wondering why Luffy didn't run into Arlong in Impel Down, I thought I recall reading he was arrested?
That is correct. Arlong was arrested, but it was only mentioned that he was in prison. Since we haven't seen him in Impel Down, I guess it's safe to assume that he is in confinement elsewhere at the moment.

Last edited by Blackbeard D. Kuma; 2009-06-07 at 22:58.
Closed Thread