AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-05-31, 21:24   Link #1
Rowi

Organ Donation

I was just deciding whether I should become an organ donor or not... I mean, if I'm dead, I'd definitely want my organs to help someone if they can, but I heard that your family has to pay for the organ harvesting operation. How is that fair? Please, if anyone can help clear this up for me... not that I plan on dying any time soon, but just so I'll be able to decide.
Rowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 21:35   Link #2
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowi
... but I heard that your family has to pay for the organ harvesting operation.
Not according to US Department of Health and Human Services (Women's Health.gov):
Quote:
Organ Donation and Transplantation

Q. Does the donor's family have to pay for the cost of organ donation?

A. No. The donor's family neither pays for, nor receives payment for, organ and tissue donation. The transplant recipient's health insurance policy (or Medicare or Medicaid) usually covers the cost of transplant.
Also See:

-> Myths & Facts About Organ Donation
Quote:
Myth: My family will have to pay for the cost of my donation.

Fact: There is no cost to the donor family for donation. All expenses related to organ and tissue donation are assumed by the recovery organization and passed on to the transplant recipients and their health insurers. However, funeral expenses and hospital costs not associated with the donation remain the family's responsibility.
Here's the Organ Donation FAQ: http://www.organdonor.gov/faq.html

There are more links here in this list of Google.com search results:

-> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...on&btnG=Search

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-05-31 at 21:49.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 22:03   Link #3
aahhsin

i really doubt they'll charge your family for YOUR donations.

Either way, my organs are going to be buried with me.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 22:11   Link #4
Rowi

Quote:
The donor's family neither pays for, nor receives payment for, organ and tissue donation. The transplant recipient's health insurance policy (or Medicare or Medicaid) usually covers the cost of transplant.
Wow, thanks! I shall definitely become a donor when I get my lisence renewed. It seems like a win-win situation. Well, except for the whole "I'm dead" part.

Just out of curiosity, though, why wouldn't you want to donate, aahhsin? Like, are there any religious reasons or just a preference?
Rowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 22:24   Link #5
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowi
Just out of curiosity, though, why wouldn't you want to donate, aahhsin? Like, are there any religious reasons or just a preference?
Pretty much a preferance. call me selfish, but i like my body parts.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 22:46   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Way selfish. Like you've got any use for them once they're rotting. I'd be happy to know that someone is making good use of my body parts instead of letting them rot.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 23:12   Link #7
Seras

but by the time you die, wouldn't your organs be super old too? like if you died at age 80, and decide to donate, wouldn't the person receiving the organ also be around the same age? they're most likely going to hit the bucket pretty soon anyways, right? maybe im totally missing something here, but ya, i'd donate too if it helps some other person.
Seras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 23:34   Link #8
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seras
but by the time you die, wouldn't your organs be super old too? like if you died at age 80, and decide to donate, wouldn't the person receiving the organ also be around the same age?
Organ donation: Don't let myths stand in your way (MayoClinic.com)

Myth. I'm too old to donate. Nobody would want my organs.

Reality. There's no defined cutoff age for donating organs. Organs have been successfully transplanted from donors in their 70s and 80s. The decision to use your organs is based on strict medical criteria, not age. Don't disqualify yourself prematurely. Let the doctors decide at your time of death whether your organs and tissues are suitable for transplantation.

-------8<--------

Myth. I'm not in the greatest health, and my eyesight is poor. Nobody would want my organs or tissues.

Reality. Very few medical conditions automatically disqualify you from donating organs. The decision to use an organ is based on strict medical criteria. It may turn out that certain organs are not suitable for transplantation, but other organs and tissues may be fine. Don't disqualify yourself prematurely. Only medical professionals at the time of your death can determine whether your organs are suitable for transplantation.

-------8<--------

Myth. Organ donation is against my religion.

Reality. Organ donation is consistent with the beliefs of all larger religious denominations in the United States. This includes Catholicism, Protestantism and most branches of Judaism. If you're unsure of or uncomfortable with your faith's position on donation, ask a member of your clergy.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 00:04   Link #9
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Organs are what they are organs. They dont have a shred of your identy with them (Except the skin, which can have nice tatoo's).

Though its better that they take the organs out before I get burned.
I am going to have myself Cremated, cheaper on the family and they can carry around a piece of me. Or they can just use me for Top Soil (Heck that'll be pretty cool)... Honestly I dont care what happens to my body.

Though most people probably dont have the same beliefs as I do. I see the body as a temporary vessel. Nothing worth wild to keep hanging on to after I am dead.

EDIT: Another Idea I forgot to put in, No uncomfortable cemetary visits for the family!

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 05:39   Link #10
real folk blues..

yeah, put the organ into good use.
let's put something like this in the "weird food i want to try" thread too..
1.0.7. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 09:20   Link #11
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
Sell a kidney and half a liver when you're alive, donate the rest that way you can make some money out of them, & at the same time help the less fortunate
Old 2006-06-01, 10:14   Link #12
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seras
but by the time you die, wouldn't your organs be super old too? like if you died at age 80, and decide to donate, wouldn't the person receiving the organ also be around the same age? they're most likely going to hit the bucket pretty soon anyways, right? maybe im totally missing something here, but ya, i'd donate too if it helps some other person.
Not if you get hit by a car or something.

No one plans to die young, but...ya know, sometimes sh*t happens.
(That's also why why people should have wills set up no matter their age...I should really get one, myself.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.0.7.
yeah, put the organ into good use.
let's put something like this in the "weird food i want to try" thread too..
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 10:19   Link #13
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

I had Organ doner on my drivers lisence, hay I wont be using them or my body or my dvd player or this computer or my room or my manga or anything realy so whats the point.
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 22:32   Link #14
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

As others have mentioned... no, you won't be billed for organ donation. And yes, everyone should mark their driver's license for organ donation. Please notify your significant other, friends, or family members that you intend to donate as well. We're in urgent need of organ donations... Your donations can easily save the lives of 4-6 people. It's truly frustating to see people who deserve a second chance at life to be denied due to insufficient organ donations.

On that note, please also donate blood. Blood doesn't stay fresh forever... it's viable up to 42 days. Besides, did you also know that donating blood can help reduce your chances of heart disease?

Thank you everyone...
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 22:47   Link #15
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Even if you have explicit wishes to be an organ donor, and have that on your drivers license.

You need to make sure that your family/friends/significant other is understanding of your wishes and agrees with them.

Because once you are unconscious/dead, If you have a significant other/family around and the doctors ask for permission to harvest...They can still prevent the donation despite your wishes otherwise.

So make sure anyone who has legal authority when you are unable to express your own desires and respects them, Or you might not end up donating.

I'm to tired to phrase this more appropriately, and I know its rambling, but oh well..
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-02, 23:19   Link #16
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
At first I was gonna say "holy crapo, you gotta pay for donating your own self!", then I read a little bit farther. ^_^

Personally I don't think having that on my driver's licence any worth it. I don't mind donating lesser important organs that really can save another. If i just happen to meet death tomorrow, "take anything that they can harvest off me, I've been too selfish and concided all my life, I hope this can help me a little bit off" is what I would say.

If my family want to refuse me donating my organs to another, i would hopefully write in my "Will" that it would be taboo to refuse it. ^_^ Well there's my ramble.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote