guiltygearxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-04, 20:24   Link #2402
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Simoun-Fans, you rock! Thank you for all the efforts in subbing this wonderful series!

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-05, 19:29   Link #2403
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

Hmmm..since the final episode released, i decided to see this series today and i finished it in one go .

Impression wise, I was happy that they didnt try to woo the crowd using fan service and instead relied heavily on their story. The concept was fresh and nice, but still the series was a let down. The first 10 epiodes were needed to get me the actual feel of the Simoun world. I was hoping for some considerable charatcter development since the possiblities were real high with so many pairs, but the hapazart progress of the series, and the poor character development kind of turned me down.

I was really interested in knowing the end, but that didnt turn out much impressive either. I still dont get why in the whole world Nevrile fell for Aaeru. The characters seemed a bit in mess and even the voice actors seemed a bit off too often.

The art was really good, espescially the Simoun design, definitely "Chariots Of Gods", but still, they had to compensate on the overall background thanks to it, which kept on hurting the eye. Neway, since the designs were good i dont really mind that.

Over all it was satisfactory, and i wasnt bored. But this could have been made a much better series espescially when they had such a nice concept
toxic_trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 00:46   Link #2404
SAT

To Futaba-chan,

Would you mind advising what the Endless War is?
SAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 11:48   Link #2405
Light.

I'd have to agree with Toxic Trance.

Overall, the anime was worth watching (obviously as I saw the whole series through) but it did prove to be somewhat of a disappointment. The parts that seems to progress rather fast and almost edge-of-the-seat-ish, were the first eight episodes or so and then the last five episodes. Everything in between had room for development but, sadly, had very little at all. At times I wanted to see the group break up instead of being together all the time (as in, show a portion of that person's life, not the group actually breakin' up) so that I could get a feel of each character's personality in a more in depth manner but, even Aaeru who I wanted to know most about, wasn't developed as much as she could be.

One of the things I liked best when I first starting watching Simoun was the early conflict. Right off the bat things got sour. Aaeru had to cut the dead woman's (well man to be correct) hands off to clear the cockpit which was definitely something sick. And did anyone notice her one red eye when she turned around to tell Limone not to watch?! I could have sworn that the series would later explain why one of her eyes turned red but it never resolved my curiousity. Anyways, after that episode it seemed as though the action never really got to be that drastic. The characters weren't pushed to their limits like they could have been and I certainly didn't see any real progress in terms of char. development.

It's not that I didn't like this series, it's that I loved it and wished more thought would have been put into it. And if not more thought then at least another season. But at any rate, that's my opinion on the matter.
Light. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 12:57   Link #2406
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
I certainly didn't see any real progress in terms of char. development.
So the Paraieta we see in the end is virtually the same as the angsty, insecure Paraieta of epsiode 15? Or Mamiina from episode 19 is the same as the one from episode 7 who thought only about herself? You are more than welcome to complain about bad or illogical character development but I am a bit puzzled by your opinion that there was no real progress in that department. Could the characters have been developed futher? Definitely. But I think there simply wasn't enough time to develop fully so many characters. They could have concentrated on developing Aaeru and Neviril but they chose to concentrate on the group dynamics of Choir Tempest and not make it a show with only two really important characters.

Quote:
I could have sworn that the series would later explain why one of her eyes turned red but it never resolved my curiousity. Anyways, after that episode it seemed as though the action never really got to be that drastic. The characters weren't pushed to their limits like they could have been...
So sacrificing yourself to save the others is not as drastic as cutting the hands of some dude you hardly knew and was also your enemy? Interesting opinion, I don't share it though. For instance Aaeru was more shocked and shaken by the explosion in episode eight than by the events in episode four, shouldn't that be more of a case of "pushing to the limit"?

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 15:06   Link #2407
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I found the posts by toxic_trance and Light very interesting and they certainly give me something to ponder when I get a chance to rewatch the entire series in subs. I felt some frustration myself, wanting to know more about each character and see them develop further. But I definitely agree with Matrim that there was a lot of character development all round: Aaeru, Neviril, Mamiina, Yun, Limone, Dominura, Rodoreamon, Paraietta, Kaimu and Alti, even Furoe -- even Onashia, for that matter.

I think there are a lot of people who never really cottoned on to Aaeru. Personally, I found her very attractive right from the start, despite her bull-in-a-china-shop ways, and can easily understand Neviril's emotional trajectory toward her. I did, however, feel that the romance between them in the later stages could have been led into a little more smoothly and given greater impact. But the odd distance involved was consistent with both their characters.

We discussed the red eye a couple of thousand posts back. I personally think it was just a visual way of suggesting Aaeru's intense feelings. It is apparently gone in the DVD. I guess it wasn't as clear a technique as the animators thought it was.

As for only the first few and last few episodes being intense enough, I've seen people write that it took them several episodes to even get into the story, and that it was good after that. Different strokes for different folks.

I think that watching the show as it came out -- and having a week between episodes to ponder, rewatch, discuss and anticipate -- was probably a quite different experience from marathoning the show.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 02:43   Link #2408
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
We discussed the red eye a couple of thousand posts back. I personally think it was just a visual way of suggesting Aaeru's intense feelings. It is apparently gone in the DVD.
Nope, still there (in the first pressing, anyway).

On an unrelated note, this was posted over on Izumi - who says Simoun fans can't have a laugh at the show's expense?

I Wish I Was a Lesbian - Simoun Style

If you're reading this, Chu, I salute you
Old 2007-04-07, 03:03   Link #2409
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Nope, still there (in the first pressing, anyway)....
Good. I liked it. Thanks. Sorry to mislead.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-04-07, 13:19   Link #2410
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
On an unrelated note, this was posted over on Izumi - who says Simoun fans can't have a laugh at the show's expense?

Absolutely classic!
Old 2007-04-07, 14:10   Link #2411
DreamerRin
Furu Furu Furu Moon~

Yay finished downloading the series. It took a day and a half but it was worth it. Glad to have another anime series in my collection. Thankies Simoun-fans for making it possible to understand what they're saying. hehe~
Off to watch it again <3
DreamerRin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 19:24   Link #2412
Siobhan

Quote:
Nope, still there (in the first pressing, anyway).

If you're reading this, Chu, I salute you
Haha, I'm glad you enjoyed it. XD
Siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 16:08   Link #2413
whodhellknew

Just finished the series so thanks for the subs!

Spoiler for :

Last edited by whodhellknew; 2007-04-09 at 16:10. Reason: added stuff
whodhellknew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 20:30   Link #2414
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodhellknew View Post
Just finished the series so thanks for the subs!

Spoiler for :
Spoiler:
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-10, 12:49   Link #2415
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

If you loved Ishikawa Chiaki's OP for Simoun, you should hear her OP and ED for the new show Bokurano. They are both great. Bokurano itself, while not exactly a genre I love, appears to be an outstanding anime, too, based on its first episode.

The new show I most like so far is Touka Gettan, the one that has the sound director and animation director from Simoun. The sound and look are beyond praise -- rich and deep. The story, while so far impenetrably complex, is powerfully intriguing. And yes, it has some hints of yuri, especially in episode 2.

I also like Hitohira, which is a gentle story about a girl who is so nervous that she sometimes can't even speak, yet who becomes a member of the drama club. Kawasumi Ayako is outstanding as her sempai.
Old 2007-04-10, 20:24   Link #2416
Dandruff
Flakey

Thanks to the Simoun-fan fansubs I was to watch the whole series, I'm glad I invested time into this series. I really liked the charactors and how they grew as the story went on. Their inter-personal relationships with eachother and how the events surroundings them effected them. I also liked the unique backdrop for the setting, it was a very interesting world.

I liked the Open-Ended ending, it's a personal taste I developed so I had no complaints, it's a good coming of age ending. The show was powerful and emtional in key scenes and I liked that. Well, I have more to say but I can't put my thoughts into words, gonna go rewatch the show as I try to figure how, lawl.

Btw, I ship MorinasXWapourif, AnubitufXGuragief, and LimoneXDominura
Dandruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 23:06   Link #2417
guess

Congradulations, Simon-Fans fansub. You guys are the model of us leechers. "Stop winning about when the sub is going to come out and do it yourself!" We all heard that so many times but you guys actually did it. Not only have you done a great job subbing Simon, a niche in the wave of anime last year, but also you finished it! A true honor. Thank you guys, from the bottom of my heart.
Old 2007-04-14, 14:49   Link #2418
Jaden

I just leeched and watched this yesterday as well. Thank you Simoun-fans, very good translation.

The fact that I watched the anime in one go must mean it was pretty good. I'm known to mercilessly drop series if I don't like them. Still, it's not something I'll remember always or would watch again.

What kept me interested was mostly Aaeru, everything else was sub-par. XD I had to keep watching if only to confirm that in the end she draws the emerald and lives happily ever after. :P
Old 2007-04-16, 01:11   Link #2419
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

All right, I started watching this, then subbing got stalled, so I waited until it was all finished, and just finished episode 16. Because it's late and I have to go to sleep, I just need to say Aaeru is, so far, quite the hellacious Mary Sue. Brilliant young upstart waltzes in, is rude and insulting and reckless but gets away with everything, claims the best pilot in the place, and seems to be getting more sanctimonious as the series goes on. I hate characters who are somehow "destined," regardless of how ill-fitting they seem as a couple.
Old 2007-04-16, 01:40   Link #2420
oneplusme
Simoun-Fans Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
All right, I started watching this, then subbing got stalled, so I waited until it was all finished, and just finished episode 16. Because it's late and I have to go to sleep, I just need to say Aaeru is, so far, quite the hellacious Mary Sue.
Whilst I agree that Aaeru, particularly at the start, has a fair few Mary Sue-ish traits, she never quite hit that alarm bell for me. She's bratty, fragile, very naive and quite often wrong (the latter in particular is not a common Mary Sue feature ).

Spoiler for end of the series:

(I admit, though, that I'm one of the minority who really got to like her after her antics in episode 13.)
oneplusme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri