AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-12-24, 19:41   Link #61
martino
makes no files now

Could you please download MediaInfo, open the file you tried to convert with it and post the information from the Text tab. Ty.
Old 2008-12-25, 22:41   Link #62
Longcat
pizza pizza

Send a message via AIM to Longcat
I hope this helps. I also might add that I'm on a vista 64 bit system if that may pose a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaInfo
General
Complete name : I:\Anime\Series\Kaiba\[F-B_Ureshii]_Kaiba_-_04_[AAC-H264-720p][98E37313].mkv
Format : Matroska
File size : 233 MiB
Duration : 24mn 0s
Overall bit rate : 1 357 Kbps
Movie name : Kaiba 04: Grandma's Room of Memories
Encoded date : UTC 2008-05-08 12:48:30
Writing application : mkvmerge v2.1.0 ('Another Place To Fall') built on Aug 19 2007 13:40:07
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
Cover : Yes / Yes / Yes

Video
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@5.1
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 23mn 59s
Nominal bit rate : 1 164 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.053
Title : Kaiba 04: Grandma's Room of Memories
Writing library : x264 core 59 r839M 27c3071
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / me-prepass=0 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / fgo=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=1164 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=1.00 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=2:1.00
Language : Japanese

Audio
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 4
Format profile : LC
Format settings, SBR : No
Codec ID : A_AAC
Duration : 24mn 0s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
Title : 2.0 LC-AAC
Language : Japanese

Text #1
Format : ASS
Codec ID : S_TEXT/ASS
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Sub Station Alpha
Title : Styled ASS
Language : English

Text #2
Format : UTF-8
Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
Title : Plain SRT

Chapters
1 : 00:00:00.000 - Prologue
2 : 00:00:29.905 - Opening 「Never」
3 : 00:02:00.000 - Episode
4 : 00:22:25.304 - Ending 「Carry Me Away」
5 : 00:23:54.870 - Next Episode Title
Longcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-26, 06:58   Link #63
martino
makes no files now

I'm afraid I'm going on a holiday, so I can't take a proper look until I get back, however as that file has softsubs, you'll have to end up using type 3. As far as Vista x64 is concerned I have no clue.
Old 2009-01-27, 00:38   Link #64
SnooSnoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Alternative Guide
This version is a bit easier. However, as the video will be re-encoded (even if the subtitles are already encoded into the video), the result will most likely be lower quality.

1. Required Software
- MKVExtractGUI
- mkvtoolnix
- VSFilter (part of CCCP, so you should have it already)
- PS3 Video 9 (similar tools might also work for other systems such as PSP or Wii)
- AviSynth (optional - also included in PS3 Video 9!)

The first three files are only necessary if the file you are trying to convert MKV files with soft subtitles.

2. Extracting the subtitles
If the file has soft subtitles, you need to extract the subtitles first using MKVExtractGUI. Make sure you put MKVExtractGUI in the same folder as mkvtoolnix (C:\Program Files\mkvtoolnix by default) btw.

The subtitle file (shown as S_TEXT/ASS for styled subtitles or S_TEXT/UTF8 for plain subtitles) will be put in the same folder as the video file.

Note: some MKV files also include fonts. You may need to extract and install the fonts (using the Control Panel) in order for the styled subtitles to look just the way they're supposed to look.

3. Write the AVS (AviSynth) file
This is the hard part: writing the AVS file. Actually the hard part is getting the folders and filenames just right (this could be tricky if the file has a complicated filename and is in a folder a few levels deep). Btw, an AVS file is simply a text file with a .AVS file extension.

Write a AVS file that looks like this:
Of course make sure all the paths and filenames are changed to whatever file you want to convert. TIP: right click and select "Rename" on the file you want the filename of, and then press CTRL-C to copy the filename to the clipboard. Then just press CTRL-V to paste the filename in Notepad.

If the MKV file you want to convert does not contain subtitles (in case they're already encoded in the video) leave out line 1 ("LoadPlugin") and line 3 ("TextSub") and keep just line 2 ("DirectShowSource").

Before converting, verify the AVS file works by opening it in MPC (Media Player Classic). If you get a AviSynth error message, you'll need to fix the AVS file.

4. Convert with PS3 Video 9
I'm not going to explain the usage of PS3 Video 9 here, as it's pretty simple. Also you'll need to test for yourself which conversion profile works best for you. But if you have followed the steps above, you should be able to convert the MKV file just like you would any AVI file.

If you need a hint: select "Convert", then "Current conversion" tab. Then just click the "Convert video" button and select the AVS file you just created.

Optional hint
If you go to Start -> Programs -> Combined Community Codec Pack -> Media Splitter Settings and then under the Options tab enable "Autoload VSFilter" (in Compatibility section), you might be able to skip the whole MKVExtractGUI phase! You probably still need to write the AVS file, but you can get away with just the "DirectShowSource" line (and leave out the others).

Disclaimer
I have neither a PS3 nor a Xbox 360, so I can't test this. But I did succesfully convert various files to PSP format (using PSP Video 9) this way.
The conversion works and the subs are kept after converting. However I encountered another problem. There appears to be 2 lines of subtitles(same subs, but they appear twice). Any way to remedy this? Thanks in advance

Edit: I am converting with Red Kawa's iPod Touch Converter.

Edit2: I tried converting another video: [gg-TakaJun]_Kara_no_Kyoukai_-_The_Garden_of_Sinners_-_04_[B2465A9B].mkv
This time I end up getting this when trying to play the .avs with MPC.
I get a
Spoiler for Error:

Last edited by SnooSnoo; 2009-01-27 at 03:28.
SnooSnoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 09:40   Link #65
sa547
*Author

Previously I had headaches with other conversion software due to the fact some took very long to convert, or that they can't hardcode softsubs. Right now I'd like to do it so that I could watch my shows either on a portable player or a DVD player with a DivX hardware codec.

However, I found a way to get it right this time. As Any Video Converter (Windows) uses the Mplayer/Mencode engine under the hood, it's possible to use some command switches (and a bit of tweaking) to get a proper conversion job. Makes it possible to finally watch what I love while on the go. xD

To configure AVC for converting softsubbed MKV to AVI (or just about any type video) with properly-sized hardsubs (including Japanese kanji):

1.) Open C:\Program Files\Any Video Converter\mplayer
2.) Rename (or delete) the default subtitle font, as it looks too blocky IMHO.
3.) Copy Arial Unicode MS (or any Unicode-compliant font) to the folder and rename it as 'subfont' (Why that even if I had specified the correct font name, Mencoder ignored the switch and used the default font instead).
4.) Now go to Start > All Programs > Any Video Converter and open the program (or via desktop shortcut). Then go to Edit > Options. In the Additional MPlayer/Mencoder options add these:

-subfont-text-scale 3 -unicode

The text scale (size; acceptable sizes can be from 1-100) can be adjusted according to your needs. -Unicode tells mencoder to recognize the embedded softsubs as Unicode.
5.) Save the settings by pressing Ok

You may try to test the resulting output/conversion by first loading an MKV file and playing it on the preview screen.

Notes: Your results may vary, depending on the encoding setup and methods used by the subbers.
Old 2009-01-28, 10:11   Link #66
martino
makes no files now

NB: Mencoder will ignore ASS/SSA styling and use its default settings for that. In other words, it'll look like an ASS/SSA -> SRT conversion. Also knowing that libass does not support many ASS tags, the lines might not be rendered at all, or will be just put as a simple dialogue line (that is if Mencoder does use libass at all and not some other, lower class, renderer).

mencoder --ass --sid x etc etc (it's not really magic...)
Old 2009-01-28, 17:33   Link #67
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
NB: Mencoder will ignore ASS/SSA styling and use its default settings for that. In other words, it'll look like an ASS/SSA -> SRT conversion. Also knowing that libass does not support many ASS tags, the lines might not be rendered at all, or will be just put as a simple dialogue line (that is if Mencoder does use libass at all and not some other, lower class, renderer).

mencoder --ass --sid x etc etc (it's not really magic...)
Ok, I understand that using the Mencoder engine keeps things simple than fancy. All I just need was the subtitles, and if in case I run into trouble into certain vids, I'll use mkvtoolnix and other esoterica.

At least I have the modicum of comfort of knowing that everything is possible.
Old 2009-01-29, 09:21   Link #68
pookakitten

Been having problems with the script. The file has the correct video and audio codecs to use type 1 (I'm ignoring the subtitles for now).

I think the problem starts with the *_vid_new.mp4 file. The episode is ~25 minutes long, but the mp4 file is about 16 minutes long. The file skips a chunk at the beginning and the action moves faster, like it was encoded at 29 fps instead of 23 fps.

Then at the last encoding step, it gives the error "Error importing bin\truetears1_vid_new.mp4: Bad Parameter"

The cut and paste of the dos prompt output is under the spoiler tags.

Thanks for any help.

Samantha

Spoiler for Output info:
pookakitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 18:15   Link #69
martino
makes no files now

Mmmh... currently looking at it. There seems to be something strange going on...

EDIT: Found the problem. Cause is the script which muxes the video and timecodes into an mp4 file. I'll see if I can do something about it.

EDIT2: That's caused by a bug in mkvtoolnix. I suggest you try upgrading, or downgrading. Not sure which ones work and which ones don't. Try this.

Last edited by martino; 2009-01-29 at 21:20.
martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-29, 21:14   Link #70
pookakitten

Quote:
EDIT: Found the problem. Cause is the script which muxes the video and timecodes into an mp4 file. I'll see if I can do something about it.
Thanks. Can the script handle the multipart mkv files? The ones where the OP and ED are separate files from the episode itself. If not, how do you manually "add" the files together into a bigger file?

EDIT: Thank you. Using that version of MKVtoolnix fixed the problem. Now I'm trying a type 4. Decided to start with a type 1 encode to simplify troubleshooting.

EDIT 2: With the "new" version, it asked for magic1.dll and regex2.dll in addition to the files in the list on the opening post.

Last edited by pookakitten; 2009-01-29 at 23:14. Reason: More info
Old 2009-01-30, 13:02   Link #71
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookakitten View Post
Thanks. Can the script handle the multipart mkv files? The ones where the OP and ED are separate files from the episode itself. If not, how do you manually "add" the files together into a bigger file?
No, it can't. The only way to handle those with this script is to re-encode the audio and video.

Quote:
EDIT 2: With the "new" version, it asked for magic1.dll and regex2.dll in addition to the files in the list on the opening post.
OK, thanks for letting me know. I'll add them to the front post.
Old 2009-01-30, 16:41   Link #72
pookakitten

re: multipart mkv files
Quote:
No, it can't. The only way to handle those with this script is to re-encode the audio and video.
I found that out. I recommend having only one of the files in the conversion directory at a time. I had both files there and the silly software took the video from the OP, put it in the output file but didn't take the audio, resulting in the audio and video not being sync'd.

I'm using YAMB to split files and splice them together.
Old 2009-01-30, 20:37   Link #73
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
I had both files there and the silly software took the video from the OP, put it in the output file but didn't take the audio, resulting in the audio and video not being sync'd.
Strange, because that should work using AviSynth and DirectShowSource... or at least from what I recall. I mean, if it plays fine in a DirectShow player, like MPC or ZP, then the mentioned approach should work too.
Old 2009-02-04, 13:27   Link #74
lubczyk

Quote:
Strange, because that should work using AviSynth and DirectShowSource... or at least from what I recall. I mean, if it plays fine in a DirectShow player, like MPC or ZP, then the mentioned approach should work too.
Do you think the Audio/Video being out of sync is due to the splitter? I'm not sure what splitter the person is using, but in the past I've had success with Gabest Splitter for MKV files where Haali Splitter caused out-of-sync results.

Then again, I've had FFmpegsource give me problems and that's a totally self-contained source filter.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 21:24   Link #75
martino
makes no files now

It could be a cause, however Gabest's is probably not out of sync because it probably doesn't even support segment linking (and therefore less things to screw up on).
Old 2009-04-18, 22:45   Link #76
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Hm...I've tried converting via Method 1, but it never seems to work. It says there's an error with the audio, but I don't know what's happening, since the screen just closes afterwards. I've double-checked everything, but I'm doing nothing wrong. By the way, my file is a type 4.

Can anyone help me? =)

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 21:21   Link #77
Fenrirulfr
abuse of greatness

Send a message via AIM to Fenrirulfr Send a message via Yahoo to Fenrirulfr
ive been attempting to follow your guide but i keep getting the this
error

Spoiler for error:

i got it to work once by saying that my video was type 1 but in the end i had no subs... the video is a type 3b

also when i installed mkvtoolnix i only found one of the .dll files that i needed so i simply copied all of the files into the directory

i'm using an avsync script created with Megui cuz i did not understand how to create my own
Fenrirulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 22:18   Link #78
Fenrirulfr
abuse of greatness

Send a message via AIM to Fenrirulfr Send a message via Yahoo to Fenrirulfr
ok.. i think i fugured it out.. but now the process is scheduled to take hours...
Fenrirulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 00:14   Link #79
aurentuluva

I'm having problems

I need help I tried the first option in the beginning of this forum page. Unfortunately I keep running into the file not changing into MP4. I don't know whether I am missing files which I believe I'm not. And I don't know if I'm entering this correctly but let me know.

The movie is ST09.mkv
Size: 702
Media Length: 01:54:24
Video Size: 640 x 320
Video: MPEG4 Video(H264)640x320 25.00fps[Video]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz stereo[Audio]
Location: C:\Users\David\Desktop\Converters\VideoChanger\ST0 9.mkv

I created a AviSynth Script called: ST09Test

When I run mkv2mp4.bat this is what shows up and what I have entered:

Running MKV to MP4 batch script v1.03
---
What type of file have you got? (1, 2, 3 or 4)
Type: 4
Please enter the filename of the MKV file to load excluding the extension
File: C:\Users\David\Desktop\Converters\VideoChanger\ST0 9
Please enter the filename of the AviSynth script to load excluding the extension
Script: C:\Users\David\Desktop\Converters\VideoChanger\ST0 9Test
Please enter the filename for the final output file excluding the extension
Output: C:\Users\David\Desktop\Converters\VideoChanger\ST0 9
Please enter the pixel aspect ratio (in the format N, ie 1:1):
PAR: 1:1
Is your video standard or high definition (s or h)
Standard: s
Please enter the video bitrate (kbps) that you would like to use (recommended: 700-850)
Bitrate: 700
---
Encoding Audio...
*Nero AAC Encoder
*Copyright 2008 Nero AG
*All Rights Reserved Worldwide
*Package build date: Sep 17 2008
*Package version: 1.3.3.0
*See -help for a complete list of available parameters.
BePipe by dimzon
Script used:
#BEGIN
Import("C:\Users\David\Desktop\Converters\VideoCha nger\C:\Users\David\Desktop\Converters\VideoChange r\ST09Test.avs")
# END
Scanning for Audio Stream...
ERROR: Can't find audio stream!
ERROR: could not parse WAV file
---
Encoding Video First Pass...
bin\x264: unknown option -- progress
---
Encoding Video Second Pass...
bin\x264: unknown option -- progress
---
Muxing Video and Audio...
Progress: 100%
mp4box -nhml 1 "C:\Users\David\Desktop\Converters\VideoChanger\ST 09.vid.mp4"
Error opening file C:\Users\David\Desktop\Converters\VideoChanger\ST0 9_vid.mp4:
Requested URL is not valid or cannot be found
Died at script/tc2mp4.pl line 82.
Unknown input file type
Error importing bin\C:\Users\David\Desktop\Converters\VideoChanger \ST09_vid_new.mp4: Requested URL is not valid or cannot be found

Last edited by aurentuluva; 2009-07-18 at 00:30. Reason: pasted from notepad, edited for better reading
aurentuluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 21:21   Link #80
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Please enter the filename of the MKV file to load excluding the extension
File: C:\Users\David\Desktop\Converters\VideoChanger\ST0 9
Please enter the filename of the AviSynth script to load excluding the extension
Script: C:\Users\David\Desktop\Converters\VideoChanger\ST0 9Test
Please enter the filename for the final output file excluding the extension
Output: C:\Users\David\Desktop\Converters\VideoChanger\ST0 9
Don't use file names with embedded spaces. Use hyphens or underscores to connect the words together.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
file conversion, wiki candidate