AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-03-21, 04:38   Link #1
Tatsuyama Asuka

Question I am a Japanese. I would like to hear what an overseas person thinks of anime.

私は英語が得意ではありません。
I'm not good at English.

ですので日本語で失礼します。

実は同じ内容のスレッドをSuggestionsセクションに投稿していたのですが、Gene ral Animeセクションに移るべきだというご指摘を受けましたので、移動しました。

セクションの内容を理解せず、場違いな内容を投稿したことを、誠に申し訳なく思います(´;ω ;`)

以下内容です↓

Japanese

私たち日本人が普通だと思っている多くの表現は、海外の文化圏の人々にとって変だと思うことが 多々あると思 います。

私はそういう「認識の違い」を知りたいと思っています。

海外の人が日本のアニメに登場する表現などで、何か疑問があれば教えて欲しいです。
それが、私の答えられる範囲のことならば答えさせていただきます。

キャラクターの名前に関する質問は特に歓迎します。
例えば
"この姓は実際に存在するか"

"日本語でこの名前を書いてほしい"
などです。

返事待っています。

English(larethian様が翻訳してくださいました)

There are many 'forms of expression (translator note: w.r.t anime presentation or dialogue)' which are normal to us Japanese, but which may appear strange to foreign interest groups.

And that "difference in perception" is what I would like to know about.

If anyone from outside of Japan has any doubt on a 'form of expression' appearing in an anime, I would like to hear about it. And I will try to answer your doubt as long as it is within my means to do so.

I especially welcome questions on the names of characters.
For example
"Does this surname actually exists?"
or
"I would like you to write this name in Japanese."
and things like that.

I await your reply.

です。

同時に、

I would like to remind everyone that this is an english forum not a japanese one, and all post here must be made in english.

との発言もありまして、私はここにいてもいいのだろうか?と疑問を抱きました。
もし私の存在は場違い、迷惑とのことなら、私はこのサイトから消えます。

以上、乱文失礼しました。
Tatsuyama Asuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 04:45   Link #2
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Hi again! Now that this is in the right sub-forum, we won't have to worry about this thread being closed.

I'm actually kind of curious as to what the Japanese think about Westerners/Americans? (I live in the US). Have you thought about traveling to/visiting the US?
Old 2012-03-21, 04:48   Link #3
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

You could move this thread to a Japanese lesson forum or website instead of AnimeSuki, right ?
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 05:04   Link #4
Kyuu
=^^=

To answer your question.
  • You can browse this forum.
  • Browse other anime forums.
  • Browse anime convention sites.
  • Anime and Anime convention groups in Facebook.
  • If you dare, check out /a/. But do not recommend this. Heck, I won't tell you where this is.

But since you're Japanese making (or taking) questions, I might as well take this opportunity:

Can Americans someday make "anime" on their own? Mind you, I'm aware of the Japanese view using the term "anime" for all animation. Unfortunately, we English speakers differentiate the Japanese style of animation apart from everything else, including Korean.

To anyone else on this forum, don't bother answering this question, especially if it bothers you.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 05:26   Link #5
Tatsuyama Asuka

Smile To miroku2192様

Quote:
Welcome to AnimeSuki Forums! Hope you enjoy your stay here !
ありがとうございます。
Thank you very much!

とても嬉しいです。
I'm very glad.

Quote:
I would also like to hear what the Japanese people think of Westerners, especially the ones with an anime infatuation.
私は好ましく思います。
やっぱり自国の物が他国で評価されるというのはとても嬉しい事ですし

アメリカ(USA)の人に限って言うならなんとなく
自由奔放
というイメージを持っています(もちろん、悪い意味ではありません。)
日本にはない自由さ(?)を少しうらやましく思います。

Quote:
And do you ever plan on visiting the United States?
今のところ予定はないですが、将来的には、機会があれば行ってみたいとは思います。

Quote:
Hi again! Now that this is in the right sub-forum, we won't have to worry about this thread being closed.
よかったです

P.S

ぬらりひょんの孫が好きなのですか?
だとしたら私も好きなのでとても嬉しいです!
Old 2012-03-21, 05:48   Link #6
judasmartel
*Author

This is awesome. A Japanese getting outside hir comfort zone (sorry I'm not sure if you're a boy or a girl). In recognition of this, I'll keep my English as simple as possible when replying to this thread.

Well, I'm not American, but animes are quite popular here in our country. It is just so unfortunate that our seiyuu industry is not as flourishing as yours, and our voice actors usually do Asian dramas or something like that.

Speaking for myself, I find anime as a very versatile genre ("you can put anything into an anime, from everyday life to the works of Karl Marx") and has more profound lessons than anything I have ever seen. I would say "anime is the soul of the Japanese bared for all the world to see".

Anyways, I am asking you some questions about yourself and Japan, but I guess I'll send you a Private Message for that.

But here is one in my mind: Can foreigners adapt a Japanese alias while in Japan, especially if his given name is incredibly difficult or offensive to spell or pronounce in Japanese, and provided he stays there for a long time?

Last edited by judasmartel; 2012-03-21 at 05:59.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 06:06   Link #7
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
This is awesome. A Japanese getting outside hir comfort zone (sorry I'm not sure if you're a boy or a girl). In recognition of this, I'll keep my English as simple as possible when replying to this thread.

Well, I'm not American, but animes are quite popular here in our country. It is just so unfortunate that our seiyuu industry is not as flourishing as yours, and our voice actors usually do Asian dramas or something like that.

Speaking for myself, I find anime as a very versatile genre ("you can put anything into an anime, from everyday life to the works of Karl Marx") and has more profound lessons than anything I have ever seen. I would say "anime is the soul of the Japanese bared for all the world to see".

Anyways, I am asking you some questions about yourself and Japan, but I guess I'll send you a Private Message for that.

But here is one in my mind: Can foreigners adapt a Japanese alias while in Japan, especially if his given name is incredibly difficult or offensive to spell or pronounce in Japanese, and provided he stays there for a long time?
I was actually wondering about that last part myself since my name is difficult to pronounce for many non-Hispanics.
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 06:17   Link #8
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
This is awesome. A Japanese getting outside hir comfort zone (sorry I'm not sure if you're a boy or a girl).
I'm curious as to what your face would look like if the person turns out to be a dude.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 06:19   Link #9
Tatsuyama Asuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
To answer your question.
  • You can browse this forum.
  • Browse other anime forums.
  • Browse anime convention sites.
  • Anime and Anime convention groups in Facebook.
  • If you dare, check out /a/. But do not recommend this. Heck, I won't tell you where this is.
拾い読み・・・ですか?
申し訳ありませんが、意味が伝わりません
I can't understand.

出て行っても良いけど出て行かなくても良いということですか?

Quote:
But since you're Japanese making (or taking) questions, I might as well take this opportunity:
Can Americans someday make "anime" on their own?
"アメリカがアニメを作る事ができるか"ですか?
私はアメリカはやろうと思えばなんでもできるんじゃないかと思います
ですが、日本のような という解釈でしたら、もしかしたら少し難しいかもしれません。
物のとらえ方が違うかな・・・・・・と思うので。

でも、アメリカにはアメリカにしか作れないものがたくさんあると思います

Quote:
Mind you, I'm aware of the Japanese view using the term "anime" for all animation. Unfortunately, we English speakers differentiate the Japanese style of animation apart from everything else, including Korean.

To anyone else on this forum, don't bother answering this question, especially if it bothers you.

少し意味を捉えかねるのですが・・・
つまり自分の好きにしても良いということでしょうか?

だとしたらありがとうございます

Thank you!
Old 2012-03-21, 06:22   Link #10
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I'm curious as to what your face would look like if the person turns out to be a dude.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
From the intel we've gathered so far, she's probably a girl.
DIBS
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 06:53   Link #11
Tatsuyama Asuka

Quote:
私は16歳女子(girl)です
残念ながら私は中学校(Junior high school)レベルの英語力すら怪しいので迷惑をかけることも多いかと思います

Quote:

声優がドラマ・・・ですか?
吹き替えでしょうか?

今は時間がないので、あとで頑張って翻訳して返事をしたいと思います。
Old 2012-03-21, 07:07   Link #12
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsuyama Asuka View Post
私は16歳女子(girl)です
残念ながら私は中学校(Junior high school)レベルの英語力すら怪しいので迷惑をかけることも多いかと思います
Oh, yeah, that's unfortunate, isn't it?

Quote:
声優がドラマ・・・ですか?
吹き替えでしょうか?

今は時間がないので、あとで頑張って翻訳して返事をしたいと思います。
Ah, you know, the people voicing anime characters, and in non-anime cases, voicing OVER the original speech. If you have watched foreign movies with Japanese voices on them, you should get the idea.
Old 2012-03-21, 07:49   Link #13
larethian

@Tatsuyama-san
申し訳ないが、できるだけ原文の後ろに並んで、機械翻訳より英語に訳した文を入れてお願いします。このフォ ーラム(掲示板)では、英語でしか会話していけないのです。完全に私の間違いでした。はい、すみませんでし た。m(_ _)m ゴメンナサイ。

[In English: Sorry, but as much as possible, I would like to request you include the machine translated text after your original text. We can only carry out conversations using English in this forum. It was completely my mistake. Sorry. *prostrates sorry*]
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 08:15   Link #14
Forsaken_Infinity

I could try to greet you with my rudimentary Japanese but that would be insulting so I am gonna chicken out of it.

Other than that, I am going to provide my answer to the topic you started this thread with.

I think anime - as in the medium - is wonderful. It's a very vivid and valuable medium of storytelling. And there are so many classics! It's just awesome.

However, I dislike anime - as in the actual products - in general. There are exceptions, of course. Those would be the classics I mentioned. However, in general, I dislike anime and it's been getting worse as of late. I could be getting tired of them or I am just getting more cynical. But either way, I feel that most of the shows that get produced miss the mark and completely miss the potential the medium has.

However, I have known from a while, although I don't know with certainty because this is basically what I hear from others, that anime is somewhat looked down upon in Japan. And that the anime industry isn't necessarily a financially sound one. I can therefore understand the constrictions that most anime face. Especially now that the industry has more or less become dependent on what the mainstream society doesn't find acceptable. With that in mind, I think it's really something else that most anime still manage to tell a good story and even explore a few things about human nature and other deep philosophical constructs occasionally. I am not conceited enough to shoot down the hard work of lots of people. Not when many of them work underpaid and without much recognition by society.

As for a request for you, I would like to hear from you how you personally see anime and how the general populace sees anime in Japan. You sound like the type of person that sees things from a casual perspective. Most people whom I have read opinions from on this subject have been people who were analytical and perhaps knew far too much about how the industry runs. I would like to know how a Japanese citizen completely uninvolved with the mechanisms of the industry sees anime. Or any related media for that matter.

Lastly, I encourage you to spend more time on English boards etc. if you wish to interact with foreigners. You could even try playing a MMORPG or some other online game with friends you make over the net. Continuous communication is the fastest and the best way to learn a language. That is, assuming you have more than a passing interest in interacting with foreigners.

Now if only somebody would be kind enough to translate my post into Japanese.
Old 2012-03-21, 08:41   Link #15
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
はじめまして

アメリカ人です。女性。私にとってはアニメと漫画は最高です!一番好きな系は絶対「少女」連載です。^^純粋ロマンス大好きだからね (>▽<)
Old 2012-03-21, 08:57   Link #16
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I will try to use simple English. When I cannot I will try to use very precise words in the hope that the precision will aid in translation.

Since you ask about anime I will review a few anime that have gained significant popularity on this board, and express why I believe they appeal to Westerners.

I believe that Japanese animation appeals to Westerners primarily because of the universality of the human condition.

Some anime are very straightforward in its presentation of these universal themes:

Consider Cross Game (クロスゲーム) a recent anime adapted from a manga by Mitsuru Adachi (あだち 充). This anime was very popular here at AnimeSuki, even winning the AnimeSuki Choice Awards last year. The story contains some Japanese elements such as Japanese funeral customs, Koshien, and Japanese concepts such as senpai-kohai relationships.

However, the commonalities are much more significant: Grief for the death of a loved one. The complexity and difficulty of romance. The importance of keeping promises. Working together as a team to accomplish a difficult goal.

Americans especially can identify with the baseball arc. We also have our Little League games, and National championships. With a few minor alterations, the story of Cross Game could occur in any Small Town USA.

Other anime may at first glance appear to be more Japanese, but actually have strong Western roots.

Consider Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (魔法少女まどか☆マギカ) the show that won this year's AnimeSuki Choice Awards. What can be more Japanese oriented then a Magical Girl anime?

However, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica was inspired by the story of Faust. A famous Western legend of a man who made a "deal with the devil." Because of this, Western fans began making accurate predictions about the plotline as early as episode 2. By episode 9, several Japanese fans began commenting on this, wondering how the Western fans were able to predict future events so well.

Additionally, the Magical Girl elements are originally Western, and are not unfamiliar to Westerners. Any Western girl, or boy who has sisters, was exposed to the Magical Girl genre in shows such as Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Rainbow Brite, or She-Ra. The original Japanese Magical Girl shows were developed from an old Western show called Bewitched.

The ending for Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica as well:

Spoiler for Spoiler for ending:

Certainly significant Japanese elements have been added to this show, but the sources are primarily Western.

Other shows are very Japanese in origin yet still have wide appeal to Westerners. The works of Takahashi Rumiko (高橋 留美子) are good examples.

Inuyasha (犬夜叉) is a story set in Japanese feudal era and populated with Japanese legends and myths. To the Japanese these are more familiar stories. To a Westerner however it is new and mysterious. Because the story of Inuyasha is a quest, both reactions are effective in generating interest.

Ranma 1/2 (らんま1/2) requires understanding Japanese concepts of obligation to fully appreciate the difficult situation Ranma is in. Western fans often do not understand why Ranma has such a hard time making a choice between his multiple fiances. However, the exploration of gender issues has significant appeal to Westerners. What does it mean to be feminine? What does it mean to be manly?

Maison Ikkoku (めぞん一刻) is very Japanese. Many of the obstacles that Godai needs to overcome before winning Kyoko's hand in marriage do not exist in Western culture. However, the general story is very universal. A boy must become a man, and prove himself worthy to marry the woman he loves. Most stories externalize this development into a monster that the boy must defeat. Maison Ikkoku shows an internal development. Godai must change himself, and must defeat his own weakness. This is a less common depiction, and therefor made Maison Ikkoku notable, even outside Japan.

Shows like these often have elements that Westerns do not understand, or don't even see. However, these differences of perception are not enough to prevent a Westerner from enjoying the show.

I believe the shows that are most confusing to Westerners are those that use Western iconography and symbolism incorrectly.

Christianity, particularly Catholicism is commonly used this way. Enough so that Western Anime fans even have a term for it: Anime Catholicism, or to reference the most glaring error that we often see "Nuns are Mikos." (Nuns are actually quite different from Mikos. The image most Westerners associate with Nuns is an elderly woman wielding a ruler that will be used to punish you for some mistake you made.)

Shows such as Chrono Crusade (クロノ クルセイド) are so flagrant in these errors that often it serves as amusement for Western fans. Despite these errors, the general story of a sister sacrificing herself to save her younger brother is again a story with universal appeal, and so the show is still popular with Westerners.

However I think this errant use of Western symbols is one of the reasons Japanese anime has a reputation for "weirdness" among the mainstream Western audiences. The obsession with giant humanoid robots being the other.

There are several other things in Japanese anime that Westerners have trouble understanding.

For example "Class S" (クラスS) is often incomprehensible to Westerners and mistaken for lesbianism.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 09:34   Link #17
Tatsuyama Asuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
@Tatsuyama-san
申し訳ないが、できるだけ原文の後ろに並んで、機械翻訳より英語に訳した文を入れてお願いします。このフォ ーラム(掲示板)では、英語でしか会話していけないのです。完全に私の間違いでした。はい、すみませんでし た。m(_ _)m ゴメンナサイ。

[In English: Sorry, but as much as possible, I would like to request you include the machine translated text after your original text. We can only carry out conversations using English in this forum. It was completely my mistake. Sorry. *prostrates sorry*]
わかりました。
I understand.

元はと言えば私の拙い英語のせいですのであまり謝らないでください
Since it will be the result of my awkward English if it says origin, please do not apologize too much.

先刻、次からはそうしようと考えていました。
I thought that it would do so from the next a while ago.

これからは英語の勉強を頑張ろうと思います。
I think that I will do my best in English study from now on.
Old 2012-03-21, 09:34   Link #18
judasmartel
*Author

So, anyone recommend us a global MMORPG here?

@topic Welcome to Animesuki, TS (Topic Starter).
Old 2012-03-21, 10:43   Link #19
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Try reading the Japanese Culture thread here to see what we foreigners like and dislike about Japan.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 10:52   Link #20
Tatsuyama Asuka

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
I could try to greet you with my rudimentary Japanese but that would be insulting so I am gonna chicken out of it.

Other than that, I am going to provide my answer to the topic you started this thread with.

I think anime - as in the medium - is wonderful. It's a very vivid and valuable medium of storytelling. And there are so many classics! It's just awesome.

However, I dislike anime - as in the actual products - in general. There are exceptions, of course. Those would be the classics I mentioned. However, in general, I dislike anime and it's been getting worse as of late. I could be getting tired of them or I am just getting more cynical. But either way, I feel that most of the shows that get produced miss the mark and completely miss the potential the medium has.

However, I have known from a while, although I don't know with certainty because this is basically what I hear from others, that anime is somewhat looked down upon in Japan. And that the anime industry isn't necessarily a financially sound one. I can therefore understand the constrictions that most anime face. Especially now that the industry has more or less become dependent on what the mainstream society doesn't find acceptable. With that in mind, I think it's really something else that most anime still manage to tell a good story and even explore a few things about human nature and other deep philosophical constructs occasionally. I am not conceited enough to shoot down the hard work of lots of people. Not when many of them work underpaid and without much recognition by society.

As for a request for you, I would like to hear from you how you personally see anime and how the general populace sees anime in Japan. You sound like the type of person that sees things from a casual perspective. Most people whom I have read opinions from on this subject have been people who were analytical and perhaps knew far too much about how the industry runs. I would like to know how a Japanese citizen completely uninvolved with the mechanisms of the industry sees anime. Or any related media for that matter.

Lastly, I encourage you to spend more time on English boards etc. if you wish to interact with foreigners. You could even try playing a MMORPG or some other online game with friends you make over the net. Continuous communication is the fastest and the best way to learn a language. That is, assuming you have more than a passing interest in interacting with foreigners.

Now if only somebody would be kind enough to translate my post into Japanese.
長文を完全に理解するには私の能力が足りません。
My capability is insufficient for understanding a long sentence completely.

よって、理解できた部分のみの返答となる事をお許しください。
Therefore, please allow becoming the answer of only the understood portion.

私もアニメは素晴らしいと思います。
I think that anime is wonderful.

私がアニメを見る目的は2つあります。
There are two purposes that I look at anime.

1つは、漫画の単行本が出版されている場合、それを買うかどうかを見極めるためです。
The 1st is for discerning whether he buys it, when the book of comics is published.

すなわち、アニメを見て面白かったら原作も読もうと考えます。
That is, anime is seen, and if interesting, I will think that an original will also be read.

2つめは、原作の漫画を既に読んで内容を知っている場合、アニメとなって動き、話す様子を楽しむ ためです。
The 2nd is for enjoying signs that become anime, and it moves and talks, when original comics are already read and the contents are known.

私以外の日本人の中にも、同じ考えを持つ人はいるでしょう。
Probably, there are those who have the same idea also in the other Japanese.

ですが、基本的に皆それほど深い考えを持ってアニメ鑑賞に臨んではいないと思います。
But,I think that anime appreciation is not fundamentally faced all with so deep an idea.

大抵の人々は絵やあらすじ(概要)、または出演している声優などから興味を持ち、アニメを見るのだと思いま す。
Most people get interested from a picture, an outline or the voice actor that is appearing, etc., and think that they see anime.

日本人にとってアニメや漫画は既に文化として根付いています。
Anime and manga have already rooted as culture for the Japanese.

よって、私たちはその存在や、漫画を読むこと、アニメを見ることに対して疑問を抱く事はないの です。
Therefore, we do not have a question to the existence, reading manga, and seeing anime.

アドバイスありがとうございます。
Thank you for the advice.

是非、機会があれば挑戦してみたいと思います。
I would like to challenge, if there is an opportunity by all means.

Tags
anime, japan, manga, question