AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-08-15, 06:36   Link #61
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi
Now timing an ep takes 25-30 minutes depending on the program you use.
Or, 4 hours ^^;;
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 09:00   Link #62
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot
Or, 4 hours ^^;;

I do feel for you. To make you feel better, remember, I have another 2-4 hours after timing it of timing edits, depending on my timing.
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 11:12   Link #63
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Heh, 4 hours (I might have it down to 4 hours these days).
Yes, admitidly I could probably rough time in 40-50 minutes if I was pumped full of drugs and IRC was shut down, hahah.
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-15, 11:21   Link #64
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot
Heh, 4 hours (I might have it down to 4 hours these days).
Yes, admitidly I could probably rough time in 40-50 minutes if I was pumped full of drugs and IRC was shut down, hahah.

My timing actually improves after a couple glasses of wine. Almost as if I understood what was being said.

Heibi
Central Anime
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 13:36   Link #65
rman0099
On my nut

General Question

Please bare with this n00b type question. I have been watching fansubbed anime for a few years and only over the past year have been visiting the fansubber homepages (basically relying on kazaa early on). So its been only in this last time that I have come to understand a bit of the actual fansub process. So here is where my questions lie.

1.) What is an editor responsible for? Is it just script editing to make sure the translation flows or is it video editing? Is there a need to to japanese to be an editor?

2.) Is an encoder basically someone who takes the video you have and gives it the desired encoding (divx, xvid, etc)? I've done this before but I'm not sure if fansubbers have a little more to it.

I know these might be dumb questions but you have to sometimes ask dumb questions to learn.
rman0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 13:49   Link #66
Shenlong

This thread may be useful, use the search next time

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...?t=1296&page=1
Shenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 14:06   Link #67
rman0099
On my nut

Thanks for the reply. Infusions guide answered it perfectly. The reason I asked is that I have been wanting to help out a group for the longest time now and these were the 2 areas I felt I could do. Thank is if what I though they were was actually what they did. Thanks agian and I may look up some groups in need of an editor.
Old 2004-08-23, 17:24   Link #68
Elepsis
Lives under a bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman0099
Thanks for the reply. Infusions guide answered it perfectly. The reason I asked is that I have been wanting to help out a group for the longest time now and these were the 2 areas I felt I could do. Thank is if what I though they were was actually what they did. Thanks agian and I may look up some groups in need of an editor.
Far, far too many people think they can edit when they actually can't. This is a major contributor to the number of crappy releases these days.
Elepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 18:19   Link #69
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elepsis
Far, far too many people think they can edit when they actually can't. This is a major contributor to the number of crappy releases these days.
Yeah, I think a good rule of thumb for editors is that you should also be a good writer, WELL versed in English, and a good proofreader (that is, typos and grammatical mistakes pop out at you instantly).
Furthermore, you should know how to reword things without drastically changing its meaning, and for times when you have to do drastic rewording, always consult the translator.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 18:28   Link #70
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Yeah, I think a good rule of thumb for editors is that you should also be a good writer, WELL versed in English, and a good proofreader (that is, typos and grammatical mistakes pop out at you instantly).
Furthermore, you should know how to reword things without drastically changing its meaning, and for times when you have to do drastic rewording, always consult the translator.
Well said. I would add that if someone is wondering if they have what it takes to be an editor, there is an annoying symptom that good editors share. When you are watching anime do you often think "Darnit that was said entirely wrong!" and then start re-arranging the phrase in your head to make it better? If this distracts you while you are watching anime, then there is a good chance that you could do the job. If you hardly even notice typos, grammatical mistakes and just plain lousy phraseology jump out at your to ruin the experience of watching, then you probably shouldn't try it.

I'd like to mention as an aside that there is a difference between bad grammer that doesn't belong and bad grammer that does belong - because the person talking should speak like that. It is sometimes tough to edit the difference.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 18:55   Link #71
Elepsis
Lives under a bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I'd like to mention as an aside that there is a difference between bad grammer that doesn't belong and bad grammer that does belong - because the person talking should speak like that. It is sometimes tough to edit the difference.
Also as an aside, it seems you shouldn't be editing anything either. (Not to say you _do_ edit anything.)
Elepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-24, 16:48   Link #72
Kawaii_tsunami
Apprentice Timer

Is fansubbing hard and where can i Learn??

This might have been posted 100 times already, but i cant seem to find the posts, so if someone could direct me to them, i would appreciate it.

I want to start fansubbing, cuz i have so much time on my hands with nothing to do. (yes i have no life)

If someone could tell me a link to a QC or encoding guide, i'd appreciate it. thx!

im sorry for posting this, but i really wish to help and start fansubbing. please dont be angry with me..im a newbie to all this.
Kawaii_tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-24, 18:45   Link #73
CompShrink
getting in comps' heads

Send a message via AIM to CompShrink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii_tsunami
This might have been posted 100 times already, but i cant seem to find the posts, so if someone could direct me to them, i would appreciate it.

I want to start fansubbing, cuz i have so much time on my hands with nothing to do. (yes i have no life)

If someone could tell me a link to a QC or encoding guide, i'd appreciate it. thx!

im sorry for posting this, but i really wish to help and start fansubbing. please dont be angry with me..im a newbie to all this.
One of the best ways to learn to encode is to go to avisynth.org and download that, fool around with it, virtualdub, and either Xvid or Divx. Get a LOT of filters, get some raws, not reencoding fansubs, but actual raws from places like leet-raws, winny (which is a japanese p2p), or searching on IRC. Raws have different encoding needs than the already filtered fansub encodes, usually.

And personally I think a good QCer should grow from someone who knows editing, encoding, typesetting, and at least a little Japanese. The Japanese is not absolutely necessary, but the rest is prettymuch a must to dot he job properly.

Don't just read about them either, try them, and show your work to others who are more experenced to have them comment on them, or if you can't find that, at leats someone who is picky about video quality and english and see what they say.

In other words, guides don't really teach well, expereince does. Create your own experience so you can learn from it. Unless you can magically find a mentor, a guide simply won't cut it. A mentor to guide your experimenting would be best, but it's unlikely.
CompShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-25, 16:56   Link #74
rman0099
On my nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Well said. I would add that if someone is wondering if they have what it takes to be an editor, there is an annoying symptom that good editors share. When you are watching anime do you often think "Darnit that was said entirely wrong!" and then start re-arranging the phrase in your head to make it better? If this distracts you while you are watching anime, then there is a good chance that you could do the job. If you hardly even notice typos, grammatical mistakes and just plain lousy phraseology jump out at your to ruin the experience of watching, then you probably shouldn't try it.
Actually that happens to me all of the time and its one of the reasons why I would like to get into editing. Funny story...I actually bought a book a couple months ago and got so mad at the mistakes with grammar and sentence structure that I wrote the publisher a letter. I just can't take excessive errors

Last edited by rman0099; 2004-08-25 at 17:10.