AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-09-03, 10:32   Link #221
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
What would you need combat rifle for? Pistol with laser and silencer makes it best weapon in game. Headshot everyone with one shot and move onto next area. On trickier parts I rely to Tranquilizer Rifle. The stun gun is kinda useless because apparently the enemies can hear it better than the rifle, and if you're close enough to use stun gun, might as well use pistol or attack them with Q.

I carry Tranq. Rifle, Pistol, Silenced Sniper with me, and Revolver with explosive rounds which is the best weapon against those heavy soldiers with the Heavy Rifle, since headshot doesn't kill them with helmet they will spot you anyway unless you can get behind them. The explosions from the revolver will keep them put unable to do anything.

Boss battles for one, and for the early game where I find myself in situations where I don't have the luxury to line up head shots, plus it never hurts to bring an Assault Rifle to any fight. I've only really started abusing headshots once I got my stealth (which was in Montreal), thats when my rifle usage starts to decline... The only non boss battle that I fought with the rifle was the down chopper mission, and that thing eats up bullet fast.

The Stun gun became useless to me in the middle game but for different reasons, I can't seem to hit anyone with any level of certainty from cover -_- But I still use it in situations where there's 2-3 guys and I have only 1 bar. Or you know, any situations where 1 bar is worth more than 1 stun dart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Boss battles, mostly. Pistol ammo becomes as rare as diamonds late game too, so having an upgraded rifle is nice for late-game battles.
Really? Pistol rounds seem to be the most abundant no matter where I go By end game I was lugging around 250 rounds of 10mm

The down side I find is that I didn't leave alot of space to experiment with the late game energy weapons, so in the end I never used most of them...

I'm seriously considering running a second time with only the Magnum and double-barrel shotgun... Just for kicks (No, I didn't watch Cowboys & Aliens one too many times)
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-03, 12:59   Link #222
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Tranq & stun gun are useless if you kill people. Those weapons are for Pacifist route.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-03, 13:13   Link #223
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Mostly nonlethal in my first playthrough but kept a almost fully upgraded 10mm pistol as well as some ammo just in case - quite easily killed Namir with it (probably not as easy as 2 typhoon charges )

Finally finished the game, pretty completionistic at that, powergamed through mass hacking, very few augment. upgrades left, 90+ stop worms and nuke viruses each left as well as way too much ammo and energy nutrients left in my inventory.

Overall, my best gaming experience this year and one in a long time.

... this is by all means GOTY material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Tranq & stun gun are useless if you kill people. Those weapons are for Pacifist route.
Afaik they're also more quiet than silencer-upgraded projectile weapons.

Last edited by Waven; 2011-09-03 at 13:29.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-03, 15:52   Link #224
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Not necessarily. If you didn't preorder the game, you get access to silencer sniper rifle only later, and the pistol doesn't shoot as far as tranq rifle does. Also as mentioned above, at least the rifle is much more quiet than silenced sniper rifle. Also in certain situations I found it more useful that when I used tranq. rifle, the effect would kick in with delay. This was useful when there was at least two guys patrolling and I could not shoot when I wanted the guy to faint because the other one would have seen me, but when I shot a bit earlier when it was still possible, he'd still faint on the spot I want him to faint at. Since I'm a killer, I made sure to run to each downed guy and end their dreams with a silenced pistol later on though, after the area had been cleared out .
Old 2011-09-03, 16:14   Link #225
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The difference between the tranq/stun weapons and silenced weapons aren't so much in the noise they make, but more in the noise their victim makes. You can shoot a silenced weapon in a guard filled room until you run out of bullets and nobody will notice, but shoot one of the guards through the head and his gurgles will instantly attract the attention of anyone within ten meters.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-03, 16:55   Link #226
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Well there's no achievement for being a mass murdering psychopath, I figure one should still take at least one non-lethal weapon for the sidequests that gives bonus for bring in people alive...

P.S - One more question, does the general upgrades like does anything significant? Ammo capacity is obvious but what about Damage, Reload, Rate of Fire?

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-09-03 at 19:05.
Old 2011-09-03, 19:44   Link #227
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Even managed the foxiest of hounds achievement for not setting any alarms off =D however I didn't get the pacifist achievement even though I didn't kill anyone throughout the entire game (bar the bosses) which is a bit of a disappointment. =/
I know the feeling. If you try for the achievement again, double check your bodies. Some seem to like to die to spite you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen
P.S - One more question, does the general upgrades like does anything significant? Ammo capacity is obvious but what about Damage, Reload, Rate of Fire?
Those help quite a bit if you have a weapon you like to use a lot. Ammo capacity is especially great for low capacity weapons like the sniper rifle and revolver. You can think of damage as letting you save ammo, especially for heavy enemies.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-03, 20:02   Link #228
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post

Those help quite a bit if you have a weapon you like to use a lot. Ammo capacity is especially great for low capacity weapons like the sniper rifle and revolver. You can think of damage as letting you save ammo, especially for heavy enemies.

The reason I asked was because I don't notice any improvements for my rifle and pistol damage and ROF despite dumping all my upgrades into them, and even after awhile reload speed doesn't seem to improve at all...
Old 2011-09-03, 23:22   Link #229
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Click on the pistol and see examine, there are bars for damage and stuff. If the bars are full, and you use damage upgrade, then it obviously won't do anything. But since pistol is used for headshots, you don't need damage anyway. I used my dmg upgrades to Shotgun, which now, is quite damn deadly on close range.
Old 2011-09-04, 00:00   Link #230
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Well there's no achievement for being a mass murdering psychopath, I figure one should still take at least one non-lethal weapon for the sidequests that gives bonus for bring in people alive...

Yeah that's my beef with this game.

They talk about choices yet punish you if you choose to go a more lethal route. They reward you more if you go the stealth/ghost type but really that's not freedom of choice.

IMO they should've made it all neutral and only reward exp for completing missions.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 03:27   Link #231
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post

They talk about choices yet punish you if you choose to go a more lethal route. They reward you more if you go the stealth/ghost type but really that's not freedom of choice.

IMO they should've made it all neutral and only reward exp for completing missions.

My guess is they're worried that if they made it even- people would go for the more direct route rather than to try to find an alternate route to tackle the situation.

They made such a pretty game, they wouldn't want people to skip too many of the little tricks they have in stored.

Personally I think they got it the other way around- Most people (in forums) I've seen always want to pick the stealth route rather than the direct approach, and given how dangerous even a few bullets are in the game the direct approach is definitely more dangerous, and therefore they should encourage more people to risk it
Old 2011-09-04, 03:43   Link #232
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

S'pose I might as well ask. I read that this game is an "action RPG" so I'm a little intrigued in it, but I've never been a huge fan if WRPG's so I'm also kind of wary about it.

The best way I can ask is....if I didn't enjoy the Fallout series would I still like this game?
Old 2011-09-04, 03:45   Link #233
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
S'pose I might as well ask. I read that this game is an "action RPG" so I'm a little intrigued in it, but I've never been a huge fan if WPRG's so I'm kind of wary about it.

The best way I can ask is....if I didn't like the Fallout series would I still like this game?

Then I guess the next question to ask is, exactly which part of Fallout did you not like? Was it the FPS action or the RPG element?
Old 2011-09-04, 03:54   Link #234
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Then I guess the next question to ask is, exactly which part of Fallout did you not like? Was it the FPS action or the RPG element?
RPG elements. I'm not a big fan of working with stats, skills, customization and such. Makes the game frustratingly hard for me.

I'd prefer something a little more like BioShock where RPG elements are present but not prevalent and were simple to work with.

RPG games with easier difficulty settings CAN affect my opinion though.
Old 2011-09-04, 04:25   Link #235
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Well , Deus ex RPG elements are little compared to Fallout. You just got an upgrade Tree and inventory.

I kinda think that Full Pistol upgrade is the best weapon to do HS and killing in a row. I don't really like Shotgun cuz you have to be close & the time that you shoot 2-3 times , you are already low hp or dead. I keep Assault rifle for the moment when i don't have the time to do HS. And the rocket for fun.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 05:21   Link #236
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post

I can understand why they made the effort to reward stealth play. It takes a crapload of time, after all, and should be rewarded to prevent the opposite argument (the "why should I go stealth of guns blazing rewards me just as well and is quicker?" argument).

The problem in my eyes is that they rewarded stealth too well. Ghost and Smooth Operator experience bonus already make for a whopping 700 XP bonus for an objective, but non-lethal takedowns also get an additional 20 XP per kill, effectively tripling your XP reward for shooting people and giving a solid bonus for takedowns. If you get double takedown, you get a ridiculous 125 XP per non-lethal double takedown. And that's not even beginning to talk about all the bonuses you get for hacking.

Then again, people with full-stealth builds tend to have a lot more trouble in boss battles. But that's only a tiny part out of the entire game.
Old 2011-09-04, 05:52   Link #237
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
RPG elements. I'm not a big fan of working with stats, skills, customization and such. Makes the game frustratingly hard for me.

I'd prefer something a little more like BioShock where RPG elements are present but not prevalent and were simple to work with.

RPG games with easier difficulty settings CAN affect my opinion though.
Ahh, then in that case you'll have nothing to worry about, like what Sho said there's only two things that you need to custom, your inventory/equipment and your Augmentation (aka Skills and Abilities).

The inventory follows the Diablo or Residental Evil 4 system where different items take up different space. Depending on your play style you would want to take certain items over others. For example, I'm going for a close-quarter-Splinter-Cell-Conviction-Stealth-neutralization style, which means I'm only bring an assault rifle and a pistol as hardware because any enemy that requires a sniper scope is probably too far to see me, and if I find myself in need of a rocket launcher then something must have went wrong

The second set of customizing is the skills or Augmentation; most of these are passive so you could just pick them up and go about your usual business and only four are active skills. As a general rule for choosing skills in this game, I find that the most valuable ones are the Augmentations that opens up new routes for you to travel to. There's no need to worry about not getting a single skill because the game allows multiple approach to the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post

Then again, people with full-stealth builds tend to have a lot more trouble in boss battles. But that's only a tiny part out of the entire game.

But if you think about it, there's not really alot of 'combat' augmentations in the first place Combat is mostly base on what kind of heat you're packing

At least, that's my experience.
Old 2011-09-04, 06:09   Link #238
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Alright cool, I s'pose I should try giving this one a shot then. I'll cross my fingers for no hidden complexity.

Would you say this game is better to play on a PC rather than a console though? Cause I'm more of a console gamer. But if the PC version is significantly superior I'll consider otherwise.
Old 2011-09-04, 06:48   Link #239
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Alright cool, I s'pose I should try giving this one a shot then. I'll cross my fingers for no hidden complexity.

Would you say this game is better to play on a PC rather than a console though? Cause I'm more of a console gamer. But if the PC version is significantly superior I'll consider otherwise.
I've played it on the PS3 and have no complains, I don't really think there's any significant difference, at least not as drastic as the one with Dragon Age.
Old 2011-09-04, 07:48   Link #240
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

The difference is mostly "do you prefer shooting with mouse and keyboard or with a controller?" and Inventory management (which you can set to auto-manage anyway). for the rest of the gameplay, the difference doesn't really matter.

Quote:
But if you think about it, there's not really alot of 'combat' augmentations in the first place Combat is mostly base on what kind of heat you're packing

At least, that's my experience.
Recoil reducers, anti-EMP and flashbang and damage reducing augs are the main combat augs that spring to mind.