AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-03, 12:21   Link #1
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Maria-sama niwa Naisho

Got my hands to the collector's edition "Maria-sama ga Miteru" DVD Vol. 1 from Ishimaru Denki today...and I must say the special "Maria-sama niwa Naisho" special short is so cute! SD characters moe~...

Poor Ueda Kana-san (seiyuu for Fukuzawa Yumi). Yes, "rosa chinensis en bouton" is a tongue twister...And I am always impressed by Ikezawa Haruna (seiyuu for Shimadu Yoshino's) ability to speak French fluently*.

*Ikezawa Haruna is a daughter of a famous Japanese novelist, and she herself was born in Athens, Greece. While she is a seiyuu, she is also well-known in Japan as a top-student in various foreign language learning shows on NHK.
Old 2004-04-03, 15:38   Link #2
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Got my hands to the collector's edition "Maria-sama ga Miteru" DVD Vol. 1 from Ishimaru Denki today...and I must say the special "Maria-sama niwa Naisho" special short is so cute! SD characters moe~...

Poor Ueda Kana-san (seiyuu for Fukuzawa Yumi). Yes, "rosa chinensis en bouton" is a tongue twister...And I am always impressed by Ikezawa Haruna (seiyuu for Shimadu Yoshino's) ability to speak French fluently*.

*Ikezawa Haruna is a daughter of a famous Japanese novelist, and she herself was born in Athens, Greece. While she is a seiyuu, she is also well-known in Japan as a top-student in various foreign language learning shows on NHK.
Maria-sama's Secret? I'm thinking about getting into this series via fansub... of course purchase will be an option when and if it gets released States-side

Is the "Special" kind of like the "Side Episode" in D.C. ? I've been enjoying that series a whole lot
Old 2004-04-03, 18:12   Link #3
laurore31

in the first press (present of CdJapan when i bought the "pastel pure" album) there is an interview that we translated (not online yet). Oyuki Konno seems to know well Haruna-san because she said Haruna-san likes "jedi-geki". lol maybe they know each others because her father (as you tell) was a novelist and Oyuki Konno is the same ;-)

She told her that she was impressed by her french language ;-) I don't know Haruna-san was from Greece.

what is Ishimaru Denki ? shop ?

the limited edition that contains 3 episodes is not on sale now, ne ?
the collector vol. 1 exist ? and this dvd contains only 1 episode ?
Old 2004-04-03, 20:31   Link #4
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

The limited edition one is the one with the LP-size jacket that has three episodes in it. That goes on sale May 13th with a astonishing price of over 9000 yen...

The one that I bought was the one with one episode at 2100 yen that went on sale on Friday.

Ishimaru Denki is a shop in Akihabara.
Old 2004-04-03, 21:44   Link #5
guess

Since someone has brought up the DVD topic, this might be the right place to ask this question. I was going to buy R2 DVD of this series but then I thought: what’s the point of buying R2 DVD when I can’t play it? I really want to own this DVD, with or without bonus, and so far, only R2 is available. The chance of this series being licensed in US is just slim. Maybe people here already had this concern before, what’s your opinion?
Old 2004-04-03, 22:01   Link #6
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
Since someone has brought up the DVD topic, this might be the right place to ask this question. I was going to buy R2 DVD of this series but then I thought: what’s the point of buying R2 DVD when I can’t play it? I really want to own this DVD, with or without bonus, and so far, only R2 is available. The chance of this series being licensed in US is just slim. Maybe people here already had this concern before, what’s your opinion?
Well, this series is fairly popular and one of the sponsors for this anime is Geneon...perhaps you might see the daylight as it may get picked up by Geneon USA? I would wait for it to be released in your country if I were you though - our DVDs are fairly expensive in your standards, and by adding in shipping costs you'll end up spending close to 3-4000 yen for one DVD for Volume 1...and keep in mind it only has one episode in this volume.

As for DVDs - you have two options:

A. region free DVD player
B. buy another DVD-ROM for your computer and set that one for region 2
Old 2004-04-03, 22:16   Link #7
pkgirl163

Send a message via AIM to pkgirl163 Send a message via MSN to pkgirl163
Just saw this today... SO CUTE!!
My only complaint was that it wasn't longer...
I wonder if they will make any other specials like this? Maybe they'll do another for the first DVD of the second season?
Old 2004-04-03, 22:29   Link #8
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Well, this series is fairly popular and one of the sponsors for this anime is Geneon...perhaps you might see the daylight as it may get picked up by Geneon USA? I would wait for it to be released in your country if I were you though - our DVDs are fairly expensive in your standards, and by adding in shipping costs you'll end up spending close to 3-4000 yen for one DVD for Volume 1...and keep in mind it only has one episode in this volume.

There's a Option C

If you are a hard-core Super-Robot Wars, anti-localization of Gundam, or just want the many anime-based PS2 games--buy a Japanese PS2, I recommend the latest model, the 50000s

And of course, with the many games available to you, you get to watch R-2 DVDs
Old 2004-04-03, 22:47   Link #9
guess

Quote:

I doubt that it is ever going to be licensed because well, series like this just doesn’t sell here. Look at how miserable Revolutionary girl Utena’s sale in US and I heard that it was fairly popular in Japan. So far, the fan base for this series here seems to be small too.

3000 Yen = ~29 USD for one ep?

All right, I will consider it (= highly unlikely).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melazoma
There's a Option C

If you are a hard-core Super-Robot Wars, anti-localization of Gundam, or just want the many anime-based PS2 games--buy a Japanese PS2, I recommend the latest model, the 50000s

And of course, with the many games available to you, you get to watch R-2 DVDs

I am flat broke.

Thank you, people.
Old 2004-04-04, 08:38   Link #10
laurore31

Quote:
I doubt that it is ever going to be licensed because well, series like this just doesn’t sell here. Look at how miserable Revolutionary girl Utena’s sale in US and I heard that it was fairly popular in Japan. So far, the fan base for this series here seems to be small too.
In France too. Utena was edited by KAZE editor (www.kaze.fr) , but the sales aren't as well as the editor had envisaged it. Fortunately, KAZE didn't stop here ;-) they publish now "Onii-sama" and we hope that they buy the "Maria-sama ga miteru" licence. but certainly, they won't do it immediately. In France, several series are on sale two or three years after the Japanese diffusion. :-(

Actually, I really hope Geneon US buy the licence :-( but if you doubt....

How can we sure that Geneon US won't buy it ? maybe we should send an e-mail to them ?
Old 2004-04-04, 12:11   Link #11
atua

It'd be nice if Geneon US picked it up, but I agree with others in thinking the possibility a remote one. The fanbase for a series like this would be pretty small; the kind of anime that's popular here tend to be the Yugioh & Dragonball Z types. The US market doesn't have the built in fandom from the novel series that Japan has either.
Old 2004-04-04, 12:19   Link #12
MercuryKnight

Send a message via MSN to MercuryKnight
I'd really like to see it get picked up as well. I don't speak Japanese so that version really doesn't do me much good. This has been a great series so far and I'd like to get my own copy some day
P.S. In Canada the price for DVD's would run about 40 dollars Canadian. Each DVD having 3 to 5 episodes depending on the distributor.

NEWS FLASH HQA just released the Maria-sama niwa Naisho special.

Last edited by MercuryKnight; 2004-04-04 at 13:33.
Old 2004-04-04, 14:20   Link #13
xris
Just call me Ojisan

A fansub of Maria-sama niwa Naisho has been released today by HQA.

It's only 90 seconds long (so very quick to download at 12Kb). But so cute.

Oh, I see MercuryKnight has already commented on this
Old 2004-04-04, 14:24   Link #14
Renato_kun

Send a message via ICQ to Renato_kun Send a message via MSN to Renato_kun
If marimite is going to be licensed, I hope it happens only after the serie is finished.....it's not selfshiness...here, the imported products are veeery expensive....(A U$25 DVD costs here almost U$50, because import and overseas taxes....)

Only the freak shows that make sucess here are pokemon, digimon, medabots, yugioh, dragonball(ok, I like DB...)....these things....
Animes here are still seen like children cartoons....

(I noticed we are very off topic......talking about licensing and anime sales....)
---------------------------------
Only a single word for Maria-sama niwa Naisho: KAWAII!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Renato_kun; 2004-04-04 at 14:37.
Old 2004-04-04, 15:32   Link #15
LoveOfAnime
~Lost in the Moonlight~

Send a message via MSN to LoveOfAnime Send a message via Yahoo to LoveOfAnime
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurore31
In France too. Utena was edited by KAZE editor (www.kaze.fr) , but the sales aren't as well as the editor had envisaged it. Fortunately, KAZE didn't stop here ;-) they publish now "Onii-sama" and we hope that they buy the "Maria-sama ga miteru" licence. but certainly, they won't do it immediately. In France, several series are on sale two or three years after the Japanese diffusion. :-(

Actually, I really hope Geneon US buy the licence :-( but if you doubt....

How can we sure that Geneon US won't buy it ? maybe we should send an e-mail to them ?

I was thinking the same thing! Maybe letting them know there is a fan base that would really be interested in seeing this maybe they would try to get it? Does anyone know if these companies really listen to the fans?
Old 2004-04-04, 16:21   Link #16
FlyByNite

Aww, that special was so cute! Yoshino is such a scene-hog
Old 2004-04-04, 17:01   Link #17
lordwu

Quote:

3000 Yen = ~29 USD for one ep?
Collector's Edition vol.1 is 8800 yen for 3 episodes. However, if you preorder at Amazon you can get 20% off and that pays for the shipping. For me, since I buy more than one R2 series, I can leverage the initial shipping cost so that it costs a bit less for each DVD.

Also, you can get a region-free DVD player for less than $90. Toshiba's SD-4900 has a easy remote region hack to use and the DVD player itself is pretty good too. You get much better picture quality with this player than PS2.
Old 2004-04-04, 17:33   Link #18
Honkie_McGee

Man, this thread has taken a depressing turn. Cheer up people!

I've always believed that the Geneon in the list of sponsors for Mari-mite was a good indication that this show make it to US shores sooner of later. (Probably later now, I think they'd probably wait until the end of the 2nd season, and then subtitle/dub the entire series at once.) For those North American readers out there, take a trip to your local Best Buy or Suncoast Video. Seems like there's a little something for all anime tastes out there now, not just Yu-Gi-Oh and DBZ.

When you're done there head over to Borders or Barnes & Noble. The fastest growing section in the books stores lately has been the manga graphic novel section. I haven't even heard of most of the new titles being licensed and released lately, especially the new titles from China and South Korea. And some of these companies are even starting to translate novelizations of some anime series. So there may even be a chance for the Mari-mite novels to be translated into English (however slight that possibility might be).

I guess what I'm trying to say is, there are reasons out there to be optimistic. I believe the American anime market is growing more and more friendly to releases of niche anime titles. Though, sending out a few friendly emails to anime and manga distributors in the States expressing your love for this series probably wouldn't hurt.

Now, as for Maria-sama niwa Naisho... everyone was so cute, I wanted to hug them all.
Spoiler:
Old 2004-04-05, 06:05   Link #19
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

Quote:
Got my hands to the collector's edition "Maria-sama ga Miteru" DVD Vol. 1 from Ishimaru Denki today.
Hi kj, I am a bit confused. Correct me if I am wrong, the collector edition which contains 3 first episodes will only be released next month. The 1st volume DVD (2000 yen) is supposed to be a standard edition.

Another thing that I haven't fully understand yet is the 2nd volume collector edition DVD. Does it contain episode 4 & 5? What are the bonuses, considering it costs about 7700 yen (vs 5500 yen)? Will they include the 2nd part of Maria-sama Niwa Naisho?
Old 2004-04-05, 12:29   Link #20
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessHeart
Hi kj, I am a bit confused. Correct me if I am wrong, the collector edition which contains 3 first episodes will only be released next month. The 1st volume DVD (2000 yen) is supposed to be a standard edition.

Another thing that I haven't fully understand yet is the 2nd volume collector edition DVD. Does it contain episode 4 & 5? What are the bonuses, considering it costs about 7700 yen (vs 5500 yen)? Will they include the 2nd part of Maria-sama Niwa Naisho?
My mistake...the one that I quoted as the "collector's edition" is actually the first-press only limited edition that has one episode. This contains the Maria-sama niwa Naisho special and the special book-case done by Hibiki Reine. I get these things confused since I buy DVDs that are first-press releases anyway which become a collector's item...

"Standard edition" DVDs will be released once all the first-press are gone, and they do not have the specials included into the first press.

You know what I believe they might release this through? If this is a second season stuff, then they might spread out the discs into 9 DVDs with each DVD with Hibiki Reine's art of each rose character (Yumi, Sachiko, Youko / Yoshino, Rei, Eriko / Noriko, Shimako, Sei). Then again, who knows if Touko or Kanako might become Yumi's soeur?
Closed Thread