AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-08, 23:20   Link #41
robotechtehbest

Macross Movie not so good, Robotech SC best animation than Macross Movie. But Robotech more modern so ok, more technology best quality, Macross can not win.
robotechtehbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-09, 04:20   Link #42
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Don't feed the troll, people - Part II.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-09, 04:29   Link #43
magnuskn

Hey, I thought Robotech was the US version, so why is said troll speaking in sentence fragments? Wouldn't you think an American would speak better English than our international community here?
Old 2010-04-07, 01:16   Link #44
A l l e l u j a h
Ultimate Cyber Newtype

Send a message via Yahoo to A l l e l u j a h
I never really liked Macross: Do you remember love, I still prefer the original SDF Macross. However, that robotech crap ruined macross in the US, well so much for a hollywood version of macross.
A l l e l u j a h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 20:53   Link #45
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Well, finally got around to watching this. Wish I did it sooner, I've forgotten a lot about the TV series, lol.

I found a lot of continuity slip ups though. When Minmay and Hikaru are trapped, they introduce each other as if they were strangers and then when they confess, it's like they've known each other for longer than that, like in the TV series. Also, wouldn't they notice a giant door opening and stop kissing? I know it was for the story and all, but come on now.

Anyway, I prefer the TV series. But I heard this was taken as canon over the TV series, is that correct?
Old 2010-10-03, 21:44   Link #46
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Anyway, I prefer the TV series. But I heard this was taken as canon over the TV series, is that correct?
No. The official "Word of God" is that the TV series is canon, and DYRL is an historical movie that debuted within the Macross universe. But it doesn't take much examination to realize that that's an inadequate explanation, since 1) if DYRL is an historical movie based on real events, how come they get so much WRONG? and 2) why do designs in further Macross stories take cues from DYRL, with a little bit of TV continuity thrown in (Milia's Valk in M7, some of the Zentradi in Frontier episode 12).

Some people have suggested "DYRL designs, TV story" as an alternative, but this is also inadequate.

My best suggestion is simply not to worry about it. It's not important to the creators, and it doesn't have to be important to you.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 02:06   Link #47
user112168
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
No. The official "Word of God" is that the TV series is canon, and DYRL is an historical movie that debuted within the Macross universe. But it doesn't take much examination to realize that that's an inadequate explanation, since 1) if DYRL is an historical movie based on real events, how come they get so much WRONG? and 2) why do designs in further Macross stories take cues from DYRL, with a little bit of TV continuity thrown in (Milia's Valk in M7, some of the Zentradi in Frontier episode 12).

Some people have suggested "DYRL designs, TV story" as an alternative, but this is also inadequate.

My best suggestion is simply not to worry about it. It's not important to the creators, and it doesn't have to be important to you.
Now there's the new manga, " Macross: The First" yet another retelling (produced in same year it's set which is good for contemporary look/technology). Maybe they plan to remake the original anime for 30th Anniversary? that'd be good.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...across-ace-mag
user112168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 08:03   Link #48
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelyanoob View Post
Now there's the new manga, " Macross: The First" yet another retelling (produced in same year it's set which is good for contemporary look/technology).
Oh, I know all about that. And believe me, it's a bitch to translate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelyanoob View Post
Maybe they plan to remake the original anime for 30th Anniversary? that'd be good.
Why on earth would they do that?
Old 2010-10-04, 08:56   Link #49
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:

Hmm...I see. It makes me think they made DYRL for the extra income, like so many movies of it's kind.

Quote:
Why on earth would they do that?
To fix the inconsistencies? hah. They shouldn't re do it though. It'll lose some of it's charm and all.

Also, forgive me but my memory is failing...Hikaru chose Misa in the TV series as well, right?
Old 2010-10-04, 08:59   Link #50
magnuskn

Quote:
Also, forgive me but my memory is failing...Hikaru chose Misa in the TV series as well, right?
Yep. Another argument against a re-make. With the way anime shows are going nowadays, he'd probably end up in a polygamic triangle like Justavisitor is always going on about.
Old 2010-10-04, 09:04   Link #51
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Hmm...I see. It makes me think they made DYRL for the extra income, like so many movies of it's kind.
Sure, that's a reason. But it's also a stunningly beautiful and well-animated movie in its own right. To condemn it as wholly mercenary is to ignore all of the serious effort and love that went into making it.
Old 2010-10-04, 09:08   Link #52
magnuskn

Also, it redeemed Minmay somewhat in the eyes of the audience.
Old 2010-10-04, 09:10   Link #53
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Also, it redeemed Minmay somewhat in the eyes of the audience.
Speak for yourself, man. Minmay was ALWAYS awesome.

Except in Robotech; she sucked there. In a 2001 interview, Carl Macek came out and SAID that he deliberately made her annoying.
Old 2010-10-04, 09:12   Link #54
justavisitor

Quote:
Yep. Another argument against a re-make. With the way anime shows are going nowadays, he'd probably end up in a polygamic triangle like Justavisitor is always going on about.
nah, considering the macross time line, I would like the remake (if any) will make Hikaru choose Minmay instead (make it like Amagami will be fun )
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 09:12   Link #55
magnuskn

Quote:
Speak for yourself, man. Minmay was ALWAYS awesome.

Except in Robotech; she sucked there. In a 2001 interview, Carl Macek came out and SAID that he deliberately made her annoying.
Well, she is more bearable in Macross than in Robotech. And downright nice and someone one does pity in DYRL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
nah, consider the time line of the macross, I would like the remake (if any) will make Hikaru choose Minmay instead
Which would destroy the story.
Old 2010-10-04, 09:18   Link #56
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Well, she is more bearable in Macross than in Robotech. And downright nice and someone one does pity in DYRL.
Pretty much (except for that whole, "I'll let everyone die rather than sing that song that THAT WOMAN found!" bit. That was a spectacularly dumb moment for Minmay).

Quote:
Which would destroy the story.
Yep.
Old 2010-10-04, 09:22   Link #57
magnuskn

Quote:
Pretty much (except for that whole, "I'll let everyone die rather than sing that song that THAT WOMAN found!" bit. That was a spectacularly dumb moment for Minmay).
Well, there had to be a reason why Hikaru would choose Misa.
Old 2010-10-04, 09:34   Link #58
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Well, there had to be a reason why Hikaru would choose Misa.
You mean APART from the fact that Misa "put out" when they were on earth...?
Old 2010-10-04, 09:36   Link #59
magnuskn

Heh, that, too. One would hope Hikaru is a bit deeper than that.

<looks for someone to storm in and dispute that Misa and Hikaru did it in DYRL>
Old 2010-10-04, 09:37   Link #60
justavisitor

Misa didn't have the space-aids lol so of course they did it in DYRL
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote