AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-22, 16:16   Link #1
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

The Tragedy of Mimi...*spoilers included!*

UGH.

When Mimi died like that I almost cried. >>

I don't understand why it was Mimi that had to die...for me, she didn't deserve that at all. Was the whole entire thing just geared to enhance Mashiro's character development in ending results of that or what? If so, talk about a cruel way to use a character...DX

Any theories guys?
Old 2007-10-22, 17:27   Link #2
aboutblue

Yeah, it's always sad when a character you like kicks the bucket. But it can make the story so much more powerful if done the right way.

In terms of character development it showed just how far Mashiro had come from being a spoiled brat. As a plot device it was a good way for Mashiro to quickly prove to her people that she really had changed. Mashiro forgives Mimi and the others for trying to kill Aoi and in turn she asks them to forgive her for neglecting them. Mimi's death makes it all more emotional, urgent and interesting. I'm just glad Otome didn't pull a reset or something at the end.

I was most affected by Aoi's death (or almost death, I definitely thought she was dead for a while). Her self-sacrificing dive off the cliff was pretty cool, that was sadder to me than either Mimi or Erstin's death.
Old 2007-10-23, 05:37   Link #3
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutblue View Post
Yeah, it's always sad when a character you like kicks the bucket. But it can make the story so much more powerful if done the right way.

In terms of character development it showed just how far Mashiro had come from being a spoiled brat. As a plot device it was a good way for Mashiro to quickly prove to her people that she really had changed. Mashiro forgives Mimi and the others for trying to kill Aoi and in turn she asks them to forgive her for neglecting them. Mimi's death makes it all more emotional, urgent and interesting. I'm just glad Otome didn't pull a reset or something at the end.

(SNIP)
Don’t forget Mimi offered Mashiro basic food, water and company/friendship, while the other refugees largely ignored Her. This relationship would complicate the dynamics between Mashiro and Mimi.
Old 2007-10-23, 05:41   Link #4
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazakura View Post
UGH.

When Mimi died like that I almost cried. >>

I don't understand why it was Mimi that had to die...for me, she didn't deserve that at all. Was the whole entire thing just geared to enhance Mashiro's character development in ending results of that or what? If so, talk about a cruel way to use a character...DX

Any theories guys?
Mimi is only a child (about same age as Alyssa Searrs) and therefore she is relativity fragile compared to normal adults.
Old 2007-10-23, 09:15   Link #5
AthenAltena
Sister of the Forks

It was most certainly a plot device, though it definitely worked in Mashiro's favor by forcing her to grow up. The fact that Mimi stayed dead emphasized this. I think it also marks when the gloves come off and it gets serious. It's one of the oldest ones in the book.
Old 2007-10-23, 11:30   Link #6
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Mimi is only a child (about same age as Alyssa Searrs) and therefore she is relativity fragile compared to normal adults.
You're forgetting that a monster was what killed her. Sure, she was already weakened enough as it was but she didn't die of sickness.
Old 2007-10-24, 05:23   Link #7
encia

Quote:
You're forgetting that a monster was what killed her. Sure, she was already weakened enough as it was but she didn't die of sickness.
I didn’t state She was sick i.e. a child’s body is physically weaker than normal adults.
Old 2007-10-26, 21:58   Link #8
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Quote:
I didn’t state She was sick i.e. a child’s body is physically weaker than normal adults.
Yeah, but that did imply that you meant "dying of sickness because of a weaker body."

Even if Mimi's body was weaker to begin with, that doesn't mean she necessarily had to be the one to die. She was killed by a monster, not due to the condition of her body. >>
Old 2007-10-28, 03:41   Link #9
encia

Quote:
Yeah, but that did imply that you meant "dying of sickness because of a weaker body."
"Sickness" was not attribute in my post.

Quote:
Even if Mimi's body was weaker to begin with, that doesn't mean she necessarily had to be the one to die. She was killed by a monster, not due to the condition of her body. >>
I’m aware Mimi was killed by a jabbal.

In Otome EP21 07:02, an adult was thrown before Mimi (07:51)... A tome stone was not made for the adult thrown (in 07:02) by a large jabbal.

Last edited by encia; 2007-10-28 at 03:53.
Old 2007-10-29, 15:44   Link #10
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Quote:
"Sickness" was not attribute in my post.

I’m aware Mimi was killed by a jabbal.

In Otome EP21 07:02, an adult was thrown before Mimi (07:51)... A tome stone was not made for the adult thrown (in 07:02) by a large jabbal.

But I really don't think anyone noticed the adult that got killed by it too, since everyone was already focusing on Mimi, due to the fact that Mashiro and Arika did pay attention to her more instead. But the adult who died...was it even mentioned in the series after Mimi died?
Old 2007-10-30, 04:31   Link #11
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

Jabbal? Is that the canonical name for the monster? And where from?
Old 2007-10-30, 07:09   Link #12
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikon View Post
Jabbal? Is that the canonical name for the monster? And where from?
EP19 0:50...
Old 2007-10-30, 07:15   Link #13
encia

Quote:
But I really don't think anyone noticed the adult that got killed by it too, since everyone was already focusing on Mimi, due to the fact that Mashiro and Arika did pay attention to her more instead. But the adult who died...was it even mentioned in the series after Mimi died?
Was there two tome stones in EP21 ?
Old 2007-11-08, 20:17   Link #14
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Quote:
Was there two tome stones in EP21 ?

I just watched episode 21 again and as I said, there was only one tomb stone mentioned the whole entire time and one shown, and that one was Mimi's.
Old 2007-11-09, 04:33   Link #15
encia

Quote:
I just watched episode 21 again and as I said, there was only one tomb stone mentioned the whole entire time and one shown, and that one was Mimi's.
From EP21 06:57, the speed of the large jabbal is about 2 m/s or about 7.2Km/h.

Refer to any information regarding pedestrian impacts with a car travelling at low speeds. In any car crash/pedestrian impacts, a normal adult (e.g. 20 to 49 years of age) is structurally stronger than a normal child (e.g. 7 to 12 years of age).

Note the same adult who wears a light-brown shirt and faded green pants in 7:01 (thrown forward) and 8:15 (caught by the large jabbal).

Last edited by encia; 2007-11-09 at 04:51.
Closed Thread