AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 88 62.41%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 37 26.24%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 6.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 2.84%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.42%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.71%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-26, 22:58   Link #21
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So it's another episode where the focal point is on shopping for merchandise and plugging stuff as well. Why am I not the least bit surprised. The show truly has run out of unique things to do. The self referencing ceased being clever about 12 episodes ago. Bring back the director from the first four episodes, and hopefully something in the end can be salvaged so this won't be so forgettable.
Old 2007-08-27, 00:09   Link #22
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
So it's another episode where the focal point is on shopping for merchandise and plugging stuff as well. Why am I not the least bit surprised. The show truly has run out of unique things to do. The self referencing ceased being clever about 12 episodes ago. Bring back the director from the first four episodes, and hopefully something in the end can be salvaged so this won't be so forgettable.
Are you sure you are watching the same show as everyone else? There were only five or six self references in the actual show itself. There were even fewer shopping and merchandise plugs.

Spoiler for Self-references:

Spoiler for Shopping:
Old 2007-08-27, 00:45   Link #23
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

You are really desperate and grasping at straws, aren't you?
Old 2007-08-27, 01:05   Link #24
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
You are really desperate and grasping at straws, aren't you?
No not really, I'm pretty much serious. I haven't seen anything remarkable in the series in quite a while. I don't really need to grasp at straws to prove how I feel about something, I just kind of have to feel that way.

@Bayaob: And considering the cumlative effect of all these ads recently, coupled with my low tolerance for this kind of thing at the best of times, that was well over the line.

Anyway when the highlight of an episode is something that technically happens outside of it, you know you haven't enjoyed it that much.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-08-27 at 01:21.
Old 2007-08-27, 01:50   Link #25
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
So it's another episode where the focal point is on shopping for merchandise and plugging stuff as well.
We are definately watching the same episode.
Not.
Old 2007-08-27, 02:09   Link #26
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
We are definately(sic) watching the same episode.
Not.
Sorry, I had to do the sic, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it is spelled definitely, but don't worry about it, a lot of people make that mistake.

More to the point, maybe I missed something without the subtitles, but the focus seemed to be on a shopping trip to Kyoto. Okay fine a school trip, but it kind of felt like it ended up the way most trips in the series do, moreso likely for me than for others.

Now instead of focusing on what I say about the episode, I'd like to hear more about what you feel about the episode, as this is the discussion about the episode, not about how people feel about how I feel about it. Let's keep this to the point from here on out please.

Also to the person who said I wrote a review of the episode and say I shouldn't have, perhaps I should rate this episode, considering I actually have only commented on this episode and not reviewed or rated it. I wasn't planning on it, but the way in which I was approached about this makes me feel it's time I gave a rating to an episode again.

I'm starting to get upset at the way people are confronting me over this. I feel I've been very courteous with people I know are outright attacking me as opposed to my comments on this episode, and I will continue to do so, but I'd appreciate it if people would be more open about the discussion of this episode and accept that not everybody is going to enjoy it as much as they do, or dislike it as much as some do. Thank You.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-08-27 at 03:08.
Old 2007-08-27, 05:40   Link #27
41nano

I'm wondering, now that Shiraishi
Spoiler for lucky channel:
Old 2007-08-27, 06:44   Link #28
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
[cut]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
[cut]
Quote:
[cut]
Quote:
[cut]
Quote:
[cut]
Quote:
[cut]
So far, I've tolerated

But if this goes on, measures will be taken. "Kaioshin-Sama's opinions about Lucky Star 21" is not the subject of discussion of this thread and as such you're all invited to bring it on PMs. If you feel that something is wrong, use the report button and explain your reasons. But please don't turn this place into a subtle battlefield. It's annoying for those who'd only wish to read about the actual episode.

Thanks.
Old 2007-08-27, 08:03   Link #29
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

I am more anxious about the next ep.

Kanata!!!

EDIT:

Btw Iam also a fighting game fan...I noticed this on Minoru

He looks similar Batsu from Rival schools, with that scar on his forehead. Before you say he's Bruce Shiraishi that turns to the HULK he's Batsu Shiraishi in my book.

Last edited by kenjiharima; 2007-08-27 at 08:37. Reason: added a reference
Old 2007-08-27, 09:21   Link #30
darlliu

I think konata is being kinda sweet in this ep, she alone realized kagami had sth on her mind (tsukasa, what kind of a sister are you....)
and misuzu who dyed her hair sitting besides her aunt who also dyed her hair XD
tuskasa being assulted by a pack of deers XD
cant stop laughing~~

Last edited by darlliu; 2007-08-27 at 12:03.
Old 2007-08-27, 09:30   Link #31
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

What happened? Did I miss something?

Anyway, on topic.

First I'll start backwards.

Best. Lucky Channel. Ever. - Shiraishi going ballistic after spending two weeks in the wild and putting up with Akira-sama for over 18 weeks. LOL Amazing Ono managed to stay calm.

To sum things up for Lucky Channel:

- Table: 32,000 yen
- Background panel: 50,000 yen
- Broadcast camera: 375,000 yen
- Seeing Shiraishi going berserk: PRICELESS

And the preview for next episode was another AIR scene. And it's kinda eerie how my prediction became correct when Ono finally gave the fans what they want by ending the preview with "RAMEN SETTO!!!"

Now, on to the episode itself.

- The first 4 minutes was ok, neither attention grabbing nor overly boring.

- Minami-chan doing her "chest grabbing" thing - no matter how many times she does it, she's still moe

- Who on earth installed that spy camera in Tsukasa-chan's room? Come out so I can beat the crap out of him! (It can't be her father? Or maybe it's even Kona-chan??)

- Still, Tsukasa-chan managing to sleep through her alarm clock and her mom waking her up is incredibly adorable.

- Nice cameo by Patty.

- I know how Hiyorin feels, sometimes you get a great idea for a post/thread/letter/story/whatever, whenever you're taking a bath or in your dreams, and then when you get back to your desk to write it out, you can't exactly remember what it was that made you feel inspired.

Part two is basically a field-trip to Kyoto and Nara. These two cities are so gonna be flooded by otaku pilgrims for the next few weeks.

- Not sure what role Nanako-sensei assigned for Shiraishi, but looks like someone in charge of handling the garbage?

- Is it me or does that brown-haired girl sitting next to Nanako-sensei in the coach resemble Misuzu from AIR?

- Poor Tsukasa-chan, getting "gang-banged" by Nara deer for her cookies. (I'm still trying hard not to think too much, as this IS potential comiket doujin fodder. Poor Tsukasa-chan... )

- Miyuki: This is embarrassing, but I can't sleep soundly without my pillow.
- Tsukasa-chan: This is embarrassing, but I can't sleep soundly without my alarm clock.
- Kona-chan: This is embarrassing, but I can't sleep soundly without playing my NDS. ROFLMAO.

- Kona-chan using her latent Newtype (RM) powers to get her "Mega Lucky" coupon from the shrine.

- The school coach left without poor Shiraishi. This certainly puts the meaning of "Wawawa-wasuremono" in a new light.

- KAGAMIN DERE-DERE KAWAII!!! Phew, there I've said it. Man, like Kagamin, I kinda got me hopes up for a while after she received what looked like a love letter. Just this scene alone is worth the admission fee. I felt sorry for her when she looked so devastated at lunch afterwards.

- Poor Nanako-sensei, don't you just hate it when after a hard day's work or school, you come back to find that your internet connection is dead?

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2007-08-27 at 10:55.
Old 2007-08-27, 11:09   Link #32
velocity7

I loved Daisuke's "Ramen Set!"

Also, is Shiraishi a tokusatsu fan or something? I can't count how many times he attempted a henshin in the ED...
Old 2007-08-27, 12:09   Link #33
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Part two is basically a field-trip to Kyoto and Nara. These two cities are so gonna be flooded by otaku pilgrims for the next few weeks.
This probably won't be the first time someone goes to these two cities as part of an anime-related pilgrimage.

As long as someone does the pilgrimage while wearing either a black "Dash Cheese" hoodie or a white "DLG: Daisy Lovers Girls" hoodie (a little nod to another title that had some bits set in Kyoto), I don't care what the L*S fans do.
Old 2007-08-27, 13:11   Link #34
Xiaolang

Did anyone mention at all about Konata pulling a Maetel from Galaxy Express 999?

Reference to old classics FTW!
Old 2007-08-27, 13:14   Link #35
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I figured it out because that's where Negi Springfield took his class in the first Negima! series!
Uhh, no. Many public high schools go to Kyoto on their educational field trips. Why? Because the city provides an educational experience into centuries-old Japanese culture and architecture. Furthermore, the City of Kyoto and the Kyoto City Tourist Association promotes tourism heavily and provides substantial discounts to school field trips (more tourists = more money into local economy).

On the other hand, private high schools with a large ratio of children from affluent households (meaning more "donations" from their families) get to go overseas such as Guam, Saipan, Los Angeles, Rome, etc. etc.

Last edited by kj1980; 2007-08-27 at 17:31.
Old 2007-08-27, 13:38   Link #36
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

One thing I've notice is that this anime is special in that there are so many raw watchers; usually by the time the subs is out almost everyone has already enjoyed the show and the discussion has dried up. I usually wait until the end of the week for my ref list, but I think I will do a new strategy.

The reason I wanted to do these lists is to have people talking; asking question about the references or adding/correcting them. It seemed that when I published a huge list, people tend to not wanting to comment much on it... too much information at once? One of the great thing about L*S is the various references to get you interested parts of Japan you may not have noticed before... and I really want to keep that spirit alive here in this forum.

So here's my new strategy for the list - I'm going to publish a few item each day so that people can comment on them if they wanted to. I am also going to do so over the course of the week so there's always something new to chat about. At the end of the week, I'll combine the posts and repost them to the Cultural Ref list. I hope that'll be okay with everyone.
Old 2007-08-27, 13:54   Link #37
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, what kj1980 says... going to Kyoto is almost a universal field trip for all highschoolers... its like going to your State Capital except you'd stay there a few days. Going to Okinawa is pretty popular as well (especially with their spectacular sea aquarium). Calling those a reference to anything is about like saying, "look, they're using sidewalks!!! They did that in X!"

I try to wait to comment because the raw dialog can be trippy enough that I think many people draw the wrong conclusions by watching them. I've been caught flatfooted 2 or 3 times by a sketch that I thought was one thing and it turned out to be another. Also my bandwidth just kind of limits excessive raw acquisition.

It *looks* like this episode is mostly a fairly classical "trip to Kyoto" livened up by the personalities of these particular girls. I won't decide whether it suffers from "kyoani product contamination" until I see the whole episode.

My decision matrix is pretty much: will someone totally unfamiliar with a blatant insertion just laugh at the overlaying material or will it be a "wtf was that? O.o" -- it is pretty much a done deal that L*S has been trampled to some extent to leverage the 'haruhi' energy stream and I just thank the gods that Azumanga Daioh or Ichigo Masimaro wasn't caught by a similar whirlwind when they were airing. Yes, I think SHnY is the best thing since the introduction of the wheel but then I don't like chocolate in my okonomiyaki either.
Old 2007-08-27, 14:34   Link #38
Alesiopdv
True Believer of Haruhi

Quote:
Is it me or does that brown-haired girl sitting next to Nanako-sensei in the coach resemble Misuzu from AIR?
No idea, but that girl is in the game of Play. Somebody knows who she is?
Old 2007-08-27, 14:34   Link #39
Fat Cat Lim

I really enjoyed this episode, from Tsukasa's unluckiness during the whole school trip to Kyoto, to Konata's thoughtfulness in trying to cheer Kagamin up. As far as I can tell from the raw, there were hardly any self-references to the previous works except during the preview. This episode goes to show that even without any references to Kyoani's previous works, the series can still stand on its own thanks to the strength of the characters.

Would have liked to see what the rest of Yutaka and her classmates were up to during the school trip (I miss Misao's voice - she doesn't have a single line this episode!).

@kenjiharima

Why do you say that Kanata will appear in the next episode? Was there something I missed in the raw?
Old 2007-08-27, 14:58   Link #40
Luminisk

The fourth wall was broken at least 3-4 times in this episode.

Closed Thread