AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-08, 02:12   Link #121
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I actually found this episode more interesting than the last. It picked up where it left off and built on it with both the characters and what exactly Urin released, and so what if it has magical girl elements and it's not all 100% slice of life. Thing is, I've seen so many cookie cutter slice of life shows that just don't even bother to do anything the slightest bit outside of the popular formula (You could say I find SOL just as formulaic lately as Magical Girl or any other handful of genres are capable of being), that I see this series attempt to meld a slow relaxed pace with well animated magical girl combat a magnificent breath of fresh air. Somehow it does work.

Besides, we'll still probably get to see all of those events you normally see in a modern slice of life series. They're near a beach so you can have the beach episode, they are near a shopping strip so if need be they can have that one too, there are moeish girls dominating the cast and representing all of the usual favourites (one happy go lucky, one loli, one kind of sassy), it's all still there, but with a twist. I like twists (however minor), they keep me interested. For how much longer I don't know, but I'm just grateful that this show at least for now is likely not to be tempted to fall back into the commonly popular slice of life stylings of the now.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 16:00   Link #122
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Well when I started picking at mahou shoujo genre part of the so called formula was that there is this random factor (lets call it "Element X" =P) in every which series, that no matter how you dice it every one of them has a different approach. I guess that also would mean the quality has always been umm "questionable" but what have you, some of them are enjoyable so I'll just take the producers of such shows are weary of "lightning won't strike the same place twice" in this hit or miss game.
Old 2009-07-08, 16:16   Link #123
4Tran

I can't find a whole lot to write about Umi Monogatari so far, but I was wondering that whoever put this show together must have been watching a stack of Sato Junichi shows. Then I looked at the credits .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Besides, we'll still probably get to see all of those events you normally see in a modern slice of life series. They're near a beach so you can have the beach episode, they are near a shopping strip so if need be they can have that one too, there are moeish girls dominating the cast and representing all of the usual favourites (one happy go lucky, one loli, one kind of sassy), it's all still there, but with a twist. I like twists (however minor), they keep me interested. For how much longer I don't know, but I'm just grateful that this show at least for now is likely not to be tempted to fall back into the commonly popular slice of life stylings of the now.
Given that Umi Monogatari is a Magical Girl show, I doubt that it should be classified as a slice of life. I do share your concern about predictability, but Sato Junichi has a pretty good record of putting together some cool ideas. It helps a lot that this seems to be an anime-original show.
Old 2009-07-08, 16:19   Link #124
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
but I was wondering that whoever put this show together must have been watching a stack of Sato Junichi shows. Then I looked at the credits .
Should we be disappointed or happy?
Old 2009-07-08, 16:19   Link #125
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I can't find a whole lot to write about Umi Monogatari so far, but I was wondering that whoever put this show together must have been watching a stack of Sato Junichi shows. Then I looked at the credits .
Yeah i went into the first episode without the information. It's so obvious that he's behind this.

I still love the fact that this show is based of a Pachinko game. Looking at the site , and the only thing they have in common are a few similar character designs. The way i see it, this adaptation is Sato Junichi's creation.
Old 2009-07-08, 16:23   Link #126
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Should we be disappointed or happy?
Happy for sure . While Sato Junichi tends to reuse a lot of motifs, his works tend to be extremely good when he's on. So far, it's hard to say where Umi Monogatari will fit in, but there's a decent chance that he's on with this show given how strongly it adheres to his distinctive style.
Old 2009-07-08, 16:28   Link #127
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Right, well I won't hold my breath. Given the huge amount of good series for what is the Summer season I can just see karma biting us in the ass.

But anyway thanks, its good to hear its in capable hands.
Old 2009-07-08, 16:35   Link #128
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:

Given that Umi Monogatari is a Magical Girl show, I doubt that it should be classified as a slice of life. I do share your concern about predictability, but Sato Junichi has a pretty good record of putting together some cool ideas. It helps a lot that this seems to be an anime-original show.
Hey we agree on something again. Yeah I think it's more appropriate to classify Sea Story as Magical Girl with slice of life elements rather than the other way around.
Old 2009-07-08, 16:55   Link #129
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

BGM...

Spoiler for ep3:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 18:13   Link #130
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for Episode 03 - Bathtime Fun:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 22:30   Link #131
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
BGM...

Spoiler for ep3:
Why would you want the music to change? It's nice the way it is and kind of refreshing. Can't go wrong with slow piano music. Also I say if they can keep the quality of the battles up then let em' have em'. There's no reason why something should be rejected at face value, especially if it's admittedly well done.
Old 2009-07-08, 22:54   Link #132
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

from the director of aria. i was caught from that line on. i still have yet to watch an ep though.. i'm hoping a more well known group will pick it up.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 23:10   Link #133
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Why would you want the music to change?

There's no reason why something should be rejected at face value, especially if it's admittedly well done.
Because the tension remains at 0. Not making the already bad fighting scene any better.

It is well done, but... boring/uninteresting.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 02:36   Link #134
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Why would you want the music to change?
Change? how can it change when its not even there.
Old 2009-07-09, 03:28   Link #135
Fuze

I loved the direction of the first episode even though there were no fight scene. The second episode was still fine, although a bit overwhelming in my opinion, with introducing new elements into the series. And now..
Spoiler for episode 3:
Fuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 03:40   Link #136
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Change? how can it change when its not even there.
I take it you mean the music isn't your thing then? Fair enough, it's not for everyone i guess.
Old 2009-07-09, 03:47   Link #137
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I take it you mean the music isn't your thing then? Fair enough, it's not for everyone i guess.
Well its not like I'm surprised or anything. I've come to expect this of m/s shows, for this particular series though the music is sometimes so subtle its almost not there and when it goes up in important moments and such its still almost like just some background noise.

Fair enough, its not my thing =P I like it nice and clear, not so subtle I have to focus to hear it.
Old 2009-07-09, 04:11   Link #138
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Because the tension remains at 0. Not making the already bad fighting scene any better.

It is well done, but... boring/uninteresting.
A very bizarre assesment.
Old 2009-07-09, 19:58   Link #139
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Umi Monogatari starts to impress me not only for its visual animation and characters' design, but also because the narrative storytelling focuses on a slice-of-life approach intertwining fantasy, mahou-shoujo genre.

I'll tell you that both the soundtrack and situations are not typical in contrast to other magic girls like Sailor Moon or Pretty Cure, among many others.

For example, most of the music employs soft, jazz melodies to depict the everday instances of Kanon, Marin, and Urin at both the sea and the island.

When Sedna's evil aura or minions manifest around the vicinity, the soundtrack doesn't use music or tunes that feel like the stereotypical evilness song filled of ethereal and haunting motifs.
It is a sort of a soft jazz which narrates that the girls have found themselves into a pinch.

Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 02:53   Link #140
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
I'm mostly on board this show because of Muramatsu's compositions. Only saw the first episode so far and even then, that's not a whole lot for me to work off of, but seeing that opinions on here are pretty much mixed, I think it'll be worth it on my end to explore where on the spectrum I fall in terms of liking it.

Anyways, Muramatsu's music here is closer to sketchbook's than kure-nai's, though it brings out more of a summer-ish feel, making it entirely appropriate for the series. Stylistically, it's not a huge departure from what he's composed before, but that's not a bad thing imo.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy