AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 57 36.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 55 35.26%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 19.87%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.21%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-15, 23:37   Link #181
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai1 View Post
the song by tsukasa at the end is actually quite catchy.
Quite unique too having karaoke sequences instead of a standard ED everytime. I like it. But why do we only see the door. -.-
No one's going to complain about Tsukasa singing "too well" ?

Okay, so there's Konata playing the super-fan that distracts a bit from it, but listen just to Tsukasa and she really sounds like an idol. Is this out of character? I don't think so. She doesn't sound drastically different from her speaking voice. But more importantly, I think it's necessary that she be a good singer. It goes back to episode 4, when Kagami started singing, Tsukasa said, "Onee-chan is the better singer." Except that she's wrong. Not out of false modesty but simple innocence. Tsukasa's entire character can be summarized as "under-estimated". None of the girls think she's very bright, but she does well in school even with poor study habits, and was able to answer that Blue Hawaii question. She's too nice to admit it, though.

So it's fitting that not only does Tsukasa sing very well, but is completely ignored because of Konata's antics.
Old 2007-05-15, 23:42   Link #182
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
How about the American Football episode in Fumoffu?
~
It's pointless, Meophist. His tunnel-vision is impregnable.
~~~~ ~~~~

The following is based on [a.f.k.]'s fansub.

Random Thoughts on Ep06:
---- ----
  • Why are the license plates on the cars censored?
  • Initial-D at 40km/hr... Also, I am wondering whether Kagami broke the 4th-Wall in this sequence?
  • Kagami scores another 'victory' over Konata by pointing out the flaw of getting attention from otakus at the beach, leaving Konata at a loss for a comeback.
  • Memories of Misato came back when Nanako-sensei did that beer cheer.
  • Good gravy, the level of animation detail skyrocketed in this episode. That money-shot of the seagull was reminiscent of Air(TV), and all in all, it felt as though the animation budget for this episode equalled the first five combined (if not more).

What happened? Did their animators get frustrated from not being able to display their skills and talents? Were they frothing to go into overkill overdrive mode for Lucky Star?
  • If they had tweaked Kagami's dialogue about the food banter just a wee bit, they could have directly poke some fun at the people who complained about the food conversation in Ep01.
  • I was aghast at Konata allowing her hair to drag on the floor.
  • Nanako and Yui switched roles in this episode, adding another dimension to their dynamics. This time, Nanako played the role of the 'fool' while Yui is the 'straight man'.
  • Kagami's accidental confession that she wanted to get some flirting action.
  • What on Gaia's good green Earth were Kagami and Tsukasa talking about their father!?!? That dialogue raised a lot of eyebrows. If I ever get daughters, and I overheard such a conversation, I would probably get a heart attack from the shock.
  • The Ep07 preview just made my day.
Cheers.
Old 2007-05-15, 23:50   Link #183
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
It's pointless, Meophist. His tunnel-vision is impregnable.
LOL, that made my day. I vaguely remember reading this list once....

So, Skane-sama, what am I then?
Old 2007-05-16, 00:04   Link #184
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-16, 00:22   Link #185
pw1388

DRIFTO! Beep D!!!
Old 2007-05-16, 00:23   Link #186
problemedchild
ô_ô

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Actually that's one thing I really, really hate about erm, *coughs* other releases. I understand mentioning things that the characters say, but when there are big blocks of translation notes at the top telling us how the poster is from Shuffle! or the music is from whatever series, it really gets on my nerves. I think those sorts of things should be better left to the subbers' website or the forums.

Well, IMO anyways.
I'd have to agree with you that having a massive blob of text on the screen for half a minute is annoying. A explaination at the begining of the episode would be nice though, something like what AnimeMPEG did with Ebichu.
Old 2007-05-16, 00:30   Link #187
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
Hmm, this episode left me scratching my head since I didn't get some of the references like the thing Konata was doing with her hair in the bathroom scene.

Lol, Konata was the little devil in the episode tripping Miyuki and scaring the crap out of Tsukasa at night.
The hair thing was a Timotei shampoo advert from at least 20 years ago (she must have seen it on Youtube then ).

About the little devil thing...I thought she looked like an imp when she went to set the soap on Miyuki.
Old 2007-05-16, 00:50   Link #188
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
The adults-driving-them-to-the-beach-in-two-cars-one-of-them-being-a-maniac thing seemed to be lifted wholesale from Azumanga I thought, especially as one of them was their Yukari-like teacher (though at least she wasn't the maniac driver). The scary story scene was also rather like Osaka's lame one at the beach house I thought.

Shame there was no watermelon smashing, though it's true it does seem a waste of a good watermelon. Episode generally good though i thought, especially the seashell scene.....
People should keep in mind that almost all these skits and sequences are based off of the manga/4-koma --- KyoAni is not just making it all up.... okay, the depleted uranium is made up

The beach sequence is based on a collection of 4-koma all drawn together (sometimes the location is changed). Some parts are original (I don't think I've seen the twin's private discussion anywhere) and specific references sometimes replace more generic references.

I gave this darling episode a 10 between the animation and just plain goofiness.

Apparently, the twin's parents had a fairly racy photo album of their earlier days

... And I think Telliamed has nicely described the entity we call Tsukasa very well a few posts up ab0ve.
Old 2007-05-16, 01:02   Link #189
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
LOL, that made my day. I vaguely remember reading this list once....

So, Skane-sama, what am I then?
Biggus Dickus. No wait that's a character from Life of Brian.

In reality I'd see I'm closer to The Philosopher, but really I'm just me.

Football isn't my sport anyway people. My sport is Hockey, being Canadian and all. I don't really like football at all actually, so to me it's not hotblooded.

@Crazyperson: I do this every episode actually. I step outside of myself to do a POV from the average fan sitting at home and watching, pondering the first thing that goes through their mind. In order to do this I switch off my Ego and let the Id take over almost entirely with my Superego sitting in the background waiting to activate should I need to institute a Game Penalty (Yu-Gi-Oh reference in case people have been wondering what the hell I'm talking about when I say that). The rationalizing comes after the spoiler.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-05-16 at 01:43.
Old 2007-05-16, 01:38   Link #190
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPerson View Post
Hey... if Konata's swimsuit means Grade 6, 3rd class, does that mean she hasn't grown for 5/6 years? (Assuming 6th Grade is 11/12 and she is 17 right now. Or the alternative is that she hasn't grown since Grade 3, 6th class... but no.)
Yes, it is 6th grade; scary/funny how Konata is SO underdeveloped. No wonder Kagami doubted about her, er, ... you know what (I can't find a good euphemism).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
  • Why are the license plates on the cars censored?
I see this a lot in photos in japanese sites; I think they are very conscious about protecting other people's privacy, so they blur out faces, plates, tags with personal info, etc. So I think it was just to add some touch of reality (?) . Well, IMO. Made me smile nonetheless.
Old 2007-05-16, 01:59   Link #191
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Kona is petite, waifish, has that HUGE mane of hair, and is aware of her "special tastes" status. There's a pic of her dad and mom somewhere in the manga.... (should scan/post that).
Old 2007-05-16, 02:25   Link #192
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo_N View Post
Yes, it is 6th grade; scary/funny how Konata is SO underdeveloped. No wonder Kagami doubted about her, er, ... you know what (I can't find a good euphemism).

Ah so that's why Kagami made that shocked/surprised face of hers in the bathroom. I totally didn't understand that part when I first watch the episode.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Wandering_Youth; 2007-05-16 at 02:39.
Old 2007-05-16, 02:26   Link #193
ZODDGUTS

Wow! First time for this series had me laughing thorugh out the episode. The Initial D reference was made of win. Hopefully from now on the series will continue at this quality. Really looking forward to Ep 7.

The new director did a really fine job in this episode. Ep 5 was alright but it was neither better or worse then the first four episodes that the previous Director did. Looks now my hopes of the new Director taking this series to a new higher level might come true.
Old 2007-05-16, 03:08   Link #194
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I agree with Vexx - I think this was the best episode yet.

Some random observations:

I wonder how much that ******* D segment cost to make...
Also, drifting at 40 kph? Is that physically possible?

Getting lost/distracted to the point that, by the time you arrive at the beach, it's too late to swim. orz

Konata looking for anime cliches at the beach was fun. FMP reference, Miyuki's eyes, Konata's appeal to those with special interests, etc. No opportunity wasted.

I wonder if Konata wore that swimsuit because she thought it would attract guys.

The food conversation was timed a little weird.

Miyuki actually standing before and audience as she explained the chemical interactions of salt water and hair was hilarious. Even funnier was the fact that she became so focused on the explanation that she forgot that three people were staring at her intently whilst she remained unclothed.

The way Konata hopped and sneaked around to lay her trap for Miyuki was great physical comedy. That hair kills me.
Also, Miyuki actually fell for it

That was an awfully... private conversation between the twins...
And excuse my bit of naiivete, but what did Kagami assume about Konata?

Did someone already explain the Japanese horror references? It's three in the morning and there are ten pages to look through...
Thanks in advance

Tsukasa: "I don't have anything funny to say. I'm Tsukasa. I'm Tsukasa."

She got surprised by a sandcrab. "Onee-chan!!" "She just took a step towards growing up, Kagamin." I with the twin-tailed one on this: huh?

What kind of photos did the twins' parents take?

"I hope that you've all become familiar with this segment!"
A little too familiar, I think
I keep waiting for something big to happen with Lucky Channel, and it always feels like it's about to happen, but it just hasn't done it yet. Akira flipping the bird and strangling and kicking Shiraishi (who appears to be genuinely fearing for his life now) came really close, though.

"Cute as a button and pure as snow! Know what I mean?"

I think (hope?) Lucky Channel is beginning to head in slightly different direction, but we'll see. Maybe I should e-mail KyoAni with my Pinky and the Brain idea...
Old 2007-05-16, 03:34   Link #195
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Was it really a sandcrab? I thought it was some random bug.

@_@ Definitely not the same ones that I like to dig up. (Although.. the big ones I occasionally catch still freak me out. ) OK, now I've got to look into this...

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/crayfish.html

If you scroll down, the second one is the type of sandcrab I'm used to seeing, and the one right under... is that the bug that Tsukasa found? "Seacockroaches"... ...I'll just be over here getting a full-body Momo suit (with little holes for twin-tails to stick out) now.

I assumed that Kona-chan just never cared to get a new swimsuit... After all, if she wanted to buy a new one, she'd have to shop in the kids section and so she'd look like a 6th grader either way. XD
Old 2007-05-16, 03:41   Link #196
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Extra info:
- Kona has carsickness.
Maybe not. That was just another Initial D reference. Konata was saying Mogi's like from when she and Takumi went to the beach.
Old 2007-05-16, 03:54   Link #197
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
... she became so focused on the explanation that she forgot that three people were staring at her intently whilst she remained unclothed.
They're all girls. They're in a bath. Nothing awkward about it.

Quote:
Tsukasa: "I don't have anything funny to say. I'm Tsukasa. I'm Tsukasa."
Hiroshi (owarai)
Forgive me if someone already posted this link. I can't remember if I saw it here or somewhere else.

Even though I didn't know the reference, I still found it quite funny. I guess it's because I knew the crustacean was coming next. I groaned when she picked up the shell. "Oh boy. She's gonna put it to her ear and the crap will pinch her. How boring... eh? Sparkles?" >floored<

Quote:
What kind of photos did the twins' parents take?
Don't all parents keep a photo album full of pictures like "baby's first bath"?

Just wait 'till the twins get boyfriends and they get invited over. They'll wish they had burned the photos when they had the chance.
Old 2007-05-16, 03:57   Link #198
ZODDGUTS

Not too sure about Lucky Channel either it's alright but the series can easily do without it. In the manga it doesn't look like it has a Lucky Channel but that idol girl does show up with another girl that seems to be a school nurse in their own segment. I wonder why they didn't put her with the idol girl instead.
Old 2007-05-16, 07:32   Link #199
Konata-chan
Wannabe Konata Izumi

Send a message via AIM to Konata-chan Send a message via MSN to Konata-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
That was an awfully... private conversation between the twins...
And excuse my bit of naiivete, but what did Kagami assume about Konata?
Kagamin thought that Konata hadn't begun her menstral because of her childlike demeanor.
Old 2007-05-16, 07:42   Link #200
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Not too sure about Lucky Channel either it's alright but the series can easily do without it. In the manga it doesn't look like it has a Lucky Channel but that idol girl does show up with another girl that seems to be a school nurse in their own segment. I wonder why they didn't put her with the idol girl instead.
Because it is funny to watch a guy being traumatised, but it is somewhat creepy when it is a girl? (Unless the girl is Mikuru, in which case it is okay. )

They needed someone to push around, that's all. Using the actor to play himself also remove the need to waste time introducing a non-canon character while minimise clashes with the manga.