AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-22, 06:09   Link #61
The Faction's Lord

Yes, it states in earlier episodes that Jose doesn't want Henrietta reconditioned because it leads to memory loss. I wonder if Angelica can go on missions, because although her memory isn't good she still should be able to do all the things the others can.
Secondly, I think that the reason why in earlier episodes that the other handlers respected Marcos is due to the fact that he was the first.
Old 2003-12-22, 12:51   Link #62
abubo

Angelica was the first and I believe that the earlier conditioning drugs were used on her and she was brain-damaged due to it. I think Rico and others conditioned with newer drugs without that much side-effects so they do retain long-term memories, but only the memory the corp wanted them to have.

I too think she's too disabled to go on missions. You can't do much without long term memory, and it would be dangerous for others if she suddenly forget something in the middle of battle. Thus we've only seen Henrietta, Triela, and Rico in action at this point. Marco's more pissed now cus Angelica's memory issues has hindered his ability to go on missions, since his "tool" is not as useful as Jan's or Jose's. Big disadvantage in this ruthless organization of testoterone-driven killers.

Interesting note: it does appear that the CORP is made up of mostly non-Italians. Maybe the CORP is not run by the Italian Gov't after all... my speculation is that it's ran by either a coilition of multinational spy agencies, or a secret society like the Soldats contracting to the Italian Gov't for anti-terrorism purposes.
Old 2003-12-22, 12:56   Link #63
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
My commentaries on other neglected or overlooked aspects:

I agreed with the possible premise that Henrietta will the catalyst of big changes in the story. However it remains to be seen whether Triela will go against the organization. Rico and Angelica is pretty much clear where they will be. But what makes me intrigued is the resident lab rat, Claes.

Captain Rabarro or Ravallo has accidently created a trigger in Claes. By asking her to wear the glasses, he is asking her to be human but he also specified that she also must do utmost to complete her assigned mission. However with current absence of captain, it is difficult to imagine if she will be doing any covert operations anymore.

I personally think that Claes is the scariest girl, here is a person who keep taking abuses but not complaining at all to let off the steam. If one day she took off the glasses, a lot of people will lose their lives because of a postal amok brainwashed highly trained assassin girl. Right now she is pretty much enigmatic and silent but I do figure that her will be the major factor in the conclusion of this story.

Jan and Jose is siblings (episode 1) and the reason why they were right now is because of revenge. In episode 5, Rabarro/Ravallo asking whether Jan quit the military is because he is on revenge vendetta directly and in episode 6, Jan showed barely repressed anger at the terrorist themselves which is quite out of character of him. I can safely speculate that their family was killed by the anti-establishment terrorist/freedom fighters and they using their underage charges to exact vengeance. Jan has cast away all his humanity and very single minded in name of revenge, Jose/Giuseppe still retain some humanity by doubting the way it is done to get the revenge itself.

What interests me is the inclusion of terrorist/freedom fighter POV in the whole setup. It is obvious the bombers is idealist and they have their own reasons as to why they going against the Italian goverment. It also revealed they also have conscience like an average person would have but it is something about the government that they dead set against and willing to fight it . The older terrorist was talking about inequality of North and South Italy which is indication of perceived social injustice and inequality just like why the ETA doing in Spain now. ( the Basque seperatist terrorist group)

I think the bomber pair will return to haunt the 2nd Section again in the future.

I hope they will talk about the dead fratello story which featured in manga. It could be the key to the whole story. The dead girl name is Elsa.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For fun factor:

Here I will do some ideas on characters based on John Woo's style of using gun characteristics to reveal the characters.

Henrietta:

P239 SiG Sauer, compact and lethal. Pretty much like the user.
FN P90, ibid.

Rico:

Dragunov SVD sharpshooter rifle, distanced and solitary.

Triela:

Winchester trench shotgun, in-your-face, brutal, straight to the point. If possible into your guts.

Angelica:

Steyr AUG Carbine with Pictanilly rail, no comment yet. (Will edit when I seen the proper sub for it)

Claes:

HK MP 5K PDW, silent and deadly
HK VP 70 stock custom, exotic and unsual

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just some opinions.

Addendum: I will not comment on ep 8 because I do not think their translation is that accurate. I rather wait for better subs to comment on Angelica situation more.

Last edited by stormy001_M1A2; 2003-12-22 at 14:16.
Old 2003-12-22, 13:20   Link #64
The Faction's Lord

Quote:
I personally think that Claes is the scariest girl, here is a person who keep taking abuses but not complaining at all to let off the steam. If one day she took off the glasses, a lot of people will lose their lives because of a postal amok brainwashed highly trained assassin girl.
(I'm not sure if that will work or not as this is my first time doing this sort of stuff) I have to agree there, the other freaky thing was that in that episode (8), when they are doing a simulation about using more Fratellos, when Claes looks at the camera she smiles as if she liked it or something *shudders*

Last edited by The Faction's Lord; 2003-12-22 at 14:27.
Old 2003-12-22, 13:45   Link #65
abubo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Faction's Lord
(I'm not sure if that will work or not as this is my first time doing this sort of stuff) I have to agree there, the other freaky thing was that in that episode, when they are doing a simulation about using more Fratellos, when Claes looks at the camera she smiles as if she liked it or something *shudders*
I'm not sure I see her as the scariest, but I see potential in her to rebel against the CORP. To me Triela's the scariest, because she seemed to be the only one consciously accepted her role. Triela's more like that female ex-Russian spy to me, just another killer.

As for Claes not complaining, well, I don't think any of the girls ever complaint about anything, openly or privately. I think it's part of the conditioning. However, I do believe deep down that Claes do remember her big bro and what he told her, and she may act on it one day.

I didn't pickup Jan and Jose are brothers... gotta re-watch the earlier episodes again.
Old 2003-12-30, 16:58   Link #66
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Finally I saw ep 8 and I must comment that Angelica seems to be having problems of being the pioneer artificial body user. Her conditioning left her unable to remember a lot of things, much to distress of her trainer, Marco who complained that all his work is wasted.

But it is clear which side she will be.
Old 2003-12-30, 18:29   Link #67
nuriel_xavier

jeez

great scott, people... this is anime, you really dont need to make lengthy, 'psychological' dissertations on it, just enjoy it like normal people (wow, im saying that, hehe) read a good book and dissert on that, or something. go to school...

anyway, not to be neutral or relativistic, but why exactly are thses guys 'evil?' is it because they dont fit your morals? not everyone who kills is evil. granted, you might not see 'good' reasons for these people to kill, but they do work for a (at least para-)government corp, and they are obeying orders, which dont seem to be against any rules or laws set up for them. we are supposed to obey authority, are we not, or all we all rebels and anarchs here? (in which case ill leave now, because yall are the most pathetic, weak, ineffective anarchs ive probably ever seen...)

anyway, i think thats what i meant to say, obviously yall'll post something if you dont understand, it is a forum... if i insulted you, i dont care, and sorry, at the same time (i have a very interesting personality. oh! there we go! yall could evaluate me! thatll keep you busy...), people need to be hurt, preferably often, to keep them from being soft and weak - worthless. wow, that probably ties in to your thread - evaluate it, please... jk...

oh, and stormy001_M1A2, trielas weapon is a winchester model 1897 trench. just so you know, since you got the models, etc. right for everyone else...
Old 2003-12-31, 00:05   Link #68
Go-lytely

Quote:
Originally Posted by abubo
I'm not sure I see her as the scariest, but I see potential in her to rebel against the CORP. To me Triela's the scariest, because she seemed to be the only one consciously accepted her role. Triela's more like that female ex-Russian spy to me, just another killer.

As for Claes not complaining, well, I don't think any of the girls ever complaint about anything, openly or privately. I think it's part of the conditioning. However, I do believe deep down that Claes do remember her big bro and what he told her, and she may act on it one day.

I didn't pickup Jan and Jose are brothers... gotta re-watch the earlier episodes again.
I dont think they are brothers. They arent even the same nationality. Jose is Italian, Jan (Jean) is French, Hilsyer (Hilshire) is German, Rab(v)allo was (Italian?) Marco was Russian.
Old 2003-12-31, 16:30   Link #69
Relentless
Certifiably insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-lytely
I dont think they are brothers. They arent even the same nationality. Jose is Italian, Jan (Jean) is French, Hilsyer (Hilshire) is German, Rab(v)allo was (Italian?) Marco was Russian.
In the first episode, when Jose and Jan are at the hospital and when they're planning the mission were Henrietta went berserk, Jose referred to Jan as "big brother". There're some other uses of the Japanese word for "brother" , for example, when a young kid speaks to an older man. Kinda weird if Jose used it in that sense, so I think they're indeed brothers. Maybe adopted or not blood-related to explain different hair color and names' nationality. I don't remember when it was said that Jan was French, either
Old 2003-12-31, 18:34   Link #70
The Faction's Lord

It's possible within families that two brothers can have different hair colour etc. Also, it's quite possible for brothers to be born in different places. I mean haven't you heard of moving?
Old 2003-12-31, 19:30   Link #71
K_R
also known as K!

Is Jose officially Italian? I don't remember anyone referring to his as such, but that could be just my memory.

And all the girls use compact pistols.
Old 2003-12-31, 20:34   Link #72
Relentless
Certifiably insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
Is Jose officially Italian? I don't remember anyone referring to his as such, but that could be just my memory.
"Officially" the only one whose nationality we know "for sure" is Hilsher's, just because Jose mentioned that he was a "serious German". Other than that, it's all speculation. BTW, people shouldn't be so attached to their pet theories, IMHO.

OTOH, ADV's manga translated Jose's name as Giuseppe, a common Italian name. Think of this what you want, it's not like it''s set in stone that Jose/Giuseppe is Italian. His Japanese is quite good, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_R
And all the girls use compact pistols.
Question, are the pistols portrayed in accurate scale? I'd say a little girl's hand could barely wrap around the handle, even of a compact handgun, and those hands are very narrow. Yet in GSG girls' hands fit very well. Even using both hands, there should be still plenty of space to fit another pair of hands. Or are their weapons very custom-made, scaled down specifically for them
Old 2004-01-14, 13:00   Link #73
angelica
angel of lust

Unhappy gunslinger girl

why did they stop subbing after 8 its great
Old 2004-01-14, 13:02   Link #74
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Uhh, Japan has holidays, too... there was no Gunslinger Girl for the past two weeks.
Old 2004-01-14, 13:05   Link #75
brightman
Ancient Member

And Fuji TV is releasing this series slowly (they haven't shown an episode in THREE weeks actually), with an average of less than three episodes a month... So yeah, Episode 9 will be aired on 1/15 (tomorrow).
Old 2004-01-14, 13:07   Link #76
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelica
why did they stop subbing after 8 its great
You are not the only country in the world where they do special TV programs reflecting on how 2003 was, pushing back regularly scheduled broadcasts.

How can you expect people to do fansubs overseas if Episode 9 hasn't even been aired on Japan yet (at least for an hour and half later)? Gunslinger Girl airs usually on Wednesdays at 27:30 JST (in your time standards, it would be written as Thursday 3:30AM JST)
Old 2004-01-14, 13:11   Link #77
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
How can you expect people to do fansubs overseas if Episode 9 hasn't even been aired on Japan yet until an hour and half later? Gunslinger Girl airs usually on Wednesdays at 27:30 JST (in your time standards, it would be written as Thursday 3:30AM JST)
Yeah, didn't notice the time... On the Fuji TV site it actually says 3:30 on Thursdays which is something I'm not used to seeing on Japanese sites.
Old 2004-01-14, 13:18   Link #78
angelica
angel of lust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
You are not the only country in the world where they do special TV programs reflecting on how 2003 was, pushing back regularly scheduled broadcasts.

How can you expect people to do fansubs overseas if Episode 9 hasn't even been aired on Japan yet (at least for an hour and half later)? Gunslinger Girl airs usually on Wednesdays at 27:30 JST (in your time standards, it would be written as Thursday 3:30AM JST)

ya well it shouldnt have pushed the schedule back this far
Old 2004-01-14, 13:20   Link #79
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Well, I'll tell you what, when you're running your own TV station you can choose when shows will be interrupted for the holidays.
Old 2004-01-14, 16:22   Link #80
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

This thread fulfills no purpose except to whinge about wanting new episodes and whine about broadcast schedules. Find a real topic.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Closed Thread