AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-05-26, 19:49   Link #2201
WordShaker
In scientific terms only.

Send a message via MSN to WordShaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyusername View Post
I'd gladly burn them.
I'll be the first to praise such a heroic deed.

Last edited by WordShaker; 2009-05-26 at 20:16.
WordShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 20:22   Link #2202
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
I didn't, actually. I stole them from my sister's bookcase.
Oh, I guess that's okay then. Carry on.

Quote:
Except ignoring her leads to her being a pissy bitch and cutting the cord of your scanner because you unplugged her AirPort.

I'd gladly burn them.
No, you should burn her. Nothing serious, mind you, just enough to teach the pissy bit—young lady a lesson.

Sorry, I work on computers for a living. I'm a little sensitive when it comes to electronics vandalism. Please note that for legal reasons I do not (and did not) recommend that you light anyone on fire.

Oh and by the (totally on-topic) way, isn't it interesting that we finally get confirmation that Haruhi is in the Teen Fiction section of the bookstore? **ahem, ahem**
Old 2009-05-26, 20:28   Link #2203
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
The Brampton Guardian, apparently. It also uses Comic Sans at every possible opportunity.
*headdesk*

Let me at them, please. I want to teach them a few lessons about PRESENTATION and PROFESSIONALISM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Oh and by the (totally on-topic) way, isn't it interesting that we finally get confirmation that Haruhi is in the Teen Fiction section of the bookstore? **ahem, ahem**
I could have told you that months ago. That's where I found them in Chapters.

In an interestingly painful note, the professionally printed sign above the display of new Teen novels read "Got Angst?"

That was when I wanted to burn down the entire store. I'll give THEM angst...
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 20:30   Link #2204
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
No, you should burn her. Nothing serious, mind you, just enough to teach the pissy bit—young lady a lesson.
I think I can arrange a small accident with some birthday candles.

Quote:
Please note that for legal reasons I do not (and did not) recommend that you light anyone on fire.
And, uh, yeah, I completely didn't just say that she might be having some issues with candles on her birthday.

Quote:
It's nice to see something on topic in this thread.

I have nothing to say about this on topic topic, though. Aside from the fact that the placement of the book in the Teen Fiction section leads to incidents wherein customers ask people who happen to be lurking around the books whether The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is like Twilight if Edward was Asian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
In an interestingly painful note, the professionally printed sign above the display of new Teen novels read "Got Angst?"
WHAT IS THIS FOOLISHNESS

If that sign was in any way referring to Twilight or any book in the Twilight series, I might have to kill myself. There's no damn conflict in the books. NONE. Nothing that could be considered angst, unless you don't know the definition of the word. Or unless you consider a boring, normal, and average girl moving to a small town and having every person fall in love with her angst.
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 20:35   Link #2205
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
WHAT IS THIS FOOLISHNESS

If that sign was in any way referring to Twilight or any book in the Twilight series, I might have to kill myself. There's no damn conflict in the books. NONE.
Given Twilight's ridiculous popularity, I wouldn't be surprised.

But I'd think the sign would be more referring to the apparently typical teenager who feels that the whole world hates them and that nothing is fair because their parents won't let them stay out past midnight and buy dangerous substances.

So they should bury themselves in poorly-written fiction novels to stave off their 'angst', according to Chapters.

Kids who think like that don't have 'angst'. They have 'stupid'.
Old 2009-05-26, 20:36   Link #2206
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Suuuurrrrrre, and the world is flat (according to Friedman it is...).

And teen novels aren't, in general, angsty. At least not the ones I've read.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 20:54   Link #2207
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
But I'd think the sign would be more referring to the apparently typical teenager who feels that the whole world hates them and that nothing is fair because their parents won't let them stay out past midnight and buy dangerous substances.
People ask me why I bother to read books that weren't originally written in English, or books that weren't written specifically for obsessive teenage girls. This is why. It's hard to find something to read now that isn't either written to a ridiculous degree of shittiness or Twilight.

Twilight's written pretty shittily too, but it's so damn popular that it gets its own category. Really, at the bookstore in my mall, they managed to cram in a section devoted to Twilight. Aside from the rows and rows of it at the front of the store, of course.

Quote:
So they should bury themselves in poorly-written fiction novels to stave off their 'angst', according to Chapters.
Chapters, why have you failed me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
And teen novels aren't, in general, angsty. At least not the ones I've read.
They really aren't, but they try. Unsuccessfully, of course, but the constant flood of signs and advertisements calling series like Twilight "dark" and "angsty" and "deep" seem to have convinced the majority of people my age that Twilight is what you read if you're an emotionally complex, unpredictable and rebellious teen. I'd rather have character development and an actual plot over looking popular and cool while reading.

I never really associated reading with giving off any image other than "oh hey, that person is reading a book" or "STAY THE FUCK AWAY I'M READING", but apparently if you read books that have movies or TV series based off of them (or vice versa), or if you read whatever's on the Popular Fiction shelf, you will be as well-liked and popular as the book itself.

Sorry. I'm done ranting now.
Old 2009-05-26, 21:06   Link #2208
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy Hared Azn View Post
And you know this because . . .

Oh lord, he's read Twilight! Please exit the thread and leave your man card at the door.
I'm a girl.
Old 2009-05-26, 21:07   Link #2209
Nappy Hared Azn
Check out my Rolek!

Haha. I read the post above and figured as much, so I tried to delete it before anyone noticed.

Smooooth.
Old 2009-05-26, 21:57   Link #2210
OkamiNoKaze

Anyone think there will be a collected addition of the Novels when it's all done? do they even do that with light novels?
OkamiNoKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 21:59   Link #2211
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
Anyone think there will be a collected addition of the Novels when it's all done? do they even do that with light novels?
They could totally do that, and it would be awesome, but I doubt it.

Also we still have no idea how long Haruhi is supposed to be... given the current rate of plot development, I'd guess about 20ish books.
Old 2009-05-26, 22:10   Link #2212
OkamiNoKaze

Imagines huge hard bound family bible sized book on the bookshelf, that's be cool.
OkamiNoKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-26, 23:54   Link #2213
besieger
Fabulous Shadowy Advisor

Quote:
Given Twilight's ridiculous popularity, I wouldn't be surprised.

Kids who think like that don't have 'angst'. They have 'stupid'.
Or they have 'stupid wangst'. Whatever.

Speaking of local papers, YVR's papers are as lame as anything get. I read REAL newspaper back in HK, and that's saying something.

I'll randomly repeat myself now. KAISOS' A PEDO! *runs*
besieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 01:28   Link #2214
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
WHAT IS THIS FOOLISHNESS

If that sign was in any way referring to Twilight or any book in the Twilight series, I might have to kill myself. There's no damn conflict in the books. NONE. Nothing that could be considered angst, unless you don't know the definition of the word. Or unless you consider a boring, normal, and average girl moving to a small town and having every person fall in love with her angst.
I actually saw the movie, and if the books are anywhere near the same, that could be the blurb on the back of the novel. Don't worry, I saw it for free, as part of an "Intel training seminar" (retail computer employee). Still can't figure out why Intel decided to screen a movie geared toward "obsessed teenage girls" to a bunch of retail employees, but I have to admit I enjoyed the hell out of myself MSTing the horrid piece of drivel. I can safely say it has eclipsed Crow: City of Angels and formed an unholy trinity with Mortal Kombat: Annihilation and Highlander 2 as the worst movies I've ever seen in a theater. Horrible acting, textbook pretentious directing, dialog that made Attack of the Clones sound like Shakespeare... It was so bad I started to wonder if it was intentionally so, but then I realized it wasn't written well enough to be intentionally bad. Stay away. Stay far away. Unless there's alcohol involved and any humor is directed at the screen from the audience... ^_^
Old 2009-05-27, 01:48   Link #2215
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I didn't believe Attack of the clones was that bad although I wanted to see more of clone wars but I do agree that MKA was horribel to say the least. Unless I see wangsty or angsty Haruhi, I would prefer to keep her as is especially when she seems more interesting with her tsundereness and what not.
Old 2009-05-27, 02:00   Link #2216
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
I didn't believe Attack of the clones was that bad although I wanted to see more of clone wars but I do agree that MKA was horribel to say the least. Unless I see wangsty or angsty Haruhi, I would prefer to keep her as is especially when she seems more interesting with her tsundereness and what not.
Attack of the Clones was a very pretty movie with some pretty damn nice choreography (except for the masses of uncoordinated Jedi in the stadium at the end) and some gorgeous special effects (that I am happy to say are totally blown away by the new Star Trek movie). That said, the "lovey dovey" dialogue between Anakin and Padme makes me want to jab ice picks in my ears. I seriously want to know how the same man that gave us "I love you." "I know." could cook up such a steaming pile of crap...

Damn, now I need to go drop another $10 and see that Enterprise rising out of the Titanian cloud cover scene again... God, that was absolutely the most beautiful effects shot in film history...
Old 2009-05-27, 02:01   Link #2217
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
I seriously want to know how the same man that gave us "I love you." "I know." could cook up such a steaming pile of crap...
Harrison Ford wrote Attack of the Clones?
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-27, 02:03   Link #2218
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Well if Ford came up with that line, it makes sense...
Old 2009-05-27, 02:04   Link #2219
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Hahaha.

Yeah, Ford improv'd that.

None of the good ideas in Star Wars were ever Lucas'. For that matter, he didn't really have much to do with the original trilogy besides producing and coming up with the original idea.

It was other, more competent people who should be credited with the film's literary success, not I LOVE YOU PADME BUT SUDDENLY I'M GOING TO MURDER YOU

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 2009-05-27, 02:36   Link #2220
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

How far off topic are we now?

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga