AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-02, 12:21   Link #3421
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
THERE IT IS, BODYSUIT MARIKA OOOOHHHHH DOCTOR

That won the entire series for me, look at that small chest, that fancy belt, those cuff links, those shoulder pads, and that crotch, ah I love her! MARIKA!!!! *mangatron jumps up and down on a yellow couch* That's it, I want to be a crew member on the Bentenmaru, I'm going to sabotage the bridge and leave a small hole on the hull, that way Marika would be forced to wear that bodysuit every time she's on the bridge nyahahaha
I second what Mangatron said there. Marika is a character made of awesome, adorable and hotness with juuuust enough flaws to keep her human.

But while on the subject of characters... throughout the series I have failed to understand the appeal of Chiaki. Sure, she's cute and I'm sure her kuudere-ness speaks to some... but every time she got even a few second of screentime many worshiped the few steps of ground she worked on.

Despite doing... well... nothing. At all.

After her rescue of Marika in the first episode, she's pretty much devoted to "showcase how awesome Marika is" status. She didn't do a single useful thing in the entire series, and was regularly overshadowed by even highschool students of all people.

So.... why the rabid fanbase? Genuine curiosity here.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 12:41   Link #3422
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

A Dark Queen doesn't need to do anything to be worshiped, other than simply exist.

Endless "<nickname placeholder>" Soul
Old 2012-07-02, 12:45   Link #3423
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Her over the top piracy act in place of Marika was rather awesome. But then I like over the top female laughs.
Old 2012-07-02, 13:12   Link #3424
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Not to mention meeting the fantasies of a bunch of guys, lol. Which leads back to what was just said; she just has to exist to be awesome. lol
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 13:16   Link #3425
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
A Dark Queen doesn't need to do anything to be worshiped, other than simply exist.

Endless "<nickname placeholder>" Soul
Yes. I concur!
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 14:02   Link #3426
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I second what Mangatron said there. Marika is a character made of awesome, adorable and hotness with juuuust enough flaws to keep her human.

But while on the subject of characters... throughout the series I have failed to understand the appeal of Chiaki. Sure, she's cute and I'm sure her kuudere-ness speaks to some... but every time she got even a few second of screentime many worshiped the few steps of ground she worked on.

After her rescue of Marika in the first episode, she's pretty much devoted to "showcase how awesome Marika is" status. She didn't do a single useful thing in the entire series, and was regularly overshadowed by even highschool students of all people.

I think some people are into her character design, mannerisms, and attitude.

Anyhow, Chiaki is Marika if she would have been raised by her father. Opposite sides of the same coin. They share a lot in common.

- Both have young fathers/parents.
- both are pirate girls. Chiaki is in line to inherit her father's license if she doesn't have older siblings.
- both are the exact same age
- parents are friends just like they are friends.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 15:35   Link #3427
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
It is supposed to be on the 3rd of every month, but I guees the Japanese are going to be busy with their Tanabata celebration this Saturday. The 2nd Chapter of the manga is now available at NicoNico Seiga [link]. Many parts have been altered from the novel, but at least he got the part where Gruelle shows the ring to Bentenmaru crew almost right
Spoiler for oh Marika why you so crazy:
And you can pre-listen the songs in Mouretsu Pirates concept album, cosmic Expo, from Mikako-shi's official Satelight website [link]. What's with the very short version of the first song?
It's crazy but why I feel that Marika likes Chiaki?? in the manga if the anime continued his might...
Old 2012-07-02, 16:09   Link #3428
Merkarion

I´m hoping that somebody translating the Light Novels...

That would be a good filler before the Movie comes^^

(also i hope that the Light Novels aren´t a Yuri free zone like the Anime ^^^)
Merkarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 16:36   Link #3429
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkarion View Post
(also i hope that the Light Novels aren´t a Yuri free zone like the Anime ^^^)
Jenny and Lynn in the anime would disagree vehemently about the anime being a yuri-free zone.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 18:15   Link #3430
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Moretsu pirate is clearly a novel / anime yuri manga after the same ..................
Old 2012-07-02, 21:13   Link #3431
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:

*thinks about Rei Ayanami and wonders if Keroko's account has been hacked by someone who hasn't spent a second among otaku*

On another note, I'm impressed that the director/producer didn't succumb to the unholy amounts of temptation there must have been when making an anime full of young girls. Moretsu reminds me that there is hope for the industry, after all. Also, no second season?
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 21:39   Link #3432
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

The author wanted Marika to originally be a guy. He had to be arm-wrestled by the publisher, and subsequently the producer, to implement the current incarnation we see so far. Even so, Marika still comes across as an effeminate boy rather than a total girl at times. In a sense, like Jane Shepard.
Old 2012-07-02, 21:49   Link #3433
justpassingby

Huh? As far as I concern, Sasamoto's protagonists has always been girls since he began writing back in 1984, with some exception like ARIEL Bangaihen.
Old 2012-07-02, 22:33   Link #3434
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
The author wanted Marika to originally be a guy. He had to be arm-wrestled by the publisher, and subsequently the producer, to implement the current incarnation we see so far. Even so, Marika still comes across as an effeminate boy rather than a total girl at times. In a sense, like Jane Shepard.
Judging from CR's EP26 postings, Marika seems to have a significant following i.e. they like Marika's personality profile.

Last Exile Fam also has a pirate girl as a lead character, but audience seems to have a negative feelings against her e.g stupid/naive/hard headed/annoying girl view point.

For Bioware, there's a business/creative case for Mass Effect's Jane Shepard.

PS; stupid/cute/hot/sweet character is another topic.

Last edited by encia; 2012-07-03 at 02:43.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 00:29   Link #3435
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
well I say that ultimately BETTER AS the author has created a girl to be the heroine of his novel and not a boy
Old 2012-07-03, 05:21   Link #3436
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
*thinks about Rei Ayanami and wonders if Keroko's account has been hacked by someone who hasn't spent a second among otaku*
Rei actually did plot relevant stuff. Chiaki's usually just... there. You could remove 95% of her screentime with no ill effect.

A waste, in my opinion. It's always good for the main character to have a counterpart, and Chiaka could have filled that role perfectly. Tad cliché, happy MC/kuuderec ounterpart, but cliché's exist for a reason. Instead, she was mostly reduced to sitting in the back and making Marika look even more awesome, and Greuer took op the torch for counterpart most of the times. Who did an excellent job, by the way.

Quote:
And I don't mind one bit.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 05:30   Link #3437
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Sure, she's cute and I'm sure her kuudere-ness speaks to some (...) So.... why the rabid fanbase? Genuine curiosity here.
Her Kuudere-ness speaks to some , her Tsundere-ness towards Marika speaks to many,people will HNG anytime she displays it,you can read coments about that all over this thread.
Old 2012-07-03, 09:39   Link #3438
justpassingby

According to Mikako-shi radio program, after her event at the Sunshine Plaza, Ikebukuro, for the single Black Holy promotion back in April, the director and staffs went for a meal. That is when the Director said to them that they're going to do the movie.

I think the movie is going to be another OC. Let's hope that the movie will not turn out to be something like Marika and Chiaki went missing and Ai becomes the Captain of Odette II and the movie turn into Baka Baka :P. Hell if I know

There will be a live event for promoting the concept album this Saturday at Ikebukuro, and it is watchable at NicoNice Live [link]. So I take it she will not be presence for Satou Tatsuo's Birthday Eve event on the 6th, and the guests list hasn't been updated.

Can I look forward to AmeOnna vs Orihime this Saturday?
Old 2012-07-03, 09:45   Link #3439
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Good info, just...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
I think the movie is going to be another OC. Let's hope that the movie will not turn out to be something like Marika and Chiaki went missing and Ai becomes the Captain of Odette II and the movie turn into Baka Baka :P. Hell if I know
Explain, Mr Data. In English.
Old 2012-07-03, 09:55   Link #3440
justpassingby

^
Spoiler:
Or may be what Mami said in the audio drama 2 will actually be in the movie. (The part where something under Hakuoh Academy that will gattai with Odette II to form a giant robot)

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-07-03 at 10:14.
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri