AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-30, 22:14   Link #21
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I've heard that a lot, but I don't quite get it. I wonder if it's true or a myth.

If Ryukishi planned since the beginning to name the witch after Dante's Beatrice, then there's no way this is true. Just go to the wiki, look for the divine comedy and switch to japanese. Ryukishi just made a copy and paste of the official transliteration of the name.

Else you need to imagine he started from the idea to call her Beatrix from the common english name, and then after a few researches he found out the Italian version and that that name was an important character of the Divine Comedy. But that sounds unlikely to me. If that's true then the association with the Divine Comedy happened by a mere chance.

Anyway does anyone know where this rumor come from? I've heard it was said in an interview, can someone link it?

Old 2009-06-30, 23:16   Link #22
Avisch
Reality Blender

This post is where I first saw it.

So yeah nothing really confirmable, unless there's a written interview. I understand your points though.

One crazy B****
Old 2009-07-01, 09:40   Link #23
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

I've been trying to train myself to read Beatrice's name with the italian pronounciation as opposed to the English pronounciation. Simply because it seems the italian way was more Ryukishi's intention. However, It is... difficult. (If only for the mental barier XD .)

On the off chance this series ever gets dubbed, my curiosity wonders which pronuncation they would use. Hmmm...
Old 2009-07-01, 09:50   Link #24
Skullchukka
Letter from lost days ~

Simple; no English dubbing would save everyone!

I'm more leaning about the Italian version on that, by the way.
Old 2009-07-01, 09:53   Link #25
lovelysan

...But I like English dubbing ;_; ....
Old 2009-07-01, 09:54   Link #26
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Me, too! Since Germany didn't even dub Higurashi I don't think they will dub Umineko. mean it will be a pain in the a** to get the DVDs. Shipping from america or england isn't that expensive and it will have english subs so I want a dub
Old 2009-07-01, 14:37   Link #27
Auria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
Me, too! Since Germany didn't even dub Higurashi I don't think they will dub Umineko. mean it will be a pain in the a** to get the DVDs. Shipping from america or england isn't that expensive and it will have english subs so I want a dub
Me too. But actually listen to dubs I will only if they are highly recommended, because listening to a few (english and german) dubs extremely ruined the anime for me afterwards, though they are some very good ones as well.
Old 2009-07-01, 16:51   Link #28
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Btw the pronounciation is also given in the Full Version of the Opening of the Visual Novel うみねこのなく頃に.
It is pronounced Be-a-tri-che, but the Japanese version emulates that into be-a-to-ri-che, of course.

Don't know why people still pronounce her in an English way, is it that hard to understand in the Opening or am I listening to much to such stuff?
Ah well...maybe many people don't even know the full size version.
Old 2009-07-01, 17:43   Link #29
lovelysan

I didn't notice her name in the song until just the other day ^^;. You have to understand, "Beatrice" is such a common English name that our ears just aren't USED to hearing it any other way.
Old 2009-07-01, 17:46   Link #30
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

It is actually written that way in english?

Old 2009-07-01, 17:57   Link #31
lovelysan

Yep. English. The language of spelling made to confuse~ (since a lot of words are loan words that we just ended up pronouncing in odd ways.... And then those ways become official.... )

EDIT= As a random side note, http://www.beatrice.ne.gov/ XD .
Old 2009-07-01, 19:21   Link #32
kagato3

Something that has been bugging me. I know that the one wing eagle crest is importent to the family but has it ever been explained why that some like Eva, Jess, and Battler have it faceing the wrong way?
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
Old 2009-07-01, 19:33   Link #33
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
Something that has been bugging me. I know that the one wing eagle crest is importent to the family but has it ever been explained why that some like Eva, Jess, and Battler have it faceing the wrong way?
Technically there's no wrong way for the crest to be presented. As long as it looks like the one-winged eagle and it's visible.
Old 2009-07-01, 19:36   Link #34
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
I don't think it makes a difference, since it's about half and half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelysan View Post
As a random side note, http://www.beatrice.ne.gov/ XD .
CLEARLY, THIS IS THE GOLDEN LAND
Old 2009-07-01, 19:39   Link #35
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
clearly, this is the golden land
IT'S IN NEBRASKA

Damn, Maria was off by way over 500 miles.
Old 2009-07-01, 19:59   Link #36
Hareoic
There will be burgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
IT'S IN NEBRASKA

Damn, Maria was off by way over 500 miles.
Holy !
I live in Nebraska, how could I have missed this?!

That reminds me, has anybody figured out what particular island Rokkenjima is based on, if Ryukishi based it on an existing location like Hinamizawa?
Old 2009-07-01, 20:28   Link #37
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I don't think you can say it's based on a particular island. Most of the pictures aren't even taken on an island at all. However in the Ep4 opening the shape of the island shown is clearly Shikinejima which is the closest island to Niijima. That's pretty much about it though. I don't think any background picture was shot in that particular island. There are only a few shots of Niijima.

Old 2009-07-01, 23:30   Link #38
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
Technically there's no wrong way for the crest to be presented. As long as it looks like the one-winged eagle and it's visible.
Thats not how heraldry works. It's pointless to have a family crest/seal/signet that is not standarized and mirroring it is a rather large change.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
Old 2009-07-01, 23:39   Link #39
Mikachiru
test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auria View Post
Me too. But actually listen to dubs I will only if they are highly recommended, because listening to a few (english and german) dubs extremely ruined the anime for me afterwards, though they are some very good ones as well.
Actually, I like dubs even if they are bad (which usually isn't the case). I'm fine with reading subtitles, but it sounds better to someone like me who doesn't watch too many animes in japanese if it's in my native language...American. XD That and Keiichi=Axel the Dark hero is uber pwnage.
Old 2009-07-01, 23:54   Link #40
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
Thats not how heraldry works. It's pointless to have a family crest/seal/signet that is not standarized and mirroring it is a rather large change.
Apparently either Ryu07 doesn't know that or Kinzo doesn't care, though.
Closed Thread

Tags
q&a