AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-19, 03:44   Link #1
Seph.

Anyone know of any post-apocalyptic anime?

Just as the title says. I've seen Fist of the North Star and Desert Punk. I can't hink of any other post-apoc anime.

Anyone?
Old 2007-07-19, 07:13   Link #2
Mephisto2k
anime4life

Ergo proxy is great for a sorta post epocalyptical setting and has great animation quality.
neon genesis evangelion is a classic post apocalyptic anime everyone has to know.
rahxephon is said to be a evangelion rip off, but i think its just so different and much better than evangelion. but both are very good stories and already instant classics.
Wolfs rain is also great but the apocalyptical factor isnt that great even if its there.
Old 2007-07-19, 07:28   Link #3
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Trigun has that sort of feeling to it and is an awesome series too. It's got a western feeling to it but with old technologies and so on scattered throughout as well.

And Scrapped Princess fits the bill perfectly. I can't say any more without spoiling it though. Just watch it, it's fantasy with magic and so on, but keep watching and you'll see why I'm suggesting it

edit: also, The Third is a fantastic series set in a post apocalyptic earth after world war 3. One of the best of its type imho.

And lastly, Stellvia of the Universe is one of my alltime favourites, it's one hell of an awesome series, go watch it

Last edited by Radiosity; 2007-07-19 at 07:39.
Old 2007-07-19, 08:51   Link #4
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I second Scrapped Princess and The Third.

Zegapain - although it doesn't look like it at first, believe me - this is as post-apocalyptic as it can possibly get SciFi/action/romance

Gunparade March - SciFi/romance/drama

For a short, one episode OVA - Pale Cocoon
Old 2007-07-19, 09:08   Link #5
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Ooh, forgot Pale Cocoon, yeah second that, very nice little oav

And Zegapain is post-apocalyptic? Sweet, i've got that to watch (I seem to recall you recommended that to me before Skyfall ). Looking forward to that now.
Old 2007-07-19, 09:16   Link #6
mdauben

Of course, Miyazaki's Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is set in a post-apocolyptic world. The story takes place 1,000 years after a global war that decimated the human population and the ecosystem.

You could also say that Mai Otome is post-apocolyptic. It's set in a rather barren alien world, where a lot of the former technology was lost by most countries after a series of wars.

Last edited by mdauben; 2007-07-19 at 10:29. Reason: I meant Mai Otome.
Old 2007-07-19, 09:20   Link #7
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Um, Mai HiME is based in OUR world, albeit an alternate one. You're thinking of the second, unrelated series, Mai Otome.
Old 2007-07-19, 09:56   Link #8
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Another vote goes to Pale Cocoon.

You might also want to try Ai-Ren by Yutaka Tanaka although the apocalypse here is more of a work in progress, somewhat similar to the world of Saikano though it's given a far more hopeful atmosphere despite the ruin.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou might also be a good choice. The anime OAV's aren't that bad but they're more of complementary material for the manga itself (which I think is currently occupying the 3rd slot at the moment at ANN's top 10 lists).

It's also the same thing for Blame! by Tsutomu Nihei (so-so OAV for fans of the manga, apocalypse as a work in progress) though there is more emphasis on the action and, being a cyberpunk title, this is probably the darkest among my recommendations.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
Old 2007-07-19, 12:14   Link #9
retardation
phantom loser

see scrapped princess was already mentioned. there's a couple other series that are like that that i want to bring up but bringing them up spoils the series.
Old 2007-07-19, 15:03   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Noein covers some of the post-apocalyptic ground, especially in one of the alternative universes. Ergo Proxy would still be my first nominee, though.
Old 2007-07-19, 15:25   Link #11
retardation
phantom loser

oh yeah, wolf's rain.
Old 2007-07-19, 22:22   Link #12
mishka

-Noein

-Ergo Proxy

-Engage Planet Kiss Dum

-Darker Than Black (?!?maybe)

-Blame!

-Trigun
Old 2007-07-21, 10:15   Link #13
araxia
Junkie

Send a message via AIM to araxia
Infinite Ryvius - Really good.

Also Soul Link is sorta like that.
Old 2007-07-21, 11:29   Link #14
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

I honestly don't believe you just suggested Soul Link, one of the worst anime of recent history, hands down
Old 2007-07-21, 11:31   Link #15
araxia
Junkie

Send a message via AIM to araxia
I liked it... :P
Old 2007-07-28, 10:10   Link #16
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

wow...no mention of Gilgamesh yet? Best postapocalyptic anime I've ever seen, animation aside...
Old 2007-07-28, 15:30   Link #17
Navel

Texhnolyze as well.
Old 2007-07-28, 22:53   Link #18
gencbiba

Try Akira. Basically has everything that you asked for. It's licensed though.

Captain Tsubasa and Dai no Daibouken are being translated!! Check us out at http://www.hiei-tf.fr/frenchies-subs/. Stop on by and show us some love at the forums.
Old 2007-07-29, 18:27   Link #19
Juan Valdez

I just saw Origin and it was pretty good. The plot was kinda cliche, but the film has enough other merits to make up for it.
Old 2007-07-31, 23:34   Link #20
starwed

Blue Gender is a pretty good post-apocalyptic story. The animation isn't the best, and Yuji can be annoying at times, but overall I enjoyed it a lot.

Someone mentioned Texhnolyze: it's good, although it mostly takes place in an urban environment. (I haven't watched it through to the end yet, so I guess that could change.)

I couldn't get through the first disc of Gilgamesh: it looked pretty interesting, but then when I watched it the characters were so flat and boring that it just got on my nerves. It probably didn't help that I was half-way through rewatching Evangelion, though...
Closed Thread