AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-05-22, 11:32   Link #101
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Nice, this is just the kind of series I've been looking forward to. Stylish with plenty of action and comedy.

Mugen and Jin rock equally . Mugen's almost got the Spike Spiegel goofyness while Jin has a cold and calculating(yet fair) demeaner, a nice contrast of personalities indeed. It'll be a blast seeing how they deal with each other.

This series is so stylish it bloody bleeds(to be redundent) style- Definitely going to follow these series and pick up the DVD when it comes out... although I hope the animation quality doesn't drop from the first episode like it often does in many different anime series.

Well, time will tell... if I had to review the first episode though from a scale of 10, I'd give it a shiny 10 .
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 12:22   Link #102
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Send a message via AIM to silentpixel Send a message via MSN to silentpixel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagetsu
Finished mine, I don't do this often just whenever I get spurts.
i really like that
silentpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 12:29   Link #103
Youko Recca
Breakdancing Samurai

Why is that?
Youko Recca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 13:24   Link #104
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Send a message via AIM to silentpixel Send a message via MSN to silentpixel
no i meant i like what he made. lol i like your to. even though their both similar
silentpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 14:42   Link #105
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

without the hiphop it would just be like another recycled samurai anime. I like how they took all that samurai stuff and added hiphop and all the jarring and mixing to it. I hope they stick to their take it or leave it style.
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 14:46   Link #106
kagetsu
3D Animator
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpixel
no i meant i like what he made. lol i like your to. even though their both similar
The first one I made had all three of them in it but it was to big for the boards. Plus while I was making it I had put mugen in the scene first and really liked it so I took fuu and jin out and added a border to it last night. I was gonna try to do a blue glow coming off the sword but I didn't like it as much. Maybe its just my skills suck right now in photoshop but if I figure something out i'd put it in.
kagetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 14:48   Link #107
jennwenn

I watched it again, this time not when I was doing something else at the same time and w/subs. I think I know where the story is headed now. I suspect Fuu's family was killed by a samurai/villain-type and she is hiring Mugen and Jin to track him down and kill him for revenge.

This is very typical of samurai stories, like in Blade of the Immortal or Lone Wolf & Cub. (I'm getting SERIOUS Blade of the Immortal vibes.) But of course, I anticipate some Watanabe twists. I really want to watch more samurai flicks, there must be so many injokes here. For example, Fuu made fun of the guard's traditional shaved hairstyle (I don't know the name of it) as if she were speaking from the modern "how unfashionable" persepctive, and Mugen cut off the Addidas guy's (dyed punk blonde!) topknot, which is a huge sign of disrespect.

I loved the scene where Fuu said she'd do anything and the guy's like "anything?! *drool*"

I still don't know what to think about that flying squirel mascot thing. Uh, unneccesary?

So Watanage has tackled jazz & space and is taking on hip-hop & samurai. Hip-hop still isn't my thing, but its a cool concept. I like how no character yet can be called a rehash of Spike, Ed, Faye, or Jet. The new characters are totally different. In fact, if I didn't already know I'd probably not recognize that this series was from the director of Cowboy Bebop.

I'm so glad that many more samurai/ninja/historical Japan anime are coming out now. I love this genre to death!

Who licensed this again?
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 14:59   Link #108
Youko Recca
Breakdancing Samurai

Geneon is getting this bad boy.
Youko Recca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 14:59   Link #109
oDin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
Who licensed this again?
Geneon. Licenced almost a year before the anime even aired in Japan.
oDin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 15:12   Link #110
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oDin01
Geneon. Licenced almost a year before the anime even aired in Japan.
Good! Geneon are by far the fastest when it comes to releasing their DVDs.
Old 2004-05-22, 16:29   Link #111
wnkryo
HainShodan

This series is SUPER hot. ------WoW

A little thing like a license can't stop "people" from seeing this one

Edit: Just want to add that, if those who didn't notice, Zoro from One Piece voices Mugen. I guess he was made for a swordsmen voice ^^
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 18:05   Link #112
metachronism

For those of you wondering, "champloo" is an okinawan stir fry--probably hinting at the amalgamation of Edo-era Japan and the present-day Japan in the show. You'll notice that they intentionally mix modern slang with historical language of the era, and some of the people are dressed...eh... strangely .

Mugen is from "Ryūkyū" which is the old name of Okinawa (actually, it's the name of the kingdom that existed there that was independent of Japan). That's why he's dressed funny (well, ok, it's a little exaggerated in the show) and his capricious attitude doesn't "fit in" with the rest of the Edo folks.

BTW, I love the caustic humor in this show

--meta
metachronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 20:06   Link #113
apr
Pedestrian

Personally I think the bestest part of the first episode is Fuu's face when she's called an idiot by one of the customers.

Regarding the show, I think the music is brilliant (and I usually can't stand hip-hop), with a delightful ending theme, although I might wish they could spell "lyrics" properly.

The animation is top-notch, very likely because someone who puts out Cowboy Bebop will get a budget the size of Jupiter, but the show is remarkably ugly. All characters were hit with the ugly-stick prior to release from the drawing board, which is rather interesting. Note the teeth especially.

Storywise, it has yet to bloom. It was a clear character introduction episode, and my Japanese isn't all that fabulous just yet (I watched the raw). Fuu is a damsel in distress, Jin is a hero with skills, and Mugen is a punk -- it should become interesting, at least.

In reply to the discussion on scratch cuts, I thought it was nice. I seem to recall it was used moderately, in situations when the story was either pulled back a bit, or when it jumped between two concurrent events.

All in all, it's a big fat YAY! since I loved Cowboy Bebop and want to see more like it.
Old 2004-05-22, 22:02   Link #114
Spooky-Electric

There's a new sub out from a group called something.

Last edited by NightWish; 2004-05-23 at 05:34.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 22:04   Link #115
Lunchboxx

Send a message via AIM to Lunchboxx Send a message via MSN to Lunchboxx Send a message via Yahoo to Lunchboxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
There's a new sub out from a group called something
Yeah, I was Amazed when I refreshed Animsuki and they had That up, its not there anymore but how did it get there in the first place?

Last edited by NightWish; 2004-05-23 at 05:34.
Lunchboxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 22:33   Link #116
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
There's a new sub out from a group called...
Samurai Champloo is licensed by Geneon Entertainment (USA), Inc.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchboxx
Yeah, I was Amazed when I refreshed Animsuki and they had That up, its not there anymore but how did it get there in the first place?
It was an error.

Back on-topic now.
Old 2004-05-22, 23:07   Link #117
Final

The OP made me want to vomit. I'm sorry but I don't like the broken english rap the only group that really has made it work is Zap Mamma. I'd prefer to just hear some Japanese rapping over the beats or just some lyrics like the ending.

that's my only complaint.

other then that the show banged. The whole mood was dope. Starting with "This show is fictional. However, there are some parts that portray actual history..." then it goes on to say, "Just shut your mouth and watch it." Mugen is hard, more then just a dumb thug, but being stupid works for him like this run on sentence does for me. Jin is old school, I don't need to say any more. Fuu is cute and who ever said it was right... This show reeks of Blade of the Immortal. but I like how dark and grimy the show is.

this is the first thing I typed but I saved it for last.

I think I'm gonna puke on the person that says, "I normally don't like hip hop." STFU most people don't know what real hip hop is. Too many people confuse Top 40 rap for Hip Hop. If you don't know who The Roots, Mos Def, Common, Gang Star, The Lox, Company Flow, Reflection Eternal and Pharohe Monch are then you definatly are confusing the two. I can't say I don't like rock because the only things I have to measure it up to is Creed, Poison and Metalica. The only real Hip Hop in the main stream right now is OutKast and maybe JayZ and Nas to lesser extent. [/rant]
Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 23:51   Link #118
Devin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final
The OP made me want to vomit. I'm sorry but I don't like the broken english rap the only group that really has made it work is Zap Mamma. I'd prefer to just hear some Japanese rapping over the beats or just some lyrics like the ending.

other then that the show banged. The whole mood was dope. Starting with "This show is fictional. However, there are some parts that portray actual history..." then it goes on to say, "Just shut your mouth and watch it." Mugen is hard, more then just a dumb thug, but being stupid works for him like this run on sentence does for me. Jin is old school, I don't need to say any more. Fuu is cute and who ever said it was right... This show reeks of Blade of the Immortal. but I like how dark and grimy the show is.

I think I'm gonna puke on the person that says, "I normally don't like hip hop." STFU most people don't know what real hip hop is. Too many people confuse Top 40 rap for Hip Hop. If you don't know who The Roots, Mos Def, Common, Gang Star, The Lox, Company Flow, Reflection Eternal and Pharohe Monch are then you definatly are confusing the two. I can't say I don't like rock because the only things I have to measure it up to is Creed, Poison and Metalica. The only real Hip Hop in the main stream right now is OutKast and maybe JayZ and Nas to lesser extent. [/rant]
So critical of you, Final. Well i agree that those rappers you mentioned are talented and they stay underground. Reflection Eternal is no more though, now there's just Talib Kewli, and DJ H-tek does his own thing now i think. To add a few more talented and underground rappers, Rass Kass, Cormega, Planet Asia, and X-raided.

Anyway, to not stray from the topci, i still liked the Hip Hop from Samurai Champloo. I mean, you don't hear many Asian rappers out there, except for JIN, who might make it big here in the U.S.
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-22, 23:57   Link #119
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final

I didn't like the opening music either. But I have heard worse. EE Jump's Japanese pop rap thing. Ugh.

Quote:
Yep, and since the mangaka of Blade of the Immortal doesn't really want his work animated, this will have to do!

Quote:

The fact that you know of those bands are what make you a true hip-hop fan. I don't care for it, so how would I know the obscure, non Billboard groups? I don't know much about hip-hop because it doesn't interest me. I agree that most famous artists aren't the actual artists but the "stars" who have publicity potential.

I don't like hip-hop or rap, but I still like Samurai Champloo. (Though I wouldn't get ahead of myself and say its an amazing work just yet. Right now the story is generic but with good visuals.) I don't really like or know much about jazz either, but I still enjoyed Cowboy Bebop.
Old 2004-05-23, 00:02   Link #120
SassyRobot

Well I dont have much else to add since most things have already been mentioned...

The scratch thing was a neat transitition and didn't get TOO annoying since it wasn't used too much. I didn't mind it but i'm glad it wasn't over used.

I liked the art and thought it was stylish. I didn't think they were ugly, but i did notice the sometimes nasty teeth.

Oh and i'm not too sure about that flying squirrel thing either....

I watched the raw so i didn't really know what was being said, but i still enjoyed it. It seems pretty cool! i hope it doesn't start to slip ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by metachronism
For those of you wondering, "champloo" is an okinawan stir fry--probably hinting at the amalgamation of Edo-era Japan and the present-day Japan in the show. You'll notice that they intentionally mix modern slang with historical language of the era, and some of the people are dressed...eh... strangely .

Mugen is from "Ry?ky?" which is the old name of Okinawa (actually, it's the name of the kingdom that existed there that was independent of Japan). That's why he's dressed funny (well, ok, it's a little exaggerated in the show) and his capricious attitude doesn't "fit in" with the rest of the Edo folks.

BTW, I love the caustic humor in this show

--meta
ah so that's what 'champloo' means i was wondering about that thanks for that info
SassyRobot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, historical