AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 46 52.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 27.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 14.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.14%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-13, 13:10   Link #61
CWW
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lahfielxi View Post
most people don't get flustered by their little sister's matured bodies bouncing on top of them, blush, and go to sleep on a couch instead.
They don't? It's a pretty normal reaction, really, for a young man.
Old 2011-05-13, 13:18   Link #62
lahfielxi
wut wut~

Send a message via AIM to lahfielxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
They don't? It's a pretty normal reaction, really, for a young man.
maybe in anime. real siblings have a natural aversion to being attracted to each other. disgust would be miles ahead of a flustered reaction, and i'd tell her to get off my bed.

point being you can't really have it both ways. either you see them as a girl/woman or a little sister, and jinta obviously sees her as the former.
Old 2011-05-13, 13:24   Link #63
CWW
Lurker

Flustered doesn't mean he's attracted. I'd be flustered too if a close relative showed his/her half-naked body and sat on top of me. Cover yourself up, man!
Old 2011-05-13, 13:55   Link #64
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Excellent episode. So much pain and confusion all round. Just like real life, but more entertaining.

No wonder this is 2channel's favorite of all this season's shows (~87,000 posts; Hanasaku Iroha, at ~76,000 is next). I can't figure out why Denpa Onna, in my mind a worthy successor to Bakemonogatari, isn't more popular (~16,000) but that's another matter.

Tsuruko is definitely great, in part due to her great lines, in part due to her fascinating attitude and obvious depth, and in large part due to how perfectly Hayami Saori is doing her voice. Real voice-acting.

Lots of excellent voice work here. From Irino Miyu as Jintan, from Sakurai Takahiro as Yukiatsu, from Tomatsu Haruka as Naruko. I'm even getting used to Kayano Ai as Menma, though she's still not as special as those first three. Same for Kondou Takayuki as Poppo.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2011-05-13, 14:16   Link #65
deadite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forget-me-not
Old 2011-05-13, 14:38   Link #66
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Also, proving Menma's presence isn't as easy as it sounds. Even if she can physically interact with the environment, common sense will work against her. She did a number of things in her family's household, but they assumed that someone else did it or that it was an accident. Either way, there's no way for the group to understand Menma without Jinta, physical presence or not.

The only way to prove that Menma exists would be if she could directly speak to them, but she can't. That leads to situations like Yukiatsu, who can lie and make assumptions on what Menma is saying, or Poppo, who apparently is bothered by the fact that he can't see or speak to Menma directly by himself.

Jinta feels the same way toward Menma as Anaru does toward Jinta. They don't know if they really "like" the person they have in mind. The audience may understand that they do, but in romantic relationships there are plenty of grey areas. What is the line that separates infatuation from actually liking someone? What about liking someone as their girl/boyfriend, but not wanting to get married? How much do you have to "like" someone to consider it true love?

They were kids. They were new to love. Since they're still growing, everyone still needs time to sort out their feelings. They're not going to have strong enough feelings to where they feel certain about it unless they're given time to grow. When teenagers are asked to give an answer on the spot, they're obviously not being given time to think about it seriously, so it's only natural that people like Jinta and Anaru get embarrassed.
She only did one thing at her house... open the door.

If she picked up a pencil write on it and hold the paper up in thin air, even the biggest skeptic would shit themselves. Or hell everyone can sit back and watch her make muffins again.
Old 2011-05-13, 15:30   Link #67
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

About the two friends: are they really that bad?

Saying they'd stop being friends wasn't nice, but I don't think it's meant to be taken seriously. And they seemed pretty glad that Anaru was going to get laid. Sure, it's not what Anaru wanted, but they didn't know that, did they? I mean, that's what they were here for. Maybe? Yet, the one who was going to be left out (unless they planned to share the remaining guy) seemed quite magnanimous.

Or maybe they're as naive as Anaru and thought the guys just wanted to have a romantic moonlit walk on a beach or something, and were glad for that.

Anyway, I think the problem isn't that they're bad persons, but that Anaru's resemblance with them is pretty superficial. They don't really want the same things, so, yeah, that kind of incident was going to happen sooner or later. But they didn't mean any harm.
Old 2011-05-13, 15:39   Link #68
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

The term in question is indeed One Piece the anime. It's actually most obvious when the guy first mentioned it:

「ワンピース見ないとだし」

You don't really "watch" a one-piece dress or whatever it's translated into. And yeah, on top of that, the other guy said it should be the day after the next day, so.

Anyway, nice execution. Just nice execution. Even though I already said it before, I'm saying this again: this show brings you no surprise. It's plain, it's simple, but yet it's powerful (sounding like my company's catch phrase now ) No, the relationships between the characters aren't really that complicated. They are simple enough to comprehend. This show is all about execution, and they have been doing a god-like job at it. Please, please, keep it up for the rest of the show and it will end up as one of my favorites of all time.

By the way, Anaru mentioned Jinta looking like Yama-chan of Hey! Say! JUMP if he took care of his hair, I was like err, okay...

In case you wonder how Yama-chan looks like:

Old 2011-05-13, 16:06   Link #69
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmanure View Post
Mentally she's nine and is a known crybaby. Pretty justified and consistent.
I never said otherwise. My problem with Menma crying every episode is that it lessens the emotional impact of those kind of scenes. If they keep throwing that in every episode, by the end of the anime, it won't do anything for me anymore. I've already grown fairly numb to it. The first time she cried, it hit me like a ton of bricks... when she did so in this episode, I didn't even give it any second thoughts. It's becoming a normal occurrence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Also, proving Menma's presence isn't as easy as it sounds. Even if she can physically interact with the environment, common sense will work against her. She did a number of things in her family's household, but they assumed that someone else did it or that it was an accident. Either way, there's no way for the group to understand Menma without Jinta, physical presence or not.
What if she ate food in front of everybody, as Poppo already asked her to twice now? It'd be very hard to find a reasonable explanation to food disappearing out of thin air. Making her presence known is ridiculously easy for her. She could even communicate with everybody using notepad. I think that's another reason the final scene of this episode left me cold.
Old 2011-05-13, 16:23   Link #70
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I never said otherwise. My problem with Menma crying every episode is that it lessens the emotional impact of those kind of scenes. If they keep throwing that in every episode, by the end of the anime, it won't do anything for me anymore. I've already grown fairly numb to it. The first time she cried, it hit me like a ton of bricks... when she did so in this episode, I didn't even give it any second thoughts. It's becoming a normal occurrence.

What if she ate food in front of everybody, as Poppo already asked her to twice now? It'd be very hard to find a reasonable explanation to food disappearing out of thin air. Making her presence known is ridiculously easy for her. She could even communicate with everybody using notepad. I think that's another reason the final scene of this episode left me cold.
Again, how do you explain the fact that only Jinta can directly see and hear Menma? With all the nuances and emotions that come with visible facial expressions and speech, writing does not solve the problem that Menma cannot communicate directly to the other Super Peace Busters the same way she can talk to Jinta. Also, what if more drama arises and one of them is upset enough to leave? Do you expect them to wait for Menma with her grade school knowledge to finish writing soon enough to calm them down?

Poppo already assumes that ghost Menma exists. However, even he's showing now that he has a problem being unable to see or hear her. Do you think seeing an invisible force cook muffins or write will solve that problem?
Old 2011-05-13, 16:25   Link #71
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
About the two friends: are they really that bad?

Saying they'd stop being friends wasn't nice, but I don't think it's meant to be taken seriously. And they seemed pretty glad that Anaru was going to get laid. Sure, it's not what Anaru wanted, but they didn't know that, did they? I mean, that's what they were here for. Maybe? Yet, the one who was going to be left out (unless they planned to share the remaining guy) seemed quite magnanimous.

Or maybe they're as naive as Anaru and thought the guys just wanted to have a romantic moonlit walk on a beach or something, and were glad for that.

Anyway, I think the problem isn't that they're bad persons, but that Anaru's resemblance with them is pretty superficial. They don't really want the same things, so, yeah, that kind of incident was going to happen sooner or later. But they didn't mean any harm.
I guess I'd put it this way - I've yet to see anything from them to indicate they aren't that bad, and they're certainly bad for Anaru. The "us or them" nonsense, the verbal abuse of Jintan... And I certainly don't think it's likely they didn't know it was enjou kosai. They come off as typically catty, shallow and manipulative teens. Not bad people, maybe, but Anaru needs them out of her life.
Old 2011-05-13, 16:42   Link #72
Kokoru Asami
*Graphic Designer

So far this show has been hitting a home run.....every episode!
If this keeps at it, its bound to be a masterpiece (to me).
The characters are so real and its nice how so much attention has been paid to detail.
Old 2011-05-13, 16:55   Link #73
CWW
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
If it were that easy, wouldn't you think this phenomenon would have been discovered elsewhere ages ago? Or do you honestly believe Menma is the first of its kind? Like I said before, trying to use science to prove her existence is folly. For all we know, all the physical items she's been interacting with are only visible through the eyes of Jinta and us viewers. The door? Could have been the wind. Sense of weight? Maybe that's the extent of her ability to interact with the living world. It's not like she's dropping her actual physical weight on the person's shoulders. She. Is. Not. Real. Common sense doesn't apply.

What's more relevant, and frankly a brilliant move on their part, is that because we see Menma interact with various persons and items, she becomes more than a mere supernatural phenomenon. She becomes a real human character to us viewers, instead of a floating, gaseous, transparent, Casper-like substance that shouldn't have to abide by the laws of the physical world. It requires a level of suspension of disbelief, but to be honest, in a character-driven show, this style of execution works better than if she were able to move through walls, give off a glow and whatnot.

It's a matter of preference.
Old 2011-05-13, 16:58   Link #74
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

We all get to see Anaru's "friends" in our own way, but I think we are being directed to see them as shallow, loose, manipulative, fairly nasty "gals," who are dragging Anaru with them down a dead end. The only plus so far is girl#2 not objecting to Anaru getting her guy. That surprised me.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2011-05-13, 17:49   Link #75
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I guess I'd put it this way - I've yet to see anything from them to indicate they aren't that bad, and they're certainly bad for Anaru. The "us or them" nonsense, the verbal abuse of Jintan... And I certainly don't think it's likely they didn't know it was enjou kosai. They come off as typically catty, shallow and manipulative teens. Not bad people, maybe, but Anaru needs them out of her life.
Probably all true. My point is, theirs may be a self-destructive life, but they were and are willing to share it with Anaru. How are they to know it's not her desire? Anaru certainly spent a considerable amount of time and effort to fit in with them. She still looks like them.

It's like the old joke: "A friend will bail you out in the morning. A real friend will be right next to you, saying "Dude! That was awesome"." Now, of course, the kind of friend you actually need is the one who won't pull you into stupid shit in the first place. And I'm not claiming that the girls are anything more than fair weather friends to Anaru, ready to ditch her if she really becomes too boring. But still, maybe in their own way, they're being nice to her.
Old 2011-05-13, 17:51   Link #76
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
I feel really bad for Yukiatsu..with the hairpin part and all. It made me feel..I dunno. Empty?
Old 2011-05-13, 18:38   Link #77
charizardpal
灼眼の

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
It's a recurring question and "plot device" tends to be the common answer. Something very close has been done in this episode though: Menma communicating to one of her friends (Yukiatsu) using Jintan as "medium", telling things only she and the other person could know.
But there's one flaw: Tsuruko also has the original hair pin and therefore know about its significance. In other words, its still possible Tsuruko knew about the hair pin, and somehow this information got passed on to a hallucinating Jinta. If not for this it'd be clear that she existed as a ghost.

「心でなくちゃ、よく見えない。もののなかみは、目では見えない、ってこと。」
Old 2011-05-13, 18:47   Link #78
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's like the old joke: "A friend will bail you out in the morning. A real friend will be right next to you, saying "Dude! That was awesome"." Now, of course, the kind of friend you actually need is the one who won't pull you into stupid shit in the first place. And I'm not claiming that the girls are anything more than fair weather friends to Anaru, ready to ditch her if she really becomes too boring. But still, maybe in their own way, they're being nice to her.
See, I'm of the philosophy that the true friend is the one who comes and bails you out in the morning, and the guy in there with you may or may not be a friend, but he's definitely an idiot.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-05-13, 19:02   Link #79
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Oh wait, the episode is over? NOOOOO! I'd have to say, that feeling is what makes a show outstanding to me.

Hah, it seems they'll never let Yukiatsu over this, nor will Jintan forgive him for a while about raining him with tears. As expected Crossdresser had feelings for Menma and he could never get past it. But hey, at least he's doing well in other parts in life.

Anaru, escaping in fake friends and pressured by shady guys. That's gonna take a while to fix too. Yukiatsu tries to regain some credibility and partially succeeds. But we'll never forget Manma.

And we really have to wonder why Menma only appears to Jintan. Surely Jintan could never have know about the hairclip, so Menma must be some kind of presence. It's a bit frustrating for both him and Menma.

And man, these people are a messed up bunch. One might wonder why nobody's seen a shrink, but there definitely is a huge stigma concerning mental issues. One wouldn't hesitate to see a doctor if one's arm was broken, or they weren't feeling well elsewhere, but when it comes to issues of the brain, suddenly people can't see it like that. If something is wrong with you, then something is wrong with you, but it seems people with mental issues tend to be sterotyped as "defective". And nobody wants to be seen as that, so they try everything in their power to act normal and hide the problem under the rug. Or wait til its dark and jump around in a little girls' dress.

I lol'd about Naraku commenting on Jintan fixing his hair; he really should.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-05-13, 19:42   Link #80
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
I like crossdresser... Every character's rating just keep on rising, really.