AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-30, 17:04   Link #161
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Does this one take place in a school by any chance?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 20:10   Link #162
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Does this one take place in a school by any chance?
Doesn't appear Ao even goes to school (probably does). But even in the previous E7 series, Renton is only in school for like the first episode before going off to adventure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I would even add: wut?

Seriously, what?
Hmm I think what he might mean is that knowledge of such situation can help. Like in Gundam 00, it was the middle east type area that was frelled with war. So there must be some references or plot happenings with the Earth instead of random no-name lands.
Old 2012-01-31, 00:10   Link #163
aardvark

Takeda likes to bring up politics a lot.

For example, he probably had quite of input into the politics of Blood+, and perhaps the original E7 as well. He mostly referenced the Palestinian/Israeli conflict in regards to the worldview of the original Eureka Seven
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 05:22   Link #164
Grim_Reaper

Well, personally I don't think that the first chapter was horrible. I'd like to see what will come out of it.
And I got some RahXephon vibes from it, is it strange?
Grim_Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 02:48   Link #165
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Started a manga thread for anyone who would care to continue discussion over there...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 09:38   Link #166
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Bringing real world context into creative work is always a good thing, it enriches the story and settings.

Even in the original series of Eureka 7, the whole story and world was built up from the hippie movement.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 12:31   Link #167
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
http://gigazine.net/news/20120131-se...ss-forum-2012/

MBS Producer Seiji Takeda confirms that the main character in E7AO is the son of Renton and Eureka. He also comments that he feels the story of the show will benefit from being inspired by the current awareness regarding American troop movements and the political situation in Iran. Lol?
My mind, I'm losing it. Bones is dead.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 12:41   Link #168
Ledgem
Love Yourself

One of the things that I really liked about anime compared with most western entertainment forms was the way that things ended. Series were generally not drawn out, there were no endless sequels or prequels. A franchise ended, there was a sort of closure, and then we could expect to have something totally new.

I really enjoyed Eureka Seven, so I'd be lying if I said that I'm not looking forward to this. All the same, recently it seems like a number of series franchises are being revived in some form, whether by sequels or remakes. I hope it's not the start of a new trend.
Old 2012-02-01, 13:13   Link #169
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
My mind, I'm losing it. Bones is dead.
Please explain to me why this is a bad and unworkable premise by default.

Or is this a situation kind of like the one Gundam is in these days where people seem to be against whatever it's trying to do just because and refuse to even entertain the notion of giving the staff a chance with whatever it is they are trying to do? This apparent trend of deciding that a show and it's premise is automatically bad before it's even had a chance to get underway is getting pretty silly. I'd expect that sort of thing from 4Chan, but not Animesuki. People could actually just watch the show and then if they find actual things to criticize it over come here and talk about them. They'd probably be taken a lot more seriously for it too.

For example I'm not too keen on the idea of a new Star Driver, but I'll give it a shot anyway and if it sucks and wastes time like I felt the TV series did then I'll address it in a post, but if it's actually good and entertaining then I don't want to totally condemn it and close myself off to the possibility of enjoying it before I've had the chance to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
One of the things that I really liked about anime compared with most western entertainment forms was the way that things ended. Series were generally not drawn out, there were no endless sequels or prequels. A franchise ended, there was a sort of closure, and then we could expect to have something totally new.

I really enjoyed Eureka Seven, so I'd be lying if I said that I'm not looking forward to this. All the same, recently it seems like a number of series franchises are being revived in some form, whether by sequels or remakes. I hope it's not the start of a new trend.
I'm thinking it is a trend. I think that the anime industry might think it's the quickest possible way to get back the demographic that has been largely ignored for a few years now except in the OVA and Movie department. That section of the fandom that isn't necessarily all that interested in fluffy high school life stories, 12 episode light/visual novel adaptations that gives only chunks of a story at a time and...I have no other way to put this so sorry if it offends...pandering fanservicey romantic comedies.

So far I count Last Exile, Space Battleship Yamato, Eureka Seven, Aquarion, Code Geass and Votoms as among the series revivals of late so if we suddenly see a new Getter Robo or Mazinger Project I think will know a Renaissance is officially on again for older style sci-fi/mecha anime. By the way I'd argue there was one back in 2007, but it died off pretty quickly midway into 2008.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-02-01 at 13:31.
Old 2012-02-01, 13:18   Link #170
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Since Eureka 7 is a mecha, it follows a special trend, the SRW trend. Super Robot Wars is a game that mixes alot of mecha anime into one story and is basically the highest fanservice and most effective advertisement for mecha anime studios. Reaching out to diehard mecha fans like myself and introducing us to more mecha anime.

Everytime SRW features a new series in the lineup of a new game, there's a chance it will be followed by a sequel if not just toys. Notable examples includes Choja Reideen, Dancougar Nova, Gaiking, Evangelion movies, Top wo Nerae!2, you can even include Gundam, Mazinger and Getter Robo.

Eureka 7 has appeared twice in 2 years of SRW as well as ACE3, bringing back its popularity enough to produce a few Robo Damashii figures and this sequel. Aquarion EVOL is also the direct result of this, it appeared in the same 2 SRWs that Eureka 7 did, as well as ACE:R.

Last edited by C.A.; 2012-02-01 at 13:28.
Old 2012-02-01, 13:42   Link #171
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Since Eureka 7 is a mecha, it follows a special trend, the SRW trend. Super Robot Wars is a game that mixes alot of mecha anime into one story and is basically the highest fanservice and most effective advertisement for mecha anime studios. Reaching out to diehard mecha fans like myself and introducing us to more mecha anime.

Everytime SRW features a new series in the lineup of a new game, there's a chance it will be followed by a sequel if not just toys. Notable examples includes Choja Reideen, Dancougar Nova, Gaiking, Evangelion movies, Top wo Nerae!2, you can even include Gundam, Mazinger and Getter Robo.

Eureka 7 has appeared twice in 2 years of SRW as well as ACE3, bringing back its popularity enough to produce a few Robo Damashii figures and this sequel. Aquarion EVOL is also the direct result of this, it appeared in the same 2 SRWs that Eureka 7 did, as well as ACE:R.
I don't think you can include Gundam and Mazinger since they're just always around regardless of any other factor, but maybe you can include Getter Robo. We haven't had a new entry in the Getter Saga since 2004, which is starting to feel like a really long time ago.

Although here's a question, since King Gainer and Big O's popularity seem to have taken off in a huge way again after Super Robot Wars Z does that mean we might be in store for a revival at some point? Both shows just kind of ended inconclusively with the crew walking off into the distance and the cast walking off the set of Paradigm City respectively so I don't see any reason why it couldn't work. They could have a King Gainer that's about exploring the Land of Yapan and maybe they uncover a whole new set of Overmen that sparks a new conflict and for Big O they can just have it take place in a new setting or possibly a new Paradigm where everybodies memories have been revived and the conflict is about something else.
Old 2012-02-01, 13:48   Link #172
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
I don't think you can include Gundam and Mazinger since they're just always around regardless of any other factor, but maybe you can include Getter Robo. We haven't had a new entry in the Getter Saga since 2004, which is starting to feel like a really long time ago.

Although here's a question, since King Gainer and Big O's popularity seem to have taken off in a huge way again after Super Robot Wars Z does that mean we might be in store for a revival at some point? Both shows just kind of ended inconclusively with the crew walking off into the distance and the cast walking off the set of Paradigm City respectively so I don't see any reason why it couldn't work. They could have a King Gainer that's about exploring the Land of Yapan and maybe they uncover a whole new set of Overmen that sparks a new conflict and for Big O they can just have it take place in a new setting or possibly a new Paradigm where everybodies memories have been revived and the conflict is about something else.
Its hard to get Tomino to do things lol, not sure if he's interested in more King Gainer. Not sure if Cartoon Network still wants to sponsor more Big O as well.

Gundam probably can keep pushing itself, but Mazinger seems hard to appeal to young audience though. It would need a true miracle in Z2.2 to bring us the Shin Mazinger sequel that's gone.

Old 2012-02-01, 14:27   Link #173
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Well I won't be keeping up with this series, I've only read the first chapter and know next to nothing about the story so far, but my mind is made up. Also anyone who thinks this is gonna turn out good is naive.

/sarcasm

Srsly if you didn't like this, don't show your face on this thread again. I'm sick and tired of a show being condemned after the first chapter/episode only to have the people who hate it continually post about how bad it is week after week, if you don't like it don't read it!

Last edited by ttdestroy; 2012-02-01 at 14:27. Reason: clarity
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 14:38   Link #174
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdestroy View Post
Srsly if you didn't like this, don't show your face on this thread again. I'm sick and tired of a show being condemned after the first chapter/episode only to have the people who hate it continually post about how bad it is week after week, if you don't like it don't read it!
While I agree that people shouldn't be so quick to judge, I don't think you can blame people for expressing disappointment. If you're a big fan of a particular series, you have high expectations for sequels or related projects. If they fall flat, it's almost like the memory of the original has been defaced. For this particular series, I'm sure that a lot of people would love it if it were its own thing and removed most of its obvious links to Eureka Seven. Because it is a sequel that builds off of the original (perhaps in a somewhat stretched manner), expectations and perceptions change.
Old 2012-02-01, 16:38   Link #175
Xagzan

Well I think I'll be waiting for the anime, but all I have to say so far from reading others' comments is that I hope it doesn't blow, or make no sense in the continuity (assuming it doesn't end up AU or something).
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 18:52   Link #176
Alchemist007
*Author

Honestly these types of series do take a while to really take off, so I'm cutting the first few bits some slack.
Old 2012-02-01, 19:27   Link #177
Jarmel

Quote:
Please explain to me why this is a bad and unworkable premise by default.

Or is this a situation kind of like the one Gundam is in these days where people seem to be against whatever it's trying to do just because and refuse to even entertain the notion of giving the staff a chance with whatever it is they are trying to do? This apparent trend of deciding that a show and it's premise is automatically bad before it's even had a chance to get underway is getting pretty silly. I'd expect that sort of thing from 4Chan, but not Animesuki. People could actually just watch the show and then if they find actual things to criticize it over come here and talk about them. They'd probably be taken a lot more seriously for it too.

For example I'm not too keen on the idea of a new Star Driver, but I'll give it a shot anyway and if it sucks and wastes time like I felt the TV series did then I'll address it in a post, but if it's actually good and entertaining then I don't want to totally condemn it and close myself off to the possibility of enjoying it before I've had the chance to see
First off mythologically nothing in the series makes sense and there are contradictions as well. How is the Nirvash magically normal again? Why are they using a regular calendar? Why does Eureka not have her wings? What happened to the adopted kids. Nothing matches the original series. That article implies that most of the action will be focused in Okinawa via the Iran comment which screams Star Driver over again. This just seems like a complete mess.
Old 2012-02-01, 19:47   Link #178
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
First off mythologically nothing in the series makes sense and there are contradictions as well. How is the Nirvash magically normal again? Why are they using a regular calendar? Why does Eureka not have her wings? What happened to the adopted kids. Nothing matches the original series. That article implies that most of the action will be focused in Okinawa via the Iran comment which screams Star Driver over again. This just seems like a complete mess.
Well the way I see it you have two options. You can watch and see what their explanation is and decide if its satisfactory or total retconning BS or you can just never give it a chance and presume that its a total failure. I guarantee that the former approach will get you taken more seriously but that the latter will probably serve your personal interest better.

Though what does any of what was mentioned in that article have to do with star driver besides the setting? Star drivers problem wasn't that it took place on an island it was that almost every plotline it tried to start never went anywhere and that there was next to no continuity between episodes despite it ostensibly being a serial and not episodic.
Old 2012-02-01, 19:54   Link #179
Jarmel

Quote:
Well the way I see it you have two options. You can watch and see what their explanation is and decide if its satisfactory or total retconning BS or you can just never give it a chance and presume that its a total failure. I guarantee that the former approach will get you taken more seriously but that the latter will probably serve your personal interest better.

Though what does any of what was mentioned in that article have to do with star driver besides the setting? Star drivers problem wasn't that it took place on an island it was that almost every plotline it tried to start never went anywhere and that there was next to no continuity between episodes despite it ostensibly being a serial and not episodic.
I'll see this through just due to my love of the original series but nothing is striking me with confidence or even hope that the writers know what they're doing.

When I refer to Star Driver I mean all the action taking place in an isolated environment. From what we saw in the first chapter it seems to be going the route of monster-of-the-week just like Star Driver. The idea of an outside force ruining this isolated paradise only got re-inforced by that Iran comment. It doesn't take a genius to know who is Iran in the manga and who is the US and which side is portrayed as good and which as bad.
Old 2012-02-01, 19:54   Link #180
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Star drivers problem wasn't that it took place on an island it was that almost every plotline it tried to start never went anywhere and that there was next to no continuity between episodes despite it ostensibly being a serial and not episodic.
Which plotline is that? They handled everything out.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen