Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-05-03, 12:09   Link #81
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoiBoy
I do all the audio editing in Sony's Vegas Video. The original mono track is actually still there most of the time. If there is dialog, I have to use it and simply add to it. If there is no dialog, I can completely replace the audio.

When dialog and music are present together, I mix the stereo music on top to mask out the mono music. This can get tricky! ^_^

I did a bit of FX work like the birds, wind, reverb and "shoujo sprinkles." ^_^

The FX I add come from either an FX library or samples from the show. The music comes from the OST CDs.

If time permits, I'll do more extensive audio work as I become more familiar with the show.
That's an awesome attempt! This series (and all other Sailor Moon series) just deserves it.

The only thing I'm confused about is the FX insertion you're doing. Those FX are "remastered" versions of the original or are you adding extra FX that weren't in the original audio?

As for your Captain Harlock's releases, I wasn't aware of the similiar remasterization you made; one more good reason for me to download it. ^^

What's more interesting is that I'm not the only one to do such a "remasterization" on a fansub's audio afterall. I once used Touch's first episode release by Baka MX & Meisei for a personal test. I used the OST I had downloaded and mixed it with the fansub's "no treble audio". It was tricky as hell! But it did sound better. It was for personal use, though.

Even more interesting is that I just thinking the other day of planning to do a similar thing with the "Idol Densetsu Eriko" raws I was going to sub.

Good luck with the rest of Sailor Stars' remasterization.
Old 2006-05-03, 18:38   Link #82
YaoiBoy
[Live-eviL] Naughty Boy
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to YaoiBoy
The sound effects are a mix of old and new. For instance, in episode 167 the birds and other ambient sounds were all new. The on-screen FX, with a few exceptions, were all from the show. I try to use as must original stuff as I can. Captain Harlock is also a mix of old and new sounds.

I did discover that the system used to mix the 5.1 track for 167 was not callibrated properly. As a result, a few of the channels (notably the surrounds) were out of balance. If you had a lot of reverb in 167, that would be why. This will be fixed in future episodes. Sorry for the mixup and thanks to those who pointed out the issue. I promise that I will get better! ^_^

168 is progressing well. This time we'll have a more polished mix with SFX in addtition to the music.

Thanks so much!
YaoiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-06, 03:42   Link #83
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoiBoy
168 is progressing well. This time we'll have a more polished mix with SFX in addtition to the music.
Is it possible to add some bass as well? Good luck.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 17:00   Link #84
Da Games Elite

I downloaded the bunch of episodes in one go (167-172) on uTorrent, but I can't view it. It says it can't open the file. Can someone explain what I'm screwing up on?
Da Games Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-12, 11:37   Link #85
leona_senshi

Send a message via MSN to leona_senshi Send a message via Yahoo to leona_senshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzurial
I was confused too. They are guys, but when they transform theyre girls. Someone explained it to me a while ago. Something about when they transform, they go into their past lives when they were...girls. Sounded viable enough for me

nop, you better go back and read again, it's not that they go to their past lives, the just turn into females, just accept it!
leona_senshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-12, 15:36   Link #86
leona_senshi

Send a message via MSN to leona_senshi Send a message via Yahoo to leona_senshi
Ok I was bored and starded to read the thread here.

I saw some one puts their 2 cents so let me place a lot of nicles....

Since I lived in Mexico, Sailor moon aired here muchhhh earlier than in the
US, althoug I have to admit that the translation and also the story was
changed in about 35% of the whole series, back in jan 1999 a local TV
station in Mexico (TV azteca) aired the Last episode of sailor moon (200) so
I was able to see the whole series before ep 38 air in the Us, after that I
became a sailor moon freak, and my favorate season is prescisly sailor moon
SuperS (the second part: neherenias comeback wich is already considered as
sailor stars) and the last Saga, I was able to see the series like 4 times
so I got my hands on the manga and dicovered a lot of things, apart from
investigating from oficial sources from Mrs Takeuchi about a lot of sailor
moon issues, but I would like to share all my years of understanding of a
lot of things that appear in the anime and the manga, so please take in mind
that sailor moon has 2 diferent stories, and as far as I'm concernd if you
want to make sence of a lot of things in the anime comparing it to the
manga, it ain't gonna happen.

Ok these are practitly the most popular issues in discution:

1.- are the sailor stars gay, trasnvest., in discuise, or are
hermafrodite....

Manga: The sairlor stars ARE GIRLS, they came to earth searching for
their princess, but just dress like guys becuase it's like some one else
already said that it was more acceptable for a male to be searching for a
princess ON EARTH, not in their home planet.
Anime: Almoust the same thing as the manga, but like order of things,
you can't be sailor if you are a guy, so they just turn back into girls.
let's look at it this way:
you loose a princess, you know that she probably is on earth, since you're a
girl, it's gonna be hard to get any attention to be helped in looking for a
very important person specialy if their not from earth, What to do to find
her faster and with a lot of help without actually asking directly for it?
"turn" into a guy, since a lot of people in this case girls fall for a great
pop group what better way to get a record deal and with a good hit, turn
superstar, make a lot of concerts and the more popular you get, the more
chances of your princess to hear you either on the radio or on TV with your
secret calling in your songs, don't you think she's gonna go: " oh! there
they are!" makes sense to me they way they maneged it.

2.- what's up with Haruka and Michiru? lesbis? friends? cousins?

Manga: In the manga THEY ARE lesbians, although Haruka likes to dress like a guy, let's say that he's the guy of the relation ship while Michiru is the feminant one, and yes, you can see that haruka DID kiss Usagi a little while after they met, the manga points that Haruka kinda has the hots for Usagi in a certain way, but always stays with Michiru.
Anime: It was not very clear, wheather they had a relation ship or not, the somethime look like a couple but then some times they seem like really really close friends, so the animators left that to the audience to decide. but Haruka could be considered like a tomboy in her regular self, in one epidose when Rei was spending a lot of time with her, Nicholas got jelous and thought that haruka was indeed a man, challenging her to give up on Rei becuase he was in love with her, so his surprise, Rei tells him that Haruka is just a girl, but once she transforms into a sailor, she's very feminant, that's something that Naoko wanted the animators to leave in the anime.

3.- Is Seiya a guy or a girl for those of you that wonder why he/she has the hots for Usagi.

Manga: Since Seiya is a Girl, it's obvious that she's a lesbi, we tend to see a lot of lesbianisim in sailor moon, although Naoko doesn't present that it's a bad thing in the story, and we need to say that in Japan, being GAY is not as rejected or seen as bad as in other countries like in the US, Japan accepts a lot of GAY people so Naoko just addid a little bit of that acceptance in her mangas.
Anime: Since we tend to see that seiya normally hits on Usagi while in his guy form, it's the same thing, as in the manga BUT they don't openly want to present that in the anime. So yes.. Usagi has been kissed twice by lesbians, but she's not a lesbian, so she doesn't take it seriously.

4.- Did Mamoru really die at the end becuase he's never seen thru out the last saga?

Manga: Mamoru DOES die, but it was not until Sailor moon Reached Galaxia and had to kill him personally, he was just like Galaxias sailors under control, the only way to save them was to kill them in a sort of way...
Anime: same thing except that Sailor moon discovers it when she's in the last fight with Galaxia that she notices Mamorus Seed.

And just one last thing but only in the Manga:

did Mamoru and Usagi "DO IT" .......

YES! at the end, after a long 1000 year journey back to earth after defiting Galaxia, they arrive reborne and well.. after 1000 years of traveling, they couldn't wait anymore, so yea they DID IT, that's when Mamoru tells Usagi to marry her. a few days later, they marry and Usagi says in the mittle of it all when she looks at Mamoru and you see a glare shine she says "A new star is born" that's just her saying that she Pregnant, you guest it... Chibi-Usa.

I think this is enogh for now.

In my opinion, I Loved the Manga much much more than the anime, the anime is great but the manga is a 5 star story.
leona_senshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-09, 08:03   Link #87
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Live-Evil has released episode 168 of Sailor Moon (ep 02 of Stars). Since no one has posted any comments on this, I decided to take the initiative:

Comparing it with 'FoT & A-Works' release, Live-Evil's image isn't as sharp. What was the raw used?

This is not a rant, this is more a curious technical question, since I like to analize videos. In fact, it's great that there is more than one fansub group working on this series. This way, there's a smaller chance of being dropped by everyone.
Old 2006-07-09, 09:48   Link #88
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Send a message via AIM to gumbaloom Send a message via Yahoo to gumbaloom
You're not exactly comparing like for like comparing xvid against h264. If you wish to draw comparisons kindly compare h264 against h264 please.

-gumbaloom
gumbaloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-09, 10:04   Link #89
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbaloom
You're not exactly comparing like for like comparing xvid against h264. If you wish to draw comparisons kindly compare h264 against h264 please.

-gumbaloom
I just compared the sharpness and asked about the raw used, I didn't say it was better or worse than 'FoT & A-Works' video... I didn't make a judgement. You don't have to be so defensive.

Although I did fail to check the video codecs used, that's besides the point, because sharpness isn't 100% related to the codec used.

Personally, what I thought was the raw wasn't DVD and was LD instead. There was nothing else implied in my statement...
Old 2006-07-09, 11:00   Link #90
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Send a message via AIM to gumbaloom Send a message via Yahoo to gumbaloom
Raw source was DVD's.

I own R through Stars on Region 2's.

h264 does make a difference on sharpness. I can see the difference myself. I'm not the worlds best encoder and I take advice from others within L-E about how best to filter video.

But in all honesty I care not for whether my encodes are that extra 5% sharper. These are not meant to replace buying the original Region 2 DVD's. As long as its watchable without heavy pixellation or very noticeable artefacts then all is good. If I want to be a quality whore I'll just pop a DVD in the drive :E.

-gumbaloom
PS By comparing sharpness you were making a judgement :P. Oh and I wasn't being defensive. Merely asking that if people wish to draw comparisons on encode quality that they compare the right version
gumbaloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-09, 15:42   Link #91
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Quote:
Raw source was DVD's.
Thank you.

Quote:
But in all honesty I care not for whether my encodes are that extra 5% sharper.
Actually, what I meant was the opposite, but ok.

Quote:
These are not meant to replace buying the original Region 2 DVD's.
Of course, absolutely.

Quote:
By comparing sharpness you were making a judgement :P.
Maybe I expressed myself wrong (english isn't my 1st language ). When I said judgement, I meant ranting, like "L-E encoding is worse that FoT's", thus, in a negative way.

Quote:
As long as its watchable without heavy pixellation or very noticeable artefacts then all is good. If I want to be a quality whore I'll just pop a DVD in the drive :E.
I never mentioned pixelization. On that aspect, your encode is probably better than FoT's. (Ok, now I made a judgement. )

Quote:
Oh and I wasn't being defensive. Merely asking that if people wish to draw comparisons on encode quality that they compare the right version
OK, then the misunderstanding is cleared. I wished not to critisize you.
Old 2006-07-09, 20:11   Link #92
Sakuya
*Artist

It's a good mix I guess. I'll have to see how it does in the next few action-packed episodes. Keep it up!
Old 2006-07-09, 22:58   Link #93
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I remember watching this about 5 years back. Arguably the best series in the sailor moon saga.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 06:16   Link #94
jennyno1
detective academy Q rocks

i just wan't to ask is sailor moon the first series licensed cause i wanna start watching it cause i saw abit of it in china a long time ago and i just remembered the name please awnser!!
jennyno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 14:57   Link #95
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyno1
i just wan't to ask is sailor moon the first series licensed cause i wanna start watching it cause i saw abit of it in china a long time ago and i just remembered the name please awnser!!
The first season of Sailor Moon was licensed by ADV Films but I believe the license expired.
Old 2006-07-25, 02:42   Link #96
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

• Seasons one and two (Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R) were licensed by ADV.
  • Seasons three and four (Sailor Moon S and Sailor Moon SuperS) were licensed by Geneon USA.
  • Season five (Sailor Stars) was never licensed.
The Japanese producers refused to renew the licenses for seasons 1-4 because they disliked the US version so badly. It is unlikely that season 5 will ever become licensed as a result.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-25, 14:26   Link #97
Laharu
mao de makai

Send a message via AIM to Laharu Send a message via MSN to Laharu
Sailor Moon has always been a little...ambiguous. But I liked this series >_> Probably one of the better ones yet.
Laharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-05, 15:39   Link #98
Oniyuri

This was techinically the first anime I ever watched all the way. I have the last 3 seasons on fansub vhs.
Oniyuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-05, 16:08   Link #99
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
  • Seasons one and two (Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R) were licensed by ADV.
  • Seasons three and four (Sailor Moon S and Sailor Moon SuperS) were licensed by Geneon USA.
  • Season five (Sailor Stars) was never licensed.
The Japanese producers refused to renew the licenses for seasons 1-4 because they disliked the US version so badly. It is unlikely that season 5 will ever become licensed as a result.
lol that's so true, US version was terrible from what I saw with the voices and I hate the opening ~fighting evil by moonlight?, they didn't translate it and they changed it. thank god I didn't see the eps through the english dub version.

I found out the Sailor Stars I saw on TV was edited. in the version I saw they made it so the new people were actually females but that they just dress like guys to be popular/succesful in the music business and I'm guessing the transformation thing was edited since it's pretty much male->female. then I found they are actually guys in the jap version.
xxanimefan4_ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-10, 06:55   Link #100
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Garylisk Send a message via AIM to Garylisk Send a message via MSN to Garylisk Send a message via Yahoo to Garylisk
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxanimefan4_ever View Post
I found out the Sailor Stars I saw on TV was edited. in the version I saw they made it so the new people were actually females but that they just dress like guys to be popular/succesful in the music business and I'm guessing the transformation thing was edited since it's pretty much male->female. then I found they are actually guys in the jap version.
lol that's kind of weird, but nifty to know. I had always figured that if Stars even came out in America, it would get the same sort of treatment as you are describing up there. However, some episodes have scenes that would have to be cut out completely, such as the shower scene and following "towel grabbing" scene in epsiode 184.
Garylisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magical girl, shojo