AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-17, 13:18   Link #641
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Yuki bites Mikuru. Thrice.
Technically speaking, she did that after every instance of Mikuru gaining a new optical weapon. We simply only know of three. (and I'm pretty sure only one instance happens "on-screen")

That being said... Go, Vampire Yuki!
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-17, 13:44   Link #642
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

And they wonder why Mikuru is scared of Yuki.
Old 2009-08-17, 13:50   Link #643
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

It isn't Nagato's fault that Mikuru is presumably delicious. Heck, even Haruhi's nibbled on her.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-08-17, 18:17   Link #644
dnab
anime berkeley

Leaning on the Speculation side of this thread:

It's possible that Mikuru was engineered to be delicious.

It's possible that Mikuru is scared of Yuki for more fundamental reasons than 1) having been bitten, 2) apparent object of Kyon's affections.

It's possible that we won't know for sure the validities of aforementioned assumptions until late Second school year (when Mikuru's about to "graduate"). Hence until the release of these stories....

It's possible that one's free to Speculate along these lines until 2012 end of time
Old 2009-08-17, 22:38   Link #645
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnab View Post
If I had an internet to give you for that, I so would.
Old 2009-08-18, 03:53   Link #646
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnab View Post
I read something like this on the TVTropes WMG recently.
Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-22, 02:49   Link #647
Airman8
Helvetica Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
Also a/b being similar to Snow Mountain Syndrome makes the most sense, but its too easy. I think it isn't like the Haruhi series to reuse something like that.
Apologies for going so far back in the timeline of this thread, but I thought I'd mention one of my observations about this:

I think there is a very good chance a/b is similar to SMS. The way Tanigawa has previously structured the series, we often see a short story that preludes a later full length book. The first instance would be Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, which relates heavily to book 4.

We later see the Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru, which provides the basis for book 7, both in terms of her character development, the foundations of time travel (the young boy) and the mysterious adversaries.

In a roundabout way we even got this in the anime, as the short story of The Adventures of Mikuru Ep 00 set the stage for the school festival arc (providing the basis for the characters' daily school lives) and for the entirety of book 2, airing now.

Later, we see SMS, which introduces the abilities of the Sky Canopy Domain -control of reality and interference with Nagato- and Koizumi's alternate reality "save game" theory.

I wouldn't say in any of the non-book 9 cases that the series "re-used" the material, but rather developed it to a greater extent within the story.

tl;dr

Tanigawa seems to throw out and foreshadow little tidbits of ideas first before expanding on them in detail later on
Old 2009-08-22, 03:37   Link #648
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman8 View Post
Apologies for going so far back in the timeline of this thread, but I thought I'd mention one of my observations about this:

I think there is a very good chance a/b is similar to SMS. The way Tanigawa has previously structured the series, we often see a short story that preludes a later full length book. The first instance would be Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, which relates heavily to book 4.

We later see the Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru, which provides the basis for book 7, both in terms of her character development, the foundations of time travel (the young boy) and the mysterious adversaries.

In a roundabout way we even got this in the anime, as the short story of The Adventures of Mikuru Ep 00 set the stage for the school festival arc (providing the basis for the characters' daily school lives) and for the entirety of book 2, airing now.

Later, we see SMS, which introduces the abilities of the Sky Canopy Domain -control of reality and interference with Nagato- and Koizumi's alternate reality "save game" theory.

I wouldn't say in any of the non-book 9 cases that the series "re-used" the material, but rather developed it to a greater extent within the story.

tl;dr

Tanigawa seems to throw out and foreshadow little tidbits of ideas first before expanding on them in detail later on
Sorry, but Itsuki's "save game" theory is the same as every other thing that comes out of his mouth other than blatant exposition: a load of overblown crap probably intended as much to confuse, frustrate, and annoy Kyon as it is to fulfill Itsuki's need to hear himself prattle on inanely (no wonder the bastard's always smiling...).

α and β are just what they seem to be, which are divergent timelines caused by the timely phone call of one freshman fan of the SOS-dan, aka Slider-tan. Tanigawa does everything but explicitly spell it out, which I'm sure he'll have either Exposition Mode™ Itsuki, Yuki, or Slider-tan do come Volume 10, should it ever come out...
Old 2009-08-22, 06:55   Link #649
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Sorry, but Itsuki's "save game" theory is the same as every other thing that comes out of his mouth other than blatant exposition: a load of overblown crap probably intended as much to confuse, frustrate, and annoy Kyon as it is to fulfill Itsuki's need to hear himself prattle on inanely (no wonder the bastard's always smiling...).

α and β are just what they seem to be, which are divergent timelines caused by the timely phone call of one freshman fan of the SOS-dan, aka Slider-tan. Tanigawa does everything but explicitly spell it out, which I'm sure he'll have either Exposition Mode™ Itsuki, Yuki, or Slider-tan do come Volume 10, should it ever come out...
I wouldn't put it that harshly, but it's nice to see somebody take Itsuki's statements and theories with a grain of salt for a change. Some people treat them like unquestionable truths about the Haruhi universe(s) and its characters, whereas I've always tended to take it as strictly Itsuki's opinions - sure, they could be right; but they could also be completely wrong (and sometimes, may even be proven to be wrong).
Old 2009-08-22, 07:10   Link #650
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Sometimes they aren't even his opinions... I'd like to believe he was actually being honest about not personally believing Haruhi is "God," but that there are people in the Agency who think she is. Given what she's been shown to be capable of, I'm sure someone would think she was some sort of deity.
Old 2009-08-22, 07:19   Link #651
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Sometimes they aren't even his opinions... I'd like to believe he was actually being honest about not personally believing Haruhi is "God," but that there are people in the Agency who think she is. Given what she's been shown to be capable of, I'm sure someone would think she was some sort of deity.
Putting Ontological issues aside (since this isn't really the thread for it), you raise a good point in that some of the hypothesis' or theories' that Itsuki proposes aren't even his - they're from other people in the Agency. Since the Agency is internally divided on a lot of these ideas, we the fans should not take them as the absolute final word either.
Old 2009-09-05, 06:14   Link #652
kniteowl

Not sure where I should put this but here's as safe as any other...

I was wondering how the Haruhiverse would play out if Kyon was the Esper, remember originally the Author wanted to make Kyon the Esper of the SOS-Dan but later changed his mind and made him a normal human while creating the story.

So I was wondering, did the author have a lot of prepared material for the Story where Kyon was the Esper and decided to put it to use in the form of Sighs in the current novel series? Thinking "well I have all this material already, might as well not waste it"

And "the Adventures of Mikuru episode 00" may have been a sneak peek at how the Haruhi-verse may of played out if Kyon was an Esper.

I know there's a lot of holes in this idea, like where the hell is Haruhi in all this, since she's not apart of the movie's story?

Well Gods tend to control how everything is done right, similar to a director & script writer in this case.

Shouldn't Haruhi be super jealous having awesome Alien and a Moe Time traveler obviously romantically pursuing Esper Kyon? well that's assuming this alternate story played out the same way as the original where Haruhi has a romantic interest in Kyon.

Hm... maybe this idea to way too far-fetched?

well there's also the possibility that Sighs is Haruhi's foreshadow of the future, where Asahina really does have laser vision, Cats can talks, Nagato is an evil alien witch and whatever other references there were in the movie.

Wait... Nagato kinda did play the part of the Villian in disappearance (volume 4)... wait NOOOOOOOOOO it's coming true... we're all doomed I tell you... DOOMED!!!...:P lol.
Old 2009-09-05, 06:25   Link #653
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
So I was wondering, did the author have a lot of prepared material for the Story where Kyon was the Esper and decided to put it to use in the form of Sighs in the current novel series? Thinking "well I have all this material already, might as well not waste it"
If the author's words were to be believed, he didn't write the Melancholy arc with the intention of sequels; so everything after Melancholy is likely decided upon after he was told to make more. He wasn't a famous author at the time, he couldn't have expected to plan for a 9+ book series.

I like to think of each arc after Melancholy as the author's attempt to make SOS-dan into a team, so that they can fight true antagonists rather than each other. Yuki gets nerfed in Disappearance, Haruhi becomes more tolerable after Sigh, and Itsuki gave his assurance of loyalty in Snow mountain. Mikuru then drops the bomb shell that there are people who want to kill time travel's inventor, who they though was a little boy. And then finally we found out that Haruhi was the true inventor...
Old 2009-09-05, 10:15   Link #654
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
If the author's words were to be believed, he didn't write the Melancholy arc with the intention of sequels; so everything after Melancholy is likely decided upon after he was told to make more. He wasn't a famous author at the time, he couldn't have expected to plan for a 9+ book series.
If this is true, it would make the explanation as to how Kyon got in that Closed Space (you know which one) a lot easier to figure out.
Old 2009-09-05, 11:10   Link #655
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solachinx View Post
If this is true, it would make the explanation as to how Kyon got in that Closed Space (you know which one) a lot easier to figure out.
But didn't he make Itsuki as the esper after he decided Kyon should be a normal human? Closed Space came only after that.
Old 2009-09-05, 12:50   Link #656
KyonisGod

I dont believe that Kyon is going to turn out a 'normal' human

many references to him being a Key are throughout the show
while there are many locks, there is usually only one key
Old 2009-09-05, 12:52   Link #657
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Apparently he started writing the book with "Kyon being the esper" still in mind, but after he wrote the Prologue he realized what had happened and just went with it.

I'd think Koizumi was supposed to be the Slider, given what his powers can actually do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyonisGod View Post
I dont believe that Kyon is going to turn out a 'normal' human.
Tanigawa does not plan out this far ahead. He goes back to stuff he's already written and looks for interesting plot threads.
Old 2009-09-05, 12:59   Link #658
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyonisGod View Post
I dont believe that Kyon is going to turn out a 'normal' human

many references to him being a Key are throughout the show
while there are many locks, there is usually only one key
I always presumed that the "Key" references were simply to Kyon being the key to resolving the issues with Haruhi. That doesn't necessarily require Kyon to be anything other than a 'normal' human.
Old 2009-09-05, 13:01   Link #659
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I always presumed that the "Key" references were simply to Kyon being the key to resolving the issues with Haruhi. That doesn't necessarily require Kyon to be anything other than a 'normal' human.
He's like Krillin, but without the ridiculous Ki powers... he's the most powerful ordinary human alive, given what he has control over.
Old 2009-09-05, 13:28   Link #660
KyonisGod

All i'm saying is that he is the epicenter or ground zero of everything that is happening

he could be a god in the same way a writer is a god to the people in their books
Closed Thread