AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Old 2009-02-06, 19:04   Link #21
shinryou
--- semi-hikikomori ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu-kun View Post
Sorry for the double post just that my toradora gift finally came!!!!! : D

Spoiler:
.... i'm jealous now...

110,000 yen? that's cool, I can afford that...

"can't get away... from the sound of life..." - shinryou
shinryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-07, 22:26   Link #22
Ryu-kun
Dragon - Igniton
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Ryu-kun
Its only 11k yen not 100k XD

Also this just came in by mail
First is the Special 100 page+ LE booklet of Toradora Art
Second is volume 2 of toradora manga LE
Spoiler:

Click siggy to join Toradora club~
Ryu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 06:38   Link #23
shinryou
--- semi-hikikomori ---

where do u get all of this?

"can't get away... from the sound of life..." - shinryou
shinryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-08, 11:52   Link #24
Ryu-kun
Dragon - Igniton
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Ryu-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinryou View Post
where do u get all of this?
Magic : D
Joking getting it from relatives and the internet.

That LE costed 10 bucks...

Click siggy to join Toradora club~
Ryu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 01:21   Link #25
Jarmel

Is there any good book of Yasu's illustrations for Toradora? The only artbook he's published doesn't have any illustrations for Toradora it seems. Truth be told, I wouldn't mind an artbook based off the anime's style except nothing of the like exists.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 15:19   Link #26
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

wow, nice score
fish eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 13:39   Link #27
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Is there any good book of Yasu's illustrations for Toradora? The only artbook he's published doesn't have any illustrations for Toradora it seems. Truth be told, I wouldn't mind an artbook based off the anime's style except nothing of the like exists.
Give it some time, I'd say. Anime artbooks are generally released a few months after the end of the airing so that they have time to collect the most art possible. Also, the lack of Toradora! art in Yasu's recent book (which I can confirm by the way -- I bought a copy myself), along with the fact that the novel series just recently ended, probably means that an artbook of that is coming too at some point. So give it time. There's no book yet, but I'm sure there will be at some point.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-15, 20:24   Link #28
Jarmel

Thank you. It seems however that JC staff doesn't normally release artbooks(well atleast for recent productions) and Yasu hasn't really published any collection so there is just one big void. I've resolved to buy the limited edition version of the Toradora PSP game as it has some illustrations inside.

Edit:Scratch the previous statement. It seems JC does release some artbooks for some series but not all of them.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 17:42   Link #29
Krueger
...from Germany

Sorry...

Sorry if I'm asking something that could be considered off-topic, because it's very speculative...

How good are our chances to see a DVD Version of the ToraDora! Anime with official subtitles or perhaps a dubbed version or something like that?
I don't know about your business (Anime) in general, so I don't know how long they would usually wait for a DVD release... if there even will be one, of course.

Would someone be so kind to illuminate me? Please...
Krueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 17:52   Link #30
typhonsentra

Fewer shows are getting picked up lately, even ones that gained cult followings like School Days have been ignored. It still has a chance given that it sold decently over there and seems to have an audience in the English language anime community but nothing is certain anymore unless it's from an established brand (Naruto Shippuden, Dragon Ball Kai, the new Full Metal...).
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 17:54   Link #31
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

And yet Dragonaut gets licensed.

Sigh...
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 18:06   Link #32
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
And yet Dragonaut gets licensed.

Sigh...
Actually, that fact contains some profound truths about humanity as a whole. They just aren't the kind of truths one might hope for
Old 2009-03-17, 18:24   Link #33
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually, that fact contains some profound truths about humanity as a whole. They just aren't the kind of truths one might hope for
But the fanservice in Dragonaut isn't even good either.

It's just a terrible show in every way possible. There is absolutely nothing good about it.

WHY would anyone license it at all? No one who knows anything about anime is going to buy it.
Old 2009-03-17, 19:12   Link #34
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Well, Sex(or fanservice) sells.

But seriously, it is like a gamble risk when you want to bring over titles to the States. Sometimes, it because a big hit or even masterpiece-type like Mai-Hime, Onegai Teacher, and others even know that it wasnt the big thing in Japan, while others falls through the cracks and never get pick up.

Also you got to look at it for a public standpoint, if you going to bring titles like Kodomo no Jikan or like a School Days, you have to see if it is going to work or get people to buy the DVDs. We all know what happen when ANN was crying about KnJ manga, even know that it was a very good storyline behind it.

I think Toradora! falls into high-gamble risk, even know it is have a semi-large to large following, how it will do with other people that never have a chance to look at Fansubs or read the Japanese Novel. At the end, you might see a company like Funi or ADV(Sub) trying to pick this one up.
Old 2009-03-17, 19:23   Link #35
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
Also you got to look at it for a public standpoint, if you going to bring titles like Kodomo no Jikan or like a School Days, you have to see if it is going to work or get people to buy the DVDs. We all know what happen when ANN was crying about KnJ manga, even know that it was a very good storyline behind it.
I can see School Days taking off in the States though.

SO MUCH SEX. SO MUCH DEATH.
Old 2009-03-17, 20:59   Link #36
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Like I said... profound truths - just not the ones we might have hoped for :P

Seriously... package compost with "balloon boobs" on the cover and guess what, it sells. :P
Old 2009-03-17, 21:04   Link #37
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
I think Toradora! falls into high-gamble risk, even know it is have a semi-large to large following, how it will do with other people that never have a chance to look at Fansubs or read the Japanese Novel.
Well, this is the problem. How do you pitch it to people who aren't already here? What's the "angle"? The big selling feature of this show is that it's a very solid production. I don't think there's a single standalone "hook" that, on its own, would really cause people to gravitate towards the show. On the surface, it sounds like any other high school romantic comedy/drama, replete with the quasi-loser protagonist and the small harem of girls who fall in love with him for various reasons. Of course, it's much more complicated and that doesn't do it justice at all, but that's sort of the point. It's one of those "just watch it, you'll probably get hooked" sort of shows, and I think that's what makes it a tough sell. Most shows have sort of the "one hook" that reels people in to start; I'm not sure how to market it beyond those to whom it will market itself (and it's pretty obvious from the state of the anime DVD market that "we" clearly aren't enough).

Quote:
Seriously... package compost with "balloon boobs" on the cover and guess what, it sells. :P
Mostly because it can be explained in 5 words or less (i.e. none), and the target audience immediately "gets it". That's sort of flippant, but there's a bit of a serious principle at work there too. This is the same sort of reason why Mahoraba hasn't been licensed, I suspect; great show, near-impossible to market without "just watch it and you'll see". (Not that you don't already know this, but there you have it anyway... )
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 21:06   Link #38
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Sigh.......
Old 2009-03-17, 22:07   Link #39
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I resigned myself long ago to having tastes for things well away from the bell-curve center. So it goes...
Old 2009-03-17, 22:15   Link #40
typhonsentra

You know, the cover art for Welcome to the NHK prevented me from picking up a series I loved when it was on.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote