AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 101 43.35%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 62 26.61%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 43 18.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 7.30%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.72%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.29%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-08, 12:17   Link #321
maelstormCaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzuya13 View Post
It might be from Sachi's side story cause that will be the first time kirito will accept that Title cause of what he did
I fail to see where in that story he accepted the Tittle Beater...

But anyway, if you seen the PV there's a clip from Aria the Starless Night. So yeah, I'm prettyt damn sure that's the next ep, because in that ep the...

I'm gonna stop here before I get scolded by the admin again.
maelstormCaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 12:17   Link #322
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
That would make sense if Nervegear was a SAO-unique device.

However, as we've seen from the episode itself, SAO itself was just a software for the already existing Nervegear console.

Which means that there's actually hundreds of thousands of 'those brain-frying helmets' out there at retail for tinkering and dismantling.
The catch is that NervGear wasn't just some random console that Kayaba decided to use to carry out his plan, Kayaba designed NervGear, it is a part of his plan.

In the real world, it wouldn't really matter much as there are always smarter (or at least more) people that you can use to throw at a problem, but this is an anime story, and the setting is that Kayaba is a friggin genius, and that everyone who tried to find a way to get around the safeguards he designed around NervGear and SAO failed, and that's that.

TBH, if you want to play the "but, but in the real world...!" game, you can pretty much rip apart the storyline in just about every anime out there.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 12:19   Link #323
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
That would make sense if Nervegear was a SAO-unique device.

However, as we've seen from the episode itself, SAO itself was just a software for the already existing Nervegear console.

Which means that there's actually hundreds of thousands of 'those brain-frying helmets' out there at retail for tinkering and dismantling.
Ohoho, I completely forgot about that. Good point.

I suppose they're just that difficult to dismantle? ;p
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 12:32   Link #324
j4c06

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelstormCaT View Post
If you're a player, would you care to test that theory?
Exactly, nobody would, that's what I am saying.
j4c06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 12:44   Link #325
novalysis

Maybe some of the 2000 players did.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 13:13   Link #326
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Ohoho, I completely forgot about that. Good point.

I suppose they're just that difficult to dismantle? ;p
No, they're very easy to dismantle. It's just impossible to do so without frying the brain of the player. Well, I suppose you could do it by quickly destroying the device - but how are you going to do that without risk damage to the contents?

I'm not sure it's all that outlandish to imagine a deathtrap that can't be disarmed. You'd have the risk of it being triggered accidentally, but would Kayaba care?

I have more problems with the fact they let such a dangerous thing enter the market (I mean, someone should have noticed the whole "it's powerful enough to fry brains" thing), but I guess it's all a matter of greasing the right palms. Maybe some civil servant who thought he was just helping out a corner cutting corporation has some real explaining to do...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 13:24   Link #327
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

^

Cars can be dangerous too. Remember those Toyota's that accelerated for you ?

There will always be products out there that can cause you great harm. You can accidentally drop a toaster plugged in into your bathtub and you're f*cked. We rely on gadgets every day that if something went wrong could do some real damage.

I think the more pressing question is how does this guy plan to escape the real world authorities? I'm sure they could arrest him and figure out someway to save everybody. He never did state a time limit of any sorts for the people so they have time to figure out how to save the people.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 13:26   Link #328
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm rolling a specific idea in my mind right now, and there's a decent shot I'll give it a try at some point.

SAO does have one of the best series concepts I've seen, that's for sure.
I can see it now after the events of SAO rock the world a government ran task force was assembled for the propose of stopping and prevent VR cyber crime on and off line.
Old 2012-07-08, 13:30   Link #329
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'm not sure it's all that outlandish to imagine a deathtrap that can't be disarmed. You'd have the risk of it being triggered accidentally, but would Kayaba care?

I have more problems with the fact they let such a dangerous thing enter the market (I mean, someone should have noticed the whole "it's powerful enough to fry brains" thing), but I guess it's all a matter of greasing the right palms. Maybe some civil servant who thought he was just helping out a corner cutting corporation has some real explaining to do...
You and I seem to agree on that, but some others don't. Kayaba wouldn't, but the person wearing the thing certainly would; it's their life that's at stake, after all.

Perhaps people did notice at first, but after the beta ended and there no causalities, they began to think that even if it was capable of doing that, the chances of it occurring randomly were extremely low. I suppose it's reasonable enough to assume that some people even thought that there was no chance of it actually frying someone's brain.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 13:45   Link #330
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
It isn't, because that's how it is IRL, but then most people only know what they see in TV shows and movies.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 14:02   Link #331
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

An MMO designed from the ground up for real death would be kind of fun. Designed from the ground up being the key part.

As for this first episode, it feels like .Hack all over again, but with better aesthetics (and main character).
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 14:44   Link #332
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
^

Cars can be dangerous too. Remember those Toyota's that accelerated for you ?

There will always be products out there that can cause you great harm. You can accidentally drop a toaster plugged in into your bathtub and you're f*cked. We rely on gadgets every day that if something went wrong could do some real damage.
Yeah, but you know what a car needs a powerful engine for. There's no sane use of Nervgear that'd require it to instantaneously fry its user's brain. There should be some safety - hardware, not software - limiting the power it sends to microwave emitters.

It'd be like they installed a jet engine on that Toyota. I don't care if they also put some software lock on the accelerator, it shouldn't be street legal anymore.
Old 2012-07-08, 15:33   Link #333
james0246

This is going out to all those here that are making it there business to hint and tease the anime-only viewers: (Bob Newhart voice) Stop It! If you read the book and or manga, good for you. Now kindly place aside that knowledge when discussing current events and speculating on future events.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 15:40   Link #334
Shadow5YA

Maybe it's because I played .hack first, but I enjoyed the setting a bit more there. Having the creator be so upfront about holding every players' brains hostage and getting away with it seems kind of... off to me.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 15:46   Link #335
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

We don't know that he's gotten away with it. All we know is that one month in, 8000 people are still trapped.
Old 2012-07-08, 15:59   Link #336
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABER60069 View Post
If mobs do still respawn that doesn't change Kirito's fast thinking and great decision making skills and the courage to act on it but I feel it makes him a bit more reckless
I don't disagree that it's a bit reckless to just run off without any help. But he was a beta tester so he already knows a lot about the game.

I'm assuming that part of the reason he wants to head to the first village first is not just due to being able to level faster. Lets say the village had some quest in the beta that was kill X monsters to complete the quest. If you get there and there are no other players there yet, killing X monsters will be a lot easier than when 500 people show up and decimate the spawns. It would be harder that you could get swarmed, but you wouldn't have to worry about not being able to meet the quest quota in a reasonable amount of time which is what's probably going to happen if he stayed in the starting city and took quests from there.

In most of the MMOs I've played, there's usually a type of quest to kill some rareish (single spawn) mob for a decent reward. It's something you can take on solo, but there are dozens of other people trying to do the same thing and party sizes are limited to 5 some players, so generally speaking there's some queue for killing it. If SAO has similar quests, being able to clear them before other people arrive will let you progress faster than anyone who has to wait.
Old 2012-07-08, 16:03   Link #337
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yeah, and it compounds. Completing the quests early means you get better gear early (plus the XP reward), which enables you to take more, better quests early.
Old 2012-07-08, 16:15   Link #338
Somnus
Eh?

I'm not bashing nor discrediting those on either side of this observation by saying this, but I find it extremely interesting how this is causing many users' personal gaming habits/knowledge/experiences/views to show.

I lived in RO back in the day, and have tried some newer MMO's recently (TERA, GW2) but RO will probably be the only one I'll ever take seriously. Still a very hardcore RPG gamer though. Best. Genre. Ever.

Anyways, because of this my explanations and reasoning will always automatically shift a certain way. Thanks to this show/thread, it's fun to see how different experiences start to collide with each other, even though most are logically sound in their own right.
Old 2012-07-08, 16:19   Link #339
Aqua Knight

Very nice episode, but I still wished the main character to look a bit more mature.
Old 2012-07-08, 16:30   Link #340
Hmm....

Quote:
Yeah, but you know what a car needs a powerful engine for. There's no sane use of Nervgear that'd require it to instantaneously fry its user's brain. There should be some safety - hardware, not software - limiting the power it sends to microwave emitters.

It'd be like they installed a jet engine on that Toyota. I don't care if they also put some software lock on the accelerator, it shouldn't be street legal anymore.
Well, I believe there should be a use for such powerful microwave emitter in nervegear. We just don't know it yet. Not to fly user's brain of cause as no sane person would program nervegear to fly his own customer's brain. The same can be said with no sane person would drop toaster plugged into bathtub. No sane person would runover someone else with a car. We don't really need Jet engine to runover someone would we ? And until we invent a 5 volt toaster, dropping it into bathtub will alway fatal.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sci-fi, shonen