AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Boku wa Tomodachi...

Notices

View Poll Results: Boku wa Tomodachi... - Episode 12 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 25 25.51%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 22.45%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 17.35%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 18.37%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 11.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 4.08%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.02%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-23, 20:15   Link #61
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
While the end wasn't stellar, it still was ok. (I should've rated it 7/10 instead of 8/10 - can you somehow change that?)

As I had thought already, Yozora not showing up on that last day was 100% her fault alone - she was there, but she didn't show herself. Thus, she has no one to blame for it but herself alone. That she still tries to pin it to Kodaka is ludicrous, but fits her bitchy, trollish nature.
Also, with this being entirely her own fault, there's no excuse for her bitchy behaviour, and from the looks of it, she won't change it one bit of it now either.

Likewise as I already thought, Kodaka now knowing that Yozora was the boy from 10 years ago doesn't really change anything - not for Kodaka who says that they're now different persons, and not for Yozora either who eventually realised the same and tells him to continue calling her Yozora.

Yes, it was strange to see tsun-only Yozora suddenly going dere.
They really could've shortened the obvious stuff and instead slip in an update on the Kodaka-Sena relationship.
Going by the light novels , that's impossible to accomplish. Unless you give them 12 additional episodes....

Actually , it's my view that this episode would have made a good first episode of a sequel , not the final episode.

Because , without seeing Yozora's dere side or internal thought processes , I don't think it's going to be that easy to comprehend Yozora's characters if the next 3 volumes gets animated in the second season...

Given the Yozora hate among Hagani fandom , I'd think that seeing things from her perspective , even for a half episode is quite useful to counteract that bias - if they did a sequel, given the number of Yozora Centric and sympathetic scenes that will crop up if such a sequel is made. In a way , she's a character that needs a little.... character redemption and development outside the Flanderized Bitch we've seen so far. That happens in the Novels , but seeing Yozora animated actually paints a far les flattering picture of her , than seeing it in print. Hence , a Yozora POV probably is a must, if they want to open up the possibility of a second season.

Suffice to say , the rule is this : Light Novels + Ongoing Series + 1 Cour = Either Angel Beats style trainwreck compression , or a very open inconclusive ending.
Old 2011-12-23, 21:10   Link #62
LC
Shocking Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post

Now if only there was a practical was to solve the two Yozoras maids mystery.

Spoiler for LN drawing vol.?:
The other "Yozora" is Rika, I think. She
Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2011-12-23, 22:16   Link #63
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Sigh half the story was a recap and Yozora with short hair dose not fit her

I hope Funi gets this and dubs it
Old 2011-12-24, 01:28   Link #64
justsomeguy

Watching this show made me RAGE.

The Good:
* The imaginary segments in the early episodes. Monster Hunter and the virtual RPG were the best parts of the show.
* The shark eating the girls in the troll eroge.

The Bad:
* I was not not impressed with the OP, or any other song for that matter, when they first showed up in the OVA. After listening to it a dozen times, it still sucks.
* Kodaka is more or less a typical harem lead. His ability to put up with bullshit is very impressive.
* Yozora is the biggest bitch ever. Damn, excluding villains I don't remember anybody as mean as her.
* The childhood friend storyline did not feel as good as it could have been. We saw Kodaka's memories, but didn't get any of Yozora's perspective until the very last episode, and then it was overshadowed by the present day reunion, which was also nowhere near as touching as it should have been.
* Sena is tits, ass, and an otaku. She's there to pander to the audience, and that's it. She's apparently supposed to serve as a third wheel to Kodaka and Yozora, but other than Yozora being mean to her I don't see much of that.
* Index. She contributes nothing to the storyline, and has a very annoying shrill voice. She's just there to screech, eat, and get manipulated by Yozora. No, I don't remember her real name, because this character sucks.
* Trap. He's there to crossdress as a maid and serve the rest of the club. No other contribution to the storyline either. I don't remember his name either, because this character sucks.
* Genius slut. She's there to come onto Kodaka, and that's about it. No, I don't remember her name either. At least she brought the headset for the virtual RPG, which was good.
* Kobato. Is she really as mentally ill as I think? How does a person become so obsessed with a tv show?
* The club members are supposedly social misfits. It would have been nice to see them in more situations that show this.

Final score: 5/10. This show sucks! I didn't like the OVA, but I stuck around to see why this series is so popular. I still don't understand. The key relationship is poorly done, and the rest of the characters and episodes are completely irrelevant, annoying, and lack depth. Please tell me that all the suck is adaptation failure, and that the novels are better.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
Old 2011-12-24, 02:10   Link #65
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Finally watched the episode. I liked it, but I had to give the episode a 7/10. I don't think I had the same problems other people had (besides the fact that the tones between the two halves were really different), but the episode wasn't really what I was expecting for the finale of this show.

I didn't have a problem with the fact that it was just another episode when you get down to it, as I think it's fitting that a show that's about practically "nothing" would do that, and I like how it didn't try to force cheap drama. I had a problem with the fact that the other characters were barely in it, especially Sena. Besides Yozora and Kodaka, the rest of the club were just thrown in for the sake of being there. This usually isn't a problem for most of the cast, as anyone outside the main trio is pretty much comedic relief (or in the case of Yukimura, just there), but when Sena isn't prominent in the finale, that bothered me a little.

The part where Yozora and Kodaka realized they couldn't go back to before was cool though, and it was executed decently. I want to see that more in anime.

Final thoughts will come when the topic arrives. But it's safe to say I like this series and found it funny. I noticed some people saying Baka To Test was funnier and it probably was, but that won't change the fact that I hate that anime.

Quote:
Please tell me that all the suck is adaptation failure, and that the novels are better.
As for if the novels are better, there are a few chapters I wish were put in the anime (mostly because it gives Yukimura something to do and actually be funny), but they mostly involved rape, so unless an OVA appears, that isn't happening. Apart from that, there are a few funnier jokes in the novels as well, but aside from the fact that you can pace the novel however you want and those few changes exist (and the fact that it's still on-going, as this final episode was made with the first few chapters of the fourth novel), I don't know if you'd enjoy them.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Old 2011-12-24, 04:03   Link #66
relentlessflame

*Administrator

One thing I was thinking is that, if they are indeed intending to have a second season down the road, I think it's a good idea that they put the POV switch/recap in this episode. As an opening for a second season the recap would make sense, but it could have the effect of feeling a bit like a "retcon" to the viewers, particularly those who were not pleased with Yozora's actions. So by doing it this way, they're saying, no, you need to understand all these perspectives to properly understand what happened. Then, if they do a continuation (whether anime, or in the game, etc.), it goes forward under the current understanding. All in all, it's a very unusual approach to telling a story (especially on its own), but it's a good stepping stone for a continuation. Really, this whole show is about people who come from wildly divergent perspectives all uniting under a common desire to overcome those differences, but without having the slightest clue about how to go about it. So to end the season by highlighting the importance of perspective shift is a way of driving home the point, but on its own that means that the whole season is sort of a setup for whatever comes next.
Old 2011-12-24, 04:06   Link #67
monir
cho~ kakkoii

The way this episode played out, I really didn't see any indication toward the desire to continue with this series in the near future. For all intent and purpose I think Boku wa Tomodachi is done. The End.

....Then again, there is a goth loli and the nun-loli, the pervert, the dressed up dude who gives impure thought and makes you want to question your sexuality, the meat, and the jerk. If the DVD/BD sale has a field day, who knows what the possibilities are!
Old 2011-12-24, 04:22   Link #68
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
The way this episode played out, I really didn't see any indication toward the desire to continue with this series in the near future. For all intent and purpose I think Boku wa Tomodachi is done. The End.
Well, at the very least, we do know the story will continue in the PSP game (even if it's non-canon), so perhaps that's the "angle" they're playing here. (Of course the story also continues in the light novel, obviously.) Having enough resolution to feel complete while also leaving the door open for a possible sequel is the mark of pretty much any anime in this sort of situation. We'll see what happens...
Old 2011-12-24, 04:32   Link #69
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

excellent series but 12 eps are way too short, i wish the japs would grow out of this growing trend and go back to 24 ep series
Old 2011-12-24, 05:25   Link #70
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Since this is AIC, one thing that came to mind is if they take the Oriemo approach and release webisodes that get included in the Blu Rays. It gives the fans a little more material, but at the same time finishes it. I can definitely understand where Monir is coming from too. They clearly left an opening for a season 2, but at the same time, this COULD be it. You have Yozora and Kodaka's relationship starting anew, you have these friendless saps in a new group with friends now...so it could pretty much just be a case of Life goes on...
Old 2011-12-24, 05:53   Link #71
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Kodaka, thought Sora was a boy, not to mention the 10 years interval... I had a hard time recognizing people after 4 years, not 10! As for the rest they had a hard time recognizing her with the horse head.
Well, the one Sena did was easy. When one of my companion suddenly changed their hairstyle, I can easily figure it out and that's why I can't get why they didn't notice it was Yozora?
Old 2011-12-24, 06:05   Link #72
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxus View Post
Well, the one Sena did was easy. When one of my companion suddenly changed their hairstyle, I can easily figure it out and that's why I can't get why they didn't notice it was Yozora?
Rika's thought process is probably fantasy overwriting logic, as for Yukimura, Maria and Kobato... Lets face it, they're all not the sharpest tool in the shed
Old 2011-12-24, 06:10   Link #73
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
While certainly useful to have some of Yozora's point of views, still too bad a lot of episode was in the past. Did seem like they were trying hard to change opinions on Yozora (though 12 episodes in good luck changing opinions built up over the other 11 episodes). Used things like "well it's fine she beat up the nun since she was rude."

Well didn't really expect too much resolution. Handled things like Kodoka and Yozora figuring things out about the past, some laughs at Yozora's new hairstyle, and that's it.

Certainly the doors open to a continuation down the road. But it's been an interesting ride to this point if that's all that we get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxus View Post
Because they wanted some comedy in reacting to Yozora getting mistaken for a guy? Hint that Yozora and Sena are better friends (despite the one-sided bullying) than they realize? Even though I'm not great with faces can certainly recognize a friend who's changed hairstyles, it's just a bit weird to see them differently.
Old 2011-12-24, 06:22   Link #74
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Because they wanted some comedy in reacting to Yozora getting mistaken for a guy? Hint that Yozora and Sena are better friends (despite the one-sided bullying) than they realize? Even though I'm not great with faces can certainly recognize a friend who's changed hairstyles, it's just a bit weird to see them differently.
Yeah I know. I forgot to mention that to my last post. I agree you'll see them differently but I don't think you won't recognize them. Anyway, overall the show is good. I'll give it 7/10. Still, I'm not happy with Yozora cutting her hair
Old 2011-12-24, 07:44   Link #75
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Whoa, anticlimactic as hell. I haven't seen such blatant usage of stock footage of really recent things since many a long run shounen. And this is a short anime too.

The story itself was cute, but the way they did it felt like they made the push too late, and they kinda wasted too much of an episode on things we already knew. At least, Rika and Kobato make up for stuff. And the fly swatter. Can't really say we got anywhere with this ending.

But at least Sena is still funny, and Yozora is still Yozora. Disappointing but not bad.

6/10-- not sure 6 or 7 for the whole series.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-12-24, 08:13   Link #76
mironicus

They should redo the whole anime with Sena as main heroine and founder of the club.

Surfing through the web and reading statements about Yozora, she seems to be the most hated female Anime character as of know.

After saying this, Sena steps thanksfully on my back... *joy*
Old 2011-12-24, 08:15   Link #77
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
^ Agreed, I expected a lot more after reading the translated Kobato chapters, a couple more raw, and from the novel's art. But despite my disappointment, it was definitely not the worse show of the season, but could have been a lot better.
Old 2011-12-24, 08:20   Link #78
LC
Shocking Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mironicus View Post
They should redo the whole anime with Sena as main heroine and founder of the club.

After saying this, Sena steps thanksfully on my back... *joy*

Surfing through the web and reading statements about Yozora, she seems to be the most hated female Anime character as of know.
You've got the plus manga for that.

Yozora isn't the most hated female anime character; she's the most popular Haganai character only after Sena (and maaaybe Kobato, it depends). She also ranked in the light novel female character list, which isn't easy to do. So, sure, she's polarizing, but she still has quite a few fans.
Old 2011-12-24, 09:39   Link #79
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Let's say there is another character from another anime who gets much much worse flak than Yozora. At least Yozora had an episode devoted to her pov and thought process. I can't say the same thing about the other one.
Old 2011-12-24, 10:36   Link #80
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

My worst fears have come true in this ep. I know I shouldn't have expected some kind of closure or resolution between Kodaka and Yozora. I should've known that the two trying to act like 10 years ago after Kodaka's discovery was an improbable thing. But I didn't lol.

Pretty decent ending. I loved Yozora's flashbacks, Rika doing her thing, and the eating scene. :3
Closed Thread