AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-09-30, 23:05   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 802 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Spoiler's here! Credit goes to AP's Redon and Aohige for the info:

-Chapter title is "Zou". No character-specific splash page this week since there's a color page instead.

-Barto's ship is struggling with harsh weather. When Franky asks to meet their navigator, Bart tells him that there IS no navigator, as his entire crew is made up of street thugs. Whenever they get in a pinch, they consult Gambia's granny for advice on the denden mushi, but all they ever get from her is homemaker tips, lol. In the end, it's up to Luffy and co. to take control of the situation, as they brave through more harsh conditions like extreme weather and sea king attacks....

-Meanwhile, at Marine HQ, Kizaru gets a report that Shichibukai Edward Weeble (maybe Weevil?) destroyed the A.O. pirates, one of Whitebeard's allied crews. Turns out, this was the 16th crew under WB's banner to get destroyed by this warlord, who seems to have a habit of picking fights with these particular pirates. However, he always causes heavy casualties during this quarrels, this latest one numbering over 600 (both injured AND dead). The marines are concerned about Weeble's aggression, and while they do agree that his title of Whitebeard's son is a strong one, they actually doubt the credibility of such a claim. Kizaru, on the other hand, cares not about the truth behind this warlord's story..... the only thing that DOES matter is that he's extremely powerful! He even says that Weeble is just like Whitebeard in his youth..... strength-wise, at least.

-We're then formally introduced to the new warlord in question, the self-proclaimed son of Whitebeard. His former bounty was 480 million berry. However, the man himself..... seems to basically be a huge manchild, lol. We're also introduced to his mother Bakkin, the self-proclaimed lover of Whitebeard. She says that all of the pirates united under Whitebeard's name are a fake family, and that her son is Whitebeard's one and only true child. She then continues by saying that they need to hunt down Marco and the rest and rob them of their treasures, as Weeble is the true heir to the deceased emperor's fortune! However, Weeble is actually more interested in getting revenge on Blackbeard, who landed the killing blow on his "father", but Bakkin stops him, saying that there's no profit in revenge. Therefore, they must concentrate on gathering wealth instead. She then reads the paper, and learns of the news of Doflamingo's downfall by Luffy's hands, who Whitebeard's men protected during the war. This prompts Weeble to mention that he might know where Marco is located, and suggests hunting him down to beat him up......

-A week has passed. Luffy and co. are lost in the middle of mist, and Barto's crew is seasick (making Zoro surprised that these guys are even pirates, heh). They then spot something moving in the distance, which looks like a moving mountain. Law points out that the vivre card he has points towards his crew on that "mountain". After some more brief chatter (which involved Usopp boasting about his bounty and Law shutting him up by saying he's on the admiral's wanted list now), they discover that what seems to be a mountain or island is.... actually a gigantic elephant! Yes, true to the island's name ("zou" is the Japanese word for elephant), the island itself is the elephant.... or at least, the island on its back, anyway. Since it's constantly moving, it never stays in the same place, and the Log Pose doesn't point to this location. Law also notes that it's his first time at this island, as well. They figure that Sanji's group arrived at Zou earlier than they did. The samurai then bring up that they heard about a race who hates humans inhabiting that island, which Law also acknowledges. It turns out that the tribe in question is the Minkmen tribe, who lived on the island for a thousand years. That means the elephant is at least 1000 years old, as well....!!!!

Preview pic of the new warlord:

Spoiler for 7th warlord:

Last edited by marvelB; 2015-10-01 at 01:21.
Old 2015-09-30, 23:52   Link #2
Zero-alucard

Whitebeard had a...SON?? Weird there has not been a mention of him until now tho, let alone him being a Shichibukai. Strange that they would let him live though, seeing as how they went after Ace after being found for being Gol D. Roger's son.
Old 2015-10-01, 00:21   Link #3
marvelB

Updated with the full summary (thanks, Aohige! ). Looks like I jumped the gun a bit about the 7th warlord.... he's the self-proclaimed son of Whitebeard. Furthermore, it looks like he's being manipulated by his mama....

Anyways, more awesome moments with Barto's crew (I really hope we see Gambia's granny), the arrival at a new island, and FINALLY we're learning more about the Minkmen race..... sounds like a great chapter to me!
Old 2015-10-01, 00:26   Link #4
PixelCreek
I voted Bayonetta

This guy seems like an imposter.. Looks like he's just trying to look like whitebeard to intimidate people. When I hear "whitebeard had a son" I picture someone more... kind hearted? I dunno. But what's with the Thriller Bark / Zombie vibe he's giving off. I feel like something sketchy is going on.

Update: Posted this before the full chapter summary. Haha. Guess now it's pretty obvious.
Old 2015-10-01, 00:29   Link #5
marvelB

Oh, and also.... seeing as we'll be introduced to the Minkmen soon, I assume Oda is going to introduce yet ANOTHER crybaby princess who will probably be rescued by Luffy and will have millions of fans clamoring for her to be the NEXT NAKAMA?

Edit: BTW, here's WB Junior's mama:

Spoiler for Bakkin:

^What a dame, I tells ya. What a dame.
Old 2015-10-01, 00:37   Link #6
Zero-alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelCreek View Post
This guy seems like an imposter.. Looks like he's just trying to look like whitebeard to intimidate people. When I hear "whitebeard had a son" I picture someone more... kind hearted? I dunno. But what's with the Thriller Bark / Zombie vibe he's giving off. I feel like something sketchy is going on.

Update: Posted this before the full chapter summary. Haha. Guess now it's pretty obvious.
I agree with the Thriler Bark/Zombie vibe. The stitches and his eyes remind me of the zombies from Thriller bark. As well, he has Whitebeard's mustache, Brownbeard's braids, and has similar hair to Oars.
Old 2015-10-01, 00:58   Link #7
marvelB

BTW, something interesting to note about WB Jr.: He resembles one of the early Shichibukai concepts that Oda drew way back during the series' infancy (the viking-type design on the lower right, specifically). I doubt that's a coincidence, considering that the woman drawn there was eventually introduced as Boa Hancock.

Anyways, as far as this guy goes, while I do think that his case seems similar to Demalo Black and the Fake-Hats from the first post-skip chapters, I also believe there's a significant difference here: Weeble (or Weevil) genuinely seems to be freaking tough. I strongly doubt an admiral would acknowledge him if that weren't the case. I don't think we should expect a repeat of Buggy or the Fake-Hats here where they simply got by with influence or name recognition alone. I'm pretty sure this dude basically got his bounty in a similar manner to Eustass Kid (getting into big fights and getting bystanders caught in the chaos), so even if he is identity is a "fake", his strength sure as hell wouldn't be.....

...Though I'd personally say his mom is probably even MORE dangerous since she's apparently the one ordering him to cause all that destruction in the first place (and for the sake of robbing treasure, at that).....

Edit: Checked out the Chinese scans. A little disappointed that Kizaru looks the same as ever (he doesn't at least have that awesome fedora from Jinbei's flashback ), but it's still cool to see him nonetheless. At least he still keeps bananas at his desk, though. I'm also loving Bart's crew more and more. I really have to wonder how the heck they managed to survive in the GL up to now without a navigator though, lol. Anyways, still looking forward to those Minkmen!

Last edited by marvelB; 2015-10-01 at 01:14.
Old 2015-10-01, 01:16   Link #8
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Couple of things:

Weeble's former bounty was incredibly high, which suggests he was quite legitimately strong.
Not to mention he seems to be single handedly taking on Whitebeard allies crew, and defeating 16 pirates crews on his own. Those pirate captains, who many are named, were all powerful captains of the New World, at least equal to the 7 that recently swore oath to Luffy. That's quite an impressive feat.
Heck, Kizaru himself compared Weeble to Whitebeard's younger days in strength.

He also seems to be genuinely believing his mothers words that he is son of Whitebeard, and doesn't seem to be evil himself. He shows no interest in robbing the pirates of wealth, and instead rather avenge Whitebeard.
Clearly a very strong and noble warrior, misguided and manipulated by an evil old woman.

Also Bakkin doesn't claim to be WB's wife, just his lover.
Old 2015-10-01, 01:22   Link #9
marvelB

^Out of curiosity Aohige, but couldn't "Junior's" name be "Weevil" rather than "Weeble"? I ask since Weevil would kinda fit the animal-themed names that most of the warlords have.
Old 2015-10-01, 01:34   Link #10
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

It can, yes. Although technically if it's Weevil the spelling would be ウィーヴィル instead, but they're interchangeable.

EDIT: Oh, it's name of a creature. I've never heard of Weevil.
Then yeah, that's most likely where his name is from.
Old 2015-10-01, 02:25   Link #11
Ultragunner

I refuse to believe that the guy is WB's son,

but then again with the "son" introduction we may get some more background about Whitebeard so I can't really complain
Old 2015-10-01, 02:30   Link #12
Zero-alucard

Curious, but in the latest One Piece movie, Zephyr (the villain) had his arm cut off by a pirate who recently became a Shichibukai, which should coincide with the time Buggy, Law, and Weeble became part of the Shichibukai. IF that part is considered part of the story (even though considering that it isn't part of the actual manga), wouldn't Weeble be the pirate that cut his arm off?
Old 2015-10-01, 02:35   Link #13
Ultragunner

^ I thought Z got his arm cut off quite a long time ago? At least when the Shichibukai system was first introduced in One Piece

I'm more inclined to believe that Doffy was the guy responsible though
Old 2015-10-01, 02:49   Link #14
Zero-alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
^ I thought Z got his arm cut off quite a long time ago? At least when the Shichibukai system was first introduced in One Piece

I'm more inclined to believe that Doffy was the guy responsible though
The same pirate who cut Zephyr's arm became a Shichibukai during the time skip, one year before the plot of the movie, so this was after Doflamingo became a Shichibukai..I think
Old 2015-10-01, 03:50   Link #15
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
EDIT: Oh, it's name of a creature. I've never heard of Weevil.
Then yeah, that's most likely where his name is from.

Wait, you mean you've never heard of these guys!? They're quite infamous, after all. Plus, I think it's pretty cool to have a shichibukai named after a bug for once (and one that isn't one of the more obviously popular "killer" bugs like praying mantises or some type of spider or something like that). If anything, the boll weevil's destructive appetite for cotton fits well with WB Jr.'s tendency to leave destruction in his wake, you could say....

Also, I like the idea of Weevil/Weeble being the one who crippled Z. People expect some cold-hearted badass similar to Croc or Lucci being the culprit when it's actually an overgrown mama's boy who did the deed instead.
Old 2015-10-01, 03:55   Link #16
game2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Wait, you mean you've never heard of these guys!? They're quite infamous, after all. Plus, I think it's pretty cool to have a shichibukai named after a bug for once
Buggy? Yes or no?

On the side note, Law is a spotted seal, and Blackbeard is sometimes portrayed as a hippo in merchandises.

Last edited by game2007; 2015-10-01 at 03:56. Reason: adding more stuff
Old 2015-10-01, 04:01   Link #17
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by game2007 View Post
Buggy? Yes or no?

Well, a specific bug, anyway.
Old 2015-10-01, 04:14   Link #18
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That Weeble guy looks hilarious. He most definitely is not Whitebeard's son, but he definitely has the strength to make such claim. He doesn't seem like a bad guy at all, he's just a manchild completely manipulated by his mom. I could see him becoming friends with Luffy. In the meantime, we've got yet another strong guy after the Strawhats.
Old 2015-10-01, 04:30   Link #19
Ultragunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero-alucard View Post
The same pirate who cut Zephyr's arm became a Shichibukai during the time skip, one year before the plot of the movie, so this was after Doflamingo became a Shichibukai..I think
Ah, my bad for some reasons it was stuck in my head that Z quit the marine long ago

i doubt Buggy is the guy that cut off Zephyr's arm thought, so Weeble is entirely capable of it, I think
Old 2015-10-01, 06:20   Link #20
noktown

It's not Weevil nor is it Weeble, it's Wannabe, Edward Wannabe.
Closed Thread