AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-12-22, 20:38   Link #1341
enrico7113

anyone tried to figure out the gamilas rank system ?
to me generals have gold squares on the collars
officers have gray
enrico7113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 22:01   Link #1342
GundamFan0083

Ooh, that's a good question.
Now I'll have to go give that a look and see if I can make heads or tails of it.

Thanks for bringing that up.
Old 2012-12-23, 03:13   Link #1343
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

No clue yet on my end about the Gamilas ranking system. One would first need to identify their rank insignia and then their ranks. We have something like Storm Leader and Lower Storm Leader in episode 10 along with Captain and of course the various generals, colonels, admirals and whatevers in Dessler's court. Plus second class citizen soldiers which have different style uniforms.
Old 2012-12-23, 03:17   Link #1344
MasterVampire

Im confused about episode 10

That gamilas girl said Earth attacked first?
MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 03:44   Link #1345
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We don't know yet either. We assume we'll get some more about that in the next chapter.

The only possible way we can think of is if an Earth ship fired on the first Gamilas ship to enter the Solar System prior to the war starting. Otherwise it could be Gamilas propaganda so their forces think they are defending instead of attacking. Mind you that until Yamato, Earth had no known Faster Than Light ships to even leave the Solar System.

Judging by the previews, we will get some information of earlier in the war via flashback. Either Shima's father's ship, or the assistant chief engineer's ship (a cruiser) getting attacked sometime in the past.
Old 2012-12-23, 06:59   Link #1346
macdawson

There's also the chance that instead of propaganda, Dessler and Gamilas believe Earth did fire first. Much like he does in episode 10, Goer, who seems to be in command of the forces in our galactic sector, may have reported whatever happened in a way that serves him better. I mean, the guy orders his fleet to open fire with a friendly ship in the line of fire, blows it up, and twists his report to say the Yamato did it, not to mention he's firing on the Yamato knowing a Gamilan officer (not to mention daughter of the commander of the astrofleets of Gamilas) is onboard.

So, in short:
1 - Earth fired first
2 - Gamilas fired first, propaganda claims otherwise
3 - Goer is a douche and is lying about it
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 07:54   Link #1347
Blaat

I'm hoping Earth did shot first and I think they did judging by Captain Okita's reaction. But with Gamilas forcing them to shoot first.
Old 2012-12-23, 11:03   Link #1348
enrico7113

the storm leader and lower storm leader ranks seem to come directly from the SS system in WW2

Untersturmführer is Under Storm Leader or 2nd Lieutenant (Meruda)
Obersturmführer is Senior Storm Leader or 1st Lieutenant (the security officer on the EX 178)

but this rank system seem to apply only to the security personnell
while for the rest of the personnell the normal navy/army system is applied

Last edited by enrico7113; 2012-12-25 at 18:17.
enrico7113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-26, 15:50   Link #1349
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

In the original Goer seemed to be in the way or just generally incompetent all the way through the Balan fight. What surprised me was that Dommel kept him around for the Rainbow Galaxy fight and that he generally didn't become a bother for it. Though he likely didn't appreciate Dommel's last actions, he seemed to go along with it in a similar spirit as Ganz went with Schultz orders to ram Yamato in the asteroids in the original (Yamato 2199 Ganz and Schultz go out slightly better and are at least respectible...the originals were fairly standard 1970s doofus underlings, even if they decided to go down for the glory of the emperor).

I wouldn't put is past them to kill him off before the Rainbow Galaxy fight due to incompetence. Dessler already wants to drop him through the floor.
Old 2012-12-27, 06:46   Link #1350
macdawson

I wouldn't say Goer didn't bother Domel. If not for his actions, the "Artificial Sun" operation at Balan might have worked. By reporting Domel's willingness to sacrifice the base to destroy the Yamato and having Dessler put a stop to it, he gave the Yamato the chance to blow the AS up, thus destroying it, the base and allowing Yamato to escape. Why he kept Goer around after that is beyond me. A decorated general like Domel wouldn't have such an untrustworthy second by his side. The only reason i see for Goer to go to the Rainbow Galaxy operation at all is by having Zoellik pull some strings to have someone watching over Domel's actions.
Old 2012-12-27, 12:21   Link #1351
macdawson

Chapter 4 preview clip has hit youtube early. And yes, the battle between Domel and Gatlantis is there. Enjoy.

Old 2012-12-27, 14:58   Link #1352
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Now there is a soundtrack I never thought I'd hear again. Leads me to think that young Akira was the one on the organ for the original (probably not, though he did play the organ for at least one of those Comet Empire themes that was a little to pop for their orchestra's organ player).

I am going to have to attempt to recreate this battle in the Star Blazers Fleet Battle System using the modifed Gamilas ships and a new Cometine ship (minus the armor reductions armor as I think I'll only use that against the pre-Yamato Earth Fleet). A Cometine destroyer can easily destroy a Gamilas high speed cruiser, so the odds are alright wthout the added armor/shielding rules.

Also looks like we will get some good backstory on first contact with Gamilas (in 2191).
Old 2012-12-27, 17:22   Link #1353
Optimouse Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
Chapter 4 preview clip has hit youtube early. And yes, the battle between Domel and Gatlantis is there. Enjoy.
Awesome, thanks for posting that!

Now I really wish I understood Japanese so I could understand what they're talking about. I'm especially curious about:
  • what they're saying about Ditz and the results of Dr. Sado's medical exam
  • what Dommel's crew seemed so shocked/upset about
I wonder if Yamamoto's suspicions about Ditz are simply because she's an enemy pilot, or because Ditz seems to be getting along with Kodai?

And who knew that Gamillons wore thongs?
Optimouse Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 17:36   Link #1354
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The male pilot they captured in the original had black and white (vertical) striped boxers.

The conversations on Yamato and Dommel's talk with Admiral Ditz make me curious. Unless someone is good as subbing we will have to wait until February for the BD to come out, as those will have English subs already.
Old 2012-12-27, 17:54   Link #1355
Optimouse Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The male pilot they captured in the original had black and white (vertical) striped boxers.

The conversations on Yamato and Dommel's talk with Admiral Ditz make me curious. Unless someone is good as subbing we will have to wait until February for the BD to come out, as those will have English subs already.
Ah, is that who it was? Good ear! I didn't pick that out until I replayed the clip and listened for it specifically. Perhaps they're discussing the mess that the Second Class Gamillas are making on the Terron Front?

Speaking of Second Class Gamilas, I'm wondering if they really are required to wear different uniforms, or if it's simply a choice (much like how the USN has various uniforms, such as Khakis and Whites)? Their uniforms look a lot like the ones that most of the crew are wearing aboard Dommel's flagship.

And as for the aforementioned boxers - they're functional, I tend to think of thongs more as a style choice
Optimouse Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-27, 20:50   Link #1356
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It took me a while, but I found that old "normal" Cometine cruiser design I did more than a decade ago. I find it lacking compared to the one shown in this episode. I will have to make a new one entirely. Plus I can make it match more against the newer redesigned Gamilas ships I did for the Battle of Pluto 2199.

I am also curious as to what the news reel Shima is watching is saying. I could figure out parts of it, but I get the feeling there is something else there I missed. Especially as Shima was leaving.

EDIT:

In a shadow update, we find that Dommel's flagship is 730 meters long! (2,395 feet long)
Also it has 7 quad 490mm (19.29") cannon turrets (and 4 triple 330mm (13") turrets).
http://yamato2199.net/mecha/gamirasu_sn07.html

The Dimentional Submarine is 144 meters long (over 472 feet long).
http://yamato2199.net/mecha/gamirasu_sn08.html

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-12-28 at 03:52. Reason: Ship data
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-28, 04:47   Link #1357
macdawson

Some new stuff from the official sites. First, 3 new character files, including 2 on the Earth side:

Iwata and Touyama, Enomoto's top men (so far)

Goru Hainy, Fraken's XO

Also, the cover of the storyboard booklet for episode 13, that will come as a bonus for the Special Edition Blu-Ray/DVDs

http://yamato2199.net/showinfo_04.html

and the release date for the Concert CD has been set for February, 27th

http://yamato2199.net/goods/cd_musicteam01.html

and finaly, at Yamato Crew site, volume 2 of the manga is on sale with some exclusive bonus

http://yamatocrew.jp/shop/html/produ...product_id=167
Old 2012-12-28, 10:04   Link #1358
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Is this the next DVD cover?

Akira/Rei seems awfully popular among the creative staff.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-28, 12:56   Link #1359
macdawson

No, that's the cover of the storyboard booklet of episode 13 that will come with the limited edition of the Blu-Ray and DVDs sold at the theatres.
Old 2012-12-28, 14:38   Link #1360
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So Dommel's ship is nearly half a mile long (more than twice Yamato's length) and has guns larger than Yamato's. And judging by the artwork they use for the theater promotional stickers, those two ships are going to exchange fire at point blank range at somepoint in the series. It will be a nasty fight.

Can't say much about the two deck crew. We see them from time to time and they play cards while waiting for something to so in the port side hanger pod.

The Gamilus must either have a hard life growing up or they see lots of combat because they have a bunch of officers with scars.

The submaine's guns are the same sizes as the two armored vehicles main weapons (99mm and 33mm). One good for anti-fighter work while the other good for slightly larger targets. But useless against most warships. So torpedoes and missiles for most anti-ship work. Basically a World War II German U-boat (in space), while the Yamato III submarines are more post-war submarines (U-209)

Guessing by the way the arc is going, Yamamoto's character building will likely end this chapter, allowing them to move to someone else by chapter 5. Her arc seems to be following Kodai's angry at the Gamilas for the death of his brother arc, which ended for the most part after they released the captured pilot. After that Kodai seemed more rational when it came to taking out the Gamilas on the way to Iscandar (though the Yamato reason for attacking Balun base is iffy "avenging the dead local animals" as oppose to the Star Blazer's reasoning "Take out the Gamilas base because it will just attack you on the way home as well and slow down the mission even more than they already have")

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato