AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Old 2013-11-05, 05:19   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Log Horizon - Weekly Episode-to-Novel/Manga Comparison Thread [Spoilers Aplenty]

As the title of this thread suggest, the purpose here is to allow discussion which compares the content between an anime episode as it aired and how it is laid out in the source material the anime was adapted from. All spoilers are allowed as long as it is relevant to the discussion at hand. It will be helpful if the posters clearly indicate the episode number before engaging into a detailed comparison to the source material. Obviously you are required to watch the episode prior to posting here. Thread is open to everyone, but since the novel/manga readers are expected to participate, the anime-only viewers are advised to use discretion before venturing into this thread.

For the Log Horizon Novel/Manga-Readers: Please do your darndest best to stay on topic when engaging into these comparison. Whenever you see one of your fellow novel/manga-reader is spewing spoiler for no apparent reason, feel free to tell him/her to stop. Report such post so a moderator can delete the off-topic post.

Have fun!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 19:11   Link #2
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Alright, let's get the thread started!

This episode corresponds more or less to chapter 2 of book 2.

From what I remember, the changes are pretty minor -- mainly they cut down Henrietta costume raping Akatsuki, and Shiroe's talk with Nyanta about finding his "own place".
Old 2013-11-09, 19:20   Link #3
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Alright, let's get the thread started!

This episode corresponds more or less to chapter 2 of book 2.

From what I remember, the changes are pretty minor -- mainly they cut down Henrietta costume raping Akatsuki, and Shiroe's talk with Nyanta about finding his "own place".
the ep also play down Henriette's perceptiveness.
Old 2013-11-09, 21:59   Link #4
Xacual

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

This bit at the end of the Shiroe and Nyanta conversation being left out made me sad.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 22:07   Link #5
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Yeah, that scene is in the novel too.
Too bad they left it out in the anime...
Old 2013-11-09, 22:16   Link #6
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Ive just read translated ver. ofchapter 2 vol 2(that correspond to episode 6) and find no mention of Shiroe asking others to keep the cooking method as secret during the party like in the anime. Is it translation error, or anime only scene?
Old 2013-11-10, 00:48   Link #7
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

anime only
Old 2013-11-10, 11:41   Link #8
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

This bit at the end of the Shiroe and Nyanta conversation being left out made me sad.
This and that the intensity of Akatsuki's humiliation was toned down

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 11:48   Link #9
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
This and that the intensity of Akatsuki's humiliation was toned down
You just know that's going to be a blu-ray special.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 19:01   Link #10
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

after finishing vol4 and starting vol5. I think season 1 would be better serve at ending in vol4. Vol5 is anticlimactic and would be better serve as the start to the 2nd season or a oav.
Old 2013-11-12, 10:38   Link #11
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

There's another part that I felt should have been kept, what Naotsugu had said after the "Panties! =D" part =3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon's translation
"That was just a joke... eh, what were we talking about? If you rely on levels for victory, then when you lose the will be 'your level being too low', right? If you reached the level cap, what does that mean? It implies that those opponents that you can't beat even at level cap will remain unbeatable forever, since your level can't go any higher any more. That will just be sad and depressing to the extreme! To avoid such situations, we have to research winning tactics as well as working together with our team-mates. Without these two aspects, you will lose no matter where you go. It will be too late if you realize this after reaching the level cap. People who have never co-oped with others will not develop good teamwork with others just because they lost. On the other hand, even if your level is low, you can still work on your tactics and teamwork, and will be the strongest formation when you finish your training. The important thing is to ask yourself "What other ways can I contribute?" My bro Shiroe is a master of this, because he is "Cunning Glasses", willing to do anything to secure victory!"
This alone makes Naotsugu look more than just the token pervert+idiot+comic gag. It's also a speech that sums Log Horizon's philosophy up nicely; not a story about super-powered one-man-shows, but one where normal/weaker people work together to achieve great deeds =3

Signature by liro
Old 2013-11-12, 11:16   Link #12
Alf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
This alone makes Naotsugu look more than just the token pervert+idiot+comic gag. It's also a speech that sums Log Horizon's philosophy up nicely; not a story about super-powered one-man-shows, but one where normal/weaker people work together to achieve great deeds =3
That also echos what nyanta said about why tea party was good. But after so many battle talks so far, battle talk scenes at the party would most likely bore people away and break the flow of story telling in the anime. Just hope they will make some flash back on this later on.
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 19:31   Link #13
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

New week, new episode!

Well, I think Aohige noted the obvious additions, most of which are foreshadowing to make it easier for the kids watching to understand Shiroe's plan later on.

Also some Honey Moon Log bits, though they changed the Naotsugu x Marielle bit. I guess the sunrise griffon ride would be too much to animate...
Old 2013-11-16, 22:32   Link #14
blackwhite67
Banned

I'm disappointed that they cut out the part where Souji admitted that he was a harem character.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 22:39   Link #15
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
I'm disappointed that they cut out the part where Souji admitted that he was a harem character.
Well we got an actual appearance of his guild members, so it's a fair exchange I think. That said, no Nazuna makes me a sad trooper.
Old 2013-11-17, 10:48   Link #16
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

The part where Marielle, Ume-I mean Henrietta and Shiroe pushed responsibility to each other is better handled in the manga than in the novel, and it's great that the anime followed the former. At least it's less awkward and the "Ohohohoho~" at the end makes it more amusing =3

Signature by liro
Old 2013-11-23, 14:08   Link #17
DQueenie13

Episode 8 comparison

Differences between the LN and the anime (that I caught):
  • Henrietta and Marielle wear their regular clothes to the meeting
  • Charasin doesn't have his conversation with his guild member in the LN; instead it's Henrietta and Marielle preparing for the meeting
  • Henrietta does not point out Charasin's crush on Marielle in her inner monologue in the anime
  • Henrietta lowers the price from 50,000 to 30,000; in the LN, she lowers it to 40,000
  • Only Michitaka recognizes Shiroe in the LN, whereas all three of them recognize the name in the anime
  • I didn't notice this before, but Soujiro's meeting with Nyanta and Shiroe takes place after the above meeting in the LN
  • Isaac and Crusty's reactions to the invitation aren't shown in the LN.
DQueenie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 14:29   Link #18
tsunade666

-The translation was done from chinese to english. Some information are lost so maybe its 30000 from japanese raw. If someone can check the original to compare then it could help. So for now its not really a change but we aren't just sure if the numbers are right.
-As for Michitaka reacting. We aren't shown on the reaction really (though not sure. Will check later) So maybe the 3 guild leaders all react. They are veteran at their field so they might know Shiroe. Shiroe is a famous veteran player and most veteran player know him. Specially battle type guilds or raiding guilds.

Another difference probably is in the anime. Henrietta only mentions Shiroe. In the novel. She mentions, Naotsugu, Nyanta and Akaktsuki too. And she also mention they recognize some of the name she mention. So Shiroe alone isn't the only famous in the named people.
Old 2013-11-23, 14:45   Link #19
DQueenie13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
-As for Michitaka reacting. We aren't shown on the reaction really (though not sure. Will check later) So maybe the 3 guild leaders all react. They are veteran at their field so they might know Shiroe. Shiroe is a famous veteran player and most veteran player know him. Specially battle type guilds or raiding guilds.
True, we aren't shown the other's reactions, but it's specifically noted that Michitaka reacted to Shiroe's name, which let Henrietta know that Shiroe indeed was someone special in the area. I think that if all three of them reacted, it would have said so.

Quote:
Another difference probably is in the anime. Henrietta only mentions Shiroe. In the novel. She mentions, Naotsugu, Nyanta and Akaktsuki too. And she also mention they recognize some of the name she mention. So Shiroe alone isn't the only famous in the named people.
They probably cut it out for timing issues, so I left those out (for the most part). But Naotsugu and Nyanta probably also got their fame from the DTP and/or having their weapons repaired by Michitaka (re: WWB chapter 6, Michi seems to be the one that repairs most people's weapons). Not sure about Akatsuki, she might be the one Michitaka doesn't recognize.
DQueenie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-23, 15:30   Link #20
tsunade666

It should be noted that despite Naotsugu not playing for 2 years. His still one of the top guardian in yamato server. Its been noted when in vol 3 or is it 4? the vaca/Training camp that Marielle proposed.