AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-07, 09:54   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 591 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Spoiler's finally out! Lessee what will become of Luffy now, eh?

-Chapter title is "Is that alright?" Splash page has Rayleigh and Crocus drinking in a hot spring.

-Law looks out at sea and sees a figure swimming to Amazon Lily. The figure in question turns out to be..... Silvers Rayleigh! When he reaches there, he talks to Law. Apparently, Rayleigh was sailing towards the island, but his ship got damaged during a storm, which is an unusual occurrence for the Calm Belt. He also says that he left his vivrecard with Shakky back at Sabaody. Law hands him Luffy's straw hat, and as he's leaving the island, says that Luffy ought to stay put for another 2 weeks.

-Hancock is preparing to bring Luffy some food. Meanwhile, Jinbei runs into Rayleigh while carrying Luffy. Nyon and Hancock's sisters meet with Rayleigh, as well. It turns out that Kuma had told Rayleigh where he had sent Luffy after all, and Shakky told him she figured that Hancock would hide him because that's how familiar she is with her character. Luffy once again expresses his desire to meet up with his crew, but Rayleigh stops him, asking him if he wants to make the same mistakes as before. He then says that he has a proposition for him.......

-Meanwhile, at Usopp's island, the long-nosed sniper actually manages to gain even more weight. He apparently tries to wrestle with a large beetle, but fails. Soon afterwards, some newspapers arrive. He reads about Ace's death, and cries as he wants to see Luffy again. We then focus on Chopper's island, where the reindeer is about to leave the island on a bird. However, before his departure the newspapers arrive, and he too also learns of Luffy's plight.....

...Heh, looks like the training theory is close to becoming a reality, after all. There's almost no doubt in my mind that Rayleigh will train Luffy to control his Haki at this point. Anyways, I'm now starting to get the suspicion that Shakky is from Amazon Lily herself, since she seems quite familiar with Hancock. Glad to see that we're starting to focus on the missing crew again, as well. I still wonder how being fat will benefit Usopp, though.....

Anyways, the full chapter should come out later today. Now, I gotta a thread for the anime's adaption of the Marineford arc.....

Last edited by marvelB; 2010-07-07 at 13:06.
Old 2010-07-07, 09:57   Link #2
Wargumm1i
Hentai

Second post and wtf Nice, this will be an exciting chapter.
Old 2010-07-07, 10:11   Link #3
marvelB

BTW, I'm a little disappointed that Law left Amazon Lily. As I suggested in the previous chapter thread, he would've made a nice sparring partner for Luffy. Oh well, then.... at least Rayleigh's there. Heh, it's actually pretty insane to think that the guy would swim through the calm belt, which nests those huge, vicious sea kings. It's really no wonder why the guy is Gold Roger's right hand.....
Old 2010-07-07, 10:21   Link #4
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

so either luffy gonna take 2 weeks to train or all of his crew will come to the island to meet up with him
Old 2010-07-07, 10:42   Link #5
seiji_kun

Swimming to Amazon Isle takes guts and skill but I don't find it such an incredible feat except for the distance. A man swimming is probably a little speck that goes unnoticed bye those giant sea kings. It's like an ant passing me bye on street... And seeing he seems more and more a sword man and is probably 100x as strong as Momonga and one does notice him he should be able to take it out like nothing. So while cool, I find it quite normal for people of Rayleigh's caliber to be able to pull a thing of like that.

And kind of thrilled that Luffy still has to stay for 2 weeks at Amazon Lily. That gives us a chance to see him interact still with the Kujas and Boa. Also glad that we finally will see some of the other strawhats again. Them returning to Saobonday will give Luffy enough time to recover and him leaving his vivrecard with Shakky seems to imply that the reunion will be at Saobondy.
Old 2010-07-07, 11:08   Link #6
marvelB

BTW, just because Law said that Luffy needs another 2 weeks to recover, it doesn't really guarantee that the crew will reunite in that much time. It could still take longer. Remember when we thought that Luffy and co. would lay low at Sabaody for 3 days because that was how long it would take Rayleigh to coat the Sunny? Well 3 weeks have passed since then. That goes to show that not everything is absolute in the OPverse.....
Old 2010-07-07, 11:16   Link #7
james0246

I wonder if Kuma also told Rayleigh where he sent the other Strawhats...
Old 2010-07-07, 11:31   Link #8
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Rayleigh acting as Luffy's mentor for the time being is perfect. Luffy really couldn't have asked for a better teacher. Surely after this training, he'll be ready for the New World.
Old 2010-07-07, 12:08   Link #9
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

I sure hope so. On the note of Usopp's getting fat, I think he will eventually buff up; gain the weight and turn it into muscle... FALSE! I think that Usopp's island is more about honing his survival skills, and has nothing to do with getting fat. On the island where he needs to avoid everything, he will get a boost in stealth, this will also force him to work on his shooting and target practice.

I think the whole reason he is so fat right now is going along with the theme that he is a huge "target," currently. On the island he will learn how not to.
Old 2010-07-07, 12:37   Link #10
Darmill

Rayleigh swimming through the calm belt is freaking awesome!!! I guess his haki may also affect creatures under water if needed. Besides, it's quite obvious that Oda tried to imply that Rayleigh didn't eat a DF, otherwise it would be unnecessary making up a plot of a damaged ship and a swimming Rayleigh.

I'm also convinced that Shakky once was member of Amazon Lily: many women at amazon lily are named after flowers and Shakky (Shakuyaku) means "peony", also a flower name.

Now I'm eager to see Rayleigh training Luffy. It would also be cool if Oda mentions a bit the progress of other SHs in the upcoming chapters.
Old 2010-07-07, 13:20   Link #11
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I wonder if Kuma also told Rayleigh where he sent the other Strawhats...

Perhaps so. However, one would have to wonder if Rayleigh would be willing to swim all the way out to East or South Blue to rescue Luffy's crew.....

Anyway, since this was brought up, I feel I should apologize for a misconception I had about the vivrecards. See, I had the impression that the pieces of paper would point towards the direction of the person the card was made from. However, it seems that all of the cards point towards each other. Of course, this means that it IS possible for Luffy to search for his crew (a theory I shot down in the last thread), but I still stand by what I said about how it makes more sense for him to stay at AL for a while longer so he can recover and train. Thankfully, Law and Rayleigh seem to share the same idea (which I'm definitely certain is the reason why the latter left his card with his partner at Sabaody).

(BTW, thanks to aohige for clearing up that confusion for me. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bari_Phillis View Post
I sure hope so. On the note of Usopp's getting fat, I think he will eventually buff up; gain the weight and turn it into muscle... FALSE! I think that Usopp's island is more about honing his survival skills, and has nothing to do with getting fat. On the island where he needs to avoid everything, he will get a boost in stealth, this will also force him to work on his shooting and target practice.

I think the whole reason he is so fat right now is going along with the theme that he is a huge "target," currently. On the island he will learn how not to.

Hmmm.... well, that is an interesting idea. After all, I don't quite see Usopp buffing up, as Oda said he clearly intended for him to be the physically weakest of the Straw-Hats. On the other hand, Usopp honing his stealth tactics would definitely benefit his sniping skills.....
Old 2010-07-07, 13:32   Link #12
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Luffys finally going to "master" his Haki from a true master. Awesome.
Old 2010-07-07, 13:38   Link #13
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
I'm a bit confused about this line. Why is this mentioned?

I thought those cards always lead to the person in question, and not to another card. So why leaving a card somewhere, when all the strawhats already have one?

Yeah, I was confused about that as well, but as I pointed out in my previous post, aohige and some others from AP corrected that error. Turns out the cards point towards each other, after all.....

BTW, I'm gonna guess it now: Shakky is Hancock's mother. It certainly would explain why she seems to know her so well.....
Old 2010-07-07, 13:58   Link #14
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Wait... Rayleigh could be her father?

I don't think Usopp will remain the weakest for the entire series. I think his abilities will eventually spike. His father is supposed to be an extremely powerful fighter. His training on the Island is supposed to give him powerful hand to hand combat techniques to go with his marksman abilities.

The old man he trains with seems to fight like an RPG dragoon. I think he wields a spear. I'm wonder if Usopp will become a mixture of a sumo fighter, dragoon, and sniper.
Old 2010-07-07, 14:04   Link #15
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Yeah, I was confused about that as well, but as I pointed out in my previous post, aohige and some others from AP corrected that error. Turns out the cards point towards each other, after all.....

BTW, I'm gonna guess it now: Shakky is Hancock's mother. It certainly would explain why she seems to know her so well.....
Or....she could just be from Amazon Lily and knew her when she first went to Amazon Lily.
Old 2010-07-07, 14:13   Link #16
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
I don't think Usopp will remain the weakest for the entire series. I think his abilities will eventually spike. His father is supposed to be an extremely powerful fighter. His training on the Island is supposed to give him powerful hand to hand combat techniques to go with his marksman abilities.
Oda explained quite awhile ago that Ussop (and Nami) would always be at the bottom of the Strawhat power rankings specifically because they are the most "human" (i.e. comaprable to real human). So, even if Usopp becomes a superb marksman, don't expect him to even equal the top tier Strawhats, let alone the top tier characters.
Old 2010-07-07, 14:16   Link #17
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Or....she could just be from Amazon Lily and knew her when she first went to Amazon Lily.

Sure, that could be the case, but it's more fun to throw out wild theories! Heh, this actually reminds me of when I made the wild guess of Hancock being Luffy's mother when she was first introduced (and honestly, I still would kinda prefer that over the love sickness plot twist, but it doesn't really matter now since it was recently revealed that Hancock's too young to be Luffy's mom anyway, so yeah)......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Wait... Rayleigh could be her father?

He doesn't have to be her father. In fact, I don't really see any indication that Rayleigh and Shakky are lovers, anyhow. She could've just had a one night stand with some random dude and never bothered with him again (which seems to be the case for many of the Kuja amazons who haven't succumbed to the love disease).....
Old 2010-07-07, 14:23   Link #18
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

So, Rayleigh wants his vivre card stay in an accessible location, to update the rest of the strawhats, but in a way that prevents them to unite using a risky method. I can agree to that. With Rayleigh we have a superior haki user, that is of course not a fish men, and superior enough for Boa to let go with no problem.

Now, what is the plan. Stay in that island and wait for the others to come there, or go to a better place that may be more fitted for his training. But, I am guessing with Rayleigh's presence there, and obvious interference, the matter is not going to be solely finding the one piece anymore...

And if the bird thing is true for Chopper, then the rest should also find their means of travel without much difficulty. However, if Chopper couldn't get an upgrade of his powers already (meaning changing into a semi-giant form without losing his consciousness), then what was the use of a separation....
Old 2010-07-07, 14:28   Link #19
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Oda explained quite awhile ago that Ussop (and Nami) would always be at the bottom of the Strawhat power rankings specifically because they are the most "human" (i.e. comaprable to real human). So, even if Usopp becomes a superb marksman, don't expect him to even equal the top tier Strawhats, let alone the top tier characters.
He may have just been talking about the first act. One Piece seems like it's heading into it's "Z" act where a lot of things will change.

His unique abilities amongst the crew justify him joining the top 4. Franky, Chopper, Nico Robin, Nami, and Brook have support abilities where Usopp is supposed to be primarily a combatant like Zoro and Luffy.... (since they're aren't trained in medicine, archeology/anthropology, navigation, engineering, cooking, and old school piracy).

Luffy is good at brawling. Zoro is good at slicing stuff up and taking damage. Usopp is good at blowing stuff up and taking tons of damage (does lying and BSing actually count as a support skill?)
Old 2010-07-07, 14:29   Link #20
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Things change.