AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf II - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 63 57.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 30.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 9.09%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 2.73%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.91%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-13, 14:32   Link #41
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
I would guess she bought it on credit at the then current price. She then sold the pryite at the same time Lawrence did, so Horo should have come out ahead since the price had gone up a lot. Horo just needs to then pay Deanna for the pryite at the price she bought it for. Deanna takes a loss based on what she could have gotten for it, but since the pyrite had already gone up in value when she sold to Horo, she still comes out ahead and she can buy back the same amount of pyrite at a much lower price once the market stabilizes. That's assuming of course that Deanna even cares much about the money, and didn't do it as a favor to a fellow god.
She'd have had to use an intermediary anyway; since most people won't deal with alchemists. Horo was as good as any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah that's pretty much how it went. It's not like Horo needed cash to get the pyrite since she could pay for it with the money she got from selling it. Credit can be nice when it doesn't nearly break you financially like it did for Lawrence last arc.

It was a pretty nice conclusion for things. Definitely a stressful time for Lawrence right to the end. Getting the news that he couldn't get the pyrite from Deanna really hit him hard. Guy was just about to throw in the towel and give up. All the work hinged on having enough pyrite to pull off his plan. Thank god for Lanto being there. Lawrence was right last episode in that his fate might rest on that kid's shoulders.
I think we all learnt an important lesson there. "When discouraged, and about to give up on a business venture, think of naked Horo."

Quote:
Was great when he made that final sale and Horo just dropped down that larger sack of pyrite. Of course he couldn't resist making that comment about Deanna and getting a punch to the side .
Yes, that comment was a vile accuracy.

Speaking of Deanna, why do so many think she's a raven? Her feather are white. So... Snowy owl? It'd go with that bookish image of her. And the climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
No wonder why I was bewitched by Deanna...so she isn't human afterall! And I just love how the entire arc ended with such an amusing twist. So it was Deanna pulling the strings from behind the scenes to test Lawrence and there seems to be some sort of mutual dislike going on between Horo and her...either it is the fact that a wolf god and a bird god aren't good together or that Deanna has taken a sort of fancy to Lawrence (but nothing passed that). Still, it is a shame that this seems to be it for her screen time unless she still has a bigger role to preform.
I don't think Deanna dislikes Horo. She did go out of her way to help her, after all. She just refused to go along with Horo's scheme. It could be because it involved lying. Or it could be because she thought her own plan was better, healthier for Horo and Lawrence's relationship.

As for Horo... I guess part of it is Deanna refusing to do as Horo asked. Part of it is plain jealousy. I'm not sure if it's actual dislike for Deanna herself, but I don't think Horo likes not being the oldest, wisest person in the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby View Post
"Ill never forgive what that guy for what he said"

Is it written in the Novels what Amati said to her?
I wonder what he told her.
Not that I remember. My guess is that he wanted her to be a stay-at-home wife, or at best a princess in a tower. Treasured, but not respected the way someone with the brains and will of the Wise Wolf Horo should be.

As the arc concludes, I'm left with one question: how often do those guys burn their town to the ground? You know, what with setting a giant straw effigy on fire in the middle of a town built of wood? Embers flying everywhere, no real way to control where the effigy itself will fall...
Old 2009-08-13, 14:42   Link #42
zetsubou-san
suicidal self-flagellator

Is this the end of Deanna and Mark? Deanna's backstory really intrigues me though - would be great if they somehow get it into the show but I'm not counting on it.

So... a bird and a wolf eh? That would mean the world is populated by possibly hundreds of paganistic gods that've gone underground with the rise of the church.
Old 2009-08-13, 14:42   Link #43
oompa loompa

The figure at around 0:45 is becoming more prominent with each passing episode right? Or am I losing my marbles?
Old 2009-08-13, 15:07   Link #44
Yuutsu

Oh my god. : O

I can't believe I ever doubted you, Horo!!! I'm so sorry!
Old 2009-08-13, 16:50   Link #45
Mr. Anime

Kneel down yuutsu and hopefully she will forgive ur rudeness^^
Old 2009-08-13, 18:52   Link #46
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
Spoiler:
yeh you're right. Although I thought she would be a Raven due to her dark hair...but then again, ravens have black feathers and her feathers were white...so that idea goes out the window.
Old 2009-08-13, 19:34   Link #47
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
As the arc concludes, I'm left with one question: how often do those guys burn their town to the ground? You know, what with setting a giant straw effigy on fire in the middle of a town built of wood? Embers flying everywhere, no real way to control where the effigy itself will fall...
They call it "urban renewal"

Yeah, that scene amused me to no end.

It's amusing to see that this big, suspensefull arc was mostly due to a series of misunderstandings and playing around. Lawrence was never in danger of losing Horo, in fact she was milking Amati with a vengeance.

It's amusing to see the kind of schemes she thought up to try to make up with Lawrence. She could have gone and found him but NOOOO! The great and wise Horo had to get creative; first by trying to make him mad with a marriage certificate, then by trying to have the storyteller tell Lawrence a bogus story about Yoitsu's survival, all this so he'd be forced to come to the inn to tell her...

I think Horo is sometimes too smart for her own good...
Old 2009-08-13, 21:22   Link #48
greenskye

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNGO View Post
Basically... I love the show and all but they spent so many episodes for this. And I kinda expected more out of all this Horo emotional breakdown, I know they got closer and all but for all these episodes I just expected something bigger.
I agree with this. I did enjoy the tension during this arc, but I have a hard time liking a story with so little interaction with Horo, no matter how well written it is.

I guess what I'm really saying is this: If I only get 13 episodes with my beloved Horo, every damn episode should have her in it ;)

I agree with the others that Deanna and Mark should stick around, this show would benefit from more persistent side characters.
Old 2009-08-13, 22:08   Link #49
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Honestly, I enjoyed the focus on Lawrence. It was nice to finally see him figure out just how important Horo is to him, even if he doesn't really know how to put it into words yet.
Old 2009-08-13, 23:10   Link #50
Yuutsu

I'm not really sure if this question is relevant to this thread, but... the sixth episode concludes the third novel, right?
Old 2009-08-13, 23:23   Link #51
AKnightWhoSaysNi!
Bring me a shrubbery!

And that's a 10.

Perfect end to the volume. Lawrence screwed up every step of the way, but Horo kept her cool and stuck with him. Great, great stuff.
Old 2009-08-14, 01:31   Link #52
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuutsu View Post
I'm not really sure if this question is relevant to this thread, but... the sixth episode concludes the third novel, right?
yes, they did one episode per chapter.
Old 2009-08-14, 02:04   Link #53
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjacat View Post
They call it "urban renewal"

Yeah, that scene amused me to no end.

It's amusing to see that this big, suspensefull arc was mostly due to a series of misunderstandings and playing around. Lawrence was never in danger of losing Horo, in fact she was milking Amati with a vengeance.

It's amusing to see the kind of schemes she thought up to try to make up with Lawrence. She could have gone and found him but NOOOO! The great and wise Horo had to get creative; first by trying to make him mad with a marriage certificate, then by trying to have the storyteller tell Lawrence a bogus story about Yoitsu's survival, all this so he'd be forced to come to the inn to tell her...

I think Horo is sometimes too smart for her own good...
Somehow, I get images of the Burning Man festival when I saw that torching up the strawman scene.

Anyhow, all's well that ends well. Looks like there were quite a few schemes afoot and everything turned out for the best. The two definitely have some communication issues that I think generally got sorted out in the end though there will be other moments when that communication block will show up once more. Still, it was sweet the way the two reconciled. Couldn't ask for more than that.
Old 2009-08-14, 04:18   Link #54
therationalpi

A fantastic end to the arc. While I mostly watch this show for Horo, I loved the way they had her not appear in the last few episodes. It made the moment of her triumphant return all the more sweet.

Still, I can't help but feel sorry for Amati. He didn't seem to be a bad guy, just a little over confident. Ultimately, his downfall was trusting Horo. Funny, since Lawrence's plight was brought on because he didn't trust her.

The storytelling in this series never ceases to amaze me. How can rising pyrite prices leave you on the edge of your seat?
Old 2009-08-14, 04:19   Link #55
chinaboat

It occurs to me that being a bird, Deanna could go just about anywhere she pleased faster than anyone else - so she could show up in other areas - kinda the Jimmy Hoffa of the Alchemist's Guild.

I did like the arc but, really, when is Lawrence gonna grow a set of balls? And what did Amarti do that was so wrong, other than being young and impetuous, that everyone dislikes him so much? He wasn't any dumber than Lawrence, he just didn't have two gods to bail him out.
Old 2009-08-14, 05:07   Link #56
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
excellent episode
the ending makes up for the lack of horo in past episodes
Old 2009-08-14, 05:19   Link #57
Jarmel

Great ending for a great emotional arc. I missed Horo and very much liked the twist at the end. I only hope they continue developing the emotional aspect of the anime along with the economics. Just fantastic.
Old 2009-08-14, 07:10   Link #58
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I think we all learnt an important lesson there. "When discouraged, and about to give up on a business venture, think of naked Horo."
It's definitely an important lesson to keep in mind . Once you follow that advice you'll be ready to not quit on anything.
Quote:
Speaking of Deanna, why do so many think she's a raven? Her feather are white. So... Snowy owl? It'd go with that bookish image of her. And the climate.
No idea on this one. Obviously when seeing the feathers you can't think Raven. Personally white feathers made me think of a dove and yet with Deanna's personality maybe a snowy owl would be more fitting.
Quote:
Not that I remember. My guess is that he wanted her to be a stay-at-home wife, or at best a princess in a tower. Treasured, but not respected the way someone with the brains and will of the Wise Wolf Horo should be.
I still think it was something about Lawrence. I mean considering how much he disliked Lawrence near the end of this I'd say it's pretty likely he said some rude things. Though you may be right in what Amati said.
Quote:
Haha yeah I wonder how many times they have to rebuild the city ? Mark was a pretty smart guy, but maybe he should have set up shop in a town that doesn't set things on fire. All it takes is for them to mess up or have a twist of fate and there goes the town.
Old 2009-08-14, 11:19   Link #59
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Naked Horo would stop any and all wars.

Or me dead in my tracks.
Old 2009-08-14, 11:27   Link #60
klare

it turned out as i have thought, its good Lawrence finally realised in the end

but the OP indicated this is not the end of Amati, he will be back, stronger
Closed Thread