AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-30, 17:44   Link #1381
CSakuraS
Canon Whore

If there is a spin-off, I hope it's about completely new characters with maybe only Viral getting a cameo (because he's immortal and it would be great to see him again). Simon's story is over, and personally I'm satisfied with how it ended. He's not the type of guy who'd want to become immortal himself, even if he may be capable of it.

And besides, there are tons of other Spiral races out there and the Spiral Nemesis left to take care of. That makes for a lot of possibilities for new characters and storylines.
Old 2007-09-30, 18:10   Link #1382
terrus

watching the epilouge again i just realised that the narrator for the whole series was forty year old simon, they have the same voice! the seiyuu list on ANN confirms it as well
Old 2007-09-30, 19:17   Link #1383
juskaz

Since we're throwing theories around, I'd say the epilouge was the anti-spirals.
Old 2007-09-30, 21:36   Link #1384
Zekori

The end time skip was kind of a downer, but even the whole fight agianist the anti-spiral and tengen toppa in conjunction with the end felt like a setting for a continuation. Guessing if they ever want to expand the GL series, they left it open for that reason.

All in all, if we do see a continuation. I wouldn't mind seeing it in the perspective of a spiral becoming the Spiral Nemesis through plentiful, events and eventually becoming the protagonist-Antagonist sorta role.

Oh well, The End for now
Old 2007-10-01, 02:04   Link #1385
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

I've got a theory.

The prologue is Gainax's take on Arcadia of my Youth, since it's a big homage to Endless Orbit SSX. Say, Simon is living out his last days on Earth, when the Great Dimensional Government appears and enslaves the planet. Maybe they're denying the existance of the Spiral Nemesis or something, whatever the case, they have become all-powerful and are conquering the rest of the spiral worlds by force.

Simon isn't aware of this for a while because of his wanderings, but he eventually fights the agents of the Great Dimensional Government (they don't know who he is) and lands up with some scientist, possibly one of Reite + Makken's kids. The scientist has rebuilt what survived of the Daiganzan as a new spiral spaceship (not unlike Yamato!) based on the Gulapal technology (and equipped with a new type of Lagann) that he/she wants to use to use the ship to oppose the Great Dimensional Government. There is a skirmish and Simon is mortally wounded, but recovers via spiral power and he turns young while Boota becomes a human (Lord Genome mentioned Boota's evolution wouldn't normally take just seven years, but by at least twenty something should be happening). The scientist might die, but he/she entrusts the universe's fate to Simon. Oh, Simon also has spiral eyes at this time, which is why we didn't see those eyes in the prologue.

Simon escapes the planet and battles the Great Dimensional Government. Viral is a POW and his old ship, the Chou Ginga Dai Gurren, along with the original Gurren-Lagann, become his enemies at some point (not unlike the Deathshadow plot-line in Endless Orbit SSX) meaning Simon's new ship has to fight Chou Ginga Gurren-Lagann and possibly Ark and normal Gurren-Lagann.

At this point I don't know what to write since I haven't seen beyond that in Harlock SSX, but you guys get the picture.

Last edited by Malintex_Terek; 2007-10-01 at 02:21.
Old 2007-10-01, 08:52   Link #1386
7Th
Mixtape

Make Gimmy the villain. He's just made for that role.
Old 2007-10-01, 09:24   Link #1387
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I can't recall where I saw it (it might have been a scan from a magazine), it was quite some time ago, but a picture of the "captain" in the first scene of episode one, seemed to have his eyes covered by bandages. Now, since they're showing Simon in the epilogue with one "spiral" eye, could just that simply imply that:

- using too mich spiral power could apparently make your eyes become like that and furtherly make you blind
- the guy in that scene is the old Simon who's somehow managed to become young again (through spiral power, probably?)

This is just a wild speculation, based on the "all the stars are allies/enemies" lines and on Simon's spiral eye in the prologue. If this thoery would prove to be somehow true, then I guess Gainax does have in mind a sequel (although I still think it's not that necessary), most likely in the form of an OVA (I don't see them working on an other long TV serie anytime soon).
Old 2007-10-01, 12:46   Link #1388
jaziek
Does an elope taste good?

Sequel / Ova plot - my idea:

An old man sits in a room, resting peacefully. The core drill around his neck.
A young child (about 8) bounds into the room
. "Hey Grandpa Gimmy!" Hugs...
"come here little one, i have something i want to show you." pulls out the core drill. "you see this? this once belonged to a great man, a man to whom you owe your life. I'm passing it onto you, just as you he passed it onto me. I hope it gives you the power to achieve great things".
"wow......" Examines drill

FLASH! .. 15 year old version of little kid, fighting in some from of grapal. Getting the shit kicked out of him by some evil force. (could be some spirals from another planet). As a heavy blow is dealt to his grapal, he is thrown out of the cockpit and lands in a sheltered enclave. As he stares terrified at the enemy searching for him, the core drill starts to glow....

I think this way it would be awesome for fans, but also work as a standalone, with obvious cameos from viral, maybe the odd inspirational, psychological, deciding the fate of battle motivation from kamina and simon, standing side by side looking GARriffic.
Old 2007-10-01, 13:12   Link #1389
7Th
Mixtape

In their diplomatic mission, the Earth Confederacy Squadron is ambushed by an extremist Spiral Faction. The peace treaty is broken and Earth's army decimated. Gimmy and Darry, the current pilots of Gurren-Lagann try their best to avoid the conflict... however by saving an Spiral Colony hidden in the stars Darry's life is cut by the shot of an enemy sniper. Traumatized, Gimmy swears to reverse the process of life and succed where Simon failed. The consequences, however, shall take him to an unexpected path of solitud and doom.

Years later, the Universe is ruled by the Iron Hand of this Dark Spiral Warrior. Cue GL 2.
Old 2007-10-01, 23:27   Link #1390
durack

I'd say anything but the Good Rebels vs the Evil Empire plot, I've had enough of that junk from George Lucas.
Old 2007-10-02, 03:42   Link #1391
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

To further my rant of Gainax, I shall do a little Gainax Female Lead Body Count.
Nothing to do with Gurren Lagann, well maybe a little, but just mostly a Gainax bashing post.
Spoiler for endings of Gainax works:
Old 2007-10-02, 06:45   Link #1392
Dave1988
Kick reason to the curb!

Send a message via MSN to Dave1988
You forgot about Asuka from NGE.

Spoiler for lol GAINAX:
Old 2007-10-02, 08:27   Link #1393
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Yeah, Asuka as well.

In The Wings of Honneamise, the main female also had a distasteful experience ->
Spoiler:

In Abenobashi ->
Spoiler:

In Ebichu ->
Spoiler:

In Melody of Oblivion ->
Spoiler:

Well these are just very mild examples but it just shows Gainax likes to screw around with female characters.
Old 2007-10-02, 08:30   Link #1394
7Th
Mixtape

Mahoro remained dead; her reappearance was pretty much the delusion of a dying man… Gainax completely altered the manga ending and created depression among the fanatics.

And in MoO pretty much the whole female cast died, though. That, and for some reason I'm uncertain of the fact that Sayoko really survived...
Old 2007-10-02, 08:57   Link #1395
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
Yeah, Asuka as well.

In The Wings of Honneamise, the main female also had a distasteful experience ->
Spoiler:

In Abenobashi ->
Spoiler:

In Ebichu ->
Spoiler:

In Melody of Oblivion ->
Spoiler:

Well these are just very mild examples but it just shows Gainax likes to screw around with female characters.
Ah, but the issue with your theory, is you are assuming Gainax is exclusively abusing female characters.

Can you say, with a straight face, that Gainax does not like to screw around with male characters?
Old 2007-10-02, 09:02   Link #1396
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Ah, but the issue with your theory, is you are assuming Gainax is exclusively abusing female characters.

Can you say, with a straight face, that Gainax does not like to screw around with male characters?
The problem is, Gainax screwed the male characters by screwing around with the female characters. Can you tell me that there is not one screwed Gainax male that has nothing to do with the girl he likes? Gainax is probably one of the few studios that center most of it's genre around a guy and a girl and consistently doing something nasty to the girl to screw the guy.

Sure almost all animes in Japan involve a guy and a girl, but Gainax is consistent in it's way of handling such.
Old 2007-10-02, 09:09   Link #1397
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
sigh, whats the point of complaining now; Gainax killing characters is not new... at least they give us a proper ending this time, not some congratulation..

I don't like the ending that much too, but heck its a great series up until the point where they defeat the anti-spiral, give them that much credit.
Old 2007-10-02, 09:15   Link #1398
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

I'm not complaining. I've already said my share on Nia's loss. Now I'm ranting on Gainax. Once in a while, u need people like me to sprout rubbish in some thread. Next, I'm gonna wait till Rebuild of Eva is over and witness how they kill off all the girls this time in their supposed "new ending".
Old 2007-10-02, 10:14   Link #1399
Dave1988
Kick reason to the curb!

Send a message via MSN to Dave1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
I'm not complaining. I've already said my share on Nia's loss. Now I'm ranting on Gainax. Once in a while, u need people like me to sprout rubbish in some thread. Next, I'm gonna wait till Rebuild of Eva is over and witness how they kill off all the girls this time in their supposed "new ending".

The "new" ending will be an even bigger mindfuck than CONGRATULATIONS! Youjust watch
Old 2007-10-02, 10:52   Link #1400
jaziek
Does an elope taste good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1988 View Post
The "new" ending will be an even bigger mindfuck than CONGRATULATIONS! Youjust watch
That. Is. Not. Possible.