Old 2008-11-28, 14:34   Link #422
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Translated info on the Tieren Kyitwo from Gundam 00P:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron200
[grey box on second page]

Tieren Kyitwo is an "all-terrain trial type", a prototype of the next generation mainstay unit. It has 2 pilot seats.

A test unit belonging to HRL's Next Generation Development Technical Laboratory. There are 2 seats in the cockpit, the front seat is eqquipped with the "Surround Monitor" used in Taozi, the back seat uses the default equipment, (something about being a test unit and special system). The data from this unit is used in Tieren Taozi so in a sense the Kyitwo is a proto-Taozi.

Weapons:
- 500mm Multistep Acceleration Gun
- 30mm Machine Gun
- 30mm Turn Type Machine Gun

Some rough stuff from the main text:
- The HRL is on the way to develop the next-gen mainstay unit "MSJ-07"
- Kyitwo is a prototype of it
- The biggest point of this unit is that it is to operate in both land and outer space without changing equipment, which AEU, Union haven't been able to achieve
- On the way tha data is used to make "MSJ-06II-SP Tieren Super Soldier type (Taozi)"
- The appearance of the Gundams hindered the project and it didn't realise
- A small number of "MSJ-06III-A Tieren All-terrain type" (Taozi tweaked for normal soldier use) are deployed to battle

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-28, 14:45   Link #423
RAVNEN

Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
So it is the prototype for Tierin Taozi,strange.Look like HRL have more super soldier in their army other than Soma,interesting.
Old 2008-11-28, 15:47   Link #424
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVNEN View Post
So it is the prototype for Tierin Taozi,strange.Look like HRL have more super soldier in their army other than Soma,interesting.
The implication of the info though is that the Kyitwo and the All Terrain Type (aka Mass Produced Taozi) are made for normal soldiers, and that the Taozi is the only type designed for supersoldiers. With Soma being the only supersoldier, it can be assumed that only 1 Taozi was ever built.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2008-11-28, 21:50   Link #425
Ottocycle

It's actually called by that name? Until now the Tieren's have had Chinese names. But there isn't the K-syllable in Mandarin Chinese...weird.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-29, 00:44   Link #426
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Well, that's how they romanized the name for the thing... see here:

Old 2008-11-29, 00:46   Link #427
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Don't you guys think the Kyitwo somewhat resembles the GP02?
Old 2008-11-29, 14:14   Link #428
RAVNEN

Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratoSpear View Post
Don't you guys think the Kyitwo somewhat resembles the GP02?
Yeah,when I first look at it.

If Fon Spaak want to put a GN Tau Drive on his Astraea,would it be like this?

Old 2008-11-29, 22:57   Link #429
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Well, that's how they romanized the name for the thing... see here:
Spoiler:
Ah, I see a misromanization(or misMandarinization? ) there, thanks for the scan. It says Kyitwo, but the Japanese says Chiitsuu. The closest in-context phonetic match I can think of would be 棋子(qi zi, pronounced quite near to the Japanese), and means 'chess piece' or 'pawn', probably relating to the mainstay role that it was going to have on the battlefield.
Old 2008-11-29, 23:40   Link #430
furato
Chronic Googler

Probably 'kyi' as in Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi? Kyi in her name is pronounced 'chii' like the katakana.
furato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 00:13   Link #431
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by furato View Post
Probably 'kyi' as in Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi? Kyi in her name is pronounced 'chii' like the katakana.
Well since all the Tierens so far have got a name that has some correlation to the suit itself, we'll need a meaning to the name, and that's how I got my conclusion.
Old 2008-11-30, 00:47   Link #432
Celestial
妹ちゃん

How about 齐握 (qi wo), which roughly means 'holding everything at the same time', referring to Kyitwo's arnaments?

For all we know, 'Kyitwo' might in fact be a chinese dialect word...
Celestial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 00:49   Link #433
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

With the way the Kyitwo was designed to be a multirole all-terrain unit, that translation actually makes sense.

Old 2008-11-30, 01:33   Link #434
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
How about 齐握 (qi wo), which roughly means 'holding everything at the same time', referring to Kyitwo's arnaments?

For all we know, 'Kyitwo' might in fact be a chinese dialect word...
So far I observed that the names tend to strive for phonetic similarity(sounds about the same) with the original words in Mandarin, and not just similarity with the pinyin form. So I doubt it would make sense, since it sounds quite far off from the Katakana, チーツー(chii-tsuu).

Also, there has already been a precedent for substituting the character 子 (zi) with "tsuu", in the Tieren Taozi.

As for dialects, I doubt the creators of these bother with them so far, since everything before has been in Mandarin.
Old 2008-11-30, 02:00   Link #435
Celestial
妹ちゃん

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
So far I observed that the names tend to strive for phonetic similarity(sounds about the same) with the original words in Mandarin, and not just similarity with the pinyin form. So I doubt it would make sense, since it sounds quite far off from the Katakana, チーツー(chii-tsuu).

Also, there has already been a precedent for substituting the character 子 (zi) with "tsuu", in the Tieren Taozi.

As for dialects, I doubt the creators of these bother with them so far, since everything before has been in Mandarin.
But I don't see any resemblance between Kyitwo and a chess piece...?

And in any case, the romanization is usually a lot more accurate than the Katakana.
Old 2008-11-30, 02:13   Link #436
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
But I don't see any resemblance between Kyitwo and a chess piece...?

And in any case, the romanization is usually a lot more accurate than the Katakana.
Precisely why I presumed the romanization this time was a mistake. If Qizi is correct, it's probably referring to it being a tool of war, as a chess piece would be on a chessboard. To you it might be dragging it a little too far, but to me it's just a case of 'I don't see why not'.

As for me, I'll tend to believe the Katakana far more than the romanization, simply because we're looking at a work created by Japanese. Until I'm proven wrong that is. Since I'd think that their cycle of coming up with names is:
1. Think up a fitting name to the suit in Japanese.
2. Translate it to Chinese.
3. Use Japanese phonetic version of the Chinese name as the official name.
4. Romanize it.
5. Magazine.
Old 2008-11-30, 03:18   Link #437
Celestial
妹ちゃん

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
Precisely why I presumed the romanization this time was a mistake. If Qizi is correct, it's probably referring to it being a tool of war, as a chess piece would be on a chessboard. To you it might be dragging it a little too far, but to me it's just a case of 'I don't see why not'.

As for me, I'll tend to believe the Katakana far more than the romanization, simply because we're looking at a work created by Japanese. Until I'm proven wrong that is. Since I'd think that their cycle of coming up with names is:
1. Think up a fitting name to the suit in Japanese.
2. Translate it to Chinese.
3. Use Japanese phonetic version of the Chinese name as the official name.
4. Romanize it.
5. Magazine.
I won't argue with you on this, since we're all entitled to our own opinions, and I've got to admit, my knowledge of chinese and japanese is really quite limited, so I guess I can't insist that I'm right.
Old 2008-12-08, 10:00   Link #438
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

I googled briefly, but had no luck with finding much of anything on the Union-centric 00 CD Drama.

Bottom line up front, can anyone tell me the name (First and last) of Graham's superior that he shot down? And did they ever mention the name of his daughter, who he wanted Graham to marry?
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 20:47   Link #439
rebel one
Do the Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
I googled briefly, but had no luck with finding much of anything on the Union-centric 00 CD Drama.

Bottom line up front, can anyone tell me the name (First and last) of Graham's superior that he shot down? And did they ever mention the name of his daughter, who he wanted Graham to marry?
Sleg Slature or something that sounds like that. His daughter's name is never mentioned. It's more like he died in a kamikazi attack rather than being shot down.
rebel one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-09, 17:27   Link #440
miles316

Smile Graham superior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel one View Post
Sleg Slature or something that sounds like that. His daughter's name is never mentioned. It's more like he died in a kamikazi attack rather than being shot down.
Did he go nuts and attacked Graham.
miles316 is offline   Reply With Quote