AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-13, 12:59   Link #1281
Destined_Fate

It has happened a lot in other Mecha series in the past few years, though not all of them make it a main point. Look at 00 Setsuna, he has girls everywhere but he never showed any real interest in anyone but Gundam.

I don't think that was attraction, hopefully it isn't the case either. He's much older than her from the looks of him. An adult even and she's barely a teenager considering her youthful looks.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 21:49   Link #1282
TurquoiseThyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Well, the latest episode gave us more hints on what Secrets are. They immediatly knew that the Scrub Coral was a fake and in retaliation it started attacking the Japanese who were dumbfounded by its sudden change in prorities. Since before they always went after Scrub Corals and usually ignored humans unless they got in the zone. This thing didn't even care about the zone stuff and went straight after them, guess it was severely ticked off over being tricked with a fake even if the Japanese thought it was the real deal.
I had a different impression of what happened to make the Secret attack the Japanese fleet. I thought Gazelle and crew planted full size Quartz on one of the ships in the harbor. Given the choice between Quartz powder or full size Quartz the Secret just chose the bigger bait. This is why Pied Piper administration was so sure the kids would not be bothered by the Secret while retrieving the Quartz powder.
TurquoiseThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-13, 22:12   Link #1283
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseThyme View Post
I had a different impression of what happened to make the Secret attack the Japanese fleet. I thought Gazelle and crew planted full size Quartz on one of the ships in the harbor. Given the choice between Quartz powder or full size Quartz the Secret just chose the bigger bait. This is why Pied Piper administration was so sure the kids would not be bothered by the Secret while retrieving the Quartz powder.
Aside from being horribly unethical, doing that would have blown up the city, not just a boat. Furthermore, if Gazelle and co had hidden it, they wouldn't have complained about infiltrating the base later.
Old 2012-06-13, 23:53   Link #1284
TurquoiseThyme

I was indeed thinking it was unethical. An organization called Pied Piper sounds a bit sinister to me. Possibly whatever it was that attracted the Secret wasn't planted by Gazelle and co. But why were they there at on that hill side?

I probably need to rewatch the episode, I've been rewatching the first series and may not be remembering details too well from last week's episode. During my rewatch I'm starting to think Christophe Blanc is Stoner has anyone else speculated this about his identity earlier in the thread?
TurquoiseThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 01:09   Link #1285
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseThyme View Post
I was indeed thinking it was unethical. An organization called Pied Piper sounds a bit sinister to me. Possibly whatever it was that attracted the Secret wasn't planted by Gazelle and co. But why were they there at on that hill side?
They were spying on the test, using a directional mic to get audio from the base.
Old 2012-06-14, 06:09   Link #1286
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
PoR is not canon
How convenient!
Quote:
Are you saying you fully need to comprehend an anime's plot within six episodes?
You know, I refuse to explain the same things over and over again to somebody who goes LALALA I'M NOT LISTENING whenever somebody expresses any dissatisfaction with a show he likes.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 06:35   Link #1287
ChocoBar9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
How convenient!
Yes it's convenient that the movie that was always build up as not being canon from the start is not canon

Can't say the same for AO
Quote:
You know, I refuse to explain the same things over and over again to somebody who goes LALALA I'M NOT LISTENING whenever somebody expresses any dissatisfaction with a show he likes.
The same person who ignores every refuted argument and comes off as irrational because he feels the need to express his opinion on a show he doesn't like
ChocoBar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 09:15   Link #1288
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

So... According to GG, there wouldn't be any Eureka Seven this week because of soccer...

...Yeah
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 13:18   Link #1289
SQA

Quote:
How convenient!

The Movie is "canon", but only in a way that hints at how this is a sequel.

[spoiler] The movie is a parallel universe story. They actually see the TV series version of Earth, but no one get to the planet. They were trying to get there but failed. They do leave some stellar dust for Axel Thurston and the 3 kids to look at, though.

So it's "in canon" with the TV series, post ep 50, but it has 0 effect on the series, at all.

But it points to there being multiple worlds (aside from the fact they specifically mentioned these existed several times), which is how it hints at AO's place to the E7 TV.[/spoiler
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 13:23   Link #1290
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I had enough of love triangles in mecha pilots for once. Sure it adds drama, but it doesn't happen that often. A team functions much better when there aren't as many emotional tangles to navigate through.

Besides, Fleur has eyes for the leader of the 3 Stooges. I give kudos to anime direction for not forgetting the guys in the background!
Yes very much this. I swear every mecha show has one of these these days and its come to be expected almost as a staple, but man it takes up so damn much focus in a lot of shows and is not at all the reason I watch mecha shows. Worse it leads shippers to expect it in the shows where iy clearly isnt much of a focus and fill up threads with non stop discussion so yeah, please tone down the shipper fodder in mecha a bit Japan.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 08:53   Link #1291
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

As someone who loves mecha and loves romance, I say there's not enough love triangles between mecha pilots. Going by mecha TV series from 2009 on (to keep this relatively recent), there's only Asura Cryin', Infinite Stratos, Gundam Age, and Aquarion Evol where those involved in a love triangle are mecha pilots, out of the dozen or so series.

Now if you go by whether a series has strictly a love triangle or not (don't have to be all mecha pilots), we have about half of them either having a straightforward romance or no romance at all...

o Viper's Creed
o Sore Kake Girl
o Rideback
x Asura Cryin
x Basquash
o Heroman
x Star Driver
o SRW OG: The Inspector
x Infinite Stratos
x Gundam Age
x Guilty Crown
o Rinne
x Aquarion Evol
o Eureka 7 AO (yes, I'm betting on this series having no love triangles at all, going by the original E7)

And that's not counting the many movies/OVAs, of which don't usually sport love triangles most of the time simply because they don't have the time to develop them.

If anything, mecha series usually is pretty straightforward with romance unless the source is harem to begin with, or its Kawamori making it (who basically wrote the book on love triangle mecha anime).

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 10:19   Link #1292
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Apart from Viper's Creed, the other o shows had female pilots as mains, and so less was placed on shipping.

And SRW is the only one that takes the mecha anime back to when it was just about hugeass robots gratuitiously bashing one another, and trumpeting it as though it were a virtue.

So that leaves the disturbing feeling that based on the stats and the general trend in anime, if the protagonist mecha pilot is male, there will be a high chance of a harem/triangle. In a sense, its a sense of dread burned into me when harem/triangle situations abound in anime is infecting my "simple" world of mecha (which is supposed to be hugeass robots bashing each other, sans everything else inserted to try and make the series more 'real'.)

So far E7AO has steered clear or a triangle and even had Fleur blush for someone other than Ao, that's why I was approving of this. Hopefully it will steer clear of the other traps, KISS, and we'll have another winner. It may not be as awesome as the original was, but E7 was a tough act to follow. So as long as it ends well, with good pacing, and few cheap tricks, I'd declare AO a success.
Old 2012-06-16, 00:50   Link #1293
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Spoiler for Newtype scan:
Old 2012-06-16, 01:35   Link #1294
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Spoiler for Newtype scan:
Jiiiiii....>.>

Those two sure get along...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 05:08   Link #1295
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

So Fleur hijacked the heroine spot?
Old 2012-06-16, 06:24   Link #1296
Arya

Well, not that I'm surprised, well a bit sure to be honest. I thought that they would have kept Fleur / Ao thing less evident. That picture seems to imply something more serious is coming. Or it's a big red herring. At first glance they even seems to be hand in hand.
Anyways my idea on this particular matter is that they could follow three different ways.
The first is the more standard one and less favorable; since the settings/feeling seem to be more generic than I expected (underage boy getting a big robot and already kicking asses, teammates under-powered, over-powered villain, etc) at least to me, the love triangle/polygon would fit perfectly with a generic story. If this was the case.
Second case, it really is a red herring, but why? To give the fans something to chitchat waiting for the plot to move? instead of arguing on how much this sequel is worthy/unworthy
Third case, Naru is really a bitch and for once the MC should work really hard to get her back on his side. That could or could not imply a love triangle, but with a different settings that would be very interesting, and my most favorable case. And the less likely one.

Anyways in this particular series I would prefer avoiding a love triangle, first because I like both Naru and Fleur so I don't wanna choose. Secondly for the higher chances to follow the path of another series airing these days where all the haters have forced me to refrain from following that particular sub-forum.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 08:02   Link #1297
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

From the ninth episode it makes sense at how "Truth" has been moving for a long time.

Spoiler:

The guy, seriously, gives me the creeps and annoys me. They sure want to tease about exactly what could be his true goals and motivations.

But everything revolves with Eureka, the Nirvash, and the Scub Coral.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 08:53   Link #1298
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Pretty much yeah, considering that they didn't make her the daughter of the president for no good reason. Still, I'm expecting Naru to come back in full force maybe in the second half (kinda like Xam'd), after we delve more into the 'Truth'.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-16, 20:52   Link #1299
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
I certainly hope so as Fleur is a more palatable heroine imo. Mecha pilot, cute, intelligent, not sickly....
Old 2012-06-16, 23:46   Link #1300
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
Mecha pilot, cute, intelligent, not sickly....
Maybe we'd warm up to Naru once we got to know her better.
You know, if the show bothered to spend time on her.

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen