Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-22, 19:06   Link #141
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

A few screenshots of Episode 4:

Another blush! Tama wins!

Seems like Kirino is a bit catty today.....

"You're cute, too."

"Hitting people might be fun!"

"BIG PRIZE! I want a big prize!"

Tama-chan has changed her hairstyle! Kawaii!
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-22, 22:57   Link #142
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
EDIT: oops, forgot the spoiler tags
Spoiler for episode 4:

i guess i'll be using these often for saimoe 2008

禁則事項です

Last edited by Mecha_Trueno; 2007-10-22 at 23:13.
Mecha_Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 00:44   Link #143
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 4 ~ this series just keeps getting better and better whaaa ~
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 02:38   Link #144
NakedAngelX

Everytime i see potato head i wanna chop it into pieces lol...
Spoiler for Ep 4:
Old 2007-10-23, 03:01   Link #145
Anachronism
Into Infinite Obscurity

Has episode 4 been subbed or are you people watching a raw? I've been watching Huzzah & Doremi's subs and they're only up to episode 2.
Anachronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 03:18   Link #146
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
RAWs
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedAngelX View Post
Spoiler for Ep 4:
lol! yep i wanna chop him up as well XD

mr potato head...
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 03:56   Link #147
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachronism View Post
Has episode 4 been subbed or are you people watching a raw? I've been watching Huzzah & Doremi's subs and they're only up to episode 2.
Korean sub, which usually comes out within 12 hours or broadcasting. You can see it at the bottom of this pic:

Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 18:24   Link #148
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
ep 4 ~ this series just keeps getting better and better whaaa ~
Spoiler:
tama-chan says "anime wa saikou desu, anime banzai"
... konata agrees!

Quote:
Spoiler for Ep 4:
uhh...... dunno about you, but miyamiya still seems psycho to me not that i have a problem with that

禁則事項です
Old 2007-10-23, 21:19   Link #149
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachronism View Post
I've been watching the raw. Between the manga, the Japanese that I've picked up from fansubbing, and actually studying kendo, it's not all that hard to follow....
Futaba-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-23, 23:56   Link #150
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Episode 1 kendo notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post
Be interested in them showing a more complete view of kendo training since it seems like you only get bits and pieces of it in most animes.
I'm only a beginner (I just got my bogu), but I can offer a few comments on the kendo that they have been showing. (Hopefully, someone more experienced can correct any mistakes.) The manga goes into greater detail about a number of aspects at various points; we'll see how much of that finds its way into the anime.

Anyway, in episode 1:

Ishida: "I'll assemble them, my five warriors!" -- In Kendo, in addition to individual competition, there are also team competitions between schools, clubs, and even national teams. Each team gets five competitors, who each fight one match against a specified opponent on the other team, and the team that wins more matches (or which has more total points if there's a tie) wins the team match.

After the credits, we start with Kirino in the dojo (training hall) doing suburi (practice swinging). This is a very basic drill, practicing strikes against an imaginary opponent while stepping back and forth in okuri ashi (sliding step) -- in this case, striking to kote (wrist level). She's doing really, really well: her strikes all come straight down the centre of her body and stop dead at exactly the same spot every time. It's probably cheaper to animate that way than to show the shinai wobbling around, but I'm still horribly envious. :-)

She's also making a good strong kiai (shout) with every strike, and doing a good job of synchronizing her shout (and spirit/intention), her strike, and her foot movements. Doing that is called ki-ken-tai-ichi (spirit, sword, and body all as one), and getting it right is necessary to score a valid point in competition. Notice that her heels are off the ground, which is correct, especially for the rear one.

All in all, she's starting off the series by setting a very good example, especially since she's focusing very seriously on her drill all by herself. Ishida-sensei, by contrast, is committing a significant breach of etiquette by using his cell phone inside the dojo, and is not setting such a good example by ducking out on practice and displaying such weak spirit.

Kirino: "Let's aim for the nationals!" -- There are a series of district and prefectural tournaments leading to a national high school kendo tournament a la Koshien in baseball. It's a very lofty goal.

Ishida breaking the overhead light: I'll confess to having skid marks on the ceiling of my apartment from attempts at indoor suburi. :-) Most dojos have higher ceilings than the typical house or apartment, and since a shinai ("bamboo blade") is roughly four feet long, you need 10 foot ceilings or higher to have enough overhead clearance. And even higher ceilings if you study the naginata (7' halberd). Anyway, breaking the light is one of those "it's sooooo true" moments.

Ishida: "You're putting too much stress on your right hand." -- Most of the strength in a kendo strike comes from the left hand, not the right. The left hand grips the end of the tsuka (hilt) very tightly, and provides most of the power for the strike; the right hand is only used for steering, and to stop the swing at the end. Putting too much oomph behind the right hand causes a crooked swing, and is known as "chopping wood;" it's a common beginner mistake, and one that can creep in to a more advanced student's form under pressure.

Kirino taking off her men (mask/helmet): The white cloth she's wearing underneath her men is called a tenugui. It soaks up sweat, and can also be used to wipe off your face and equipment; you always wear one under the men. They're frequently printed with slogans, and major kendo and naginata events will have souvenir tenuguis for sale. I have one from the recent naginata world championships, for example (a sempai brought it back for me), and another from a high-level kendo demonstration in Kyoto a few years ago.

Kirino is wearing a white keikogi (top) with blue hakama (big pleated trousers that resemble a split skirt). Blue, white, and black are all permitted colours in kendo, although a white hakama is never worn with a coloured gi. Ishida-sensei is wearing a blue kendogi; at this school, the boys seem to wear blue and the girls white. White is a little more traditional for girls and women; in fact, an all-white costume for women is most traditional of all. But it's not universal, and when we see the rival team later, the girls all wear blue.

Ishida-sensei: "Now that you know, get Saya to come back!" -- I'm not sure whether all Japanese dojos have this (we don't at my school), or just school clubs with formal teams, but a name tag board with tags listing the school or team's members is traditional, and is actually a plot point in Mai-HiME.

Kawazoe dojo student: "She didn't even break a sweat!" -- Kendo keiko (sparring) is very intense aerobic exercise (witness Kirino's squeeing over how much the club is sweating in episode 2); after sparring a whole class full of adult men, Tamaki should be drenched in sweat and breathing hard. The fact that she isn't shows just how strong her kendo is. Also notice her extremely traditional all-white uniform.

Kirino: "...and the kote smell, too." -- They really do. All the bogu (protective gear) does, after it's been worn for any significant length of time. The visual gag with the cat keeling over from the stinky bogu isn't much of an exaggeration; our whole dojo smells awful after keiko. In general, bogu goes through three stages: 1) makes you turn blue from the blue dye in it; 2) smells like ass; 3) needs replacing.

Danjirou: "Sensei! I wanna wear bogu and swing the shinai, too!" -- New students don't generally get in to bogu for several months to a year. (At my school, it's a whole year; I only have mine because I also study the naginata, and have a higher rank in that art). I'm not sure why Danjirou was told that he couldn't start out with a shinai; we got ours on day 1.

Ishida-sensei: "Kawazoe Tamake from Class 1-9." -- In the background Danjirou is complaining about how rotten the proffered kote smell (we later see him sniffing and rejecting a men), and in the manga, he goes through this with all the club's bogu, refusing to put any of it on until Toyama forces him.

Danjirou: "This is how you hold a shinai!" -- No, it isn't. See Kirino or Tamaki for examples.

Miyako: "Dan-kun, you're so cool!" -- No comment. :-)

Danjirou: "This is how you thrust." -- No, someone has been watching too much Errol Flynn. See Tamaki in episode 2, or Toyama using Dan-kun for target practice.

Toyama: "Get up, freshman! Your sempai is going to do some keiko with you." -- In real keiko, the more senior student (sempai or sensei) acts as the motodachi (the target for the attack) and lets the junior student do the attacking... and NOT the other way around.

Toyama: "Now, let's practice kote." -- The part of the kote (gauntlets) that extends up the wrist is supposed to be the target; the fact that Toyama is intentionally missing the bogu to hit exposed skin, and that he's forcing his kouhai to be the motodachi, makes it obvious that he's a bully.

Toyama: "Next, we'll practice tsuki." -- Thrusting (as is explained in episode 2) is a more advanced and dangerous technique; a beginner shouldn't be involved in it at all.

Kirino: "A lot of people left the club because of him." -- The target on the men (helmet/mask) is the top of the men, not the menbuton (wing part) by the base of the neck. Hitting below the forehead level hurts much more, and is not a valid target. That strike is obvious abuse, and not real kendo.

Kirino: "Take means bamboo, and katana means blade." -- The word "shinai" (竹刀, the bamboo practice swords used in kendo) is made up of the characters 竹 (take, or bamboo) and 刀 (katana, or sword). Hence "Bamboo Blade", the title of the series.

Last edited by Futaba-chan; 2007-10-24 at 01:11.
Futaba-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 01:16   Link #151
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba-chan View Post
Kirino taking off her men (mask/helmet): The white cloth she's wearing underneath her men is called a tenugui. It soaks up sweat, and can also be used to wipe off your face and equipment; you always wear one under the men. They're frequently printed with slogans, and major kendo and naginata events will have souvenir tenuguis for sale. I have one from the recent naginata world championships, for example (a sempai brought it back for me), and another from a high-level kendo demonstration in Kyoto a few years ago.
i wonder if there are any that have SOS団 printed on them

禁則事項です
Old 2007-10-24, 03:35   Link #152
Conri

Spoiler for Episode 4:
Quote:
Anyway, breaking the light is one of those "it's sooooo true" moments.
Ah, yes... I once broke the lights that used to be attached to my ceiling fan with my bokken. I never practiced in my room again. Thank you for the informative post. I've never taken any kendo classes, so it was very helpful.

Quote:
That will certainly go over well with Miyako...
Conri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-24, 10:20   Link #153
arkxkra
全力全開

really lol for this episode, when Miyo cover by the "black smoke",but the inside expression was make me laugh ...
Tama kawaii when she shy that time, next episode new hair style
Old 2007-10-25, 21:43   Link #154
fuzzles
anal retentive

Send a message via AIM to fuzzles
man you guys suck I can't wait for the english fansub : ( i'm looking through this thing to find out some info about when they're coming out but i keep finding spoilers! i didn't know miya miya was evil! : (
fuzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-26, 01:36   Link #155
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

This too is a lot of fun. Along with Minami-ke, Shugo Chara, and Kimikiss, I'll be adding this to my must see list this season.

In fact, I've missed Ryou Hirohashi since Kaleido Star. I'm glad she's in a leading role again. And after just finishing Claymore, I get more of Houko Kuwashima. Yes!

As I watch more of it, I find myself absolutely adoring Tama-chan more and more, almost as I did Sora Naegino.

Last edited by khryoleoz; 2007-10-27 at 15:12.
khryoleoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 04:31   Link #156
Blaat

Heh after seeing episode 3:
Spoiler:

Anyway who's the fifth girl? I haven't read about her in the manga (I didn't go that far) but I notice she tends to be on the background so far.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 04:35   Link #157
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I watched ep 3. I like black better than pink...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 09:16   Link #158
Midonin
Last Engage

I love how the Blade Braver music kicked in when the team was being assigned colors, and Miyamiya's brief "malfunction" before that black aura surrounded her. She may be cute/evil, but Miya is quickly becoming one my favorites. Saya is...well, random, as they said. One thing Bamboo Blade is doing a really good job with is its next episode previews - they're fun to watch.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 10:44   Link #159
Wavedash
Mayo on everything

Quote:
Danjirou: "Sensei! I wanna wear bogu and swing the shinai, too!" -- New students don't generally get in to bogu for several months to a year. (At my school, it's a whole year; I only have mine because I also study the naginata, and have a higher rank in that art). I'm not sure why Danjirou was told that he couldn't start out with a shinai; we got ours on day 1.
Overall, Futaba, you did a very good job outlining the kendo things they referred to. However, I should point out here that there is a big dichotomy between schools on shinai use.

Most traditional Japanese schools would not actually give a shinai to a new member because there are far more important things to do: teach footwork and build up basic constitution. Schools in the West tend to be more lax about this point because their training is typically less harsh and they also want to introduce students to the "cool" parts faster.

Chiba's shinai holding is actually not too good. She's making a beginner's mistake by not holding the left hand at the extreme bottom of the hilt. This is also a detail that might have been missed by the animators.

The conduct in the dojo presented in this anime is actually very bad. In real life a lot of them would be kicked out, but since this is a story we need to have some sort of drama to keep it going.
Wavedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 11:08   Link #160
Slice of Life
eyewitness

OK, from the synopsis I would have sworn that this is a harem anime but that's obviously not the case. But is it a sports anime or a "psycho girls hurt people with long sticks" anime? I'm rooting for the latter.

Tags
comedy, seinen