AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-09, 14:54   Link #241
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I don't see the strawhats getting a new recruit until they reach the New World. They still have that vast ocean to explore and that leaves plenty of room and time to acquire a new member. The most important thing right now is reaching the level where they will be able to defend themselves in the face of strong adversity.
Agreed. The Strawhat crew needs another 'Robin', a knowledgable character that can off-handedly reveal important information concerning a wide variety of topics. Only, this new 'Robin' would have knowledge centered on the New World (since she (and it will be a she) would be born and raised on he pirate infested waters) whereas Robin had a great deal of knowledge concerning the first part of the Grand Line.
Old 2009-08-09, 14:54   Link #242
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf777 View Post
Agreed. Though there has been theories of Mr. 2 and Hancock joining the Straw Hats; Hancock would be a nice touch, with her thing for Luffy, as well as balancing out the gender disparity, but I just don't see it. She still has her country to take care of and her crew and people, etc., not to mention until further notice she's still a Shichibukai. Also, the trend seems that the people who join Luffy are not established former pirates/characters. It's always the first time he'll meet the person, and (s)he'll be a relatively unknown entity before he meets them, then he solves their problem, and forcibly convinces them to join his crew (with the exceptions of Brook, Usopp and Robin, who joined without hesitation). So I agree, I don't think it'll happen, but it'd be nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
In addition to this, there's also the possibility that Hancock is stronger than Luffy. It's pretty much a rule/law that the captain is supposed to be the most powerful person in their pirate crew.
While all that is true. Oda is bringing a new era, like you (Lonewolf) had said on my page, Oda's theme is "times will change", Hancock is weaker than Luffy. The fact that shes obsessed with him is what makes her weaker than anything else. And on top of the "trend" of Luffy's new additions being unknowns, I highly doubt you'll come across "unknown" pirates in the New World. So any addition in the New World would be most likely a person that already has a bounty. On top of that, powerful additions to the crew wouldn't be a bad thing, the New World is filled with people "who power will only exceed our wildest imagination". Strong additions would probably be what can keep them in the game. By adding to their overall strength, because as its be hinted numerous times in the manga. The New World is nothing like the Grand Line. I think another testament to the strength and experience is that a lot of even seem to have been through and/or seen a Buster Call (based on the comment said in the chapter when the Vice-Admirals were lined up). So based on all that, I don't think Pirate Empress Boa Hancock joining the Strawhats would be that much of a bad idea (or out of the realm of possibility). And as we see with Whitebeard, just because Hancock is with the Strawhats doesn't mean she can't protect her country.

Last edited by AddiKtioNn-BlaCk; 2009-08-09 at 15:12.
Old 2009-08-09, 15:50   Link #243
lonewolf777
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddiKtioNn-BlaCk View Post
While all that is true. Oda is bringing a new era, like you (Lonewolf) had said on my page, Oda's theme is "times will change", Hancock is weaker than Luffy. The fact that shes obsessed with him is what makes her weaker than anything else. And on top of the "trend" of Luffy's new additions being unknowns, I highly doubt you'll come across "unknown" pirates in the New World. So any addition in the New World would be most likely a person that already has a bounty. On top of that, powerful additions to the crew wouldn't be a bad thing, the New World is filled with people "who power will only exceed our wildest imagination". Strong additions would probably be what can keep them in the game. By adding to their overall strength, because as its be hinted numerous times in the manga. The New World is nothing like the Grand Line. I think another testament to the strength and experience is that a lot of even seem to have been through and/or seen a Buster Call (based on the comment said in the chapter when the Vice-Admirals were lined up). So based on all that, I don't think Pirate Empress Boa Hancock joining the Strawhats would be that much of a bad idea (or out of the realm of possibility). And as we see with Whitebeard, just because Hancock is with the Strawhats doesn't mean she can't protect her country.
You bring up good points, and she would also fall under the criterion of knowledge of the New World, as james0246 pointed out, as well as being a girl. I think it's conceivable, and the fact that she's in love with Luffy only makes it more possible. Whether or not she is or is not stronger than him remains to be seen, though, as it's quite possible that she has a lot more up her sleeve; enough that even Sengoku would be relieved when she decided to join them.

I just think that it's a little too predictable, and maybe partially redundant to have a character with an established backstory and connections to return to join the crew. Oda is usually pretty unpredictable, and so I think the next crew member will be completely out of the blue. I also don't know how well a heartless Empress would fit in with the rest of the crew. Although he DOES like to have beautiful women join the Straw Hats, lol. I would love to see it, but I'm not sold on that it will until it actually happens.
Old 2009-08-09, 16:01   Link #244
andy

Well i just hope Oda adds another female to the crew, be human , fish or something else.

But truth be told i rather luffy get his last member in his crew before the new world so we could watch all them grow together until they meet raftel. The last place they have to go before they enter the new world is fishman island so it would have to be there .
Old 2009-08-09, 16:04   Link #245
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf777 View Post
I just think that it's a little too predictable, and maybe partially redundant to have a character with an established backstory and connections to return to join the crew. Oda is usually pretty unpredictable, and so I think the next crew member will be completely out of the blue. I also don't know how well a heartless Empress would fit in with the rest of the crew. Although he DOES like to have beautiful women join the Straw Hats, lol. I would love to see it, but I'm not sold on that it will until it actually happens.
Never know, Oda establishing her, unlike the other Shichibukai, may be him preparing us for her joining .
Old 2009-08-09, 16:16   Link #246
sanzo
33million Humming Brook

it would be too weird if she joined only because shes stronger than luffy. She might not be able to beat luffy in a fight because of her infatuation with him holding her back but she is able to defeat people stronger than luffy. and just an example of Hancock being stronger than luffy is that the marines and world Gov trust her to help balance out the war against whitebeard and his crew by putting her in the forefront of the battle.
Old 2009-08-09, 16:28   Link #247
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanzo View Post
it would be too weird if she joined only because shes stronger than luffy. She might not be able to beat luffy in a fight because of her infatuation with him holding her back but she is able to defeat people stronger than luffy. and just an example of Hancock being stronger than luffy is that the marines and world Gov trust her to help balance out the war against whitebeard and his crew by putting her in the forefront of the battle.
We don't know how Hancock would fair in a battle. So far, we seen her strength lie within her beauty. Even that Vice-Admiral has to stab himself to keep himself from being enticed. The strength of her beauty is only strengthen in the fact that she has the "Haoushoku Haki (King's deposition)". And her DF abiliy. We can only assume she has strength and speed thanks to her unique Haki.
Old 2009-08-09, 22:52   Link #248
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Bleach sucks.

Theres a reason why there is a page in the Bleach subforum called 'what went wrong in Bleach', and that it reaches 19 PAGES with 350+ posts and 19k+ views. There is also a reason why there isn't such a thread in either the OP or Naruto subforums (or in fact anywhere else).
The only reason why there isn't a "What went wrong with Naruto" thread in that subforums is cause the members bash it in the very chapter threads. No one made one in the one piece forums cause I'm still guessing on what the title should be.. And the only reason why the "What went wrong with Bleach" thread extended to 19 pages with 350 posts and 19k+ views is cause Phenomenal was schooling everyone in there on Bleach's story points. Proving why it's bad reading by the fandom and not bad writing. So, naturally, many would attend my class.

Quote:
That is actually not true. Since Jozu is not a swordsman, Mihawk could lose to him and still keep his title, so there is actually nothing wrong with that.

I think people are overestimating Mihawk a little here and underestimating Jozu.
Wrong, then you could kiss your almighty Emperor Shanks good bye then since Shanks couldn't even beat Mihawk with TWO arms. Mihawk shouldn't lose to anyone in the One Piece universe except to maybe Whitebeard. It's probably the only reason why he came to this war, to test his strength against Whitebeard. It's the story itself who hyped Mihawk, if it's all for not, it just means Oda trashed Zoro's dreams and it's time for Zoro to start rubbing a lamp for new wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Bleach is just pure shit, written by a guy who does not even try to tell a story. It is clear he hasn't thought his story through, and that he is dragging it out for as long as he can, in order to milk it for cash. I find that rather despicable. Each Bleach chapter can be summed up in no more then one sentence. There are no plot twists or surprises; no chemistry between the characters; no depth in the world, no excitement either. Its just 'fight fight fight'. This isn't good story telling. In fact, I'm not sure if I'd go as far as to call it story telling. His story telling stopped after the Soul Society arc ended; the subsequent arcs were just repeats of the SS arc..
No story? Have you read the Pendulum arc?? Nah you didn't.. It SMOOSHES on many arcs one piece has had, and the characters have no chemistry in Bleach? I laugh at this, Kubo is probably the best at showing characters interact with each other and brining out their personalities in battle. Bleach develops it's characters in and through battle [Just like Naruto]. Seriously, you have to be blind not to see it or you need to start reading Bleach in Braille.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
But MAN. Whitebeard has the whole thing COVERED. I mean: I don't even think Phenomenal can argue that the Whitebeard effect and his whole BEING right now is enough to blow away the other Big Two. I mean...wow. The guy just cracked the sky. That was nothing short of HISTORIC
Historic? Not even close, lets not even go there and I seen a guy in Bleach who could manipulate time. We have to wait and see how this whole thang plays out cause Naruto is still in the lead cause of the Pain arc and Bleach coming in second. I know people are getting excited for Oda to show something in this war after the dismal arcs we have had to endure of late.[ Amazon,/Impel down] We have to see how all the big three climax this thang.

We'll see how this war plays out...
Old 2009-08-09, 23:34   Link #249
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenal View Post
The only reason why there isn't a "What went wrong with Naruto" thread in that subforums is cause the members bash it in the very chapter threads. No one made one in the one piece forums cause I'm still guessing on what the title should be.
Please ask for such a thread to be created (start one in the Naruto sub-forum as well). I am still baffled by much of your negative criticism of One Piece (not to mention a great deal of your overly positive criticism of Bleach (Naruto seems to be the only member of the unholy trinity that you posit any normal level of criticism for, even if you became a bit of a Pain fanboy recently willing to forgive Kishimoto for any wrong doing)).

Quote:
Wrong, then you could kiss your almighty Emperor Shanks good bye then since Shanks couldn't even beat Mihawk with TWO arms. Mihawk shouldn't lose to anyone in the One Piece universe except to maybe Whitebeard. It's probably the only reason why he came to this war, to test his strength against Whitebeard. It's the story itself who hyped Mihawk, if it's all for not, it just means Oda trashed Zoro's dreams and it's time for Zoro to start rubbing a lamp for new wishes.
As a quick reminder, the data books specifically say that Shank’s has never defeated Mihawk, but they also never said that Shanks has lost to Mihawk. Rather, it is fan assumption that Shanks has lost to Mihawk, and that is only do to the assumption that Shanks is only a swordsman (i.e. his sword is the primary focus of his abilities). Additionally, the data books also stated that Shanks has lost none of his power, even if he has lost an arm (which could indicate that Shanks was never fully a swordsman).

That being said, I fully agree that there is no way in hell that Mihawk would lose to anyone on this field of battle besides possibly Whitebeard, maybe the Admirals (I'm still undecided on whether or not Mihawk would be stronger than an Admiral (I don't really care if he is or isn't, I'm simply neutral on the issue)), and maybe Sengoku. He should be able to beat everyone else. That doesn't mean, though, that a fight with Jozu would be extremely easy (he is Whitebeard's 3rd in command after all); I expect Jozu to pull of something surprising, before Mihawk rips him a new one.
Old 2009-08-10, 00:19   Link #250
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Please ask for such a thread to be created (start one in the Naruto sub-forum as well). I am still baffled by much of your negative criticism of One Piece (not to mention a great deal of your overly positive criticism of Bleach (Naruto seems to be the only member of the unholy trinity that you posit any normal level of criticism for, even if you became a bit of a Pain fanboy recently willing to forgive Kishimoto for any wrong doing)).
Phenomenal is never the fanboy, I just give credit to where it is due, it's as simple as that.

Quote:
As a quick reminder, the data books specifically say that Shank’s has never defeated Mihawk, but they also never said that Shanks has lost to Mihawk. Rather, it is fan assumption that Shanks has lost to Mihawk, and that is only do to the assumption that Shanks is only a swordsman (i.e. his sword is the primary focus of his abilities). Additionally, the data books also stated that Shanks has lost none of his power, even if he has lost an arm (which could indicate that Shanks was never fully a swordsman).

That being said, I fully agree that there is no way in hell that Mihawk would lose to anyone on this field of battle besides possibly Whitebeard, maybe the Admirals (I'm still undecided on whether or not Mihawk would be stronger than an Admiral (I don't really care if he is or isn't, I'm simply neutral on the issue)), and maybe Sengoku. He should be able to beat everyone else. That doesn't mean, though, that a fight with Jozu would be extremely easy (he is Whitebeard's 3rd in command after all); I expect Jozu to pull of something surprising, before Mihawk rips him a new one.
Thanks for the input but I don't really care if Shanks is a swordsman [Though all of the story points imply it] or not. My point is he couldn't beat Mihawk, whether with Haki, a Bazooka or a devil fruit [Even though this goes against story but the fandom assumes he ate one over the past years].
Old 2009-08-10, 00:38   Link #251
itachi29al

Man, what im most curious about is what can the blue fire dude do. He most be strong as he ranks higher then Ace and second only to whitebeard. Not only that but he stoped and admiral, who we have already seen rip through the supernovas like paper, in his path. I expect a lot from him. oh and i think were goin to see Mihawk do some really cool stuff, after all they need to build him up for his epic battle with Zoro. Let just say i woudnt want to be diamond dude right now.
Old 2009-08-10, 01:08   Link #252
james0246

Quote:
Thanks for the input but I don't really care if Shanks is a swordsman [Though all of the story points imply it] or not. My point is he couldn't beat Mihawk, whether with Haki, a Bazooka or a devil fruit [Even though this goes against story but the fandom assumes he ate one over the past years].
That is fine. I was never trying to detract from Mihawk. Rather, I was emphasizing that Mihawk never defeated Shanks. Ultimately we are saying the same thing (neither beat the other), just placing our emphasis on different characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi29al View Post
Man, what im most curious about is what can the blue fire dude do. He most be strong as he ranks higher then Ace and second only to whitebeard. Not only that but he stoped and admiral, who we have already seen rip through the supernovas like paper, in his path. I expect a lot from him.
I think the key to Marco's power lies in the spinning/rotation he did before the attack hit. Consequently, the blue flames could simply be an after-effect of his spinning/rotation.
Old 2009-08-10, 01:16   Link #253
Master Mold
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Phenomenal is never the fanboy, I just give credit to where it is due, it's as simple as that.
Just say this weeks One Piece chapter was the best and they will be off yo back in a jiff.

Quote:
That just makes Shanks look worse IMO, not to mention closes the case that swordsman can go up against anything in the One Piece world and hold there own whether it be DF or what, Along with the mountain of canon evidence that some cats seem to always forget about. In any case Shanks is a Swordsman until the story says otherwise not what the fandom/fanboys assume just because they find it distasteful.

Last edited by Master Mold; 2009-08-10 at 01:50. Reason: Reason for Editing Reason for Editing:
Old 2009-08-10, 02:44   Link #254
james0246

I'm bored, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mold View Post
Just say this weeks One Piece chapter was the best and they will be off yo back in a jiff.
Or, and this may sound crazy, you could write a legitimate post in which you describe, in bullet-point format, why what we are reading/have read is bad. You, and 1 or 2 others, have never described what is wrong or why it is wrong (though, the posts from several readers that have described why they dislike the Strawhat crew not being present, etc, were able to at least construct arguments supporting their dislike), you merely exclaim loudly that it (whatever it may be) is bad, and then mock others for disagreeing with your vague complaints. Then, when people start calling you a troll, you become defensive and start quoting yourself in hopes that the other poster will simply relent out of sheer annoyance.

Bear in mind, this is not meant as an attack. I have asked you to explain your position several times, and, at best, you give me mostly short (but not sweet) responses that almost always conclude with you calling someone a fanboy (which is your end all argument for anyone that disagrees with you).

To clear up any confusion, and to, if nothing else, construct something that will stop all the potentially annoying people that needlessly call you a troll (which you are not), simply write a detailed post concerning why One Piece is (currently or otherwise) bad (this goes for Phenomenal as well). Afterwards, you need only reference your post, even link to it, and call those that unfairly attack you trolls themselves and potentially even call in a moderator to get the negative posts to stop.

Quote:
That just makes Shanks look worse IMO, not to mention closes the case that swordsman can go up against anything in the One Piece world and hold there own whether it be DF or what, Along with the mountain of canon evidence that some cats seem to always forget about.
Where's this mountain? Because, at best, there is an ant hill that can be used to base speculations off of, but you cannot state anything conclusive about anything.

edit: I misundersdtood the "mountain of evidence line", you were reffering only to Swordsman being among the elite (I though you were reffering to Shanks being a swordsman). So, I agree with you that a Swordsman can be among the elite.

That being said, why would this make Shanks look bad? We already know that Shanks and Mihawk are 2 of the strongest individuals in the entire world (there are maybe 3 or 4 individuals that we can speculate as being stronger than them (1 for sure is Whitebeard)), so why is them being nearly equal in anyway bad?

Quote:
In any case Shanks is a Swordsman until the story says otherwise not what the fandom/fanboys assume just because they find it distasteful.
Until you see an actual fight, Shanks is nothing but an extremely powerful pirate that is seemingly equal to Mihawk. At best you can say he uses Haki and posses a sword. In other words, you are assuming (i.e. creating your own fandom) that simply because Shanks posses a sword, that must make him a swordsman. When, in reality, we cannot say anything one way or another about his possession of a sword.

To put it another way, we have seen Magellan use his sword just as much as Shanks, so does that mean Magellan is a swordsman? Or, should we just take a wait and see approach? The safest approach, and one that doesn't make an ass out of you and me (), is to just wait and see. You can speculate, sure, but you cannot assert or in anyway argue that Shanks is a swordsman, because that contridicts the speific evidence that Shanks has not been defeated by Mihawk (i.e. if Mihawk is the best swordsman, then how has he never defeated Shanks?).

Last edited by james0246; 2009-08-10 at 13:19.
Old 2009-08-10, 02:59   Link #255
Prestige

^
|

Excellent post, well done and +rep for you good sir.
Old 2009-08-10, 05:54   Link #256
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

You know I always wondered about that. Shanks and Mihawks were equals and it was never stated a clear winner between the 2, so was it that Mihawk was the strongest swordsman. But Shanks doesn't seem like the kind of guy that cares about stuff like that, but on the same note, Mihawk doesn't seem like the type to take a title such as "The World's Strongest Swordsman" if he really didn't deserve it. But being the Second Strongest doesn't mean you can't be strong enough to be a Yonkou though.
Old 2009-08-10, 13:19   Link #257
Trax
Rock beats scissors

There are too many unknowns when it comes to Shanks and Mihawk. What was the nature of their duels? Plus there's the fact that those duels were long ago and we have no idea how they have developed since then. As for Shanks, I'd say he is a swordsman since that's what made him interesting to duel for Mihawk. However that doesn't mean that's all there is to him, while Mihawk's focus is obviously on swordsmanship.

At the moment Mihawk seems to be portrayed as being slightly below Yonkou level, with his attack being stopped by a commander. However, we're talking about a commander from the strongest pirate crew here, so he's not exactly a pushover.
Old 2009-08-10, 13:43   Link #258
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Ok. You know what.
Just because Mihawk got his attack stopped by a Commander doesn't mean he isn't Yonkou Level. He attacked got stopped simply and only because the 3rd commander was a Diamond-Man. Lets wait until the next chapter (or whenever Oda shows the fight between them) before we jump to conclusions.
Old 2009-08-10, 13:46   Link #259
Master Mold
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I'm bored, so...
Look what you did Phenom. LOL!

Quote:
[Or, and this may sound crazy, you could write a legitimate post in which you describe, in bullet-point format, why what we are reading/have read is bad.
You, and 1 or 2 others, have never described what is wrong or why it is wrong (though, the posts from several readers that have described why they dislike the Strawhat crew not being present, etc, were able to at least construct arguments supporting their dislike), you merely exclaim loudly that it (whatever it may be) is bad, and then mock others for disagreeing with your vague complaints.
Then, when people start calling you a troll, you become defensive and start quoting yourself in hopes that the other poster will simply relent out of sheer annoyance.

Bear in mind, this is not meant as an attack. I have asked you to explain your position several times, and, at best, you give me mostly short (but not sweet) responses that almost always conclude with you calling someone a fanboy (which is your end all argument for anyone that disagrees with you).
Been there done that, they (Prestige mostly) still called me troll, so why would I waste my time? end result is "If you don't see One Piece in the same light as us your a troll, Even when your right about Oda, but I won't say your right, I'll just say you hate him." Or "You hate Luffy." Ive explained, Why I thought X chapter was bad, or why this was bad writing on Odas part etc etc, it may not be a wall of text, that your so fond of, but its short and straight to the point. No matter what I posted it always ended with them saying "your a troll, etc etc" even after there argument was ripped, thus there fanboys/Oda groupies.

If you want to contiue this hit me on the PM, but I don't think it will change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige
^
|

Excellent post, well done and +rep for you good sir.
I wouldn't speak on this if I where you because your the one who is in most of the examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James0246
Where's this mountain? Because, at best, there is an ant hill that can be used to base speculations off of, but you cannot state anything conclusive about anything.
Zoro vs Luffy, Zoro vs Mr 1, Zoro vs kaku, Dark king vs Yellow Monkey, now Hawk Eye vs Joz. That's a mountain proving that swordsman can hold there own against whatever in this One Piece world.

Quote:
That being said, why would this make Shanks look bad?
Using some of the members logic me and Phenom went up against in the past, "swordsman are lame and weak, Shanks is more then a swordsman when it come down to personal strength. " So, Shanks couldn't beat a lame weak swordsman. Well if swordsman are weak and lame what does that make Shanks assuming he is not a swordsman but something more?

Quote:
We already know that Shanks and Mihawk are 2 of the strongest individuals in the entire world (there are maybe 3 or 4 individuals that we can speculate as being stronger than them (1 for sure is Whitebeard)), so why is them being nearly equal in anyway bad?
I didn't say them being nearly equal is bad.

Quote:
Until you see an actual fight, Shanks is nothing but an extremely powerful pirate that is seemingly equal to Mihawk. At best you can say he uses Haki and posses a sword. In other words, you are assuming (i.e. creating your own fandom) that simply because Shanks posses a sword, that must make him a swordsman. When, in reality, we cannot say anything one way or another about his possession of a sword.
I never said just because Shanks posses a sword, that makes him a swordsman, I'm saying he is a swordsman for the simple fact that he rivaled the strongest swordsman in the world many times in the past along with duels/matches with him. Shanks went at the strongest man in the world with a sword and equaled his strike, he even learned how to use his sword with his other arm after his sword arm was bitten off by a sea king (IIRC). He has world top skills with a sword, you just don't do these things by having a sword at your side (its Common sense really).

Quote:
To put it another way, we have seen Magellan use his sword just as much as Shanks, so does that mean Magellan is a swordsman?
Did Magellan do what Shanks has done with a sword?

Quote:
Or, should we just take a wait and see approach? The safest approach, and one that doesn't make an ass out of you and me (),
Ive said it before and I will say it again Shanks is a swordsman until the story says otherwise.

Quote:
is to just wait and see. You can speculate, sure, but you cannot assert or in anyway argue that Shanks is a swordsman, because that contridicts the speific evidence that Shanks has not been defeated by Mihawk (i.e. if Mihawk is the best swordsman, then how has he never defeated Shanks?).
Shanks has been surpassed, hence Mihawk being the strongest, not Shanks, that is why there (Shanks and Mihawk) rivalry is past tense. You don't become the strongest by having an equal who you have not beaten or is still on your level example Whitebeard and Rogers, Whitebeard only became the strongest when his equal in power died.

Strongest man in the world > ALL

Strongest swordsman in the world > all other Swordsman.

Last edited by Master Mold; 2009-08-10 at 14:01.
Old 2009-08-10, 14:13   Link #260
james0246

Quote:
Zoro vs Luffy, Zoro vs Mr 1, Zoro vs kaku, Dark king vs Yellow Monkey, now Hawk Eye vs Joz. That's a mountain proving that swordsman can hold there own against whatever in this One Piece world.
I actually edited my post, before you posted, indicating that I had misread your post concerning this issue. I agree that swordsmen are among the elite (though I will say that Zoro v. Luffy is not an example of anything, they didn't really fight, and neither injured the other, so the example does not really prove anything).

Quote:
I never said just because Shanks posses a sword, that makes him a swordsman, I'm saying he is a swordsman for the simple fact that he rivaled the strongest swordsman in the world many times in the past along with duels/matches with him.
As Trax said, we cannot confirm or deny anything based on Shanks using a sword. There is no reason to assume that Shanks only rivaled Mihawk (or vice versa) because of his swordsmanship (or even a combination of swordmanship and haki). It's not like Mihawk only fights swordsmen (he is trying to battle Whitebeard after all). Their rivalry was probably similar to Whitebeard and Roger, where even if they had differing abilities, they still fought equally.

Quote:
Shanks has been surpassed, hence Mihawk being the strongest, not Shanks, that is why there (Shanks and Mihawk) rivalry is past tense.
But Shanks has not been "surpassed" otherwise the records we currently have would indicate that Shanks had lost to Mihawk. Instead, they say that Mihawk and Shnaks have never beaten each other. Conseqently, the most you can assume is that Shanks swordsmanship may have gone down, but his overall power is still the same as when he had 2 arms. Which i turn would mean that while Mihawk would be the better swordsman, that does not mean he is the better fighter.

edit: I'm going to the gym now for a few hours, so any other point I would like to make will ahve to wait. Sorry...
Closed Thread