AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-09-21, 18:24   Link #321
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

I guess I'm slow.

When I saw the scene, Osaka didn't come into my mind at all. >__<
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 21:19   Link #322
Wargumm1i
Hentai

I just started watching this anime and I have too say Im finding this anime really making its point, I mean guys looking down on girls just because there girls... racist I mean sure during that time, women where kinda not allowed too do alot except be all women like.

I mean this is just an anime I know but I really cant help but cheer for them and hope they wipe the floor with them.

Sure Baseball is a fun game and all, but guys let me ask you this, which would you choose?
Spoiler for Choose wisely:

I also did find it really funny when they announced her marriage arrangement with that guy(cant remember name) that works as her fatherīs apprentice at the store, how they were such cute innocent little couple.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2009-09-25 at 00:51. Reason: Remember this is a pg13 forum before posting a certain kind of images...
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 01:19   Link #323
ThoHell

AHHHH Bloody hell it's over. I'm completely sad. Ending was sweet and outcome was... yeah. Good series, very good series. Wish all series were this enjoyable...
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 07:19   Link #324
FuzzyWuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoHell View Post
AHHHH Bloody hell it's over. I'm completely sad. Ending was sweet and outcome was... yeah. Good series, very good series. Wish all series were this enjoyable...
Great! I'm glad it's a good ending. I was worried the ending was going to suck cause there were only 12 episodes. Now if only Doremi could put more priority in this anime, everything will be perfect.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 11:24   Link #325
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
I just started watching this anime and I have too say Im finding this anime really making its point, I mean guys looking down on girls just because there girls... racist I mean sure during that time, women where kinda not allowed too do alot except be all women like.
And do you think you are any less sexist by posting those images?

In any case, the ending, while it could have been more conclusive it was satisfactory enough since it took care to close the main plot thread and we got little titbits for the other side plot points (take care to watch after the ending song!)
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 11:30   Link #326
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I was actually deciding if I was going to watch the last 2 raws or wait for them subbed, but I guess in the end I'll be waiting when Doremi finished it.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 14:39   Link #327
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I've been thinking of giving this a try after reading an overview of it last night, but from what I've heard the show has the K-On theory of improvement where the girls are rapidly ushered into the capacity of professional players after just a handful of practice sessions to the point where they are fully on par with the boys who have been playing their whole lives and just so that they can be able to beat them at their own game and "show them that women can play sports just as good as men" or whatever. If that is true then I am strongly reconsidering how I would want to approach this show.

I mean suppose if that is the case then I could watch it as just a servicey sort of show with superwomen being all dominant that I shouldn't take seriously in the slightest. I'd kind of like to know what I'm getting into ahead of time though which is why I am popping the question so I can go in and get the right impression with the right expectations.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 17:11   Link #328
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Ahh it was a good ending to a great, fun little series. I really doubt there would be a second season but will be pleasantly surprised if it does get one.

And the end with Koume in her sailor outfit, holding hands with her fiance was just the icing on the cake

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 22:02   Link #329
ThoHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I've been thinking of giving this a try after reading an overview of it last night, but from what I've heard the show has the K-On theory of improvement where the girls are rapidly ushered into the capacity of professional players after just a handful of practice sessions to the point where they are fully on par with the boys who have been playing their whole lives and just so that they can be able to beat them at their own game and "show them that women can play sports just as good as men" or whatever. If that is true then I am strongly reconsidering how I would want to approach this show.

I mean suppose if that is the case then I could watch it as just a servicey sort of show with superwomen being all dominant that I shouldn't take seriously in the slightest. I'd kind of like to know what I'm getting into ahead of time though which is why I am popping the question so I can go in and get the right impression with the right expectations.
A great amount of Asians KIDS (especially those residing in Asian don't differ in physique much between boys and girls, don't get me wrong I'm Vietnamese so I'm not being bias or anything), so ability performance at a young age hardly differs, actually the girls tend to have more bulk on them than the guys. In Asian, actually I notice it a lot more of Japanese/Japan than any others, that guys tend to be really feminine -- naturally or try to be. And at such a low lvl skill range, reaching their lvl is quite doable. Is even more doable since it's a team sport that isn't so physically abusive.
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 23:09   Link #330
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep12 and final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-26, 01:24   Link #331
ladholyman
Translator for Doremi

Send a message via AIM to ladholyman
It was an excellent, lighthearted show.

If all goes well, the last three episodes will be out by Monday.
Old 2009-09-27, 01:16   Link #332
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

I'm still seriously on the fence about this one. While I do believe watching it could somehow show me what a club activity series done right looks like again (and make up for K-On a little) I'm still pretty certain it could also just give me a been there done that slice of life comedy feeling anyway. I'm just tapped out (Again I blame my K-On experience more than anything) on the kind of series that has obligatory episodes like the hot springs trip, the beach trip, the shopping mall trip, talking about food, yuri, school festivals etc and most of the ones I see tend to end up like that whether through sheer bad luck or what likes genre trappings.

If someone wants to tell me the show has less than half of those trappings then I'll probably check it out, but otherwise as I said I'm still on the fence with a lot of other shows I'm watching right now and kind of looking for that something that will give me no reason no to watch this one.
Old 2009-09-27, 01:28   Link #333
Proto

One of the points that makes this show stand a little apart from the rest of its comedy "slice of life" (note te quotes) comrades is that the show is historically placed, as sold, in the Taishou era. In a pre world war 2 Japan. While this does not mean that they escape all of the trappings of this particular genre. it does give it a refreshing POV that makes the theme feel original.

While the overall plot theme of the series may seem quite silly to you (a bunch of girls learning baseball and challenging the guys at it) the strength of the show comes, rather unsurprisingly from the character interactions in the series. The characters themselves are quite likeble, so it's not difficult to empathize with them, and overall you end up liking the overall day to day depiction of the struggle of this team and their voyage towards learning baseball.

That and this is the first series ever where I see serenade_beta actually liking something and not being generally disgusted at life and the particular series he is making a post of. That ought to count.
Old 2009-09-27, 01:32   Link #334
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Also the show doesn't pimp off it's characters for fanboy pandering, and with a rather strong premise and characters for its class it really doesn't need to. Plus points for that.

Also Koume.
Old 2009-09-27, 01:41   Link #335
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post

One of the points that makes this show stand a little apart from the rest of its comedy "slice of life" (note te quotes) comrades is that the show is historically placed, as sold, in the Taishou era. In a pre world war 2 Japan. While this does not mean that they escape all of the trappings of this particular genre. it does give it a refreshing POV that makes the theme feel original.

While the overall plot theme of the series may seem quite silly to you (a bunch of girls learning baseball and challenging the guys at it) the strength of the show comes, rather unsurprisingly from the character interactions in the series. The characters themselves are quite likeble, so it's not difficult to empathize with them, and overall you end up liking the overall day to day depiction of the struggle of this team and their voyage towards learning baseball.

That and this is the first series ever where I see serenade_beta actually liking something and not being generally disgusted at life and the particular series he is making a post of. That ought to count.
Yes well I don't generally pay too much attention to what serenade posts (for a handful of reasons most of which include just not being able to understand what he's upset, excited or even talking about half the time to the point where his reactions just seem random ) I'm afraid but you seem to have understood the exact question I am asking perfectly. Luckily too what you say sounds like exactly what I am looking for, with a little of what I'm not, but hey, those are the breaks I suppose. Once the next month starts and my bandwidth limit resets I'll check out a few episodes.

Quote:
Also the show doesn't pimp off it's characters for fanboy pandering, and with a rather strong premise and characters for its class it really doesn't need to. Plus points for that.
So then.....a show fully of girls that actually sells their appeal based on their personalities, beliefs, backgrounds and interactions rather than on their moe traits? Man it almost sounds like I can expect real character development from this one. Now I'm definitely in for a test run, but I'll say right now that it almost sounds too good to be true.
Old 2009-09-27, 01:55   Link #336
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well it's still a moe-based show, but it doesn't rely solely on the moe appeal to keep the show together. The moe-ness comes out strongly but it doesn't overpower the premise, which is still cute girls playing baseball, emphasis on baseball. The show doesn't forget that the story is about 9 girls trying to learn how to play baseball to counter a rather sexist POV by a boy's school baseball team, which is likewise a thinly veiled representation of changing gender views of Japan at the turn of the century. There are actually other, smaller plot threads that helps emphasize this premise.

I mean yes it's still a bunch of cute girls as the main cast, but even then their personalities (most of them anyway) and wills come out strongly. They don't compromise baseball and the desire to learn and get better for visual eye candy. Even if they're being presented as cute, it's during either practice or a real game, and baseball almost never takes a back seat.
Old 2009-09-27, 01:59   Link #337
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Well it's still a moe-based show, but it doesn't rely solely on the moe appeal to keep the show together. The moe-ness comes out strongly but it doesn't overpower the premise, which is still cute girls playing baseball, emphasis on baseball. The show doesn't forget that the story is about 9 girls trying to learn how to play baseball to counter a rather sexist POV by a boy's school baseball team, which is likewise a thinly veiled representation of changing gender views of Japan at the turn of the century. There are actually other, smaller plot threads that helps emphasize this premise.

I mean yes it's still a bunch of cute girls as the main cast, but even then their personalities (most of them anyway) and wills come out strongly. They don't compromise baseball and the desire to learn and get better for visual eye candy. Even if they're being presented as cute, it's during either practice or a real game, and baseball almost never takes a back seat.
So it's kind of like Saki then I guess only with different goals and of course sport.
Old 2009-09-27, 02:06   Link #338
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well... yeah, except they're more modestly dressed (it is the 1920's) and almost no jiggling whatsoever.
Old 2009-09-27, 09:58   Link #339
Proto

Well, they do are in the same genre, so them having similarities is inevitable, but I wouldn't say one is the expy of another in a different setting. The focus of Saki was ultimately put on the regionals, while the focus of TYM is more in learning baseball and getting good at it. with some detours along the way. Although it seems to be almost the same, because of its nature the first will be very focused on the Mahjong itself, and the characters are there to spice the matches with their particular personalities. The second I think is much more focused on the characters themselves, and baseball becomes the background the characters can develop on. There's a subtle difference there. But in any case! I think it'd be better if you judge by yourself I guess.
Old 2009-09-27, 11:26   Link #340
takodori

I think big difference between Saki and TYM is whether the players are getting better clearly(or visually) or not each time they practice and play a game that derives from the nature of the difference between mind and physical sports. If you would like to watch an anime where the characters are getting more skillful at something, this is for you.
takodori is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, japan, seinen