AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-08, 18:04   Link #881
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
I'll just answer both hyl and relentless without the double quotes.

Spoiler for Game story shenanigans:
Spoiler for story:
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 18:09   Link #882
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Spoiler for story:
Spoiler for Continuing:
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 18:20   Link #883
hyl
reading #hikaributts

I didn't notice your previous reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
We know Ange is crazy. Put a santa hat on her head, and she's off with the reindeer.
Spoiler for uhm psp spoiler?:
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 23:42   Link #884
maplehurry

hyl, where do u find that sana pic for your avatar ?
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 00:28   Link #885
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Hhhmmm... looks like my AMV is blocked in some countries. Just when recent success with Madoka Magica fanworks had left me thinking that maybe YouTube had improved its ways some. Ah well, I'll try to get my AMV up somewhere else then.

Anyway, I recently came across an interesting pic of the five main Mashiro-iro girls cosplaying as the five main Madoka Magica girls.

Here it is:

Part of the reason I'm putting this up is I have no clue who's cosplaying as who (though I would imagine Sana is playing Kyoko given similar hair color/hair design), and I'd like to see if someone with a keener eye for the Mashiro-iro girls can tell who's playing who here.
Old 2011-12-09, 00:38   Link #886
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Part of the reason I'm putting this up is I have no clue who's cosplaying as who (though I would imagine Sana is playing Kyoko given similar hair color/hair design), and I'd like to see if someone with a keener eye for the Mashiro-iro girls can tell who's playing who here.
Sana    -    Sakuno
Airi     -    Miu     -     Yutsuki

Yutsuki's the real trick because she's wearing a wig (she has purple short hair normally) and she's not really in the anime (and was only in the PSP game); the "hint" is the split hair on the top, but won't help any anime-only viewers.
Old 2011-12-09, 00:48   Link #887
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Sana    -    Sakuno
Airi     -    Miu     -     Yutsuki

Yutsuki's the real trick because she's wearing a wig (she has purple short hair normally) and she's not really in the anime (and was only in the PSP game); the "hint" is the split hair on the top, but won't help any anime-only viewers.
Thanks for that!

Yeah, the girl playing Homura was what was really throwing me off, as I couldn't even guess at her (and now I know why ).

I definitely see Airi as Mami and Miu as Madoka now that you point them out (still, I was thinking that they might have Miu as Sayaka for the implied yuri joke given Sana/Kyoko, lol )

Agian, thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Old 2011-12-09, 01:29   Link #888
RDF2050
Superidol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Here it is:

Spoiler:

LOL. kyubey is the cat. THIS IS EPIC.
Old 2011-12-09, 02:23   Link #889
dresden

I can't believe that the studio would do this. This is a betrayal that will never be forgotten. I will never forget. To pull something like this is to plunge a dagger into the backs of all its fans. Manglobe will lose sales, and rightfully so. There's a fundamental loss of trust when a company acts in such an irrational manner. I can't believe, still, that they chose to betray their fans by acting in such a willful manner. The contract between studio and viewer is broken, forever. Manglobe is forever destined for failure. This is a supreme betrayal. I can't believe, literally can't believe, that they would have this "purple girl" victory.

e: I still can't believe. My fundamental belief in anime as a viable source of entertainment has been forever sullied. Manglobe has not only shot its own foot, it has shot the feet of anime everywhere. I don't think I can watch anime anymore, nor can I be an anime fan.
dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 02:38   Link #890
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Some people might question Manglobe's choice to not animate Airi's route but it might be a clever way to boost game sales considering all those poeple who want to see Airi's route now have to play the game to get it . So if she really is the most popular and the best, from a marketing perspective i think the anime actually works better than imagined because lets not kid ourselves here, Mashiro isn't going to be a huge seller in anime discs.

In any case I almost always invariably lose out in these sorts of VN adaptions with my favorite characters always losing, but this bucked the trend for me once and I am very pleasantly surprised. Of course I liked Mashiro regardless, but it gives me a little more reason to like the show even more.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 02:40   Link #891
EroKing

I can't believe either that they went for the Miu ending. Both Sana and Airi got friendzoned in the same episode.
The only way I see this can get better is it leading to Sana x Airi You fans know you want it
Sigh, guess my expectations were too high for this series.
Old 2011-12-09, 02:47   Link #892
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresden View Post
This is a betrayal that will never be forgotten. I will never forget. [...] There's a fundamental loss of trust when a company acts in such an irrational manner. [...] The contract between studio and viewer is broken, forever. Manglobe is forever destined for failure. [...] My fundamental belief in anime as a viable source of entertainment has been forever sullied. Manglobe has not only shot its own foot, it has shot the feet of anime everywhere. I don't think I can watch anime anymore, nor can I be an anime fan.
I think we need more hysterics to reinforce the delusion and disillusionment.

In all seriousness, I simply can't believe anyone who tries to really play that game... and they are out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Both Sana and Airi got friendzoned in the same episode.
No, both of them were friendzoned a long time ago. Airi figured it out at the end of Episode 6, and it just took Sana until now to admit it.
Old 2011-12-09, 02:56   Link #893
EroKing

Well this was like a final nail to the coffin since I was hoping they could change that with 3 episodes left but with this the Miu end is now 100% confirmed.

Now to look for some Sana x Airi doujins >.>

Seriously though if there's implied/actual sex (Miu x Shingo) in like the final episode I am totally gonna rate this 9/10 o_o
Old 2011-12-09, 03:08   Link #894
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Seriously though if there's implied/actual sex (Miu x Shingo) in like the final episode I am totally gonna rate this 9/10 o_o
Sometimes (often?) the metrics used to determine the quality of something leave me in despair *looks upwards in the thread* ... I suppose the old saying that sex sells holds true

Joking aside, I actually wouldn't mind if they did - for all intents and purposes it may well portray the relationship in a more serious light than most other VN-anime adaptations out there, and since the original obviously featured said content, it's not like they would be going out on a limb to include it. If anything the 18+ content in Mashifoni was notably more important for character and relationship growth/development compared to many other VNs out there, where it mostly feels tacked on, so on second thought it might not be a bad idea if they did, so long as they can preserve said developments that come from the act.

That said, I don't really expect them to - it's not all that often that anime dares to tread this ground, and while I think pretty highly of what Manglobe has done with the series thus far, I'm highly skeptical about them breaking the mold in this regard.
Old 2011-12-09, 03:42   Link #895
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

Just wow. So much to cover and no way to really connect it all. Let's see what we can do.

If you're going to be wrong be spectacularly wrong, and boy was I ever wrong. I knew that there was a strong possibility that we were going to get the Miu ending, especially after episode 9 but I thought the tropes and conventions would win out in the end. I did not at all expect to be this wrong, this fast. Congrats to Miu and as everybody has said already, this was possible to see coming from the start if you were looking for it.

Unfortunately for my ability to forecast things, my mindset was always trust the tropes and look for flags. As our friend Keima from TWGOK has taught us, it doesn't really matter if they're good or bad flags, you just want to get noticed. So to me, when Airi was putting up flags left and right in the first few episodes it didn't matter that they weren't necessarily romantic flags and that Shingo had eyes for Miu. Flags are flags, right? That clearly wasn't the case here.

Even the situation with the two cats, which I took as a strong flag against Miu, turned in her favor in this episode. It's as if they knew what I was thinking and said "NOPE, that's actually a mark in Miu's column as well." That was the dagger that ended all hope of an Airi ending.

I feel like it's helpful to use a sports analogy to describe the thought process that went on here. To me, Airi was like the highly ranked team that comes into a big football (American Football for all the Soccer fans out there) game heavily favored. She had all the tropes and conventions and flags pointing to her. But the underdog Miu hung around for the entire first half and when you felt like the favored team should be winning by a lot, instead at halftime Airi had a small lead if she even had one at all. Then Miu comes out for the third quarter firing on all cylinders and everybody says "Here comes the upset!" But I continued to believe that all Airi needed to do was get momentum back and her superior "talent" would win out. Instead Airi never regained the momentum and Miu went on to a convincing upset victory. So that's why, despite seeing all the flags in Miu's favor, I thought that Airi would come back. The indicators in her favor were just so much stronger that I couldn't believe she'd lose until it was all over.

Which brings me to my next point. This genuinely hurts. Usually two people falling in love and coming together like this is supposed to be a happy event. Instead I find myself with an empty, defeated feeling inside. Part of it may be from being wrong about where things were going, and I do hate being wrong, but I've been wrong about such things in the past and it never hurt like this. This show has done an exquisite job, at least from my point of view, of putting us in Sana's shoes to the point where when I saw Shingo embrace Miu it felt like the person I loved was falling for somebody else. The following scene sealed things and for the first time I cried over a love triangle.

And speaking of crying, way to kill the mood with the ED there. Fans of CLANNAD will recognize the feeling I had after this episode with the upbeat ED following a scene of utter despair. It was quite jarring.

I did like seeing Airi as the voice of reason for Sana in this episode. I always liked her character and even if Shingo didn't see it I'm glad she still had a role to play. Sana was clearly not acting rationally (and who does when love is involved, really) and it was touching to me that Airi was there looking out for her friend even if her friend didn't want her help. I wasn't sure how to interpret Sana's statement that she doesn't see Miu as her rival in love. The way I saw it was that Sana knew that Shingo might choose Miu over her but she couldn't see Miu as a rival because Miu was just so much better than her. "I can't be Miu's rival. I barely deserve to compete with her." (It's possible that she meant that she didn't think Miu had any chance with Shingo but could she really be that dense?) That feeling of being in competition with somebody you just can't compete with is so demoralizing it makes your heart cry out for her.

Bravo to the creators of the game and to Manglobe for putting together something where I can feel this strongly about the characters. I really enjoyed the ride to this point and I look forward to the (probably not as thrilling as this episode) conclusion.
Old 2011-12-09, 03:50   Link #896
Zavie

Quote:
I can't believe that the studio would do this. This is a betrayal that will never be forgotten. I will never forget. To pull something like this is to plunge a dagger into the backs of all its fans. Manglobe will lose sales, and rightfully so. There's a fundamental loss of trust when a company acts in such an irrational manner. I can't believe, still, that they chose to betray their fans by acting in such a willful manner. The contract between studio and viewer is broken, forever. Manglobe is forever destined for failure. This is a supreme betrayal. I can't believe, literally can't believe, that they would have this "purple girl" victory.

e: I still can't believe. My fundamental belief in anime as a viable source of entertainment has been forever sullied. Manglobe has not only shot its own foot, it has shot the feet of anime everywhere. I don't think I can watch anime anymore, nor can I be an anime fan.
For some reason, I like your post a lot. Believe me, this is not the end of the world yet. If this really affects you that much, then I suggest you should only watch the mainstream shounen shows from now on lol. Let's face it, in reality, not all the time everybody will be happy in the end, you have to get an arrow in the knee then climb back up yourself. So do the characters in Mashifoni.

No offense, but I find the people that whining about the Shingo x Miu at this point are pretty similar to Sana, really. The obvious was like 2 episodes ago at the very least, don't notice it and and you lose the war.
Zavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 04:28   Link #897
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasDingus View Post
I wasn't sure how to interpret Sana's statement that she doesn't see Miu as her rival in love.
The reason would be because of her close relationship with and admiration she has for Miu. First and foremost, Miu will always be the one person whom Sana looks up to, a person she admires and respects. It takes precedence over anything else. To see her as a "rival in love" would mean seeing Miu at least slightly in antagonistic light related to Sana's own hopes, and she simply can't do that. It would mean being willing to consciously compete with and, given the chance, take something important away from Miu - and Sana could never do that.

Which is why you see the outburst of emotion at the very end of the episode - because of what she overheard/saw, she knows it's truly over for her. Not only because Shingo confessed to Miu, but because Miu accepted it - for all intents and purposes, this puts Shingo off-limits for Sana. She might have suspected Miu's feelings for him before (she certainly suspected his), but the events she was witness to spelled it out clearly - Miu likes Shingo. That's it, game over. Anything else than "game over" would make her a love rival of Miu, which is an impossibility for Sana.

So ... yeah, there wasn't really much double meaning behind what she said, it was an extension of the respect and admiration Sana feels towards Miu. She simply can't be her rival in love, not Miu's of all people, so she doesn't see her as one. As much as Sana likes Shingo, the thought of being Miu's rival is something she can't reconcile with.
Old 2011-12-09, 04:41   Link #898
xKeir
Upon a wishing Star

Quote:

I don't really see this as a act of betrayal o.o Aren't you exaggerating a little? :3
Though i'd admit i too was pretty much convinced in the first few episodes that Airi would be the ending heroine i thought a Miu ending wasn't that bad.
A different type of ending unlike the typical Tsundere-main character ending isn't that bad once in awhile. [actually i'd like to see more of it]

Quote:

Idk if your joking or anything :3 but i'd just say i feel a last episode scene like that would do the show injustice. I mean .. the series had done well throughout the entire season without unnecessary fanservice moments. Especially when u consider how Shingo & Miu seems to be the conservative-type of people.

It'd be plain weird + abit out of the ordinary for them to suddenly jump to have sex.
xKeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 05:01   Link #899
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

I was actually thinking that the show will end at 11 and 12 will be some type of fanservice beach episode.
Old 2011-12-09, 05:03   Link #900
EroKing

@xKeir: Well there have been some fanservice here and there so I wouldn't call it plain weird, somewhat yes. Since the source is an eroge there is always a small percentage of possibility. It's a selfish wish but hey let's just wait and see what the final two episodes have left to offer

@SoFarGone: LMAO

Tags
eroge, romance, seinen