AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-07-08, 17:33   Link #81
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristopherZ
Well, It is a fact that Comic Con is more popular. It is a comic book convention, the first thing that pops in mind for a comic convention is american comics. I am not a fan of american comics nor am I a fan of a comic book convention.

I meant to say that for anime conventions AX is probably the biggest one
...you do know that a very large chunk of Comic Con is anime, right?
i think last year the floor was basically split into "anime" and "not anime", and the anime section was crowded as hell (plenty of people on the "not anime" side, but they mostly flocked around the movie booths and such)
it's definately worth the trip
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 18:39   Link #82
KristopherZ
Car Freak

Send a message via AIM to KristopherZ Send a message via MSN to KristopherZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
...you do know that a very large chunk of Comic Con is anime, right?
i think last year the floor was basically split into "anime" and "not anime", and the anime section was crowded as hell (plenty of people on the "not anime" side, but they mostly flocked around the movie booths and such)
it's definately worth the trip
I don't know, one of my closest friends Sam tried to persuade to go to this years Comic Con (if it already passed, put "had tried") but there was/still is some hesitancy on my part because it is well known that there is a huge split between American Comic book fans and Japanese comic book fans and I really hate dealing with those elitist american comic book fans that think that american comics are the end all be all. I have enough problems as it is dealing with fellow anime fans (some are just too wierd to carry a real conversation with them) so as you can imagine I am in no place to talk with comic book fans.

Also I would like to mention that with AX there was no hesitancy because I knew that everywhere there are anime fans and no other, with other conventions there is the possibility of "other".

Also on other news....AX 2004 made it on the top of the page in anime news network

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=5189
KristopherZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 19:29   Link #83
Kyuven

0_o i don't think i ever met an "elitist american comic book fan" when i went there...it's not really anything to worry about
Comic Con hasn't passed yet, it's on the 22nd-24th
Old 2004-07-08, 19:38   Link #84
KristopherZ
Car Freak

Send a message via AIM to KristopherZ Send a message via MSN to KristopherZ
Quote:
0_o i don't think i ever met an "elitist american comic book fan" when i went there...it's not really anything to worry about
Comic Con hasn't passed yet, it's on the 22nd-24th
Well, I burned all my money and energy into AX.....so it is a no go this year
KristopherZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 20:06   Link #85
Kyuven

Quote:
Well, I burned all my money and energy into AX.....so it is a no go this year
hehehe...i know what that's like...i'll be doin that at Comic Con
Old 2004-07-08, 21:46   Link #86
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
I don't know, one of my closest friends Sam tried to persuade to go to this years Comic Con (if it already passed, put "had tried") but there was/still is some hesitancy on my part because it is well known that there is a huge split between American Comic book fans and Japanese comic book fans and I really hate dealing with those elitist american comic book fans that think that american comics are the end all be all. I have enough problems as it is dealing with fellow anime fans (some are just too wierd to carry a real conversation with them) so as you can imagine I am in no place to talk with comic book fans.

Also I would like to mention that with AX there was no hesitancy because I knew that everywhere there are anime fans and no other, with other conventions there is the possibility of "other".

Also on other news....AX 2004 made it on the top of the page in anime news network

American comicbook fanboys are as bad as manga/anime fanboys. The split you speak is big, but only on the internet, but IRL for cons like Comic Con, there's no such thing really, since the intentions of Comic Con is to promote all things comic related, and that includes manga/anime, there's even game booths, and all sorts of assorted things, Comic Con is as big as it gets, imo for anything. But yeah, you won't be singled out for your views, I don't see why people just can't respect two different artforms with essientally the same purpose. Thats just stupid.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-08, 21:50   Link #87
Kyuven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
American comicbook fanboys are as bad as manga/anime fanboys. The split you speak is big, but only on the internet, but IRL for cons like Comic Con, there's no such thing really, since the intentions of Comic Con is to promote all things comic related, and that includes manga/anime, there's even game booths, and all sorts of assorted things, Comic Con is as big as it gets, imo for anything. But yeah, you won't be singled out for your views, I don't see why people just can't respect two different artforms with essientally the same purpose. Thats just stupid.
they're melting into one squishy blob of animated goodness anyway
Old 2004-07-10, 13:54   Link #88
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
i also bought this blue haired plushy from the Under17 booth (Momoi Haruko's voice can catch your attention...) but for the life of me i dunno what it's from
it's got short blue hair, a magenta and blue school uniform, and it says
あしたの雪之丞 (Ashita no Yukinojou)
on the tag
That title sounds like an Ero-Game by Elf... later OVA-ized as a 4-part ero-anime/hentai series by pink pineapple. I'd provide links but I risk getting banned on account of sexually-explicit material on the frontpage of the pink pineapple site.
Melazoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 12:09   Link #89
KidGusto

I dont know if you guys are sick of anime expo yet but I was finally able to find hosting for the video clips. You can check them out at www.blackhaloinc.com right now there on the front page. Our interview with Mr.Lee the creator and ragnarok and out interview with Gravity corp is up there too. Hope you guys like them, for sure it'll be better next year.
KidGusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 01:04   Link #90
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:

Wow...and here I've had the opposite experience with anime fans hating on American comics as a lower-life form.

Never once have I heard an American fan rag on anime or manga as being somehow lesser than Japanese comics.

Anyway, I'll be at Comic-Con this year.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-20, 22:07   Link #91
Chun-Li
Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
Wow...and here I've had the opposite experience with anime fans hating on American comics as a lower-life form.

Never once have I heard an American fan rag on anime or manga as being somehow lesser than Japanese comics.

Anyway, I'll be at Comic-Con this year.

YAY!! i'll be at comic this year, too!... prolly only..one day though... ^^;;;;

oh.. and THANKS, KidGusto!! for the link!
Chun-Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-21, 00:56   Link #92
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCreator
I went last year, but I won't be able to attend this year. Not having a job since the beginning of the year kind of killed my chances.

I'll be at Otakon though. =p
Oh Really? I'll be at Otakon as well

It is my first time though, I wonder what kind of things I am going to see there....
Old 2006-01-02, 23:50   Link #93
lastxchink

Send a message via AIM to lastxchink
Anime Expo

Has anyone in this forum went there? Just wondering
lastxchink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 18:04   Link #94
青和紙
Aowashi

Send a message via AIM to 青和紙
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastxchink
Has anyone in this forum went there? Just wondering
I went last year (2005), and was thoroughly impressed - I enjoyed myself eventhough I spent way too much cash (it was like going to Japan for a couple of days, really - in terms of money spent). I'll be going again this year because of the shopping opportunities it provides, mostly. The cos-playing is fun to witness, and the events are pretty fun too - overall, its a great experience, especially if you're a first-timer with Cons.
青和紙 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 10:24   Link #95
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Anime Expo 2006

CLAMP is one of the featured guests!
*marks*

Ahem. Anyway, who's planning on going?
I'm heading down with a friend, so I'm going to be there the entire time (and probably a day or two afterwards).

===============================
Confirmed:
raikage
leona_senshi
Quarkboy
icehellion
raspberihevn
(I think? )

Maybe:
zalas (depending on hotel)
Narumi

Last edited by raikage; 2006-06-17 at 21:53.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 11:28   Link #96
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
Anyway, who's planning on going?
It appears that I might be in the area for business, so I may be able to catch a couple days of AX this year. I have a speaking engagement a few miles up the road, but, it's still a bit tentative at the moment due to conflicting schedules. My plans should firm up mid-June. I would like to hit AX if I could. It looks like a good time this year.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 13:21   Link #97
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
I've registered, but I still have to figure out hotel ( ._.)
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 13:42   Link #98
Narumi
*Fansubber

Registered, but I still don't know if I can go...
Old 2006-06-06, 15:22   Link #99
leona_senshi

Send a message via MSN to leona_senshi Send a message via Yahoo to leona_senshi
already reg. Going for the first 3 days with my boyfriend, my aunt lives at about 10 mins. from disneyland, so I got my free stay alreday XD
Old 2006-06-06, 18:57   Link #100
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

I'm going! First time to a big con, should be crazy.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conventions