2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-10-19, 00:22   Link #461
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
And I'd say that Seed is more convincing than 00, if only because its narration didn't emphasize the absurdity of the setting.

Where does that leave us and our subjective impressions?
Well, like any subjective impressions, nowhere but where we stand?

I wouldn't object to how you feel about the comparisons, even when I don't agree with it. It's natural that every viewer is gong to feel diffrent.

To tell you the truth, I turned off Seed after 25 episodes because I simply disliked the show. That's usually my solution if I find an anime title unattractive to my taste, rather than going to a forum and whining about it.
Not saying you are, of course, just some people seem to love to do that.

Constructive arguments are very healthy, of course. As long as it doesn't turn into a stupid "this is how I feel and you're stupid to disagree" immature flame ramblings.
I personally don't mind explaining why I feel certain ways about a show, but I wouldn't try to convince others that.
I'm telling you, talking to Gundam otakus and Trekkies are very similar to talking to religious bible thumpers. You ain't gonna convince them of anything.
I should know, since I'm an old-school Gundam fan AND a secret closet trekkie.
Old 2007-10-19, 00:36   Link #462
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
In Aoelia's profile, it was stated that one theory lied in the fact that he set a base on a different planet and died there, following his interest and pursuit in the fields of space exploration before he disappeared from public eye for over 200 years. Not to mention his talk on"people who were born on Earth" in his speech...

For all we know, this Gundam technology was developed in Mars.

This was the main reason for my "00 = CE prequel" joke in the Jokes thread. I know there's some disparity in the timeline minor details like government names and the existence of UN in early CE timeline, but the whole Reconstruction War that linked with depletion of fossil fuels, Cosmic calendar which linked to the era of space exploration, etc...

I was under the impression he gained fame with his theories on solar energy. Which is why Kinue recognized him. Can't lie or fake a picture like that.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-19, 00:44   Link #463
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I was under the impression he gained fame with his theories on solar energy. Which is why Kinue recognized him. Can't lie or fake a picture like that.
Well, he is a winner of a world physics prize. Well, my speculation came from his profile here, which I don't have a picture now, so I'll just quote it from DM's Clavemen pimping.

Spoiler:

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-19, 00:47   Link #464
kiramuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
What's this?
Talking about realism in anime shows?
My god, when will people learn the absurdity of this never-ending and resurfacing debate?

In truth, realism relating to real world physics, technology, or politics are not important in most cases.
What's important is how "convincing" it is.

As for Gundam 00, I'd say so far it's "more convincing than Seed, less so than most UC series".
Yeah but saying something in gundam is "convincing" is another way of saying that you are duped by its pervasive pseudo-realism.
kiramuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-19, 00:51   Link #465
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Moving on... (I would have prefered to post this in some sort of tech discussion thread, if it existed...)

According to those who purchased the model kits, it was described that the major method of aerial propulsion in 00 is hydrogen plasma-jets, now that oil is gone.

So it is almost certain now, that the electricity extracted from space is used to convert water into hydrogen as a vehicle fuel source.

Quote:
Well, he is a winner of a world physics prize. Well, my speculation came from his profile here, which I don't have a picture now, so I'll just quote it from DM's Clavemen pimping.

Spoiler:
Interesting... According to that webpage, the scientist never officially died. He disappeared, and the only reason people claim he had died 200 years ago was because they assumed he only lived to be 100.

To be the inventor of both the space elevator and the mobilesuits? The man is a genius. And if he somehow found a way to live 200 years, I wouldn't be surprised if he could create the Gundams.
Old 2007-10-19, 01:38   Link #466
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramuro View Post
Yeah but saying something in gundam is "convincing" is another way of saying that you are duped by its pervasive pseudo-realism.
Oh, and why exactly is that a problem?
Every fiction is "pervasive pseudo-realism".

Do you feel you somehow "lost" to the creators if you enjoy a show as is?
Let me tell you who the real "winners" are.
Those who manage to enjoy a show for what it is.
I run away from shows I don't enjoy, of course. I hate losing.

If you can't enjoy a show because you feel it "dupes you to believe it", then I can't possibily see how you can enjoy any fiction.
Now, not being able to enjoy a show simply because it sucks or doesn't interest you would be a totally diffrent story.
Old 2007-10-19, 04:00   Link #467
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Newtype Scan spoilorzzzz!!

Spoiler:
Old 2007-10-19, 04:04   Link #468
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
Newtype Scan spoilorzzzz!!

Spoiler:
That's not Union Flag. That's AEU's Exact and the idiotic pilot Patrick. I wouldn't call Patrick an Ace by any stretch of the imagination...
Old 2007-10-19, 04:29   Link #469
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
That's not Union Flag. That's AEU's Exact and the idiotic pilot Patrick. I wouldn't call Patrick an Ace by any stretch of the imagination...
Enact.

Personally, I do hope they buck up on their 00 spreads. Frankly, almost all of the magazine spreads of the characters/etc come across as being extremely uninspiring in terms of artistic portrayal.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-19, 04:32   Link #470
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

LOl! yhea. I always get confused by thoes mobile suits
Old 2007-10-19, 06:13   Link #471
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Quote:
Spoiler:
Wow. Awesome. Is it possible that the 'humanoid machines' that he built are the Gundams? That will mean that the Gundams are 200 years old but still much more powerful than other MSs!
Old 2007-10-19, 07:11   Link #472
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
Wow. Awesome. Is it possible that the 'humanoid machines' that he built are the Gundams? That will mean that the Gundams are 200 years old but still much more powerful than other MSs!
He wouldn't be much of a genius if he couldn't improve his own inventions during the last century, would he? (Assuming he was still alive)

He invented mobile suits like those simple workloaders in episode 1. The Gundams came later.
Old 2007-10-19, 07:49   Link #473
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Well there you go, it says right there his prominence in solar energy and the development of MS. That theory he built a space base was in respect to his disapperance.

Quote:
He invented mobile suits like those simple workloaders in episode 1. The Gundams came later.
But again like I said, he's had quite some time to develop them.

Quote:
To be the inventor of both the space elevator and the mobilesuits? The man is a genius. And if he somehow found a way to live 200 years, I wouldn't be surprised if he could create the Gundams.
I can see it now,

"Didn't you die like 200 years ago?"

"hahaha, I invented the Space Elevator, Solar energy, and the Humanoid machine, how hard do you think it was for me to make the fountain of youth?"
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-19, 08:13   Link #474
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlion
I would say that character like Setsuna, who probably went through some sort of pilot training piloting and becoming a pilot makes more sense then Kira's situation.
The difference would seem fine given that people are commonly forced into combat with little or no training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige
In truth, realism relating to real world physics, technology, or politics are not important in most cases.
What's important is how "convincing" it is.
I'd agree that realism isn't really all that important; however, the problem with this is that it's easier to be "convincing" to people who don't know anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige
If you can't enjoy a show because you feel it "dupes you to believe it", then I can't possibily see how you can enjoy any fiction.
Now, not being able to enjoy a show simply because it sucks or doesn't interest you would be a totally diffrent story.
The problem isn't really with those who can tell the difference - it's easy enough to turn the brain off and just enjoy a show for what it is. If that weren't the case, it'd be impossible to enjoy any Gundam show.
Old 2007-10-19, 10:11   Link #475
kira-sama

Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
Fuih
the second episode made me scream ^_^;
i really like exia and i think Setsuna don't have expression

and for me all of the gundam that i dislike Gundam is Tieria gundam his gundam so fat hehehehe

to tell the truth i can't clearly remember all the characters name like
Old 2007-10-19, 12:34   Link #476
rpgman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira-sama View Post
Fuih
the second episode made me scream ^_^;
i really like exia and i think Setsuna don't have expression

and for me all of the gundam that i dislike Gundam is Tieria gundam his gundam so fat hehehehe

to tell the truth i can't clearly remember all the characters name like
Setsuna does look like he is from the Middle East judging from his skin tone and his expression when he was a kid. Exia is a great close-range Gundam, but there should be one more Gundam that specializes in close-range combat. If you're talking about Tieria's Virtue Gundam, then it is meant to be a heavy assault unit that can inflict massive amount of damage. The design reminds me of Maria's Siebzehn from Xenogears. Tieria's last name also struck me since Erde was also used in the Xenosaga series for Erde Kaiser and it various forms.
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-19, 12:48   Link #477
Tangerine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman1 View Post
Tieria's last name also struck me since Erde was also used in the Xenosaga series for Erde Kaiser and it various forms.
Tieria Erde is a code name.
Erde means "Earth" in germany. Tieria is a female name which sounds so much like "Earth" in spanish: "Tierra"
Tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-19, 14:49   Link #478
Deathwing
what do i know

just finished watching decent episode but the next one is gonna be good
im rooting for Graham to beat that sad imitation of Heero (Setsuna) seriously strike a blow for originality and teach the bastards that the should reuse character traits so blatantly.

also i noticed the OP is by L'arc~en~ciel and they do a really good job as far as anime Ops are concerned
Deathwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-19, 14:55   Link #479
Nvis
Where are the good animes

I'm curious about that creator(CB broadcaster) now.

So, either the creator is:
  1. over 200 years old...
  2. a cyborg/brain in jar
  3. cryogenic sleep
  4. clone/ancestor look-alike
  5. dead, but with pre-recorded message (a successor made the Gundams)
  6. The message is entirely fake
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-19, 15:33   Link #480
_X12A_Testament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
I'm curious about that creator(CB broadcaster) now.

So, either the creator is:
  1. over 200 years old...
  2. a cyborg/brain in jar
  3. cryogenic sleep
  4. clone/ancestor look-alike
  5. dead, but with pre-recorded message (a successor made the Gundams)
  6. The message is entirely fake
I have been thinking that Tiera has a connection to the creator... Either clone or android with conciousness implanted.
_X12A_Testament is offline   Reply With Quote